Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ The King of Sorrows ❯ Serendipity ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 3: Serendipity

Disclaimer: I don't own lots of things. First of all, the title I used above is NOT mine, Escaflowne is not mine (as well as its characters) and the quote is not mine.

"I hold it true, what'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all."
-Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam

Hitomi stared up at the sky that night, pondering about Van, the 'extraterrestrial sighting' and about her past when she was in high school. She reminisced about her best friend Yukari (who still is her best friend now) and her jejune fantasies about Amano, who had died recently. It had been six months ago when Amano, a Japanese business man died in an aeroplane crash, costing the lives of him, the pilot, crew and his father. Headlines were launched everywhere and the Susumu Empire started falling, as fast as it began. Despite these sometimes dramatic memories, Hitomi couldn't help but focus on Van de Fanel of Fanelia, her lost love. She loved how his hair colour resembled that of a raven's wing, full, soft and ebony. It had been too long since their last encounter five years ago when she was a fresh, young teen. Hitomi still longed for Van's return and if she could, her return to Gaea.

All Hitomi had of Van's was a single white feather which released moments with him that would be forever etched in her mind. Hitomi kept it close to her heart and luck was always with her when she did. Remembering the place she kept it in, Hitomi walked over to her jewellery case in her dorm, rummaging through all the fine jewels and charms she collected through her life. Finally, she pulled out a fine white feather, in perfect shape with wings so soft and sleek. Suddenly, Hitomi heard an odd ringing sound outside, so with the feather in hand, she stepped out onto the balcony, to find out what it was for. Huge flashes of different coloured light descended upon her, lifting her up in what seemed to be a pillar of light. Surprised, Hitomi looked around her surroundings and smiled, because this meant she was destined to head for Gaia.


Gaia-Fanelia

Van paced around his enormous chamber, frantically thinking about the unknown 'creature' who crept into his room for attack. Allan said he was lucky to have survived the ambushed attack. Allan and his soldiers had taken their place back, carefully guarding the perimeter of the castle, for the sake of Van's life. The attack had unleashed confusion among the knight, trying to think back in the past about who it was.

Allan looked up at the dark sky, remembering the past years, when Hitomi roamed Gaia, when Escaflowne lived as the 'white dragon' and when Van's brother, Folken was alive. He spotted a flash of light descending upon Fanelia with tremendous speed. It was heading towards the balcony where Van was! Alarmed by this sudden flash of light, Allan raced up to the King's chambers, warning everyone he could while he raced towards his destination.

The pillar of light slowed down as it reached the balcony of King Van, which seemed to be where it was heading. Van turned around, awed by the light that suddenly appeared at his balcony. The luminous light glared in his eyes, so he protected them with his arm. As the light gradually disappeared Van set his arm down, watching as a figure emerged from the light. It looked like an angel, taking graceful steps towards him never hesitating. With caution, Van grasped the handle of his sword ready to take it out. When the light has completely disappeared, Van unsheathed his sword and held it at the figure's throat.

"I knew you would come back," said Van, his sword at its throat.

The figure stopped in its tracks, put its hand around the blade, not caring if it slit its hands and Van let the figure take it down. Its gentleness touched him, resembling the gentleness of someone in his past. He looked at the figure, clad in a red shirt and black pants. Van smiled for he knew at once who this was; Hitomi.

A/N: Sorry everyone for the long wait! I was really low on inspiration and the Olympics just started a week ago, so I was cheering for Canada. Even though we only have 5 medals, I was so proud when Catriona LeMay Doan won gold and the Canadian National Anthem was played! Anyway, I hope at least one of the North American countries gets number one in the medal count, cuz I don't think Canada will anymore! Anyway, I hope u liked this chapter cuz I don't think I'll be continuing until next month! I'm also proud that Jamie Salé and David Pelletier finally got their gold! They totally deserved it and our anthem was played again! Well, until next time, Ciao!

-shiro*tenshi-