Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Thinking About Forever ❯ Up in Flames ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I really don't want to write this every damn time I make the next chapter. But…I don't own Escaflowne. Only the original characters that you see.

Thinking About Forever

By: Raven Moonshadow

Chapter 4

"So where did Dilandau and the Dragonslayers go?" Veronica looked up at the silent soldier across from her. For some odd reason she had the feeling that he was ignoring her. He hadn't said anything since she had sat down, maybe 20 minutes ago. It felt like she ought to be talking to a brick wall. I might at least get a better conversation out of the brick wall.

Silence.

Okay now this is getting annoying. Veronica reached across the table and snatched the soldier's spoon out of his hand. Holding up just out of his reach she smirked. "If you wish to eat with this spoon then you will answer my question." The soldier glared and made a grab for the spoon, which she pulled away tauntingly. "Tsk, tsk, I told you to answer the question if you wanted the spoon back unharmed."

"They're out on a mission." The soldier said monotonously.

"Where?" The red head drawled out slowly in a taunting manner. The soldier growled.

"Some country called Fanelia."

"To do what?"

Growl. Glare. "Probably to destroy it."

"When will they be back?"

The soldier in chain mail turned an interesting shade of purplish-red. "In a few hours." Veronica smiled and tossed the spoon to the soldier lazily.

"Thanks. It was a pleasure doing business with you." And she stood up with a smirk and leisurely strolled away from the table and out the door.

Folken watched from the shadows with a half-smile as the redheaded young woman toyed with his soldier. What an interesting girl. Then he seemingly vanished back into the shadows.

Veronica on the other hand walked down the dimly lit halls, staring up at the ceiling in boredom. A few hours. That was way too long for her. Folken had promised a sort of tournament to see if her gang could become part of the elite Dragonslayers. That was…after Dilandau and the Dragonslayers got back.

Dilandau.

The name sent unpleasant shivers down her spine. She'd only been here a day or two and already she had clashed with the insane albino teen. The Dragonslayers had been amazed that she was even still alive after the way they had butted heads. And so far, after that fight, she had managed to avoid him like the plague. But she'd have to see him later. Compete to become a soldier under him. She wasn't really sure that that was what she wanted.

It was no secret. She feared him. With a sigh Veronica continued to muse to herself mentally until running foot steps made her realize she wasn't alone.

"Yo Chica!" The red head snapped around.

"Tasha. It's you. How's Timothy and Garret?" The red head asked stopping mid-stride. The Spanish girl caught up to her.

"Recovering. Timothy's much better and Garret…well Garret is one tough muchacho. His limp is almost gone now. This places medical staff is muchos buenos." Tasha said smiling. Veronica smiled back.

"That's good."

"So when does this 'tournament' start?" the Spanish girl asked anxiously. "I'm fully ready to kick some ass. Especially that guy you said wanted to make you his puta." Tasha did a round house to accent her point, just barely missing Veronica.

"Whoa!" Emerald eyes were wide as the red head ducked. She held up her hands. "Save it for him, Tasha."

Tasha ran a hand through her curly brown ponytail. "Sorry. But a fight excites me. I just can't wait." Veronica giggled.

"I know, Tasha. I know. Let's go torture Derek or something until Dilandau and the Dragonslayers get back." The red head suggested with a mischievous smile. Tasha giggled evilly.

"Ah, chica, I like the way you think." And then both girls rushed off to play a game of torture-Derek-until-he's-insane. Folken blinked as he watched them run down the hallway. Interesting…

* * * *

"I, Van Slanzar de Fanel, accept the duties as royal heir of Fanelia and in doing so, have completed the rite of Dragon slaying." Van Fanel presented the Drag Energist to the high priest of Fanelia. The priest bowed and took the Energist, presenting it to the audience as Van knelt in his royal Fanelian garb. The armor he wore was white with the Fanelian family insignia on it's helmet and in the corner of it's chest piece.

The priest then handed the Energist to Balgus who in turn handed the priest a sheathed sword. It was laid in Van's upturned hands as the priest began to speak in a language that Victoria didn't understand. Yes, Victoria, who watched, in a royal Fanelian dress of emerald green with the royal house insignia skillfully woven in gold just above her right breast, at the front of the crowds of people, all eagerly waiting for their new, official king.

She was surprised at how festive the ceremonies had been before everyone calmed down to watch in awe as their king was made king. Merle had decided to get her view from the cliff above. Victoria had no doubt that it was also to try to avoid being around her. The cat girl had been very wary of the red head after their fight yesterday.

Van nodded at the priests words, unsheathed the sword, and then turned to hold it out towards the people of Fanelia. A cheer went up and the people burst into applause. She smiled at him and began clapping. Lucan, though, watched Van warily till Victoria elbowed him into clapping as well. He blinked down at her raised eyebrows as he clapped.

"Hm…?" Victoria gave Lucan a look.

"What?" He asked exasperated.

"Stop glaring at Van."

"I'm not glaring. Besides, what does it matter?"

"He's being crowned king. Give him some respect. You were the one that suggested we except the Fanelian royal hospitality."

"Hmph." He made a face that was similar to that of a pout. Victoria shook her head, ruby locks flew only to settle on her shoulders wildly. Then she sniffed. Then sniffed again.

"What is it?" Lucan asked suddenly worried.

"Smells like fire." Victoria turned toward the city below them.

"Fire?" He blinked and then looked down to where Victoria had suddenly pointed. Indeed, there was a fire below and lots of smoke billowing around. Other people had begun to notice the red heads gaze and screams went up. A man in armor rushed up to Balgus and Van and told them something that made there eyes widen. Shouts began to go up. People began running and screaming. Some soldiers that flew past them, weapons in hand, were saying something about 'invisible enemies'.

"Invisible enemies…" Lucan mumbled his brow knitting together. His hand locked onto the red heads arm. "We should get out of here. I don't want you getting hurt."

"We should go help them. They've given us food and shelter." Victoria said turning to him.

"But…" She was already heading in the other direction, to where Van was talking with some armored men. Lucan quickly followed after her mumbling about audacious fiery redheads.

"Van!" He didn't turn. His attention was centered solely on the soldier in front of him. "Van!" Balgus looked over at her. He motioned her closer as she pressed through a frantic bunch of women and children. She heard Lucan behind her. Finally she squeezed through and stopped at Balgus' side. He looked down at her in concern. "What's going on?" Victoria asked.

"It is nothing for you to know. I am concerned for your safety, though."

She huffed. "I want to help. I know how to fight. You've given Lucan and I shelter for no reason other than kindness, it's the least we could do to repay you." Balgus shook his head, even though a small smile graced his lips.

"That is very generous of you, but I would feel much better knowing that you, Lucan, and Lord Van were safely away from Fanelia while we fight." An explosion sounded in the background, causing many heads to turn. Van growled.

"Balgus I want to fight." He nearly echoed what she had said to Balgus earlier. Balgus' answer was the same for him.

"Lord Van, please take Lady Victoria and Lord Lucan away from here. Use the Escaflowne." Balgus held out the Drag Energist and gave it to Van. The young king looked ready to protest when another explosion sounded, this one much closer than any of the others. The enemy was definitely moving towards the castle. "Hurry Lord Van!" Balgus turned away then and snatched a huge sword out of the air after it had been thrown by another general.

Victoria wanted to watch, she wanted to make sure that the friendly scarred warrior would be okay, but Van suddenly tugged her away towards a large building that lay not to far away. They ran, all three of them. Van scowled once as he looked over his shoulder to watch the flames that were raging at the outskirts of the city.

She saw the way his teeth clenched and his eyes hardened.

She could almost see his heart tighten with worry over his kingdom.

Fanelia.

They skidded through the doors of the building and turned sharply. Running down the corridor they finally came upon a room filled with white marble. A large round marble dais with swirling gray, white, and flecks of black sat in the middle of the room with wide stairs leading up to it. It was gorgeous room. Victoria and Lucan both craned their necks to look up upon the impossibly high domed ceiling. Paintings of what looked like men in armor fighting serpent looking things swirled around the very bottom of the dome along with a story line of the kingdom and a big white suit of armor. She looked a little farther up. There was something at the very top but the bright light that suddenly flared blinded her into looking away.

When her eyes finally adjusted she saw Van in the center of the platform holding up the Drag Energist and the ceremonial sword he had been handed at his coronation. She heard him shout something and then he slid his thumb over the edge of the sword. Blood beaded at the tip and he smoothed it over the polished surface of the Energist. There was suddenly a loud crack and then a creak that sounded from the high dome. Victoria looked up, shielding her eyes to the light in hopes of catching glimpse of what the sound was coming from.

Her heart beat sped up.

An unexpected lurch in her abdomen. It suddenly felt like something was crawling through her mind. Worming through, viewing her memories and dreams. She placed a hand to her temple, trying to stop the feeling.

There was a thud. Her eyes snapped back up to witness a huge machine land before Van, a billowing cape behind it. Van spoke once again, louder this time, but her head was throbbing, jumbling the words. The only one she heard before he slid his hand through what looked to be solid red quarts stone was…

…Escaflowne.

The red quarts stone pulsed with life. Victoria lurched forward with the pulse, unfamiliar feelings and pictures flashing before her eyes as she looked up into the mecha's cold blue stone eyes. Lucan had her in his arms in a second.

"Vicki, what's wrong?" He asked urgently. Her sapphire eyes were open wide as she watched the mental pictures flash. The last one was of Veronica in some unfamiliar place standing in front of a window with Derek and Tasha fighting not to far away. Her twins' head snapped around to look at Victoria before her emerald eyes widened and her hand flew to her temple with a soundless scream. Then it was gone and collapsed heavily against Lucan, gasping for breath. What was that? She looked into Lucan's blue eyes as he searched her face for answers. "Vicki?"

She waved him off. "I'm okay. But…but I saw Veronica. Tasha and Derek are with her at least." He blinked.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah." She nodded. She looked up over Lucan's shoulder and yelped. The white mecha was standing over them. Lucan snapped around, ready to defend her only to see the same machine and have his own eyes widen. She looked around.

Where was Van?

Suddenly a piece of the machines face slid away and Van's face was there.

"Is everything alright?" the king asked. Victoria nodded. "Good. Hold still. I'm going to pick you guys up." A large hand came down and gently wrapped its fingers around Lucan before hoisting him up onto its shoulder. "Can you manage to hang on?" Lucan nodded, grabbing onto a piece of the armor. The hand came down again and picked her up. It was surprisingly gentle for a metal made hand. "Hang on."

Lucan and Victoria both nodded as the machine began moving. Then it began to pick up it's pace. They both held tight to whatever they could get their hands on as the mecha made its way down the corridor to the opening they had first come through.

Something smashed into the back of the mecha. Van grunted and swung around. But nothing was there. Victoria blinked. What the…? She saw a glimmer in the corner of her eye. "Van! Look over there. I thought I saw something." He turned and again they found nothing. Victoria looked around, her mind going to work. There was something here. She could feel it but for some odd reason they couldn't see it. Suddenly her eyes went to a piece of marble. There in the marble she saw something behind them reflected. It was like a floating mecha arm, attached to nothing, but raised to the Escaflowne. "Van Behind us!" She screamed. Van reached back and swung around, a large sword suddenly in hand. It came into contact with the arm and there was a flicker, before another huge mecha, a blue one, suddenly came into sight, attached to the arm Van had just sliced off.

It backed away, raising its other hand and spewed flames forth. Van jumped away, shielding Victoria and Lucan the best he could. Victoria looked into the flames, entranced. They shimmered and licked towards her hungrily in tendrils of red, orange, and gold. Her eyes flashed and through the flames she saw three other blue mecha's helping the other away. "Van their getting away." She said, her eyes never straying from the flames. Allured, she reached out, only to have Van pull her away. She made noise, still reaching for it. But Van went around the flames and then with a bolt of suddenly agility he leapt over the flames and out the door.

Van stopped dead in his tracks after that, and all three stared at the city.

Flames.

Fire everywhere. It engulfed the entire city. The Fanelian mecha's littered the ground. Blood leaked from the wreckages, causing Victoria to recoil. There was so much hurt and sorrow in the air. How could such a beautiful element like fire cause so much damage? But then again, in the wrong hands, everything can cause damage.

The blue mecha missing an arm was there, a strange silver liquid leading from the broken limb like blood. Three other mecha's stood around it. There was a stomp and a swoosh, as if a cape were being tossed aside, and another mecha revealed itself. This one was red though. Laughter came from inside it as more blue ones appeared behind it, six more to be exact. The red one had something in one of its hands claws. She could almost see a smirk on the blank face in her head that was the other machines pilot. It leveled its hand in the air and released the thing from its claws.

Balgus' body hit the ground with a dull thud.

Her eyes widened. Balgus. He…he was dead. She felt tears come to her eyes as she gazed at the old man who had been so kind to her. Memories of the few days that she had been in Fanelia came to mind. All of them included Balgus. She shook.

The whole mecha shook.

And through teary eyes she saw Van crying as well. Lucan looked downcast, his eyes glazed. Everyone felt the loss…

…And Victoria screamed. Red light flashed around her. And past that point she could remember nothing except the fire and ruby red eyes smirking at her.

* * * *

Veronica screamed, one hand clutched her chest above her heart and the other held her temple. It hurt. She felt so much pain. Was…Victoria in trouble?

Her body trembled.

Derek and Tasha had stopped as quickly as their bickering had begun and they rushed to her side. Folken appeared suddenly with a few soldiers behind him. The red head clenched her eyes shut as tears prickled her eyes. Why? What was happening? Her thoughts revolved around Victoria.

Then just as suddenly her body flared with a purple light and she blacked out.

* * * *

Somewhere far away a gang of men looked up into the ruby eyes of a giant shadow, its large shapeless black wings flaring behind it as it let out a fanged smirk. The leader of the men smirked as well, causing a crease in the jagged scar that ran from his temple to his chin.

~Owari

Raven: *ducks flying sporks* I know! I know! I haven't updated this story in forever. Forgive me. I have been working on my original writing on fiction press under the name Obsidian Night and have had no time to work on any of my fanfic's. I'll try to make it up to you. Hopefully you like this 6 page chapter. Reviews are excepted.