Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ There's Not A Thing I Would Change ❯ Separation and the Test of Friendship ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~Hello there people! Has a week flown by already? I guess so. Time to update then. Here we go! Warning, I jump around a lot in this chapter… You'll see what I mean…~*~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 3: Separation and the Test of Friendship

No words entered his mind at the moment. Here he was, standing outside her house, gazing up at the door knowing she was expecting him, but his feet wouldn't move. Van didn't want to go inside. If he did, he would have to say goodbye to her. Hitomi was leaving for college the next morning and made it clear the last person she wanted to see before she left was him. Their car was all packed up and in less than 24 hours, Hitomi would be gone.

Even though he had to leave next week, Van didn't like the idea of Hitomi leaving him behind. Shaking his head, he sat on the curb to think things out. Van had decided to walk over today to give him time to think and apparently that didn't work. He had known Hitomi almost four years. It seemed like so much longer to him. What was he going to do without his best friend? Now Van understood what Hitomi meant that night when she asked if he was scared.

Staring at the ground, Van didn't know what to do. So deep in thought he was, Van didn't even hear footsteps come over to him. "Van?"

Head snapping up, he turned and stared up at the woman before him. "Hi, Mrs. Kanzaki."

The woman frowned and sat down beside him, placing her groceries next to her. "Is there something wrong?"

Sighing, Van turned to the woman who had become a second mother to him. "I don't know what to do. Part of me really wants to go in there and support her, but…"

"But if you do, you know you have to say goodbye." His maroon eyes turned towards her blue ones as he nodded. Maaya just smiled. "Oh Van. It's not really a goodbye, but more like a good luck until we meet again. You never truly say goodbye to someone you care about, and I know just how much you two care about each other. Just think Van. If it is this hard on you, imagine what it's like for her. She's going just so far away, all alone. Hitomi doesn't know anyone there, but she is determined to succeed and prove herself to everyone. But she didn't want to go to college for a long time."

That got his attention. "Why's that? She's smart and talented. There's no reason she shouldn't go."

"She didn't want to go because that would mean leaving you and everyone here behind."

Looking away from the older woman, Van sighed and, in an almost whisper, said, "I don't want her to leave either."

Maaya smiled at the boy and placed a hand on his shoulder. "I know. But be proud of her. She never would have found the strength and courage to even think of going before you. Hitomi said she told you of what happened before. If it wasn't for you, Van, I don't think my daughter would even be alive today. She only used to talk about how she wished to be dead and now she talks of becoming a teacher, helping others with their problems. Do you think she can do it, Van?" After a moment, the raven haired boy looked up at her and nodded. With a smiled, she continued. "Then tell her. You are the one she needs to hear it from the most."

After taking a deep breath, Van nodded and got up to help Maaya with the groceries. "Thank you, Mrs. Kanzaki."

"I should be thanking you… for giving me my daughter back. Now go on. She's waiting for you."

Sighing, Van handed the bag back to Mrs. Kanzaki and headed up the steps. With a deep breath, he knocked on the door and waited. Inside, Van could hear footsteps and the door soon flew open. There Van was met with emerald eyes and a smile. "Van! I'm glad you came."

"Hey Hitomi. Sorry I'm late."

With a wave of her hand, Hitomi smiled. "Don't worry about it. We've been running around lately getting my last minute things." With that, Hitomi yanked Van inside, leaving the door open for her mom. Instead of going up to her room as usual, Hitomi took Van's hand and lead them to the back yard and out towards the wooded area behind her yard.

"Hitomi, where are we going?"

"Just be quiet and come on." Van smiled and let Hitomi drag him wherever she wanted. For some reason, it felt good to have his hand in hers. Soon, Hitomi stopped walking when they reached a clearing. The emerald eyed girl turned and looked at Van, forgetting she was still holding his hand. "Van, I'm really scared."

"Why? What scares you Hitomi?"

"I don't want to leave everyone behind. I mean, this actually felt like home since my dad died. What if I can't take it?"

Van shook his head and took a step closer to her. "Hitomi, I know you can do it. You are a strong person and you know what you want in life."

"Do I? I'm not so sure."

Raising an eyebrow, Van looked at Hitomi completely. "Why are you doubting yourself?"

With a sigh, Hitomi dropped his hand and walked off a bit. "It's just… I've never been really good at anything. I'm not really a people person, as you can tell. What's it going to be like for me in college? I'll be all alone again."

Suddenly, Hitomi felt two arms snake around her waist and pull her back into Van's chest, her arms resting on top of his. "Hitomi, I know you're scared and I understand why. But you are never alone. Whenever you need me, just say so and I'll be there. It doesn't matter what I'm doing. I promise I will be there for you, forever."

"But Van..."

"No buts. I have never broken a promise to you and I don't plan on doing it now. Don't hesitate to call. Plus, you have my screen name and email address. As long as I walk this Earth, I'll be there for you. Never doubt that."

He could feel Hitomi relax against his chest, telling him he had gotten through to her. And he meant every word too. He would always be there for her, no matter what.

"What am I going to do without you, Sparky?"

With a smile on his face, Van answered, "You'll probably get someone new to replace me, 'Tomi. Maybe a boyfriend or do you plan on being a heartbreaker?"

Spinning around in his arms, Hitomi looked up at him, the two still very close together. "That's not even funny."

"What? I think you'll definitely be the heartbreaker."

"I meant about the replacing you part. No one will ever replace you, Van."

His smile got softer as he placed his forehead against hers. "Good answer. That was my biggest fear."

Raising an eyebrow and adding a smirk to her lips, Hitomi replied, "Oh? Big scary Van Fanel was afraid? Perish the thought."

A small laugh escaped his lips as he gazed into her emerald eyes. Oh, how he was going to miss her.

"Hey Van?"

"Yeah?"

"Whatever did happen to that chicken doing Yoga?"

"Oh man, are we back to that again? I swear it must have just run off when you came by!"

Laughing, Hitomi backed out of the embrace, much to Van's disappointment. "Come on Sparky. Mom's waiting for us."

Nodding, the two headed back to the house where the delicious smells of dinner traveled in the wind. Upon entering the Kanzaki household, Van discovered three extra people in the living room. "Well, it's about time you two got back."

Sitting there was Varie, Folken and Merle, who was smiling at Van with this weird look in her eye. It was mischievous yet sympathetic at the same time. Van looked over at Hitomi who just smiled. "I wanted all of my family here." Van returned her smile and they all sat around the table as one big family for dinner.

~*~Skipping the meals as usual… I really don't know why I do. I just do.~*~

After dinner was over, the families went to sit and talk in the living room while Hitomi and Van went up to her room. Van was amazed when he walked into her now almost empty room. 'It just doesn't seem right.' They both flopped on top of her bed and looked up at the ceiling, waiting for the other to start the conversation.

"Call me as soon as you get settled, okay Hitomi?"

"Of course. I'll tell you all about my roommate and everything."

"What was her name again?"

"Millerna."

"Sounds pretty. Maybe you could set us up or something."

"Van! Arg! You're such a guy."

"You say that like it's a bad thing." Van sat there and waited for her snide comment which didn't come. Curious, Van sat up and looked at her to see a single tear fall from her eyes. "Hitomi?"

The emerald eyed girl looked at him with such sadness in her eyes and launched herself into his chest. "Oh Van. I'm going to miss you so much."

Never had Van seen Hitomi cry. She was just not the type of person who would let tears fall, yet here she was crying her eyes out not because she had to leave home, but because she was going to miss him. Slowly, Van put his arms around her and tried to comfort her, moving his hand in small circles on her back. "Shhh. Don't cry. It's not goodbye, but rather a good luck until we see each other again. Don't waste your tears. We'll talk all the time you'll think I'm right there."

"But…"

"Not buts. We'll spend all the breaks together. Don't worry. I'm the one who should be worried."

Hitomi pulled back and looked up at him with watery eyes. "Why?"

"I won't be there to protect you."

Raising an eyebrow, she gave him a weird look. "Excuse me?"

Immediately Van knew she took that the wrong way. "That's not what I mean. I know you can take of yourself physically, but I'm not too comfortable with the fact you'll find someone new to pour your heart out to. Where will that leave me?"

With a small smile, Hitomi shook her head. "Listen up Sparky. If there will be someone I do that to in college, they will be a temporary replacement until I see you again. No one will ever take your place. Not now, not ever. I promise."

Smiling, Van pulled Hitomi to him in a big hug. "I'm holding you to that."

"Van! Hitomi! Come down here please."

Reluctantly, Van let Hitomi out of his arms as they got up and walked down the stairs to the living room. A huge wave of sadness hit him at that very moment when he realized this was it. Varie was standing there with Folken and Merle. When the two teens came down, the group turned to the couple. Varie walked over to Hitomi with a sad smile on her face. "We must be heading home now dear. Please do take good care of yourself and do not hesitate to call if you need anything, anything at all."

"Thank you, Mrs. Fanel." Varie quickly took the girl into a hug embrace as tears formed in her eyes. She had always thought of Hitomi as another daughter to her and had her suspicions that Van had a crush on Hitomi. She wouldn't mind having the girl legally become her daughter that way.

After letting go, Merle came and hugged Hitomi. "Goodbye Hitomi."

"Take care of yourself Merle." She hugged Merle back just as strong. This all was just so very painful.

Soon after the embrace ended, Folken stood in front of her. "Seriously do not hesitate to call for whatever reason. That includes myself. Even I would drop everything if you needed something." With that, he took the smaller girl into him in a big hug.

Now that was completely shocking. Sure Hitomi was close with this family, but Folken never acted this way.

After he released her, she nodded, afraid of her own voice as she realized who the last person left was. Van.

The said male looked at her with painful eyes. Slowly he came forward and took her into his arms. Lending forward to whisper into her ear, Van said, "Keep your window open tonight." With a small nod, Hitomi let one tear fall from her eye as she let him go. Van gave her a small smile and reached over to brush her tear away. "I wish you the best, Hitomi. That's what you deserve, nothing less."

"Oh Van… Good luck to you too. I will miss you all so much."

With sad eyes, the Fanel family left the Kanzaki house, separating two best friends for a long length of time, tears running down both their faces.

~Later that night~

Hitomi lay on her bed, staring up at the stars that glowed in the dark on her ceiling. Her eyes refused to close even with the late hour it was. Suddenly, there was a tap on her window. Hitomi sat up straight and quickly opened the window to let in the late night intruder. "Guess you couldn't sleep either, Sparky."

Van stood up and gazed at her. "I just wanted to make sure you're okay."

"We've already established many times that I'm not, but I'll survive." Hitomi looked around her now empty room and sighed. "You want to stay one last time?"

Van looked at her with a surprised look in his eyes. There was no mattress on the floor this time. "Do you really want me to?"

Receiving a small nod, Van smiled softly and agreed to stay. Looking around the room, he searched for something to sleep on. Hitomi sighed. "Van, come on. I have a feeling you won't rape me in the middle of the night. Come here."

Looking over, Van saw Hitomi in her bed under the covers. "I'm not sure… What will your mom say in the morning?"

"Probably good morning."

Sighing, Van slowly moved towards her bed and climbed in, under the covers. He felt Hitomi place her head on his shoulder so he wrapped his arm around hers, subconsciously bring her closer to him. "Good night, Van."

"Good night Hitomi."

With that, the two fell asleep in each other's arms.

~*~In the morning~*~

Maaya went into her daughter's room to wake her from slumber to come upon something that at first shocked her, but allowed to her smile as well. Before her was Hitomi pressed up against Van with her hands on his chest while his arms were around her back and waist. Both were on their sides, facing each other.

Feeling bad about breaking up the cute moment, knowing in the back of her head nothing would have happened, Maaya went over and began to shake Hitomi out of her deep sleep. The emerald eyed girl looked up into her mother's blue eyes and blinked. Mrs. Kanzaki smiled. "It's time, Hitomi. You might want to wake him up too. His mother might wonder where he is.

After her mother left the room, Hitomi turned and looked at the sleeping Van. Gently, Hitomi got up, took the clothes she had out, and went into the bathroom to shower and change. When she came back, Van was still asleep, but he had this concerned or frustrated look on his face as his hand moved as if it was looking for something. Smiling, Hitomi kneeled by the bed and held her hand out so he would find it. Eventually, his fingers intertwined with hers and his eyes slowly opened to gaze into hers. She smiled a sad smile. "Morning sunshine."

Van smiled back, released her hand and stretched. "I guess it's time." Receiving a sad nod, he threw the covers aside and climbed out of bed as she stood up. Maroon eyes clashed with emerald as they looked at each other, not wanting to do what had to be done.

Taking her hand, Van led Hitomi downstairs. Kenji and Maaya were at the car waiting for her, being as patient as they could. They'd have to get on the road soon, but they didn't want to rush the two's goodbyes.

When they reached the bottom steps, Hitomi turned to Van. "This is it, Van."

"Yeah." The two shifted a bit before Van took her into a big embrace which she returned. Time seemed to stand still, if only for that moment. Van didn't want to let her go, but knew he had to. Slowly, they broke away from each other, not daring to look into the other's eyes.

"Good bye, Van."

"Good bye, Hitomi."

With that, she turned and got into the car, looking out the window at him to wave. The car began pulling away from him. For some reason, Van ran after the car, still not ready to let her go. "Hitomi! Don't forget me!!"

Rolling down her window, Hitomi shouted back, "As long as you don't forget me, Sparky!"

With a smile, Van stopped running and just watched her leave, whispering to himself, "I'll never ever forget you."

~*~A few weeks later~*~

Van came into his dorm room and quickly started up his laptop, signing online as fast as the little machine could go. He had been so busy lately that he didn't have time to even call her since she left. Van silently prayed she was online. While he was waiting for the computer to go, he thought back to the day before he left.

~Flashback~

The whole family had gone out to eat, inviting Mrs. Kanzaki and Kenji as well. They all smiled and talked while Van remained miserable. The one person he wanted there wasn't.

Looking up from his plate, Van glanced over to the blue eyed woman. "How is she doing?"

Maaya looked up and over at him, seeing the sadness in his eyes. She smiled at him. "She's doing okay. I haven't been able to talk to her long, but she called this morning to ask me to wish you luck."

"Oh… okay. Thank you." Van returned to staring at his plate while the mothers exchanged a worried glance between each other. Van had been miserable since she left, rarely smiling. And to think that was only maybe a week ago!

After the meal was finished, Maaya went over and hugged Van. "Good luck to you, Van. Don't hesitate to call anytime. We're here for you."

"Thank you, Mrs. Kanzaki."

Kenji walked over to him and shook his hand. "Good luck, Van."

"Thanks."

"Don't worry. She'll never forget you."

Van looked at the boy strangely, then nodded. "Thanks kid."

The two left and soon so did the Fanels. When they got home, Varie noticed the answering machine blinking, meaning there was a message. "Van, could you check the machine?"

"Sure mom." Sighing, Van walked over to the machine and hit the button. The voice that came out of it was one he didn't expect to hear.

"Hey Sparky! It's Hitomi. So, tomorrow's the big day, huh? I wish you the best Van. You'll do fine! College is fun. My roommate Millerna is nice. She says hi, by the way. It'll keep you busy. Just wait. Soon you'll have more friends than you can even count! I have faith in you Van. Whenever you get your computer set up, email or IM me. You know the addy and screen name. Well, before this thing cuts me off, good luck and sorry I wasn't there! Ja ne!"

Van sat there shocked at the voice he had just heard. A small smile played on his face as he pushed the button again and again, just to hear her voice.

~End Flashback~

Van smiled at the memory. Soon, his computer got the sign in thing up. Working quickly, Van signed in and smiled as he saw she was online too.

~

AngelWings: Hey there stranger

MysticEyes: Hey there Sparky!! Long time no chat!

AngelWings: I know! I've missed you.

MysticEyes: ditto…I can't believe you kept that sn I gave you

AngelWings: why?

MysitcEyes: not really a guy's type of sn…

AngelWings: what? Would you prefer arrogantstubbornprince ?

MysticEyes: lol… okay okay

AngelWings: How are you doing 'Tomi?

MysticEyes: Better then I thought I would be. And you? How's college treating you thus far? You've been there a whiel already…

MysticEyes: *while

AngelWings: it's okay.

MysticEyes: how's the roomie?

AngelWings: he's cool. Kinda weird though.

MysticEyes: oh?

AngelWings: he's name's John. He's really into games, computer or whatever. Makes funny noises randomly and sometimes runs into the closet. Not too sure what he has in there but I'm not sure I want to find out. He's an artist with a psych major

MysticEyes: lol… sounds exciting.

AngelWings: so, how's your roommate?

MysticEyes: she's nice. Theatre major. Doing some minor work in business. Her dad owns some company but she won't say what.

MysticEyes: she says hi.

AngelWings: *sits up straight and fixes hair* hi

MysticEyes: *shakes head* I worry…

AngelWings: as well you should. I wouldn't have it any other way.

MysticEyes: *rolls eyes* Well, I'm gotta get going. Some stuff to do

MysticEyes: *sigh* Millerna wants me to give you her sn

AngelWings: okay….

MysicEyes: it's SpoiledRottenPrincess

AngelWings: and you had a problem with mine…. because….?

MysitcEyes: ttyl Sparky,

AngelWings: lata 'tomi

~

Van sighed. Sure, it wasn't a long time chatting, but it was something. Suddenly, a pop up window asked if he would accept a message from SpoiledRottenPrincess. Shrugging, Van accepted the message.

~

SpoiledRottenPrincess: hey there cutie

AngelWings: ummmm hi.

SpoiledRottenPrincess: Hitomi has told me all about you. You sound like a great guy.

AngelWings: …thanx

SpoiledRottenPrincess: are you and her like an item? The way she talks about you and the stories I wasn't quite sure…

AngelWings: me and Hitomi? No… we're just best friends.

SpoiledRottenPrincess: no? oh, then you have to come visit so I can see this fantastic best friend of hers…

AngelWings: I'd have to check my schedule and all…

SpoiledRottenPrincess: whenever. I look forward to meeting you. *wink*

SpoiledRottenPrincess: oh shoot. gtg. I have a class now. Lata!

AngelWings: cya…

~

'Okay, so Hitomi's roommate is a complete flirt. Why am I suddenly worried?' Shaking his head, Van put up his away message, silently hoping that no other "interesting" people IMed him.

Van got up and grabbed his bag on the way out the door. He had one more class for the day. As he passed the closet, he knocked lightly on the door. "Hey John. Did you check the mail before?"

"Nope."

"I'll take a look then. Later."

"Cya roomie."

Shaking his head, Van left the room and headed for his class on the other side of campus.

~*~A month and a half later~*~

AngelWings: So let me get this straight… your roommate is a born actress but her father wants her to train and learn to take over the family business?

MysticEyes: pretty much

AngelWings: what about her older sister?

MysticEyes: she's running now, but refuses to marry so far… millerna's dad wants her to marry some other company's son so they can become one big company.

AngelWings: that's messed up

MysticEyes: I agree

AngelWings: so tell me about this guy… what was his name?

MysticEyes: his name is Syaoran. He's my friend Sakura's boyfriend.

AngelWings: are you crushin on your friend's boyfriend?

MysticEyes: *rolls eyes* yeah right… he's just a good friend. He says he has a guy he wants to introduce me to, but I don't think so.

AngelWings: why not?

MysticEyes: not interested

AngelWings: right… I understand… playin hard to get…

MysticEyes: Van Fanel! Don't be a baka.

AngelWings: a what?

MysticEyes: an idiot… you don't even know Japanese anymore?

AngelWings: I haven't taken it in a long time!

MysticEyes: baka

AngelWings: be nice…

MysticEyes: how's that roommate of yours... John?

AngelWings: he's okay. When he's not in here, the dinning hall, class or at his girlfriend's (commuter), he's in this girl's room. She's cool. I met her a few times. I think he's eating all her food though.

MysticEyes: I'd hit him if he ate all my food.

AngelWings: oh she hits him too...

MysticEyes: I think I'll like this girl… name?

AngelWings: Danielle. Forgot the last name.

MysticEyes: what do you think of her?

AngelWings: she's nice. A music education major, just like you, a writer, huge anime fan… she has her entire wall covered in anime pictures. It's so cool looking

MysticEyes: sounds nice… so…

AngelWings: so what?

MysticEyes: you really are a baka aren't you?

AngelWings: what??

MysticEyes: what else about her? You seem to be interested… *wink*

AngelWings: don't even start, Kanzaki

MysticEyes: tell me more

AngelWings: *sigh* she's from America. I think she said New Jersey. She is definitely sarcastic and has the quick wit, kinda like you. Let's see… used to play soccer, softball and basketball, but one by one gave them up. She likes theatre a lot and music. She writes fanfictions, poetry and is working on a fiction story… I think she also wrote a musical with lyrics, but couldn't write the actual music yet. Oh, and is practically addicted to Coca Cola. (A/N: I don't own that)

MysticEyes: anything else?

AngelWings: she's kinda antisocial at first, but once you get to know her, she opens up and is so random and hyper.

MysticEyes: so when's the wedding?

AngelWings: it's not like that

MysticEyes: come on, Sparky. How long have you been there?

AngelWings: a month and a half

MysticEyes: how long have you known her?

AngelWings: same about of time

MysticEyes: so go for it!

AngelWings: I don't think so

MysticEyes: what does she do when you walk into the room?

AngelWings: well, she smiles and tells me to come on in.

MysticEyes: what are you usually there for?

AngelWings: to talk or get John

MysticEyes: so… make a move!

AngelWings: Hitomi….

MysticEyes: tell me, do you like her?

AngelWings: well… maybe…

MysticEyes: so try it

AngelWings: but she's more of a loner… I mean John describes her as antisocially friendly

MysticEyes: …. That makes no sense… it's an oxymoron

AngelWings: it suits her well

MysticEyes: you said she warms up when you get to know her… so get to know her… ask her out

AngelWings: I'll thnk about it

AngelWings: *think

MysticEyes: good boy

AngelWings: is this the part where I roll over and play dead for a doggie treat?

MysticEyes: better make it good or no treat

AngelWings: woof

MysticEyes: gotta go to my internship. Later Sparky

AngelWings: cya

~*~sophomore year~*~

MysticEyes: okay, so tell me about this again?

AngelWings: okay, Inu Yasha is a hanyou, half dog demon half human. Kagome is a girl from 1997. she falls into a well at the shrine she lives at and falls about 500 years into the past. She doesn't know what's going on and looks around. There pinned to a tree is Inu Yasha. He has this spell on him to make him sleep basically. Kagome get captured, taken to the village where it is found out she is the reincarnation of Kikyo, the old miko who died 50 years before. Kikyo had sealed Inu Yasha to the tree.

MysticEyes: didn't you say something about a relationship between the hanyou and the miko?

AngelWings: yeah, they had one but they were tricked into betraying each other.

MysticEyes: fun

AngelWings: anyway, so Kagome is attacked and Inu Yasha somehow wakes up from the spell. She runs to the forest where he is and he keeps calling her Kikyo cuz she looks like her. She tells him her name, demon attacks, Kagome takes out sealing arrow releasing the half demon and he saves them all. Before that, the demon ripped out this jewel from Kagome's side called 'Shikon no Tama'. It a very powerful jewel both demons and humans want. Anyway, so Inu Yasha wants it for himself and tries to get it from Kagome. But the current miko of the village, Kaede, who was also Kikyo's younger sister, puts this rosary around his neck. Whenever Kagome says "oswari", he goes crashing to the ground. A restraining spell.

MysticEyes: wish I had one of those…

AngelWings: *ahem* so, fast forwarding a bit, the jewel gets broken into hundreds of pieces and get shot out to different parts of the world… or just Japan I think. Anyway, now Kagome and Inu Yasha have to work together to get all the jewel pieces back.

MysticEyes: sounds cool… Danielle told you about this?

AngelWings: yep

MysticEyes: how are you two doing anyway?

AngelWings: oh we're doing great. Thanx for pushing me to ask her out.

MysticEyes: how long has it been?

AngelWings: about a month

MysticEyes: congrats

AngelWings: thanx… she's going home in a little over a week for thanksgiving with her family. She wants me to go too.

MysticEyes: why not? A trip to America and everything…

AngelWings: kinda nervous meeting her family and all…

MysticEyes: oh please… just go! They can't be too bad… how long would you be gone for?

AngelWings: about five days

MysticEyes: that's cool… remember to tell me all about it

AngelWings: well duh

AngelWings: what about you and that guy?

MysticEyes: who?

AngelWings: Haru?

MysticEyes: what about him?

AngelWings: did you guys hook up?

MysticEyes: nope…

AngelWings: why?

MysticEyes: don't like him that way… he likes me though… to get him away, Millerna starts flirting like crazy! It's so funny… he's kinda scared of her…

AngelWings: ……..

MysticEyes: no comment? Shocker…

AngelWings: anyway, you going home for winter break this year?

MysticEyes: nope… still got that job. Mom and Kenji are coming here for awhile.

AngelWings: where are you guy's staying?

MysticEyes: Millerna has a place off campus. She's letting us stay there.

AngelWings: I thought she was your roommate…

MysticEyes: that was last year… I have a single this year.

AngelWings: oh… where have I been?

MysticEyes: last I checked Palas University

AngelWings: and you're all the way at Fried College. I still can't believe you got into that great school

MysticEyes: wow… you're still dwelling on that? Shouldn't you be concentrating on your girlfriend?

AngelWings: good point…

MysticEyes: I still want to meet her…

AngelWings: I know… if we're still together I'll try and bring her home over the summer for a week or two.

MysticEyes: maybe I could come by for spring break or something

AngelWings: that would be cool. You could probably stay in her room…

MysticEyes: cool

AngelWings: well, I g2g. ttyl 'tomi

MysticEyes: later Sparky

~*~March~*~

Van waited impatiently at the airport, Danielle at his side. She had long blonde hair, brown eyes and stood about 5'6". She was wearing a black tank top with jeans and sandals, her hair pulled back by a black bandana. Van was wearing a blood red t-shirt, tan pants and brown sneakers.

Suddenly, the gate they were standing by had people walk off, meaning the plane had finally arrived. Van was definitely nervous. He hadn't seen Hitomi in almost two years and in just seconds she would come off that plane. She hadn't come home over the summer before sophomore year because of a job. Hitomi did manage to come home for a week, but Van was on vacation and didn't come back until after she had left.

Finally, a girl with shoulder length sandy brown hair came walking out of the terminal. Wearing a white t-shirt, jeans and sandals, the emerald eyed girl looked over and smiled as she saw the two. Van couldn't hold in his excitement and went running over to her, picking her up in his arms with a huge hug.

"Gee, I wonder if you missed me."

After putting her down, Van smiled. "It's good to see you Hitomi. It's been so long."

"Tell me about it." Looking around him, Hitomi spotted the brown eyed girl. Smiling, she walked over to her. "You must be Danielle. I've heard so much about you."

The blonde smiled. "Likewise. It's nice to finally meet you."

"Van said you were kind of closed off to people at first, yet you don't seem that way now."

"I guess since Van talks about you so much, I feel like I already know you."

Both girls laughed as Van smiled. Eventually, they got over to the baggage pick up and brought Hitomi's bags to the car.

As Van was driving, Danielle and Hitomi got to know each other even better, Van listening in. Eventually they got back to the dorms and began to carry Hitomi's things up to Danielle's room. "Typically you can only stay for two nights, but we arranged it so it seems like an emergency so you have the entire week."

"Arigatou."

Both Van and Danielle turned to look at her, Danielle smiling but Van a bit confused. "What?"

Danielle lightly smacked Van in the shoulder. "Don't be a baka. Arigatou is Japanese for thank you. You should know that from watching all that anime." Turning to Hitomi, she added, "I have Inu Yasha on CD with English subtitles."

"Cool. I started watching it on TV in English."

"It's so much better in Japanese."

"I'll go with that."

Van smiled. "Hey, am I going to hang out with my best friend at all while she's here or are you going to keep her all to yourself?"

Danielle pretended to think a moment. "Probably keep her all to myself."

"That's nice of you."

Hitomi just laughed. Van smiled as well. He always did like to hear her laugh.

After dropping off he bags in Danielle's room, and after Hitomi admired the anime wall, Van took Hitomi back to his room. Danielle had some things to do for her class tomorrow, so that gave the two friends time to themselves. Immediately, Hitomi flopped on Van's bed and just looked up at the ceiling. Van, seeing as how his bed was taken, sat on a chair. He had a single this year. "How was the flight?"

"Boring. Good thing I brought some manga and my laptop. Kept me amused for awhile. How have things been?"

"Good, but I still miss the old days when we would just sit around and talk. I really did miss you, Hitomi."

"Likewise." Sitting up, Hitomi looked over at him. "You haven't changed much."

"I would say the same for you, but that hair. What happened?"

"Got tired of cutting it all the time. Why?"

"Nothing. It looks nice, that's all. The people there treating you alright?"

Sighing, Hitomi looked at him head on. "Van, I didn't come all this way to talk about things we talk about online."

Chuckling, Van smiled. "Then what do you want to do?"

"Show me around, twit."

Laughing, Van got up and headed towards the door, Hitomi right behind him. "Okay, let me leave a note for Danielle on the white board. I have to introduce you to John too."

"Cool."

With that, the two left. Van introduced Hitomi to John and his girlfriend Robin as well as show her around the school. He had arranged it so she could sit in on his classes, which she took full advantage of. The week was already flying by for the two.

Hitomi's stay at Palas University made Van think it was just like the old days. One time randomly, Hitomi started a water fight in the field with him and Danielle, which ended up involving practically everyone in the school, including the professors. A friend of Van's named Mark started taking an interest in Hitomi. For some reason, that didn't go over well with Van. Sure, Mark was a nice guy and all, but for some reason, it bothered him greatly. He didn't have to worry though. Hitomi did exchange screen names with him, but made it clear she wasn't interested.

Soon, it came time for Van to take her to the airport. Danielle couldn't go because of an internship, but wished Hitomi a safe ride home, and of course exchanged screen names as well.

Now, Van and Hitomi were standing in front of the gate to take her back to college. Van smiled. "It was really great having you here, Hitomi. I didn't realize just how much I missed you."

"Same here, Sparky. Next time, you come to me. And umm could you tell that Mark guy I'm seriously not interested?"

"Sure thing."

After hearing the final boarding call, Hitomi hugged Van as he returned it. "I'll call as soon as I get there."

"You better." Finally letting her go, Van smiled and waved as Hitomi boarded the plane. He stood by the window and waited up until the plane finally left, waving goodbye to his best friend all over again.

~*~One year later~*~

The phone rang. It was about two in the morning. A very sleepy Van rolled over and grabbed the phone, holding it to his ear. "Hello?"

"Van? Is that you?"

The voice sounded strangely familiar. "Yes, who is this?"

"Van, it's Mrs. Kanzaki. Sorry to wake you but…"

Van sat up as he now recognized the voice and realized she was crying. "What's wrong?"

"Van, I think you need to come home. I know you start Spring Break soon, but… It's Hitomi."

That woke him up. Van swung his feet off the bed and to the floor. "What's wrong? What happened??"

"She… she's been in a car accident."

Van felt his heart stop in his chest as he dropped the phone. His eyes went wide as shock hit him then. 'Hitomi? In a car accident…' Hearing Maaya's voice out of the dropped phone snapped him back to reality. "Sorry, what happened?"

"She was coming home for Spring Break, the first time she could in so long. Hitomi was coming here after stopping at a friend's house in Mystic Moon when she was hit by a drunk driver. Oh Van. Please, you need to come home."

Nodding to himself, he answered, "I'm on my way. I should be home in about three hours. Which hospital is she in?"

"Samurai General."

"Alright, I'll be there as soon as I can. Is Kenji with you?"

"No, he's on a field trip. He'll be home tomorrow."

"Okay, I'm on my way now. I'll see you soon."

"Please hurry."

"I will. Ja."

With that, Van quickly hung up the phone and got himself together. Quickly throwing random clothes into his suitcase, Van rushed to get out of there as soon as possible. Before leaving completely though, he ran over to Danielle's dorm room and began knocking on her door hard. He knew she was a heavy sleeper, so he just prayed her roommate was away already. Luck was on his side when a sleepy Danielle answered the door. "Wha… Van?"

"Sorry to wake you, but this is important. I can't talk long. I have to get back."

"Back home? Why?"

"Hitomi's been in a car accident."

The girl's eyes widened and she was instantly awake. "Oh Kami, is she?"

"I don't know. Please, you know who my professors are. Could you email them and tell them why I'm missing today's classes?"

"Of course. Just go. Call me when you find out anything."

"I will. Thank you, Danielle." With a quick kiss on the cheek, Van headed down to his car, throwing the suitcase in the back. He quickly started it up and sped back home. 'Hitomi, just hold on. I'm coming.'

~

Van burst through the hospital doors and ran over to the main desk. By now it was five in the morning. "Please, where can I find Hitomi Kanzaki's room?"

The nurse looked up at him. "Are you a relative?"

"You could say that."

"Only relatives can see her."

Frustrated, Van was about to let loose on this woman when a softer voice broke through. "Nurse, this boy is my daughter's best friend and is considered part of our family." Both turned to see a weakened Mrs. Kanzaki trying hard to seem as if she means business. The nurse only nodded and Van followed Maaya to her daughter's room. "She's in critical condition. They only brought her out of the ER a half hour ago. My poor little girl…"

When he entered the room, Van's heart shattered into tiny pieces. There lay Hitomi with dozens of tubes and wires sticking out of her. So many bruises were on her, Van didn't think he could see her real skin color anymore. Slowly, he made his way to Hitomi's side and gently took her small hand in his. It was cold to the touch, making Van shiver slightly. He continued to stare at her, not really believing this had happened.

"Mrs. Kanzaki?"

Maaya turned to see the doctor standing in the doorway, waiting to tell her what was wrong. She left the room with the doctor as Van continued to sit at Hitomi's side. "Oh Hitomi. Why did you go back to that place?"

A few minutes later, a crying Maaya came back into the room and over to Van. "She's in a coma, Van. They think she'll come out of it in a few days though, but it all depends on this night. If she flat lines more then once, then…"

Van looked up at the woman and took her hand. "Don't think that. Hitomi's strong. I know she'll make it. I just know it."

Nodding, Maaya left the room to get some coffee, and to clear her head. Van would not leave Hitomi's side. "Come on Hitomi. You are strong. You have to wake up as soon as possible. You can't leave me like this. You can't leave me alone."

With that said, the maroon eyed boy slowly fell asleep next to his best friend's bed, the steady beeps from the heart monitor the only sound in the room.

~

Van was awakened to a crazy amount of beeps going off. Curious, he looked over and saw the heart monitor going crazy. Without hesitation, Van ran out of the room. "Nurse! Someone get a doctor quick!"

A half dozen doctors and nurses ran into the room, Maaya taken outside by Van as they worked on Hitomi.

"She's crashing!"

beeeeeeeee

"Give me the paddles, stat! Clear!"

*thump*

beeeeeeeee

"Give it more juice. Clear!"

*thump*

Van watched from the doorway as Hitomi's small body jumped with the electric shock sent into it. Tears were prevented from flowing down his face as he stopped Mrs. Kanzaki from watching, knowing it would be too painful. 'Come on, Hitomi! Come back!'

"Clear!"

*thump*

beeeeeeee

~*~A little over a year later~*~

The green lawn was covered with families and friends, watching as the senior class got up and received their diplomas. The Dean continued reading off the long list as the seniors sat in anticipation.

"Mr. Van Fanel."

Van stood up and walked over to the platform as some members of the crowd applauded. His eyes gazed over to see familiar faces. John was sitting with his fiancée, Robin, smiling knowing they both made it. Danielle was smiling at him, awaiting her turn to get her diploma. They had broken up over the summer, but were still on very good terms, staying very good friend. She started seeing this guy recently and was happy. Gazing over more, Van saw his mother, crying at the fact her son was not a baby anymore. Merle had come from college to see her big brother graduate. She was going to be a history teacher, graduating in two years. Folken sat beside her, smiling at his brother. He had come that morning from work, which was doing well.

As Van was getting closer and closer to the diploma, he continued to search through the crowd. Reaching the Dean, he smiled and shook his hand while taking the diploma. After moving the tassel, Van looked out again and smiled. Those beautiful emerald eyes caught his as she smiled and applauded. Next to her were her mother and brother, who had come from college as well. He also was graduating next year. 'I'm glad she made it. It wouldn't have felt right without my best friend.'

Soon Van took his seat as the rest of the class graduated. When it was over, they all threw their caps into the air and cheered. After hugging his friends, Van went over towards his family. Varie hugged him tightly, as did Merle while Folken just shook his hand. Noticing his eyes dart around, Varie smiled. "Go find her, Van. We'll meet you at the hotel."

Smiling, Van gave her one last hug, then ran into the crowd until he found that emerald eyed girl. The hunt wasn't that long for he found her standing by a tree just outside the massive amounts of people. She saw him coming and smiled, meeting him halfway and hugging him as his arms went around her. "Congratulations, Sparky."

"Thanks." Just a few weeks ago, Van was doing the same thing to Hitomi after she graduated. She was just so happy, Van nearly burst from his happiness for her. And now it was the other way around.

Finally letting go, Hitomi smiled again. "Mom and Kenji said they'll congratulate you at the hotel. We're only a room down from your family. We'll meet you at the hotel after you're done celebrating."

"What, you don't want to come with me?"

Shaking her head, Hitomi continued to smile. "No. It's your night."

"Come on, 'Tomi. You dragged me with you."

Laughing a bit, Hitomi nodded. "Oh alright."

Without hesitation, Van grabbed her hand and pulled her into the crowd so they could begin to have fun. Danielle eventually ran into them and the girls hugged as the rest of the group came together. They all went out and partied at a night club, Hitomi sitting off to the side as they all danced. Even though Mark asked her repeatedly to dance, she politely refused each time. Van did spend most of his time with her, but ended up dancing a lot as well.

Finally it was about one in the morning when they all separated and headed back to their respective lodging areas. Going up to their separate rooms, Van mouthed a good night to Hitomi who did the same back.

They had done it. They had both graduated. The next day they would begin heading back home and after a few weeks of rest, begin looking for a job, but tonight they just needed to rest. It had been a hell of a four years. Their friendship had been tested and they passed. Hitomi almost died in that hospital, but miraculously pulled through and made a full recovery. She didn't even have any scars from the accident, only memories.

And as soon as the sun would rise on a new morning, the new chapter of their lives would begin. But right now, they just slept the night away.

~*~Comments are lovely. I decided to put all four year in one chapter so I could get to the "real story" quicker. The "timing" from now out won't be so random. Hope you liked it! I stayed up until four in the morning finishing this. I think I'll skip my first class…

Next chapter will hopefully be up next week, either Monday or Tuesday. Ja ne!~*~