Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ The White Dragon ❯ Inauguration ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

This came in a total brainwave when I woke up this morning. This is the sequel to "Beyond the Moon"; I suggest you read that before this. There are a lot... more than a lot; it's almost all original characters. If I like the plot enough, I may just change the characters and make it into an original story. Anyway, enjoy. I may be changing the title as things progress.

The White Dragon

Prologue

"Sayo! It's time for dinner!"

"In a minute, mom!" A small girl sat on the porch, rolling something about in her palms. The sun was setting, casting long, orange bands of light across the street. The child looked young for her age of fifteen, for she was small in womanly features but average in stature. She had bright, red curly hair, which stuck out in bangs in the front and fell down her back in wild waves. It was bound near her neck by a large, blue ribbon, the color of which matched her azure eyes.

She lifted her hand, admiring the object she now held. The black band hung from one finger, and the small, ruby pendant on the bottom dangled and glowed in the waning light.

"Sayonara! It's getting cold!"

"Yes mother!" the girl responded, jumping to her feet and disappearing into the house, the small pendant tucked in her pocket.

One

Celena sat in the grass, spreading her gown out around her knees as she set down the picnic basket. A tiny girl went tumbling past, letting out a squeal of delight as she rolled down the hill. Once she reached the bottom she quickly leaped back to her feet, running up to sit beside her mother.

"Wilder, get a sandwich out and sit with me," Celena requested quietly, opening the basket. Wilder glanced up, pushing some of her wild, dark blonde hair out of her face. She had dark, deep amber eyes and fairly tan skin; the whole ensemble was completed by a dark red bottom lip, which was set out in a pout.

"But I wanna fall down the hill again!" Wilder objected, hopping to her feet. Celena shook her head.

"Get something to eat, then you can go play," she replied calmly. The girl sighed, sitting down beside her mother. Celena gave her a sandwich and set about to putting Wilder's dark, wild blonde hair in a rough bun on top of her head. The five year old completely ignored her mother's ministrations and set quickly to her task of eating.

A loud whinny attracted their attention. "Good you've decided to join us," Celena snorted. A horse stood not far off, pawing the ground in earnest. His rider sat still, regarding the land with a pair of bored, pale blue eyes.

He slowly got off, gracefully setting himself down. He seemed to be no more than ten years old, but he had a much older aura. He had cropped, whitish-silver hair, which hung around his forehead in a slightly curly fashion. His eyes were a dull, pale blue, and his face was stark white. He stood tall and lanky, with meatless broad shoulders and a shapely narrow waist, completed with long arms and legs. He wore a neutral expression as he walked towards the two women sitting on the edge of the hill.

"Chesta, is your father coming?" Celena asked, attempting to ignite the boy's interest. Chesta lifted his gaze, regarding her without emotion.

"He will arrive momentarily," he replied, his voice low and toneless. Celena nodded, taking one of Wilder's long locks and braiding it.

"Have a sandwich," Celena offered. Chesta took the object slowly, looking it over thoroughly before taking a bite. The boy turned, taking his horse in his other hand and leading it down the hill towards a post tree.

Wilder ignored her brother, happily wrapping the leftover crusts of bread in its packaging and putting it back in the picnic basket. "Where's papa?" she inquired as Chesta walked back towards them, horse tied to the bare tree at the base of the hill.

"He's coming," Chesta replied, keeping his eyes on his sister. His expression seemed to soften when he saw her, but the flash of affection was dispersed as soon as he looked away. "That stallion he got is being obstinate, and he's angry at leaving work early today." Wilder puffed out her bottom lip, looking down.

"Don't worry," Celena assured her, finishing up her hair duty. "It's not our fault the technician went on vacation." The little girl nodded slowly before jumping to her feet. She ran up to her brother, the top of her head barely reaching his stomach. Chesta looked down as Wilder tugged on his pant leg.

"Will you take me riding today?" she asked giddily, her mouth broadening to reveal a set of perfect white teeth. Chesta watched her for a moment before the sound of hoofbeats drew away his attention.

A foaming, sweaty black stallion came hop-skipping up the dell from the small village below. The animal's head jerked every so often, until it was pulled to a not-so-perfect stop a few feet away from the two children.

"Papa!" Wilder cried happily, waiting in excitement as a tall, silver-haired man jumped off the sweaty horse's back. He grabbed the horse roughly by the reins, glaring at it. The animal's eyes widened, and it quickly stopped its prancing.

Chesta took the horse from his father, disappearing down the hill without a word. Dilandau looked down, greeted by a pair of bright, maroon eyes. He couldn't help but smile when Wilder eagerly bounced into his arms.

She hugged him tightly, breaking away to grin widely at her father. Dilandau raised one eyebrow, lightly patting her dark blonde head. "Mama braided my hair this morning but it came out when I rolled down the hill so she did it again and Jajuka let me sit on his shoulders today when we went picking apples and big brother just got here a few minutes ago!" Wilder said in one long breath. Dilandau blinked, taking a few moments to process her flow of chatter.

"That's wonderful," he said, setting her on the ground. She smiled widely, running back to sit down beside the picnic basket. Celena looked up, shaking out her dressed as she stood. Dilandau walked up to her, lightly kissing her on the cheek.

"How did it go?" she inquired, sitting back down. Dilandau followed suit, Wilder climbing into his lap as soon as he was on the ground.

"It's as obstinate as can be," he replied, rifling through the picnic basket. "It will be good for racing." Celena smiled, looking up as Chesta walked over the hill. The boy sat down some ways from his family, crossing his arms and staring blankly over the small valley. Celena let out a sigh, nudging Dilandau in the shoulder and pointing to their son. Dilandau shook his head, putting a sandwich in his mouth.

"He'll get over it," he assured his wife, picking away the bread crust much like his daughter. Celena sighed.

"I hope you're right," she replied quietly.