Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Crash and Burn ❯ Crash and Burn ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Crash and Burn

Author: Shinigami Lupin

Disclaimer: The lyrics to the song "Crash and Burn" do not belong to me. Neither do Weiss or Ran.

Summary: A short song fic between my RPG character Kali and the Weiss character Ran Fujimiya.

Dedication: To Kitty-chan for turning up my radio and making me listen to Savage Garden loud enough to blow out my eardrums. I think they're still bleeding. To Lily-chan for blasted being and all the days she kept me straight. To Jenn-chan for listening to me rant all the time that I do and for ranting to me on random things. To Micki-chan for scaring the heck out of me by swearing off all anime, meat and dairy products o.O I really don't know how you do it girl. To Nikki-chan for well I guess just being my friends and being a weirdo too. So thank you guys you are the best buddies a girl-who-wishes-she-were-a-guy has ever had.

Crash and Burn

Lyrics by Savage Garden

Story by Kalina Quantum

When you feel all alone

And the world has turned its back on you

Give me a moment please to tame your wild wild heart

I know you feel like the walls are closing in on you

It's hard to find relief and people can be so cold

When darkness is upon your door and you feel like you can't take anymore

Kali punched the wall. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she pulled back her fist. Had she been able to feel it, it would have been pure agony due to the small number of bones she'd broken in the act. In the wall was a hole the size of her fist and the plaster was further cracked around it for a least a foot every way. No one cared for her anymore. And it hurt.

Kali was angry with herself mostly, for letting herself get attached to easily. She should have learned the first time, the world moves on and turns on you. Humans were the most wretched creatures on the planet. They were the only race on Earth that would dare kill members of their own kind out of cold blood. Or stab them in the back to get up in the world. Humans were murders. They'd kill anything if it got them anywhere.

She was disgusted with humans and herself for bearing this fault. She was a killer, a murderer like the rest of humankind. She was destined to bring death to the world. What she would give to be anything else. Destruction she could handle, causing the death of someone so coldly was something she couldn't.

The destiny of man was to kill itself and she was determined to defy this. But destiny was so restraining. The more she struggled the more she got caught it in, destined to bring the world death and destruction. Nothing helped her; she just sank deeper and deeper into the darkness of death. It was getting to be too much. She frequently asked the Fates why was this alone her destiny. She never received an answer.

Let me be the one you call

If you jump I'll break your fall

Lift you up and fly away with you into the night

If you need to fall apart

I can mend a broken heart

If you need to crash then crash and burn

You're not alone

Ran watched the young woman that had been the most recent addition to his team of assassins code named Weiss. She had been so exuberant when she had started, the deaths she was causing never seeming to get through to her. Apparently things were catching up. She'd been more and more withdrawn over the past month.

Silver-violet eyes looked up at him, pleading him for something unreadable. Kali looked almost desperate for something. Ran found himself approaching the young girl - no woman - with concern.

"Kali? Are you alright?"

"DAMNIT! DOES IT LOOK LIKE I'M ALRIGHT?! I'M FRIGGIN' PEACHY-KEEN!" Kali closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, Ran. I shouldn't have blown up at you. I feel like I'm fighting a useless battle, the more I fight the worse the situation gets."

Ran studied her for a moment. "Would you like to share? Sometimes it helps to get it off your shoulders."

"Not now… I-I don't think I could handle it."

Ran nodded solemnly. "Maybe later. Let me know when you want to talk."

Kali smiled gently. "Will do, Boss."

Ran turned around and began to walk away.

"Ran?" Ran turned towards her. "Thank you. Your concern means a lot to me."

Ran smiled. "You're welcome, Kali."

When you feel all alone

And a loyal friend is hard to find

You're caught in a one-way street

With the monsters in your head

When hopes and dreams are far away and

You feel like you can't face the day

Kali stared at her hand, the pain beginning to seep through her anguish. Why was she alone in this? She hated to make close friends because she'd moved around a lot, from her parents to an uncle or aunt every few years. The few friends she'd grown close to had died. Death followed her like a plague and she hated it.

She'd been raised with love and her parents understood her unique need for individuality at a young age. She'd moved willingly around from relative to relative, then from country to country, experiencing the world when she was 14. She'd made friends in each country, but none were very close. Unlike Umi. Umi had become like a sister, doing everything together, sharing odd inside jokes - until her fiancé's brother killed both her and her fiancé.

After then people expected her to act like the same old Kali, ever cheerful and somewhat insane. They expected her to cope with it the same way she coped with everything else, with a laugh. She'd never wanted people to know her weakness and thus erected a mask. The mask became such a part of her that she'd gotten all caught up in its up keeping and forgotten its existence. It had gotten to be so bad that she seemed to have two distinct personalities.

Now all she hoped to do was survive, but that seemed distinctly impossible. She bore the weight of the survival of man on her shoulders.

Let me be the one you call

If you jump I'll break your fall

Lift you up and fly away with you into the night

If you need to fall apart

I can mend a broken heart

If you need to crash then crash and burn

You're not alone

Ran was so engrossed in his book that he almost missed the light knocking on his door and the small, almost childlike voice that called his name. Orchid colored eyes left his book and settled on the intruder.

"Come in, Kali. What do you want?"

Kali walked in and approached her leader cautiously. "Ran? I-I think I'm ready."

Ran raised his eyebrows. Kali took this as a sign to proceed and told him everything. About her family, her friends, her constant moving, and Umi. Ran just sat there in his chair as she revealed everything about her problem. He was amazed at the pain she kept bottled in and was surprised she'd managed this far.

"Kali, you don't have to bear this alone. I'm willing to help you through this. I might not be able to save humankind like you want to, but we can only try."

Kali looked at him and a genuine smile crept up on her face. Her bandaged hand rested upon his and she leaned in and placed a kiss tenderly on his cheek. "We can only try," she echoed.

'Cause there has always been heartache and pain

And when it's over you'll breathe again

You'll breathe again

Kali looked deeply into Ran's orchid eyes. "Thank you for catching me when I crashed, you can always talk to me too."

When you feel all alone

And the world has turned its back on you

Give me a moment please

To tame your wild wild heart

(chorus X4...until fade)

Finis.

AN: O.O I finally finished a story…. Mein gott! *faints*.

AN 2: I came up with this plot bunny after my buddy Neko-chan decided to crank up the volume on my car stereo. The blasted thing holds six cds and being the sadistic girl she is, had Savage Garden: Affirmation, Staind: Break the Cycle, and Malice Mizer: Requiem in. Needless to say the bass was cranked up and I jumped every-freaking-time she selected Staind. She seemed to find that funny. All this happened on the way to Pandora's (short for Pandora's Cube - it's our semi-local anime rental place… it's only a 30 to 45 minute drive via the Beltway). The day before I had picked up the first volume of Weiss Kreuz Gluhen. You should have seen my reaction - I literally dropped everything and grabbed it. I feel kind of sorry for those Gundam Seed DVD cases… ^--^