Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ There's Not A Thing I Would Change ❯ Graduation and Promises ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~Before this chapter begins, let me explain something so you don't get confused. When I graduated from my high school, we had a thing called Safe Graduation, which is basically like a "senior class trip" after graduation until very early the next morning. This is to somehow prevent any drugs or alcohol use by the now ex- seniors. When I went, we did a cruise around the river, then we went to a Jewish version of the YMCA. We didn't get back to the school until 5am where our parents were to pick us up. No senior was allowed to drive home. That is what I included in this chapter.

Thank you to those that reviewed! I really appreciate it! And a warning, the language will be a little harsher in this chapter, but I don't think enough to change the rating.~*~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Two: Graduation and Promises

"Van Fanel." The whole area soon was on their feet with applause as Van ascended the steps to reach the principal who held out his diploma. Taking it with one hand and using the other to shake the principal's hand, Van smiled and turned to the class as he moved the tassel on his cap to the other side, signifying he had graduated. Walking down the steps, he stood by his seat as he watched a certain female walk up those same steps and head over to the principal as well. Like for him, the crowd had applauded loudly. Hitomi smiled as she took the diploma and also moved the tassel. They both made it. They had graduated.

"Congratulations, Class of 2000. May you move on with your lives, but never forget where you came from. I now pronounce you all graduated."

With that, the entire class threw their caps up high into the air as the band played and all the families clapped.

Even though all the seniors were bunched up together, Van and Hitomi pushed their way through and hugged each other. "I still can't believe it, Van."

"I can for myself, but you? Why the heck did they give you a diploma?"

Hitomi backed up a bit and playfully hit his arm. "Not funny Fanel."

He smiled down at her, then looked over to see their families run over. "Picture time, 'Tomi."

"Oh joy." She rolled her eyes as the cameras were whipped out. She and Van stood together holding up their diplomas and smiling. After being blinded, they took off their gowns and handed them to their parents. "See you guys in the morning!"

Varie looked at them both all teary eyed. "Now you two have fun at Safe Graduation."

Van went over and hugged his mom as Hitomi hugged hers. Then Varie turned to Hitomi and took her into a huge hug as well. Of course Maaya did the same with Van. What Van didn't expect was Maaya whisper something into his ear. "Thank you. She wouldn't have survived without you."

After sending a questioning look at her, Van was pulled away by Hitomi, who was trying to catch up with the rest of the senior class. They all waited in the gym until they were told to board the bus. Hitomi looked at Van. "So, Mr. Popular, what are we doing this year?" (A/N: we technically weren't supposed to know what was planned.)

Van looked at her and put a finger to his lips. "Shh. It's a surprise." He smiled as she stuck her tongue out at him. "Oh real mature, 'Tomi."

"Never said I was."

Soon they were told to board the specific bus they were assigned on. Lucky for them, Van signed both him and Hitomi to the same bus. They sat next to each other and waited until they reached their destination. All the seniors were talking about what the surprise could possibly be while Hitomi just laid her head back on the seat and closed her eyes.

"Tired?"

Without opening her eyes, Hitomi answered him, "well, I figure if we're going to be up all night, might as well get some sleep."

Van shook his head at her. "I thought you would have an adrenaline rush by now."

"I do. I'm trying to calm it down."

"Ooookay then." Van turned to the person across the aisle and talked to them for a bit, but kept looking back at Hitomi to make sure no one disturbed her. She could get really scary if someone woke her up.

He was only half paying attention to the other person for his mind was still on what her mom had said. 'What did she mean she wouldn't have survived? Is that your secret, Hitomi?' He looked over at her one more time to see she was sleeping peacefully. 'She may be scary when she's awake, but she looks like an angel when she sleeps.' Shaking his head, he went back into the conversation he was supposed to be having.

~

An hour and a half later, they reached the harbor where the dinner boat cruise was waiting for them. Van looked over at Hitomi who was still somewhat asleep. Gently, he pushed her shoulder back and forth. "Wake up sleepy head."

Her eyes started to flutter open. "Huh?"
"We're here. I thought you'd like to come with us all, unless you'd rather stay here and sleep on the bus."

"Okay okay. I'm coming."

After walking off the bus and on the dock, Van heard Hitomi start grumbling. "Something wrong?"

"I can't stand these shoes! A man must have designed them so he could laugh at women for their misfortune."

"Oh come on. They look fine on you."

She turned and looked at him straight on. "If high heals were so great, men would be wearing them."

Van just laughed and in one swoop picked up Hitomi into his arms so he was carrying her bridal style. "What the hell do you think you're doing, Fanel?!? Put me down!!!"

"You said you're feet hurt from the shoes. I'm just trying to make you more comfortable, Kanzaki."

"I can walk by myself, thank you very much."

"I know, but I'd rather carry you. Gives you something to complain about."

"Oh, you're hopeless!"

"I know. It's a gift."

The only ones to stare at the pair were the ones working on the cruise. Everyone else just shrugged. 'It's just Van and Hitomi.'

When they got to the plank thing to board the ship, Van finally put Hitomi down so she could walk on herself. Of course she hit him first, then went on. He just smiled and followed her.

The inside of the cruise was just beautiful. On the first level were a few tables and chairs as well as a small dance floor. There was a "bar" there as well. On the opposite end of the level was a stair case that went up to another level with more tables. The second level overlooked the dance floor below. The level above hosted games like Jeopardy and such. The top level gave the students a beautiful night time view of the city.

After finding a table, waiters came around with different foods to try. Hitomi took a little bit while Van took more then a little bit of everything. "You are such a pig, Van."

"Not really. You're just too picky."

"Unlike some of us, most people don't have the metabolism of a field mouse, Mr. Fanel."

Below, Van could suddenly hear the music begin to play. He turned to his best friend with this weird look in his eyes. "Come on Hitomi. Let's go dance."

"Umm, no."

"Come on! You're never going to see these people again."

"No."

"Pretty please?"

"You should know better then that. I don't dance."

"It's just you and me, 'Tomi."

"Now I'm definitely not doing it, Sparky."

Van proceeded to try the puppy dog face on her, which she just smiled at. "Nice try, but no. Why don't you go ask Sachi to dance instead? I have it on good authority that she has a crush on you."

Van leaned over to her and smiled. "Because I'd much rather dance with you."

Rolling her eyes, Hitomi got up and headed for the stairs. "I'll be on deck. Tell me when you have this dance idea of yours out of your head."

Watching her leave, Van just shook his head. He eventually went to dance a bit, but he didn't ask anyone to dance with him. They either came to him or just danced around him on the floor.

After awhile, Van left the dance floor to go up on deck to check up on his best friend. He knew she hated dances. No one ever asked her to go with them, well except for him. Now that he thought about it, he never really saw her dance or dress up even once. That was fine with him. He liked her just the way she was. The other guys were idiots not to be interested in her. Hitomi was smart, funny, ready to do just about anything… He could just go on and on. That was his best friend and he wouldn't have it any other way.

Finally, he reached the top deck and the view just took his breath away. The city was alive with the bright lights that seemed to dance on the water. Before him, sitting on the little seating area, leaning against the railing, was a woman with sandy brown hair gazing out into the water. Her hair moved with the wind the boat was creating, also causing her dark purple dress to sway as well. The dress went down to a little bit above her knees and her shoes were cast aside.

After taking a moment to catch his breath, Van walked over to the woman and sat down beside her. "This seat taken, Miss?"

The woman turned her emerald eyes to him, which sparkled with the city lights combined with the twinkling stars above. A smile spread on her lips. "Actually, I was saving it for someone."

"Anyone important?"

"Not really. Just a friend who'd rather dance the night away."

"Well, far be it for me to leave a lady all by herself. I would not feel like a gentleman if I left you out here in the cold by yourself. Someone might come by with less than honorable intentions."

With a smile on her face, Hitomi grabbed his arm. "Just sit down you nut."

After sitting down, he smiled at her. "What kind? Peanut? Cashew?"

"Macadamia."

"Ah, my favorite."

Hitomi leaned her head back to look at the stars about. "Got tired of dancing?"

"Got tired of being without my best friend. What are you doing up here by yourself? They served dinner awhile ago."

"Wasn't hungry. I'd rather watch the lights."

"Ah, a hopeless romantic underneath that tough side. How cute."

"Never call me that, Fanel."

Van looked over at her fully. "Well, am I allowed to call you beautiful? Cause you do look beautiful tonight, Hitomi."

Hitomi looked over at him as if he had ten heads. "Are you crazy? I'd rather be in my plain t-shirt and jeans."

"Yes, I know, but you do look really nice tonight. How much did your mom pay you to dress up?"

The corners of her mouth began to turn up slightly. "$20."

"That's all? I'm surprised you didn't hold out for more."

"I'm fine with that."

A comfortable silence overtook them then as they just sat and enjoyed each other's company. It was nice and peaceful.

The silence was broken but a soft female voice. "Van? You will keep your promise, right?"

"I always keep my promises, especially to you, Hitomi."

Without looking at him, she asked, "There was another reason why we moved here, Van. It wasn't just because of my mother's job."

Van sat up a bit and looked at her, not saying anything with his voice, but his eyes told her to continue. After a moment, she did. "Back home, I mean back in Mystic Moon, I had a reputation. It wasn't a very good one. I was the slut, even though I never did… that. There was this guy that was interested in me and kept following me around. He would chase off all other people, saying I was his and that no one else was to even look at me. I constantly refused him.

"One night, we were at the same party. This is back when I actually liked to dance. I was out having some fun. Some girl from school came up to me and said she thought she saw someone walk into one of the back rooms with my friend, about to force themselves on them. This was after my mom's abusive boyfriend, so I was trained to defend myself and all. So I went back to the rooms to find her. I finally found one I had assumed was the one. After I walked in, the door slammed behind me. I turned around and to my horror found it was that guy who was obsessed with me. He had locked the door and had this lustful look in his eyes. I'm still not sure if he was drunk or not. He came at me, licking his lips. With great force he threw me onto the bed and started to climb on top. It would do no good to scream because the music was far too loud. He was right on top of me, about to lower himself on me… I kicked him, you know where, and ran towards the door. I threw open the door and ran out of there, seeing my friend was perfectly fine on the other side of the room with another friend. I just ran home and up to my room, never speaking to my mother that night. I just cried into my pillow when the full impact hit me as to what that boy was going to do.

"I didn't go to school the next day, but the day after, when I went, I noticed people standing around my locker. Curious, I walked over to see what was going on. There, spray painted on it was this one horrible word. 'Whore'. Every day after that, a new word was painted on my locker door. People were talking and the rumors were spreading like wild fire. Soon, it was all over town. People were looking at me with disgust in their eyes. Some refused service to me while others would spit at me and call me names. It didn't matter they had no clue what they were talking about.

"One night, my family and I had gone out, but when we came home, our house was painted. 'Fucking Queen of the Whores.' I can never forget that. We scrubbed for days to get it off. We ended up having to paint the whole house again. The next day, the same thing was on the house. During this time, I fell into a depression of some sorts. Many times I thought about just killing myself, of leaving all the pain behind. That's why mom tried so hard to find a new job. She thought if we left it all behind, I would be better. During the long wait, it all just got worse and worse.

"Finally, mom got the job at Astoria and we quickly moved. I had been here for some time, about two weeks, before I started school. I was so afraid the same things would happen and I just didn't want to deal with that. That was why I didn't like the fact you were following me around that day. It reminded me of that one guy and what that lead to. I didn't want a repeat of the past so I fought it off as much as I could. But you just kept on trying to get to know me, trying to be my friend no matter what. Eventually, I grew to love your family and everything. I felt I finally could be free." Hitomi smiled and looked over at Van, who was not so slightly stunned with all she had just said. "With you, I finally found a true friend. The ones I had before bought into what the rumors said. I was alone. You were exactly what I was looking for, what I needed. I guess you could say you've saved my life, Van."

What could he say to that? Van was completely stunned with all she had said. His Hitomi went through all that? It didn't sound like something she should have lived through. Van clenched his fist as a look of anger overtook him. "I didn't know. If I had known earlier Hitomi…"

"What would you have done? Punched a hole in the wall? What purpose would there be to that? It was something I needed to keep to myself."

"But, Hitomi, I might have been able to do something, make sure the person paid for what they did."

A soft smile spread on her face as she looked at him. "Van, you couldn't have done anything. I wanted to put the past behind me and when I met you, I finally felt I was able to. That's all I needed for you to do, and you did without even knowing it."

Shaking his head, Van averted his gaze towards the ground. "I just don't understand why you didn't tell me sooner."

Lightly shaking her head, Hitomi reached over and took Van by the chin, directing his gaze to her instead. "Van, listen to me. It was a very difficult time in my life. I just wasn't ready to bring the past here. Please understand."

Looking into her twinkling emerald eyes, Van had no choice but to nod. It must have been difficult for her to even speak up now. He could still see the pain in her eyes from all the memories that were reappearing in her mind. Moving quickly, Van took her into a tight embrace, letting her know he was here for her always. 'Nothing like that will ever happen again. I'll protect you, Hitomi.'

They stayed in each other's arms for a long time, letting the full moon cast its glow on them. Finally, Hitomi pulled away and looked him in the eye. "Well, that's one deep dark secret down. Your turn."

Van shook his head and smiled. "After that story, I don't think mind is that bad."

"Oh come on Van. Please?"

After thinking for a minute, Van finally began to speak. "When I was younger, my dad died in a car accident. I was so mad because the other guy was drunk and a horrible man, but he survived with no scratches at all. I got pretty much mad at the world for what happened. Eventually, I was skipping school and later joined a gang. Surprising, huh? Me in a gang. We would go around town and do whatever we wanted, beat up whoever got in our way. It didn't matter what we did as long as it was fun and destructive. It was a way to release my anger and get back at the world. Eventually I was considered second rank, right under the leader of the gang. It was all just so much fun.

"One day, I saw the gang at the park beating up some poor pathetic kid. Deciding I needed to let loose some anger, I went over to get in a few punches. I… I saw who the poor pathetic kid was and I froze. It was Merle. She looked at me, tears in her big innocent eyes full of shock and disbelief. I finally saw what I had become and I hated it. I ended up fighting the other guys off her and I was then labeled a traitor. The fight lasted a long time, but I made sure Merle was safe. When it was over, I had so many cuts and bruises I could never have counted them all. But I had gotten out. That's why the kids at school know my reputation. I was the one in the worse gang of the city… and the only one to get out alive.

"I was ashamed of my past, so I did a complete 180. I did my best to seem warm and caring instead of the cold person I had become. It didn't really work completely until I met you though. It was just an act before, something so people wouldn't be afraid to talk to me. But then you came along with that attitude of yours and… I don't know. Something just changed. It didn't seem like I was pretending anymore, that I actually truly cared. So, I guess in a way, you could say you've saved my life as well."

Hitomi looked at her best friend in a new way that night as Van looked at her with more admiration. All she could do was hug her friend as she felt his arms wrap around her as well. "Well, I guess we all have our little secrets."

A small chuckle escaped his lips. "Is that all you can say?"

Leaning back and out of the embrace, Hitomi smirked. "No, I can also say if I ever found out you are in a gang after high school, I will definitely come by and beat you up."

"Glad to hear you care, 'Tomi."

"Always, Sparky."

Van smiled as he got up and headed back to their class. "Well, I think I'm going to get some dessert. Care to join me, Miss?"

"I'd love to." Hitomi smiled and followed him to where everyone else was dancing the night away.

Van was deep in thought. 'So that's what her mom meant. Poor Hitomi. It all makes sense now. The not dressing up, no dancing… everything. That will never happen to you again. I won't let it.'

A cruise lasted another few hours. At around 12:30am, the seniors got off the boat and boarded the bus again. As usual, Van sat next to Hitomi, who seemed a bit tired. "Tired again, Hitomi?"

Shrugging, she yawned. "It was kinda boring."

"Well, for someone who doesn't dance, I can imagine. But I won't hold it against you. Just promise one day I'll get a dance with you."

With a small smile on her lips, Hitomi looked over at him. "What is it with you and dancing?"

"I'm just so good at it I like to show it off now and then."

"Oh. So that's what you call it… dancing… I thought you were having a seizure or something."

"Hey! You are not one to talk. Not unless you promise."

After thinking it over, Hitomi nodded. "Fine. One day you will get a dance, but I get to decide when."

"Deal."

She smiled and proceeded to poke him. "Hey! What's with the poking?"

"Cause I feel like it."

"Oh yeah?"

A poking war was born, which lead to tickling. The laughter made it impossible for any to sleep but instead the whole bus turned to laughter as an all out tickle war began. Lucky for the bus driver, the ride wasn't too long. They pulled into the entrance way of a somewhat YMCA. Shrugging, everyone piled out and were giving their bags. They were told in a letter what clothes to bring with them and anything they might need, yet no mention of what they were going to do. Their only clue was a swimsuit and towel. That's all.

Hitomi made moves to grab her bag when a certain hand grabbed it first. "Van, give me my bag."

"Tsk Tsk. What the magic word?"

Holding up a fist to his face, Hitomi smiled. "Now."

Shaking his head, Van began to walk backwards. "Sorry, you lose. That's not the word we were looking for."

"Van, get back here with my bag!" Hitomi ran after him as Van ran through the doors and was directed to this big gym area. Too bad for him the floor was a little slippery for he fell flat on his butt. Hitomi watched, laughed and continued to run after him, but the floor was indeed slippery. She then fell face first towards the ground, but instead of landing on the hard ground, she landed on Van…or rather his stomach. The ex-seniors just shook their heads at the couple and moved to the appropriate places. Eventually Hitomi got off of Van and they turned their attention to the person talking in front.

The owner of the Jewish YMCA told them there were different stations in the place, including swimming, a race game, karaoke, and fortune telling. "Just be respectful and don't break anything. Now have fun!"

Hitomi grabbed her bag from Van and ran off towards the girls room while Van walked over to the boys room. Soon, Van came out in regular t-shirt, jeans and sneakers. Leaning against the wall, he waited for Hitomi to come, which she did a few moments later. She came out in a black tank top, denim shorts and sandals. A smile was on her face as others came out of the bathrooms in their new comfortable clothes.

Soon everyone was off doing their own thing while Hitomi dragged Van to get their fortunes read. "What's the big deal, Hitomi? You do this stuff all the time and you're probably a whole lot more accurate then this person."

"Oh come on Van. It's fun! Besides, maybe they could show me something I never saw before."

Shrugging, Van just let Hitomi lead him to this quake, I mean psychic. After waiting on line, Hitomi bounced over and sat down in the chair opposite the woman. "What would you like used today, my dear? Tarot cards, Runes, Crystals…"

"The Tarot Cards please. Oh! That's a beautiful Celtic ring."

The woman looked down at her hand and smiled. "You know Celtic jewelry?"

"Why yes. See here, I have one too, just different." Hitomi held out her hand to show the woman the ring on her finger. Admiring the ring, the woman smiled and nodded. "It is very beautiful. Someone special must have given it to you. Someone who is with you today."

A bit surprised, Hitomi nodded. "Yes, my best friend here gave it to me."

~Flashback~

The mall was crowded that day. Hitomi really didn't like big crowds, but that Van dragged her out of the house. They weren't friends that long, only a few months, and yet he had insisted she go with him to the mall for some odd reason. Something about a new CD he wanted.

Shaking her head, all Hitomi's face held was a frown. "Can we go any faster?"

Van looked over at her with amusement in his eyes. "Why, Kanzaki? Got a date?"

Glaring at him, Hitomi replied. "I don't like big crowded places. As you could probably guess I'm not exactly people friendly."

"No! I would have never guessed."

They finally reached the music store when Hitomi spotted something. "What is it?"

Shaking her head, Hitomi walked into the music store with Van. After walking around awhile, her eyes were distracted yet again. "I'll be right back, Van."

Without waiting for an answer, Hitomi walked out of the store and over to an interesting cart with different kinds of Celtic jewelry and artifacts, including clothing. A particular item caught her attention. On the ring stand was a particular ring, silver in color. All around the band were Celtic knots and on top were what could only be described as two faces, looking towards each other. Though the faces were not much to look at, the ring captivated her.

"Hitomi?"

Shaking her head, Hitomi looked over at the music store to see Van looking around for her. Sighing, she took one last look at the ring and then left to make Van stop searching for her. "I'm right here."

Van smiled. "You ready to go?"

Noticing he didn't have any bags, Hitomi looked at him confused. "You didn't get anything?"

"Nah. They didn't have what I wanted."

Shrugging, Hitomi walked back to where they were to meet his mom, Van behind her.

*

During lunch, Hitomi sat picking at her… "food"… when Van sat down across from her. "What's on the menu today, Kanzaki?"

Poking at the green blob on her plate, Hitomi sighed. "I think it's supposed to be chicken. I'm kind of not looking forward to tasting it."

With a small chuckle, Van reached across the table and handed her a small box. Confused, she looked up at him. "Open it and see for yourself."

Giving him a weird look, Hitomi took the box and opened it. Her eyes went wide as her mouth dropped open. She looked up at him and back at the ring, then back at him again. "Van? What the…?"

He smiled and chuckled again. "I saw you looking at it the other day. I figured if you were drawn to it so much, you might like it, especially with your obsession with Celtic music and all."

Shaking her head, Hitomi pushed the box back at him. "I can't accept this, Van."

Taking the box, he took the ring out of it and grabbed her hand. "Hitomi, I'm not taking this back. I bought it for you. I guess you could call it a token of friendship. Basically, with this ring I'm saying you're my best friend."

Touched, Hitomi looked at him with soft eyes, eyes he hadn't seen before. Taking her hand, he slipped the ring onto her left ring finger. Frowning, Van sighed. "Damn. I got the wrong size."

Shaking her head, she smiled at him. "Van, you're such a guy." Taking her hand back, she moved the ring from her ring finger to her pointer. (the one next to the thumb) She held up her hand for him to see. "Perfect fit."

Van just smirked. "Only you would think of that."

"Me and a lot of other girls." Hitomi saw some relief in his eyes. 'I guess he was nervous about if I would accept this or not.' "Thank you Van. I love it."

A smile spread onto his face as Van looked at her. "Great! Now, what's this about green blob that's chicken?"

~End Flashback~

Van smiled at the memory, but he also remembered the part she didn't know about.

~Another Flashback~

Items were thrown all over the place in the medium size room. Merle was standing at the doorway watching her "big brother" mess up his entire room in less then a minute. "What are you looking for?"

Van looked up at her while holding a sweatshirt and a black cat with big greenish yellow eyes. (TRIGUN CAT! Meow) After throwing the items (and animal) aside, Van continued to dig. "I'm looking for something to give Hitomi."

A sly grin appeared on her face. "Why do you want to give her something?"

Rolling his eyes, he glared at her. "Get that thought out of your mind. Hitomi is still a little uneasy around me. I figured if I gave her something, as a token of friendship, she might open up more." Looking away from Merle, he muttered to himself, "she's pretty much my best friend."

Too bad for him Merle heard… or was he fortunate? She smiled yet again. "You are such a guy. This is what you do. Take her to the mall. Say you have to buy a CD or something. Walk all around the mall until you see her attention get caught by something. While she's observing it, pretend you're still looking for your item, but take a very good look at what she's looking at. Then, when you get her attention again, leave the mall."

He followed her up until then. "Leave?"

Rolling her eyes, Merle shook her head. "Baka… You can't buy it for her if she's there!! Go back the next day and buy it then. Give it to her when you feel it's the right time."

After letting this all process, Van grinned, grabbed his wallet and ran towards the door. "Thanks Merle! You're the best!" was the last thing that was heard as Van told his mom the plan. Merle just sighed. "What would he do without me?"

*

"Can we go any faster?"

Van looked over at her with amusement in his eyes. "Why, Kanzaki? Got a date?" They had been walking around for awhile and still nothing caught her eye. 'Maybe it was a dumb idea after all.'

Glaring at him, Hitomi replied. "I don't like big crowded places. As you could probably guess I'm not exactly people friendly."

"No! I would have never guessed."

They finally reached the music store when Van noticed Hitomi spotted something. "What is it?"

Shaking her head, Hitomi walked into the music store with Van. Glancing over in the direction her eyes were before, Van saw a cart full of Celtic items. Smiling a bit to himself, he quickly went back in the music store and made sure to take a long time. "I'll be right back, Van."

Watching her leave with the corner of his eye, Van saw Hitomi walk up to the cart and look at an area full of rings. 'Which one is she looking at?' Getting as close as he dared, he narrowed the options down to a few when Hitomi reached out and touched one. 'Bingo.' Racing back to the store, he pretended to be looking for her. "Hitomi?"

Van saw her come over to him quickly. "I'm right here."

He smiled. "You ready to go?"

Hitomi looked at him confused. "You didn't get anything?"

'Think of something!!!' "Nah. They didn't have what I wanted."

Shrugging, Hitomi walked back to where they were to meet his mom, Van behind her, smiling and looking back at the cart. 'I'll be back.'

*

Pacing back and forth in the hallway, Van was so very nervous. He held the box with the ring in it in his hand, debating if he should go through with this. 'What if she hands it back? What if she doesn't want to be friends?' Taking a deep breath, he entered the cafeteria to see her poking the green chicken surprise.

"What's on the menu today, Kanzaki?"

He heard her sigh. "I think it's supposed to be chicken. I'm kind of not looking forward to tasting it."

Trying to keep his cool, as he released a small chuckle, Van reached across the table and handed her a small box. Confusion was written all over her face. "Open it and see for yourself."

After giving him a weird look, Hitomi took the box and opened it. Her eyes went wide as her mouth dropped open. She looked up at him and back at the ring, then back at him again. "Van? What the…?"

He smiled and chuckled again. "I saw you looking at it the other day. I figured if you were drawn to it so much, you might like it, especially with your obsession with Celtic music and all." He could tell she liked it which made him very happy.

Shaking her head, Hitomi pushed the box back at him. "I can't accept this, Van."

His worst fear was being brought to life. Taking the box, he took the ring out of it and grabbed her hand. He was not going to let her turn it away. "Hitomi, I'm not taking this back. I bought it for you. I guess you could call it a token of friendship. Basically, with this ring I'm saying you're my best friend."

Hitomi looked at him with soft eyes, eyes he hadn't seen before. 'Her eyes look so alive with that look.' Taking her hand, he slipped the ring onto her left ring finger. Frowning, Van sighed. "Damn. I got the wrong size."

Shaking her head, she smiled at him. "Van, you're such a guy." Taking her hand back, she moved the ring from her ring finger to her pointer. She held up her hand for him to see. "Perfect fit."

Van just smirked. "Only you would think of that."

"Me and a lot of other girls. Thank you Van. I love it."

A smile spread onto his face as Van looked at her. 'I knew she would love it.' "Great! Now, what's this about green blob that's chicken?"

~End Flashback~

The woman smiled and started to shuffle her cards. "Now clear your mind of everything but a specific question. You don't have to tell it to me if you don't like, but it would make it easier."

Hitomi nodded. "I'd rather keep it to myself, if you don't mind."

"Of course."

Closing her eyes, Hitomi concentrated on her question. 'What's going to happen in Van's and my future?'

The cards were then handed to her and Hitomi shuffled them until she felt they were good. Opening her eyes, Hitomi handed the deck back to the woman. With a smile on her face, the woman began to do a Celtic spread.

"This card indicates a destroyed wall around you, as if you are or were holding back something but have recently knocked it down. A secret that has plagued you has been revealed. You bring in positive energies, as if anything you see here today you will believe. The distant past hold despair, depression, and pain whether mental, physical and emotional. In this case, all three. The recent past shows apprehension. You were afraid to let go of everything from before and rebuild anew. But it seems this card indicates you have let everything go and have trusted someone new. This card here show you are on a good path that leads to everything you wish, but there will be bumps to overcome that will truly test you. The future shows love from an unlikely source to you. As in to you the person will seem like the last person you would think of. This card here represents you. It shows someone who is strong and hard on the outside, but fragile on the inside. You are slowly letting people see the real you, but one small bump and your mask comes back up for a long time. The general energies around you are positive and believe in your success. Your fears are of separation, pain and betrayal, but there is some force blocking those from occurring. The outcome here shows a partnership, a strong bond that is unbreakable in the end. Overall, there are some trials to come but in the end all will be well."

Hitomi sat back and let all the information sink in. 'Okay, so that's pretty good I guess.' Slowly getting up, Hitomi thanked the woman and smiled at Van. "Your turn, Sparky."

Sighing, Van sat down and smiled at the woman. She returned his smile. "Not really a believer, are you?"

"Only to certain people. Can you do something other then tarot cards?"

"Certainly. Palm reading, Runes, crystals…"

"The palm reading please." Holding out his hand to her, Van relaxed against the chair as the woman held his hand. She began looking at each line on his hand with a level of concentration.

"I see great progress in your life. Your dreams will become reality, but not on the course you see. Two roads will be set forth in front of you. One will lead to a false happiness at a high cost, losing someone close to you, while the other will lead to everything you've wanted, just different from the original plan. You have to find this other road or else you will lose the one you cherish most forever. The outcome is not really shown here. Fate is still up to you to decide."

After feeling his hand be released, Van sat back in the chair and examined his hand. Sighing, he began to stand up to leave when the woman had one more thing to say. "Young sir, do not be so skeptical with this reading. The rest of your life depends on this decision, whether you pick one route or the other. Choose very wisely."

Nodding, Van thanked the woman and walked off with Hitomi back to the main room. Her emerald eyes turned to him with curiosity. "Well, what did you think?"

With a smirk on his face, Van looked off before him. "I think that I should challenge you to the obstacle course over there. But, I guess not. I don't want you to cry when I beat you so horribly."

Her eyes had this spark in them, a fire of some sorts. "Oh really? Wanna bet on it?"

"What do you have in mind?"

Looking around the gym area, Hitomi's eyes spotted something and a smile spread on her face. "Loser has to sing Karaoke."

After thinking about it, Van agreed and they both ran over to stand in line, waiting for their turn. Finally the time came. The two teens got set and when the man gave the signal, in they went, climbing, bending and running as fast as they could. They were pretty neck and neck… that is until Hitomi lost her footing, giving Van a chance at the lead. It was close, but the victor was Van.

Hitomi sighed as she climbed out of the massive thing. Van turned and smiled at her. "Do you need to practice your 'Do Re Mis' before you start? Glass of water?"

"Oh stuff it." Sighing, Hitomi went towards the karaoke area and waited until her turn came, looking through the song book. Van made himself comfortable on the gym floor until finally it was her turn.

The song began to play and soon Hitomi began to sing.

"I was stained, with a role, in a day not my own
But as you walked into my life you showed what needed to be shown
And I always knew, what was right I just didn't know that I might
Peel away and choose to see with such a different sight

"And I will never see the sky the same way and
I will learn to say good-bye to yesterday and
I will never cease to fly if held down and
I will always reach too high cause I've seen, cause I've seen, twilight

"Never cared never wanted
Never sought to see what flaunted
So on purpose so in my face Couldn't see beyond my own place
And it was so easy not to behold what I could hold
But you taught me I could change Whatever came within these shallow days

"And I will never see the sky the same way and
I will learn to say good-bye to yesterday and
I will never cease to fly if held down and
I will always reach too high cause I've seen, cause I've seen

"As the sun shines through it pushes away and pushes ahead
It fills the warmth of blue and leaves a chill instead and
I didn't know that I could be so blind to all that is so real
But as illusion dies I see there is so much to be revealed

"And I will never see the sky the same way and
I will learn to say good-bye to yesterday and
I will never cease to fly if held down and
I will always reach too high cause I've seen, cause I've seen, twilight

"I was stained, by a role, in a day not my own
But as you walked into my life you showed what needed to be shown
And I always knew, what was right
I just didn't know that I might
Peel away and choose to see with such a different sight

"And I will never see the sky the same way and
I will learn to say good-bye to yesterday and
I will never cease to fly if held down and
I will always reach too high cause I've seen, cause I've seen, twilight..."

When she finished, everyone who had sat there to listen applauded, amazed that she could actually sing. Van was the most stunned as he clapped the loudest with a smile on his face.

Hitomi, with her face slightly red, walked over to Van. "Happy now?"

"Most definitely. It was great Hitomi."

"Riiiight. Can we just go do something else?"

"Swimming?"

"Sure. Meet you out there." With that, they walked off to go change, Hitomi pushing Van to go into the boys room and not follow her into the girls room. A few minutes later, Van was sitting by the pool with a towel over his shoulder, waiting for Hitomi. Sighing, he turned to a red head who had just come out of the locker room. He recognized her as Hitomi's good friend. "Hey Yukari. Can you go see what's keeping Hitomi?"

Yukari nodded and went back into the locker room to look for the said girl. She came back out a few moments later, a smile on her face. "Well, I'm attempting to drag her out now."

Van sighed and shook his head. "Anyone in there?"

"Just her."

With a smirk on his face, Van walked over and opened the door. "Hitomi! If you don't come out in 5 seconds, I'm coming in after you."

"You wouldn't dare!"

"One…"

"Don't even think about it!"

"Two…"

"I'm coming! Damn you Fanel!" With that Van backed up as Hitomi came out of the locker room in a one piece bluish green swimsuit, a towel wrapped around her waist. She glared at him. "I so hate you."

"Awww…. But I wuv you ever so much, 'Tomi."

Without a second thought, Hitomi pushed Van so he would fall into the pool. One problem with her plan. Van anticipated it and grabbed her arm so she would fall in too, Hitomi had dropped her towel and fell in the pool with Van, shrieking at the same time. When her head came back up from under water, she glared at him yet again. He was smiling and trying so hard not to laugh. "Oh, you are soooo gonna get it Sparky."

Soon she was by his side and one quick motion had him underwater, holding his head under. After a few moments, she released him so he could breathe.

"Let the water war begin, Kanzaki."

With that said, indeed a water war began. Not only was it between him and Hitomi, but they brought in Yukari and Amano when he finally showed up. The only reason they stopped the war was because a chaperon came to tell them they had a half hour left. The teens all got out of the pool and headed into the locker rooms to dry off and change. They all came out later in the clothes they had brought before, only Van added a jacket. Lucky for them there were hair dryers in the bathrooms that they used. Taking all their stuff, they all headed back towards the buses, ready to go back home.

After tossing their bags back onto the bag holder, the class all boarded the buses and left for the high school. Some of the students were as hyper as ever while some were dead tired. Van was relaxing a bit when he felt something on his shoulder. Looking over, he saw Hitomi had rested her head on his shoulder while she slept peacefully. With a smile on his face, he took the jacket he wore off and covered her with it. Then, relaxing in his seat again, he also drifted off to sleep.

*

It was about 5 in the morning when they all arrived back at the high school. The sleeping seniors woke themselves up as they started to get up. Yukari looked over to see Van and Hitomi still asleep, Van's head resting on top of Hitomi's. With a smile, she shook Van's shoulder until he woke up. "Morning sleepy head. We're here."

"Thanks." Van looked over at Hitomi and smiled, deciding just how to wake her up. Deciding on being nice, he gently pushed her shoulder back and forth like before, waking her from slumber. "Five more minutes."

"Come on Hitomi. Time to go home."

Looking up at him, she yawned and made motions to get up. They eventually got off the bus and grabbed their bags. Waiting in front of the school, Van and Hitomi sat there until Van's older brother, Folken came. "Come on you two. I have to get to work."

Quickly, the teens grabbed their stuff and threw it in the car, Van getting in the front while Hitomi sat in the back. "Thanks Folken."

Folken smiled at Hitomi. He always did like that girl. Sure she was rough around the edges, but she was the best thing for Van. Even he thought Van had a crush on Hitomi, but wouldn't say anything about it. Silently, he drove over to the Kanzaki house to drop the girl off. When he got there, he looked back to see she was asleep. Van sighed and got out of the car, taking their bags out of the trunk, then reaching in to get Hitomi. "Go ahead Folken. I can walk from here."

"See you tonight Van." With that, Folken took off towards Fanalia, the company he worked at.

Van carried Hitomi bridal style up the stairs to her door. Silently praying someone was awake, he knocked, or rather kicked at the door. Maaya opened it and smiled. "Just bring her upstairs please. I'll get the bags. The mattress is still up there for you too Van. I don't want you walking home when you're this tired."

"Thank you Mrs. Kanzaki." Doing as she said, Van walked up the stairs to Hitomi's room, which was open just a hair. Pushing it open all the way, he walked inside and placed her on her bed, pulling the covers up to her chin. She shifted positions in her sleep until she was comfortable and continued sleeping. With a small smile on his face, Van looked out her door to see the bags were right outside it, Maaya returning to her room.

Shaking his head, Van rubbed his eyes and then made himself comfortable on the mattress on the floor. Taking the blanket provided, he yawned then fell into a most peaceful sleep.

~*~That's all for now! This one was just soooooo long!!! 15 pages on Word. Damn. The next chapter will probably be the day before they leave for college and possibly including some conversations while at college. Not sure yet. The story won't really pick up until the fifth or sixth chapter. Oh and the song is Twilight by Vanessa Carlton.

Well, I'm off! Hopefully I'll have the next chapter out next week. Ja ne!~*~