Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction / Flame Of Recca Fan Fiction / Burn Up W Fan Fiction ❯ Onimusha - Legacy ❯ Demon Siege ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Onimusha - Legacy
 
Disclaimers: See the previous chapter.
Author's Notes: Sorry about the wait, it was a case of writers block and other commitments. Don't worry, I'm not going to abandon this fic. Here's the second chapter.
 
Chapter 2 -Demon Siege
 
Rio walked down the street, still looking at the gauntlet the `Oni' gave her, his words still in her mind.
 
“Use the gauntlet and gain victory over our enemy! Take their souls, defeat the Genma!”
 
The events before got her thinking about what possible causes this could lead to. (Those things I ran into before were definitely not human and they were not androids of any kind.) Rio thought to herself seriously. (The `genma' are behind these murders, but what is really going on here? What's the point?)
 
“Oh well…I'm sure Maki can figure out something when I tell her…maybe…” Rio implied, hoping the commander of Warrior can help piece all this together. If there's one person Rio knows who can handle situations that required brains, the first person she knew she would go to would be Maki.
 
It was then during her trek to Police Town she heard her communicator beep, Rio smiled and muttered. “Guess that must be her right now.” She then went into an alley and secretly responded. “Hey, Maki!”
 
“Rio, what happened? Where are you?” Maki's voice sounded of relief as soon she confirmed her friend was alright. “Maya told us about some creatures that attacked you two and you got separated. Are you alright?”
 
“Yeah…I'm okay, still in one piece. I'm on my way back to Police Town right now.”
 
“What a relief. I thought something serious happened to you. Maya and everyone else were worried.”
 
“Aw, come on. You know it will take a lot to take me down for the count.” Rio said before stopping to tell her about what happened before. “Um, listen, Maki. I don't know how to put this, but I'm sure you're going love what I'm going to tell you.”
 
She then explained what happened before, from the encounter with the genma, her meeting with Andariel and finishes it by including the part about the Oni gauntlet. She can easily tell by Maki's reaction on how surprised and bewildered they are to hear about this, but they have no choice but to believe it for the time being.
 
“And I guess that's just about it.” Rio said, ending her explanation. “What do you make of it?”
 
“Well, to say that we both have to go along with what these Oni wants with you. This could be an advantage for the case.” Maki said. “Okay Rio, just head back as quickly as you can, okay? We will take about the rest of this with everyone else.”
 
Rio sighed “Okay…see you in a few.”
 
When the comm. unit was switched off, Rio continued her walk towards Police Town. Once again, she missed lunch and went on her way with a very loud groan in her stomach.
 
“I can't believe that I totally forgot lunch again…and I really wanted to eat, I doubt I could have kept it in, no thanks to that psycho cross dresser from before. She owes me one.” Before long, Rio decided to take a shortcut, going through down an alley and saw some steps she swore was not there before. Out of curiosity, she decided to investigate cautiously deeper into the descending stairway.
 
To her surprise, Rio saw what looked like a shrine of ancient Japanese origin and design. Getting closer, she then felt the gauntlet resonate as it got closer to an idol which had an open slot around its chest area.
 
“Huh? The gauntlet's reacting to this thing?” Rio asked in bewilderment. “I wonder what will if I…?”
 
Rio bravely inserted her right arm which the gauntlet was equipped with into the slot of the shrine's idol, and suddenly, the gauntlet was covered in a light as a glow emerged from the idol. Before she knew what was happening, Rio was now wielding another pair of tonfa's, except they had a green glow and had kanji's marked around them
 
“I wonder….could these be part of the Oni's power as well?” Rio said to herself, taking the tonfa's into her hands. “Guess I could try them out here…”
 
Taking a few swings of the tonfas, she noticed they moved more lethal and quicker than the ones she had for WARRIOR missions. They even emitted small, wind cutting blows every time she swung them. She was impressed with her new arsenal.
 
“Not bad at all…” Rio said, approving of the weapons' performance. After taking the weapons as her own, she ascended upstairs, but before she can think to remember the place where she got her new tonfas, the stairs she came out from suddenly disappeared behind her.
 
“That's just weird….the Oni are surely a bunch of strange folks.” Rio sighed. “No time to stay around and think about it too much…I got to get back to Police Town. No sense keeping Maki waiting…”
 
**
 
Later that day as Rio have returned to Police Town, Maki gathered the rest of Team WARRIOR to hear Rio's story about her encounter with the Oni and the Genma. Everyone of them listened hard as she told them everything, which surely surprised and amazed everyone who heard what has happened.
 
“That's quite a tale, Rio. It's hard to believe that you were centered as the one in charge with such a weapon.” WARRIOR's computer hacker, Lilica Ebett spoke, looking at Rio's gauntlet in amazement.
 
“I envy you, Rio. This seems quite a breakthrough with things that we thought would have never existed.” Nanvel Candlestick, the brilliant tech head and inventor for the group has her say.
 
“Yeah, my Rio is something to be proud of, isn't she?” Yuji Naruo, WARRIOR's perverse pilot, grinned lecherously, filming Rio at the same time with the gauntlet still equipped. Rio glared at him and made him step off a bit, seeing the dangerous look on her face.
 
“Well, that's it.” Rio said with a shrug. “And just before I got here, I ended up getting these babies because of this weird thing.” She showed everyone the new tonfas she got, which made everyone gasp in awe.
 
“Interesting…” Maki said, looking thoughtful. She then came to a decision. “Alright, then…I believe you Rio. But we have to make sure that gauntlet of yours won't do anything to endanger your own life. So, Nanvel, take a look at the gauntlet, will you?”
 
“Sure thing, Maki. I'll be happy to.” Nanvel smiled as Rio voluntarily took off the gauntlet and handed it to Nanvel, who went into her workshop to begin analysis.
 
**
 
After the analysis, Nanvel and Lilica announced their findings while Rio put the gauntlet back on.
 
“Well, we couldn't determine anything apart from the fact it's made of unknown metals and that crystal in it, we can't determine what it is either.” Nanvel said with a shrug. “It's not modern technology, but it's certainly not man-made either. I've never seen anything like this before. But since the Oni trusted you with this, Rio, it's safe to assume that it's not harmful in anyway, so it's safe.”
 
“Just why are these Oni helping us?” Lilica asked.
 
“I have no idea…they told me about the gauntlet and the Genma, but that's it so far.” Rio replied.
 
“It's reasonable to assume they might contact you again, Rio.” Maki conjectured. “For now, they're helping us.”
 
“Why don't they fight these Genma themselves?” asked Maya.
 
“Maybe there's a reason they CAN'T fight them directly.” Maki said. After a moment of silence among each of WARRIOR's members, Lilica broke the silence when she was accessing the central control for Police Town's communications via patrol radio.
 
“Hey, guys! Listen to this!” Lilica called and turned on a radio. It was a transmission from another police unit.
 
“Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! This is Officer Takigawa from the….requesting immediate backup! Come in anybody! Requesting immediate assistance! Anyone please!”
 
A dispatcher came up from another end. “What is your situation?”
 
“Oh, thank heavens!” Takigawa shouted. “We were ambushed! We tried to defend the civilians…we're at an apartment building!”
 
“What are you talking about? Who attacked you? Terrorists?”
 
“NO!” Takigawa responded in a tone of panic. “Those things came out of nowhere and killed everyone!”
 
“WHO came out of nowhere?”
 
“I don't know! All I know they're strange creatures…the Captain's dead…everyone's dead…” Takigawa trailed off before the pitch in his voice became higher in panic. “Oh no…some of them are here…”
 
The sound of machine gun fire replaced the rest of the speech from Takigawa's end, as the only other thing that could be heard was a scream of “Oh God!!!!!!!!” Takigawa's agonised screams could be heard as static then took over the radio. Maki sternly looked at Rio and Maya and decided to dispatch them at once without any hesitation.
 
“Get over there at once!” Maki shouted, before Rio and Maya were even out the door. “We'll be ready to back you up!”
 
Rio nodded in silence as she and her partner left. Looking at the gauntlet once more, she began to think to herself.
 
(Those genma must be at it again…time to put this new hardware I got earlier to the test.) She thought.
 
**
 
Team WARRIOR hurried to the apartment building where Takigawa's call came from. The first thing they saw was the police units falling back and police cars on fire. It looked something close to a real disaster movie scene.
 
Already wearing their WARRIOR outfits, Rio and Maya went in first to scout out the apartment. Soon after, they heard Maki on the comm.
 
“Remember you two, your first priority is to find any survivors and get them out of there alive.” Maki commanded sternly. “In the event something goes out of hand, Yuji is set to pick you up for evacuation.”
 
“Okay, I got it!” Rio confirmed, while readying her new tonfars. She could barely wait to test them and the gauntlet out on her new enemies. `There's a good chance that Andariel might show up too…it will be payback time when I see her!'
 
“Roger that Maki!” Maya said, taking off the safety for her assault rifle.
 
They started on the first floor and looked thoroughly through one room after another. The only thing they saw was either nothing or saw dead, mutilated bodies scattered across some of the rooms and in the corridors. It was a grisly sight for the two WARRIOR members to experience.
 
“Damn…it's a slaughter house down here.” Rio spoke through the open channel of her comm. Unit to her boss. “Maki, we've yet to find any survivors, should we keep going?”
 
“For the moment, we have to make sure that no civilians have been part of the murders tonight, though it is rather inevitable…” Maki replied. “I understand, keep looking and please watch yourselves out there…”
 
“Roger that. Oh and Maki?” Rio cut in before she finished.
 
“Yes?”
 
“What were those cops doing here anyway?” Rio asked out of curiosity.
 
“Yeah, Takigawa did mention an `ambush' and `they came out of nowhere'…surely they must have been here for some other reason.” Maya offered her answer.
 
“It's unclear at the moment…all I know is that they were supposed arrest multiple suspects on a certain case they have been working on, but in what I'm still trying to ascertain.” Maki replied.
 
(Something's definitely up around here…and it's not just the dead bodies either.) Rio thought to herself as she replied to Maki. “Fine then…we're continuing the search for survivors. We're moving onto the third floor now and-“
 
Before she finished, she was cut off as ebony skinned, scaly genma attacked her suddenly, but with a quick parry of one the new tonfa she got before, the demon's blade was deflected in time. Seeing she created an opening, Rio then charged the genma and struck it with a lethal blow across its chest with her tonfa. As the genma fell, Rio saw the tonfa's hilt suddenly had a curved hilt. She held the weapon and struck it into the genma's body with the bladed edge as she killed it on the spot. The genma's corpse decomposed into nothing before her eyes, leaving red, floating apparitions that flowed out of the genma's corpse.
 
“Is that…the genma's soul?” Rio asked herself. Then Rio remembered what she was told what to do with the gauntlet as it gauntlet resonated with the glowing red and white orbs and started to suck them into it. Rio looked on in shock, but now understood the gauntlet's purpose.
 
“I see…this takes their souls and it becomes part of my arsenal, is that it?” Rio nodded her head. “That wasn't so hard…with this, these guys are nothing now!”
 
Maya, who was watching the episode with Rio, was in shock to see what was happening before her.
 
“Wow, that was so amazing, Rio!” she chirped. “You actually took down one of those uglies!”
 
“It was nothing special. But we have to be on the look out for anymore of them…” Rio said, and before she knew it, a trio of genma of the same kind appeared to avenge their comrade.
 
“Let's say we make short work of these genma!” Maya said, firing at them. Rio nodded and began to rush the genma with her tonfa attacks, while creating gusts of wind that sucked the genma into the bladed sections of Rio's tonfas. She began to take in the souls of the fallen demons into her gauntlet. As Rio looked as the gauntlet was building up power from storing the demon's souls, she noticed the gauntlet had several, yet smaller circular orbs, two of them already full with the demon's souls.
 
“I wonder what happens when all five are…?” Before Rio finished, she looked around and saw Maya, who was still busy taking care of her enemies, she noticed a crack in the wall. Just then, a genma attacked and struck Maya from behind. Rio immediately went to her comrade's aid, but not before striking down the genma once more before it attempted to go for the final blow on Maya..
 
“Maya!” yelled Rio, holding Maya up. “Are you alright?”
 
“It's not that…bad.” Grunted Maya, as Rio looked at the wound she just got.
 
“Nothing serious, but we can't just leave it unattended. Come on…we're getting out of here now.” Rio said, heaving the wounded Maya on her shoulder. Rio then looked at the crack in the wall once more.
 
“Let's go through here, we should find a way to bust out of there.” Rio said, as they entered through the crack, but to both their surprises, they found a strange looking shrine, one almost similar from the one Rio found before in the city, but this one had a pair of twin dragons instead. Instantly, Rio's gauntlet started to glow once more.
 
“Again? What could it be this time?” Rio said as without a choice, she put her hand into the dragons and suddenly she wielded two tonfas, but there was something different about them. Before Rio could get to try them out, other Genma approached suddenly. Rio raised her arm and created a gust of wind from her tonfas to blow the genma away.
 
“What the hell!” Maya shouted but grimaced in pain right afterwards. Rio held onto her friend as she saw this.
 
“Maya, are you alright?” Rio asked.
 
“Yeah, I'm fine.” Maya grunted in pain.
 
“Maki, do you read me?” Rio said to her comm. Unit to Maki's channel.
 
“Rio! I was about to call in! There are dozens of those things inside and they're coming at your positions! I'm sending Yuji to get you out of there! Meet him at the roof for an airborne escape route!” Maki replied.
 
“Listen up, Maki! Maya has just been wounded, so I can't get her to the roof!” Rio exclaimed.
 
“Well, you'll just have to get her to a nearby window, so we'll pick you two up there.”
 
“Okay, Maki. I got it!” Rio said, turning off her radio and taking Maya with her out of that area and went upstairs. They headed to the third floor balcony where the helicopter for Team WARRIOR was hovering over the building, waiting for Rio and Maya.
 
“I'm lowering a winch down, grab onto it!” said Yuji over the radio.
 
“Maya, you get on first!” Rio said, letting Maya get on board first and looking out for any more genma that would come. After seeing the coast was clear, it was Rio's turn to climb up the winch to the helicopter which they flew to safety. The top priority was getting Maya treated for her wound and rounding up more clues surrounding what just took place.
 
**
 
Back at Police Town the next day, Team WARRIOR was discussing the events of yesterday.
 
“How's Maya?” asked Lilica.
 
“The doctor says she'll be fine…she'll be out by tomorrow.” Nanvel said with a light smile.
 
Everyone who heard this sounded relieved and then Maki sighed.
 
“I'm sorry, everyone…I should have anticipated this.” Maki confessed. “It was obvious what they were doing…”
 
“What do you mean Maki?” asked Rio.
 
“Well for one thing, why did they make themselves so obvious? It was an attempt to lure the police in.” Maki replied.
 
“Are you saying it was a trap!?” Yuji asked.
 
“It could very well be.”
 
Everyone in the room was stunned by the notion.
 
“Yes, perhaps they wanted to know how equipped we are to stand up to them and their operations.” Maki continued. “These genma must be testing us for something big that's in store for the city soon.”
 
“I'm starting to hate the looks of this, Maki.” Rio said seriously. “If this goes on, this city's going to be in more danger than what happened with the black diamond case. These genma must mean business.”
 
“I agree with you, Rio. We'd better approach this more closely more than ever.” Maki said. “The whole of Neo Tokyo is now under the danger of the genma, and we have to find out now why this is the case.”
 
`I wonder if the Oni knows exactly why these things are happening? Those guys have some long deserving answers for me…' Rio thought to herself. `Think it's time I do some investigating myself into this and find some answers.'
 
TBC