Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Wings of Destiny ❯ Chapter II ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]







Wings of Destiny


Chapter II


_______________________________________________________
< p>
The sky was clear, with not a single speck of cloud. The dark night sky glittered with crystal like stars, sparkling millions of miles away. Reflecting in the night sky was a pair of twin moons, shining with great radiance. One was that of the natural moon, and the other was the Earth, in all its glory. Suddenly, appearing within the sky, was a pillar of white light. It descended from the sky and landed by the curve of a man-made road. Held within the light was a blonde girl.

Once Hitomi landed solidly on the musty ground, the pillar of light faded. She opened her emerald colored eyes and gazed up at the night sky. She smiled softly, seeing the twin moons within the sky. "I'm really back..." she whispered to herself. "After three years, I've come back Van." She clutched the duffel bag that crossed over her shoulder and gazed at her surroundings. An annoyed look came over her face. "Oh this is just great! I've landed in the middle of nowhere." She sighed heavily. "Again I come here with my duffel bag and my school uniform. The irony."

Hitomi looked around, and walked to the middle of the road. She looked down one end, and then turned to the other. She spun around and stared at the deep forest that covered either side of the road. "This is just perfect," she spoke sarcastically. "I should have brought my lunch and have a picnic." With her hands on her hips, Hitomi didn't notice the shadow behind her, until it came up and grabbed her by the arm. "What?"

The shadowed figure spun her around, and in a flash, held a small dagger to her throat. "Wha'ss a pretty girly like ya doin' in dese parts? Eh?" the man spoke, his breath coming inches closer to Hitomi's face, his breath smelling of alcholhol. Hitomi tried to shrug away. "No no, ya're not gettin' away dat easily," said the man. His face was wrinkled and gruesome. He had scars over his face, and a crooked nose that seemed to have been broken. The man hardened his grip on Hitomi, making her cry out slightly from the pain. "Now, wha' am I gonna do wit' ya...First, wha'ss in da bag? Hm?" Unbeknownst to the two, they never heard the hove steps that came near them.

"How pathetic. I didn't know thieves attack defenseless girls these days." The thief spun him and Hitomi around, both of them facing the source of the voice. The comment had apparently belonged to a black hooded rider, on top of a stunning black stallion, a beautifully carved piece covering its dark eyes. The rider was cloaked under the black cape, and you could not see the rider's face under the darkness of the night and the hood. "Now, why don't you let the girl go, and maybe I'll spare your sorry excuse for a life."

The man threw Hitomi onto the floor and threw down his dagger, and grabbing the sword from his side. He pointed the sword towards the rider's neck. "Why don'ya stick yar nose outta ma business, and get da hell outta here before I get angry." He gave a toothy smirk. "Or should I jus' kill ya an' da girl right now? Dat's a pretty horse, and ya must be pretty rich to ow' one. Cough up yar money!"

The rider didn't move. "You pathetic little man, how dare you point your sword at me," spoke the rider, voice full of anger and venom. In flash of a second, the rider drew their own sword, and in moment, clashed the thief's sword away from his hand. The sword flew to the side of the road, then the rider pointed their samurai sword to his forehead. "You must have some nerve daring to point your weapon at a Shadow Rider." Hitomi saw the effect of those words, for the man shook in fear, his eyes bulging out. "Now go, and if I ever see you again, I won't be so generous."

The man shuddered. "D-dank ya ridar. Ya're so very gracious. Y-ya won' eva see me a-again." With that, the man neither grabbed his sword or dagger, and sprinted down the road opposite to the rider. The rider gazed at the direction the man ran towards, before placing their sword back in its place. The black rider than turned to Hitomi and mounted off the stallion. The rider approached Hitomi, removing their cape.

"What is a girl like you doing out here in the middle of nowhere?" Once the hooded cape was removed, Hitomi noticed that the rider was a woman. A very pretty woman with long, fire red hair, tide in a loose pony tail that fell to her hips, and strands of her bangs fell over her eyes. She was quite tall and had a pair of deep navy eyes. She wore a white, sleeveless dress shirt, and a leather top that covered her shirt, from her waist to chest, like a brassier. She had on black pants and matching boots, with a pair of black leather gloves that ran from the tips of her fingers to her elbow. With a smirk on her face, she bent down towards Hitomi, offering her a hand. "Are you alright?"

"I-I'm fine," Hitomi stuttered, taking the offered hand, and standing up from her fall. "Thank you for helping me. I thought he was going to kill me. If you hadn't come along when you did, I don't know what would have happened. Thanks a lot." The red headed girl gave a hardy laugh, her hand placed on the handle of her sword, that swung by her hips.

"It was no problem," she answered with a smirk. "I just couldn't simply walk by while he attacked you." She smiled, more like smirked, kindly down at Hitomi. "Besides, he wouldn't really have killed you. Just rob you." She extended her hand towards Hitomi. "A really bizarre, but interesting meeting. My name is Arianna Keel, but please, call me Aria. Everybody else does."

Hitomi smiled back at the gesture, taking Aria's hand and shaking it. "Nice to meet you Aria. My name is Hitomi. Hitomi Kanzaki," replied the emerald-eyed girl.

"Now Hitomi, what are you doing here by the side of the road, miles away from any populated area? You know, it's not wise to wander around here parts by yourself, especially without any protection." She patted the handle of her sword. "Were you heading for somewhere?"

"I was dropped here...a bit unexpectedly, and in fact, I'm really quite lost from where I was heading towards. I really have absolutely no idea where I am," replied Hitomi. "I was going to Fanelia. That's my destination. But I got a little side tracked when the guy attacked me." Aria let out an interesting smirk.

"Well, aren't you lucky. In fact, we are heading towards the same place," answered the red head. "I'm heading to Fanelia to deliver a message. It seems that our little meeting was a bit fated, don't you think?" Aria turned to her stallion, patting it on the nose. "I don't think Magnus would mind if our duo became a trio." She mounted the stallion, then offering Hitomi a hand. "Shall we?"

"Thank you!" spoke Hitomi graciously, a smile adorning her face . "I really appreciate your help." Hitomi mounted on to Magnus, sliding behind Aria. "How long do you think it'll take us to get to Fanelia?"

As Aria tugged Magnus into a direction, she spoke, "It shouldn't take us too long. It's not even a day's ride. We should get to Fanelia by morning." Suddenly, the two heard rustling within the dark forest. "Or maybe not," Aria muttered. "Hold on Hitomi, it's gonna be a little bumpy, so hold on tight. We'll be safe in a sec."

"Safe? We're not safe now?" But before the emerald-eyed girl could go on, Aria pulled on Magnus' reign and they set off quickly into the forest. Behind them, Hitomi could hear the sound of something rather mechanic hurrying towards them. She turned briefly to see a dark figure coming towards them. Riding upon Magnus, she and Aria raced through the forest, dodging the woods left and right. "Aria? What are we running from?"

"Stupid thing has been chasing me for two days. I'd thought it would have gave up or I had lost it, but apparently it doesn't give up so easily," said Aria, annoyance within her voice. "Don't worry Hitomi. You're in no danger." The two continue to rush through the forest on Magnus. The stallion was powerful as it was beautiful, and it raced quickly through the forest. Hitomi held on tight to Aria, and turning around, she saw the dark figure coming closer. Suddenly, in an instant, she recognized it. It was one of the dark demons from her dream, but in the far distance, it almost looked like one of Zaibach's old Guymelefs. "Is it still after us?"

"Yeah!" replied Hitomi. "And it's coming closer, and faster! What is it?" Hitomi let out a scream as the creature closed in on them. However, her description of it was only half-right. It did indeed look very similar to a demonic creature, black all over. But the creature looked even more like a Guymelef up close. It indeed looked like one of the old Guymelefs of Zaibach, however it was completed black, a shade like the color of space. It extended its hand, and liquid crim claws appeared, pointed at them. "It's going to shoot!" screamed Hitomi.

What happened next was extremely unexpected. Without a word, Aria halted Magnus, turning him around towards the black Guymelef. "Dammit! Running from the bloody thing is not going to get us anywehre," she spoke angrily. As the melef aimed its crim claw at them, shooting the claws towards them, Aria pulled off the leather glove on her right hand. With her hand out stretched, she pointed her hand at the on coming assault. Hitomi gazed with wide eyes as the imprint of a five-pointed star, the Pentacle, appeared on the back of Aria's hand, glowing a crimson red. "No more running!"

Hitomi stared with wide eyes as fire sprouted from her hand in a heated blaze that shot towards the on coming crim claw, assimilating them in moments, and commenced to burn the black Guymelef. In moments, the melef was simply black ashes on the forest ground. Aria dismounted from Magnus, and pulling on his reign, she took Hitomi and the stallion closer to the ashes. They stopped a few meters from the pile of black ash. Aria let go of Magnus' reign and pulled her black glove back on her hand. "Aria...What happened? What did you do to that...thing?"

"Destroyed it," she stated calmly. "If I didn't it would have killed me first, then went after you and Magnus. Stupid thing. They really could make it more intelligent. It's not like a conventional melef that has a pilot. These things are just a waste. Thinking it can go up against me." She smirked, approaching the ash and grabbing a hand full of it. The ash, in whist of smoke, transformed into a black hawk. Aria kept a tight hold on the hawk's legs while the bird tried desperately to get away. "Tell Master Lavin that if he wants me, then he himself will have to come and get me." Then she let the bird go, and it disappeared into the sky.[1]

"Who...Who are you?" questioned Hitomi, her voice held within it both shock and awe. Aria turned to Hitomi, a smirked on her face.

"I'm a Shadow Rider, part of the Fanelia council," replied the red head. "I was on a special assignment in the eastern continent. Those things have been chasing after me ever since I arrived in Durham, a region near Zaibach. What you saw me just do, I'm sure you can tell what it was. I was born with these powers." She placed her hands on her hips and smiled rather curiously at Hitomi. "Now that I told you who I am, will you like to explain your funny clothe, and why you want to go to Fanelia. Where are you from Hitomi?"

Hitomi gave a heavy sigh. "I'm from the Mystic Moon...That's my home. I want to go to Fanelia to warn Van. I've been having terrible visions, and they keep getting stronger. I know something is going to happen to him, and to Fanelia." Hitomi looked down, a saddened look upon her face.

"You've got to be kidding me..." Hitomi looked up to see Aria gawking at her with awe. "Do you seriously mean to tell me that you're the Seer of the Mystic Moon." Hitomi nodded. "You're really from the Earth?" Before Hitomi could try to comprehend why she said the Earth, Aria burst out laughing. "So you're the girl that Van keeps moping about!" She gave a hysterical laugh. "Oh my, this must be the biggest irony in the history of the universe. I was just talking to him about you just a while ago, and now," She gave a hearty laugh, waving her hand at Hitomi, "I meet you in the strangest possible situation. This is just too weird."

Aria covered her mouth to halt her giggling. "I'm sorry. I'm not normally like this." After she calmed down a bit, she smiled genuinely at Hitomi. "My, this is the biggest surprise. Well, I've heard a lot about you Hitomi. You're quite a renowned seer on Gaea. It is really quite a pleasure to meet you." Aria gave a sigh and looked up to the sky. "We really should get going. If we hurry now, we can get to Fanelia by noon." The navy eyed girl turned to Hitomi, smirking. "Don't worry. I promise I'll get you back to your lover."


_______________________________________________________
< p>
The cloaked figure exited from the forest and gazed at the beautiful valley that lay before them. The figure under the hood smiled a small smile. They walked to the edge of a cliff that fell before the country of Fanelia. Birds flew in the cloudless sky, and the morning sun was just beginning to rise from his sleep, hiding the moon with his light. The figure looked to the houses as the people began to come out of their homes. "Such a lovely day. So serene and peaceful. What a splendid country." The figure breathed in the fresh morning air. "So the girl is coming to Fanelia with Arianna. That will make it so much easier." Under the hood, the figure gave a light smile. The figure held out their hand, and appearing above the hand was a ball of translucent light. Within the ball of light was the image of Hitomi and Aria on Magnus, riding towards Fanelia. "So, dear Hitomi, we shall finally meet."


_______________________________________________________
< p>
By noontime, Aria and Hitomi had arrived by the Fanelian gates. The two had made good time, as Aria said. They only stopped by a small village to get some food, and made no other stops along the way. Aria said she didn't want to say long, just in case the black melefs were still chasing after her. As the two approached the gate, the soldier on the lookout gazed down at the two of them. "Hey! Who goes there?" he shouted down at the two of them.

Aria gazed up at the lookout. "Arianna Keel!" she replied. "I've returned from the eastern continent with important news for the King. Is the council in session?"

"Yes Mistress Keel!" answered the lookout. "The council has already started and they're waiting for you to arrive. I'll open the gates!" With that, the soldier left to open the gates. As the large door swung open, Aria tugged on Magnus' reigns, urging the stallion to follow into the city. When they entered the city, Hitomi was suddenly reminded of when she first arrived in Fanelia. All the people had waved to Aria, and seemed to know her very well. Many of the children had wanted rides on Magnus. They also gestured to Hitomi, whispering if she were the Seer from the Mystic Moon they had seen years before.

Once Magnus was tucked into the horse stalls, Hitomi followed Aria through the castle to the royal council. On their way up the stairs, Hitomi had told Aria about her vision, including seeing the same Pentacle on her hand in her vision. Aria suggested this would be even more important to the council than her news. "But do you really think I should go in with you?" questioned the blonde as the two approached the large doors that held the council room.

"C'mon, you're the Seer of the Mystic Moon. Everybody knows you from Austuria to Basram." Aria turned to Hitomi with a smirk. "They'll believe your word over mine any day. Besides, I'm sure Lord Van would love to see you." At the mention of that, a blush crept to Hitomi's cheeks. "And as for the Pentacle on my hand that you saw in your dream, I'd say I was one of the those people."

"You think so?" responded Hitomi. "How do you know that one of those four people in my vision was you?" Aria gave a soft sigh as they stopped meters away from the doors, her face portraying a monotonous gaze.

"I'm one of the only people on this planet to hold such a symbol that glows red. Me, and only me, has that symbol glowing red. However, there are others, the other three in your vision, that has the Pentacle written on their hand." Aria gave Hitomi a light smirk. "Well, time to tell the news to the council. Since the last time you were on Gaea, a lot of things have changed. There have been rumors of armies in the eastern continent being reformed. I was sent to find out if those armies are really regrouping. Bringing you with me back to Fanelia, and including that dream of yours, it'll be even more interesting to see how those old ding-bats react." She cringed and walked forth to opened the gates. "Screwed up old ass-holes…" she muttered angrily.

As Aria placed her hand of the doors, the image of the doors in Hitomi's dream flashed before her eyes. Suddenly, Hitomi let out a small cry as she sank to the floor, clutching her head in pain. The pounding was the same as when she was on Earth, but now it was stronger and stronger. Before her eyes, she saw those black Guymelefs that attacked her and Aria destroying a city. A city that oddly looked like Fanelia. The visions got more intense and the pounding refused to stop. Aria ran to Hitomi's side. "Hitomi? Are you alright?"

Hitomi whimpered in pain as the pounding strengthened with great magnitude. "It hurts..." she whispered. "It hurts so much." The pounding continued within her head, and the visions flashed before her eyes like wildfire. It was driving her insane. Unable to comprehend the immense pain that ran through her body, Hitomi let out a blood-curling scream that ran through the halls.


_______________________________________________________
< p>

[1]If anyone has ever read X/1999, the manga by CLAMP, then I'm sure they will be familiar with that scene. ^^ It was in the first volume of X/1999, Prelude, when Kamui grabbed the message thingy and it turned into a black bird....Kya! ^^; I love that scene.


Author's Note: Wow...I finished this in two days. A personal record. ^^ *smiles* I'm so happy I finished this so quickly, and even though the chapter was shorter than the last one, I think it was one of the best ones I did, but that will change soon when I do another few chapters. I think it was easier for me to write because of Aria. Her personality is just so simple, and really reflects some parts of my own personality. Aria's extremely sarcastic, as you will find out, like myself. Thanks for reading! Review please! Arigatou minna-san!

Jia Z.






© 2003 by Jia Z.