Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Thinking About Forever ❯ the coming of forever... ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I don't own Escaflowne, only the things that I have made up. I would also like to thank Blade and Shadow for their help. They have the original Thinking About Forever up but they changed it's title and a few other things.

Thinking About Forever

It was an honest department store. Large with two floors and attached to a strip mall. With rows upon shelves stuffed full of any item from food to clothes to medicine to toys and any other thing you may want. It was the best place in the entire city to buy anything.

Or steal anything.

With a swift swoosh the automatic doors opened allowing access to the seven teens as they walked in. A scraggly group. All were orphans and considered 'street rats', but the newest man on the job didn't know that and the owner of the store was in the back. It was a good thing that there were no cameras. The store owner didn't remember their faces anyway.

The two red heads at the front pointed the other five in separate directs and some to different floors. They did this before turning in different directions themselves. The first red head, that was slightly taller, headed toward medical supplies. Her long fiery red hair swinging behind her in soft brushes at her hips as she walked toward the shelves with her head held high and her sapphire eyes determined.

The other red head was slight shorter with her flaming hair brushing just below her armpits. She walked with bouncing enthusiasm and a large smile as she headed toward the foods. Her emerald green eyes held a sort of enthusiasm just like her joyful steps. She was one who was full of play, like this was a big game when really all the teens were doing was surviving.

She met with one of the other teens that had walked in with her. Tall and lanky he had long bushy strands of brown hair falling in his deep brown eyes. He smiled. Derek was one of the older ones and one of the biggest flirts.

"Ver, your on FG D too?" He asked slyly. Jerk.

"Dirk you jerk. Lets just get the food and get out." She smiled at him. He used a mock crushed look before smiling back. They began pulling things off shelves. Bread, milk, fresh water, canned goods, and other necessities were gathered together. Hopefully they would be able to carry it all. Veronica smiled. Everything they needed for the next week. There was a rustle of paper and plastic.

Veronica looked over and smiled.

A slightly older, maybe middle aged short woman had set down her bags and was currently not watching them as she reached as high as she could to reach the top shelf for a product. She was having a hard time. She wouldn't notice if….Veronica slinked over to the bags quietly and looked in. There wasn't a lot of good stuff but a purse and a jeweler's bag. She must have recently bought some jewelry. The mere thought of it made Veronica's grin widen.

She reached in and without making a sound snatched the purse and jewelry bag out. She reached over and picked the item out for the woman and held it out for her with a smile.

"Here you go." She must not have looked like much in her faded torn and worn baggy denim jeans and her old black shirt with its tiny rips-the woman smiled gratefully-but she sure could make a good impression before she ran off.

"Thank you young lady." She sounded grateful. Veronica wondered if she would feel the same way later. A loud whistle came.

It was the signal to get out of there.

She waved good by and ran back to Derek who waited for her with his arms full. She scooped up her portion and they both ran.

* * *

The automatic doors were already open because some of the other members of the gang were already out of the stores exit. It made it easier to escape. Oh so much easier. It also made it easier because as they whisked down the streets there was hardly anyone to stop them. Well except for the broom wielding store owner that was chasing them. Well more like waddling very quickly after them swinging his ax…um broom.

Veronica laughed joyously, bouncing with each step. Her hair flowing like liquid fire. The same was with Victoria but she didn't bounce she just ran with the oh-shit-hope-we-don't-get-caught look. She was a bit more against stealing. Said it wasn't right but what wasn't right when you wanted to live to see the next day.

They scrambled down the deserted streets and around the street corner. Only a few cars went by and they knew this as a normal ritual. It was the worst part of the city. Violence, orphans, and gangs were not an uncommon thing. They just ignored them. If the police did nothing the bystanders would do nothing.

The group slid down the ally way towards a high fence. Around it there were a few sprouts of green and a rusting old car that had been left there. Another teen was sitting in side the empty thing. Most of the parts had been scavenged and it was now a good look out post when the others left.

Someone needed to protect their home more than the needed supplies.

He waved. A well muscled fellow he was for a fifteen year old. They nodded their heads and he moved to slip a loose plank of old wood to the side. He held it and one by one the seven teens slipped inside.

The placed their supplies, newly stolen, on the ground. Food was immediately placed in the safe room. The safe room was a concrete four walled room that was probably the cellar to the old building that made up the right side of the alley. The left side of the room was used for the supplies and included a cooler that kept the perishables kind of fresh.

The right side was where the gang slept. There were three mattresses and tons of old blankets and ripped pillows with the stuffing oozing out of them. But they were still comfortable and it kept the group warm. It also kept them safe because the door was made of iron and could be locked from both the inside and there was a secret latch that could lock it from the outside.

So far they had never been found and they usually kept everything inside so if they were attacked from a rival gang they would not get anything important. Unless they got one of the members but that had yet to happen.

As Veronica bent and placed the food inside she felt a pair of hands fall to her hips. She smirked.

"What is it Derek? Don't you have something better to do?" She asked in mock annoyance. She could practically see the grin on his face.

"Aw you know you like it besides…" He gave her rear a small spank, causing her to jump. "…I finished putting my share away." He bent down and molded with her frame. The brunette breathed huskily into her ear causing a small shiver of delight. With half lidded eyes she did her best to resist him.

"You better watch it. That's my twin your messing with, besides there are children around here." Came a monotone voice. Derek immediately backed away and held his hands up. Victoria stood in the door way with 5 smaller children between the ages seven and ten. She was the group leader. The big woman.

The brains of the operation.

"Sorry 'bout that." Derek said backing away.

"You better be. Now there are some people out there that need your help. We're sorting things and it would be appreciated if you…" Victoria sent him a look and he was already moving past her. Her message had been clear. That hadn't been a request that had been a command.

Veronica smiled. "Thanks sis, don't know what I'd do without you."

"You'd probably be a sex slave to either Derek or a few of the other guys in this gang or a rape victim of a rival gang. You know…the ones that are always after us." Victoria winked. She waved the kids over to her twin. The dirtied little bright eyed 'runts', as Veronica playfully called them, rushed over and crowded at her feet she patted each with a promise a nice cleaning later.

Victoria came over a handed Veronica a mound of clothes. "Check these out. They were stolen today with you in mind. They should just about be your size."

"What about you?"

"I already have mine. We have already sorted all the clothes out amongst the group."

"Here…" she handed the jewelry bag to Victoria. "…I swiped this from some unsuspecting woman along with her whole purse." Victoria gave her one of those looks but took the bag and looked inside. Veronica was grinning and by the time Victoria looked up she was grinning too.

A sign that either meant something bad was going to happen or there was going to be some serious partying going on.

* * *

They were dressed to kill. All of the teens were. If they you saw them walking down the street you would have seen a group of party happy teens. The over hanging street lights glowed like spot lights. But it was still dark.

Too dark.

They hardly could hear anything over their talk and chatter but when a sudden pang of discomfort like she was being watched hit Veronica square in the gut she stopped and looked in all directions. Victoria stopped too. She hushed everyone into silence.

"Ver…what's wrong?" Victoria asked her eyes darting in every direction in case of visible reasons for distress. Everyone went on guard. Veronica shrugged.

"I don't know, just got this feeling that we're being watched. That's all." Everyone relaxed slightly and moved along toward the club they were going too. But this time it was in total silence. No one dared to speak, just listen.

And is what warned them.

A whistle of something whirling in a circle echoed down the deserted street. The group of teens turned in every which-way of a direction and finally their gaze landed on a dark unlit ally. That was where the sound had originated.

There was a click and a shuffle of feet. Someone was in there and he stepped out in all of his muscular glory. He had to be 5'9" with a long thick iron chain of links that he swung in front of him with the most malicious grin. He wasn't the only one.

Five more shuffled out behind him and across the street in another dark empty alley way eight flung from their hiding places and ran to surround the group of teens. Each had some sort of weapon, whether it was improvised or made to be dangerous. Some had knives, others had chains or pipes or even planks of wood with jagged nails popping out of the end.

Veronica and Victoria knew who they were. They had seen this gang often. A dirty vicious group called Hammer and Nails after the first two leaders of the group, even though Nails was killed in an accident. Hammer was probably the man in front of them with the chain.

A long jagged scar ran from his ear to his chin. Veronica remembered when Victoria had given him that when he had tried to 'have fun' with her. They had only been 13 back then, two years ago, but it was clear in her memory.

Hammer smiled. "Well hello. Look what we have here boys. It's our friends from MysticCurse." They hooted and hollered like animals. One man whistled and smacked Victoria's ass. She smacked his hand when he tried it again and Lucan, the 15 year old who usually had guard duty, stepped in front of Victoria with a glare. His build rivaled half of the opposing gang members. Some of them stepped back.

A pipe shot out and caught Timothy's head. He was another of the members of the gang and his dark brown hair glittered with blood where he was hit as his blue eyes rolled back into his head and he crumpled to the ground. Tasha rushed to him. She had curly brown hair, dark skin, and evergreen colored eyes.

She whipped out her pocket knife and swung it as she stood over Timothy muttering Spanish curses while warding off oppressing forces. A chain stuck the arm holding the knife. It clattered to the ground and she let out a painful screech. She was then grabbed by the waist and dragged up against a man. She flailed. Her arms struck him her nails bit in and finally she brought her knee up painfully into his groin. He howled and flung her away.

Veronica rushed to her aid. Tasha was a good friend and there was no way in hell that the red head would let them do anything to her. Tasha spit and muttered something about breaking a nail before standing up with the help of Veronica.

"El es un moron de mierda." He is a fucking moron.

Veronica nodded at Tasha's words. Tasha looked back, probably to see if Timothy was still there. When she saw him she sighed in relief before turning back to the gang. She hit them with a glare and if looks could kill the gang would have been dead in that second.

There was yell, it made heads turn. Both flicked their green eyes to the sound before spinning completely toward the yell. Lucan was rammed into a wall by two enemy gang members. The rest of the gang took their chance and Hammer grabbed Victoria by the arms and twisted them behind her back painfully. She bit her lip. She wasn't fond of pain and Veronica knew it. It made the situation even worse when she, herself, was grabbed from behind.

The redhead yelled. And just as suddenly, she was twisted free and pushed behind someone. Derek. He was glaring furiously at everyone who came near. I guess it was that look that said if-I-can't-have-her-in-my-bed-then-you-can't-either. Veronica sighed. He just didn't stop did he? Even when they were fighting a rival gang.

Derek was knocked aside but by that time Veronica was already heading toward her sister. She paused to look back at Derek but continued on. The redhead nearly tripped over something and she looked down to see what it was. A small can of spray. Pepper spray. Oh boy did she get lucky. Some woman must have dropped it.

There was a god.

Veronica grabbed it and rushed toward Victoria and Hammer with a new purpose in mind.

"Hey big boy! Over here!" Hammer looked up from his prisoner and Veronica took her chance. She held the spray up and pressed down. The spray hissed out of the can. A direct hit. Oddly, Hammer made the same sound as the can with a yowl like a cat added at the end. He threw Victoria at Veronica and she narrowly dodged being knocked over.

"Veronica! Victoria!" They both looked when Derek yelled that. The twin red heads finally seemed to realize why he sounded so concerned.

The entire male part of their gang had been beaten down leaving only the females, Tasha, Veronica, and Victoria, unharmed. Timothy, Jacob, and Garret had been knocked out and Lucan and Derek were being held down.

The twins and Tasha both let out curses.

Hammer was rubbing at his eyes with a scowl across his face. "Damn it little girl, I'll get you back for that. Little slut." He spat out. Veronica crossed her arms over her chest.

"I am not a slut." She said indignantly. He grinned.

"You are now. You're a slut for our gang along with that pretty twin of yours and the Spanish girl." He opened his eyes. They were slightly red and freaky. The girls backed away. "Get them, boys!"

The girls were startled to say the least. Victoria tried to fight back but her skirt restricted most of her movement and Veronica did know to much about the subject but she tried. Tasha was high kicking and low kicking and always kicking until one of the men grabbed her foot. She tried to pull away. He let go and she lost her balance.

She fell hard on her back and Veronica was torn between her sister and her friend. She had no idea of what to do. She just smacked them down as they came to her and got who ever was coming near Tasha and Victoria. If the men were within her reach. Most of them kept getting back up and trying again. And again. And again.

Finally she was tackled down painfully. Her arm was twisted behind her back and as she hit the ground the small pebbles and pavement ripped open her elbows and arm. Her head whipped back and smacked her pavement hard causing little dots to appear in her vision. Veronica ground her teeth with a growl. Gosh darn that hurt. Now she was hurt and to top it off they were holding her down. How was she going to help Tasha or her sister now?

Tasha was in the same situation but her knees were pushing up against the guy holding her down to keep some distance between them. Victoria had been thrown against a wall by Hammer with his head buried between her breasts. Victoria looked like she was going to throw up. Veronica could tell as her sisters face got sickly looking.

Hammer motioned two of the gang members over and they held Victoria down. As they held her Hammer slid one of his large filthy hands up her shirt. The last thing Veronica heard before everything went red was Victoria's unbearably pained whimper.

Veronica's eyes went from their normal emerald green to bright neon green and she pulled back her lips for a snarl. No one touched her sister like that. Ever! Around her the wind picked up and sent all the papers flying. She growled. Suddenly the guy pinning her down flew up high into the air then took a turn and was smashed into a building with a startled scream.

Veronica pushed herself up menacingly. Then she lifted her head to the sky and screamed. Gale winds picked up, sending cars, dumpsters, and people into the air. Well enemy people. She turned her attention back to Hammer and his two goons pinning Victoria. Veronica glared and a small tornado formed in front of her.

It flew towards them and picked Hammer and his goons up and tossed them high into the air leaving only Victoria to collapse to the ground unharmed. The rest of the unharmed rival gang members were tossed into the air. She raised her arms to the sky and concentrated before jerking them back down. All of the people up in the air, and the cars and dumpsters were smashed down into the ground.

Victoria, Tasha, Derek, and Lucan looked up at Veronica with horrified surprise and maybe a little bit of relief and confusion. Slowly a lavender glow surrounded her and then left. Her eyes went back to her normal color and she blinked.

"Huh…what…?" She managed to get past her lips before her eyes rolled up into her head and she fainted. Victoria and Derek rushed to her side.

"Lucan, Tasha…check the unconscious and wounded. See if their all right." Victoria commanded. They nodded and went over to the other three members of their group. A small lavender pattern appeared and glowed on Veronica's cheek. A beam of light shone down from the sky and landed on them all. They were pulled upward, dragged up into the sky and through the clouds.

The large beam became three separate beams of light and flew off on separate paths to land in different places in a world called Gaea. One beam dropped the injured rival gang into endless fields. Another dropped two teens into a country called Fanelia. The rest of the gang was sent in the third beam of light to a floating ship owned by Zaibach called the Vione.

~Owari