Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Angels of the Assassins ❯ Tension Rising ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Ryoko, Jelmerie, Yuki and Omi stared at the picture, trying to figure things out.

“Why do you think Camellia would do that?” Ryoko asked, looking at Yuki and Jelmerie.
“You know that girl. She looks as innocent as can be but deep inside, she’s as mischievous as you two!” Yuki snickered.
“Shaddup!!!”
“Hey, what’s that all about?” Yoji said, walking near to them.
“What the hell are you doing here?!?!?!” the four shouted.
“I was knocking but none of you opened the door. So I decided to open the door myself. What’s that you’re looking at?”
“That’s nothing. Hey, we need to go!” Ryoko said, pushing Yoji to the door.
“Maybe your looking at a prohibited site…” they heard Yoji say.
“Bakeru!!!” Ryoko shot back.
“I just want to tell all of you, we have a mission.” Yoji said.
***************************************************************** *******
“One question, where is Aya-chan?” Ryoko asked.
“Inside a Kritiker safehouse. We’ve been bringing her there.” Birman replied.
“So, what’s it for tonight?”
“Heard of the successive cases of juveniles delinquencies around the city?”
“Yeah. A group of first year students broke into a shop and had a shooting spree. Same’s with a boy though he did it inside the classroom.” Omi said.
“So, what’s the deal about it?”
“We’ve found the syndicate behind it. They victimize young people who are psychologically weak or depressed, put them under therapy and after some time, their patients end up crazy.”
“Hey, that’s just like a mission we had before.” Omi said.
“Yes, but then we know the target. Now, we are still in the dark about who’s the mastermind. We only know of the doctors doing the experiment, but not the one behind it.”
“Then why donn’t you just catch and torture them?” Ryoko suggested.
“We have information that they use repressed memories of the patients and try to manipulate them. They are aiming to make soldiers that are devoid of feeling and sanity, but with the current result, it’s evident they still can’t master their craft. We need to stop them before they do” Manx said.
“We need some of you to act as “volunteers” for their project.” Birman announced.
“What for?”
“For us to find out their mastermind and kill everyone.” Birman said matter-of-factly.
“Isn’t that your job?” Yoji asked, with raised brows.
“I’ll do it.” Ryoko said almost automatically.
“No.” Yoji shot back.
“Omi, Yuki, Ryoko. You’ll go undercover.” Manx said.
“What?!?! Why?” Yoji spat.
“Given their backgrounds, they are suitable.” The woman answered.
“That’s just it. They might not take it and break down just like the others!” Ken argued.
“Then, let’s leave it to the three. Do you want to do this mission?”
“Yes.” Ryoko said enthusiastically.
“Youthful arrogance.” Yoji muttered.
“Omi, Yuki?” Omi noded.
“I will.” Yuki said, breaking her glaring contest with Ran.
“Well then, we’re going to process this as soon as possible. We need to get a slot for you three.”
********************************************************* ***************
After Manx and Birman left, conflicts about their mission started to rise.

“What the hell were you thinking jumping into that dangerous mission?!?!?! Are you out of your stupid mind?!?!?” Yoji shouted.
“What?! You’ve heard Manx and Birman. We’re suitable subjects.”
“Have you heard Ken? You might end up a psycho!” he shot back.
“Whatever! The mission’s been given, we can’t do anything about it” Ryoko said.
“Hey, be careful with that mission, I don’t want to have an insane kitten to be my roommate.” Jelmerie smiled.
“Don’t worry, if I go insane, I don’t want to have a sane roommate either. Got what I mean Jel?” he grinned.
“Just try killing me Bombay…”
“If anyone wants a row about this, let’s do it tomorrow. I’m too tired to argue with anyone today.” Yuki said aloud, leaving the others behind
**************************************************************** ********
Two days after the declaration of their mission, and after numerous fights, Manx and Birman sent a message to the three “subjects” telling them of their meeting with their “therapist”.

“They’ll be expecting you tonight at six. Birman will escort you there, posing as your guardian.” She instructed the three.
“Will anything happen after that session?” Yuki asked.
“Yes. But it all depends on how you react to what they’ll do.”
“So, it really is dangerous.” Omi said.
“Yes. More dangerous than any mission because the price here may not be your life but your sanity.”
“Any questions?” when none answered, Manx stood up from the couch and walked to the stairs.

All eyes were on the three the moment they had climbed up the stairs. The three ignored the silent questions the eyes of the others tried to throw on them but in the end, Aya-chan broke the tension.

“So, what did she say?”
“Our mission starts tonight.” Omi answered.
************************************************************* ***********
“Are you sure, they are going to be alright? You’re sending them straight to a bunch of weird people…” Yoji asked Manx as they watched Birman’s car drove away.
“Stop fussing.” Came the answer.
“How can I stop fussing when there’s a risk that those three will either kill us after that session or end up in a mental hospital? Can’t you find other people to do that job?” Manx glared at him.
“We wouldn’t have given the mission to them if we had other agents to watch the target’s location and movements.” She started to walk inside the shop.
“What are possible side effects of that therapy?” Ran asked.
“It depends on how they will react to whatever those people will do.”
“I want the truth Manx.” He said, everyone now turned on the two of them.
“Okay. After the first session, there are minimal effects like absent-mindedness or the like, but after that, they will get to be temperamental and in turn will lead to being violent. But there is more to know…” Ran started to glare at her.
“Since they will only be under the program for about two to three sessions, the possibility of losing the right state of mind is greater. And if they cannot anymore bear the stimulus, it may result to temporary or permanent regression.”
**************************************************** ********************
Birman, together with the three managed to get into the house and wait for their turn. The people inside the small sitting room were mostly of their age and obviously came from different walks of life. When an attendant brought a group of people in, Birman walked to her and asked a few questions. Afterwards, she went back to heir place to relate what she had learned.

“They have agents roaming around the city looking for potential targets. Some of the people here were encouraged by those agents to go here to have a therapy. While others learned it from different chatrooms.”
“Are there so many depressed people nowadays?” Omi asked, looking around the room.
“Why, don’t the stress and pains of being a you-know-what take its toll on you?”
“Not to mention the everyday hustle and bustle of our lives, and of course, school. I’m not at all surprised to see the people here.” Yuki chimed in.
“That’s it Yuki, your true color is starting to show. I didn’t know you were one of them too.” Ryoko teased.
“Shut up or I’ll kill you.” The two started to giggle.
“Quit it you three, look depressed for goodness’ sake, we can’t afford to blow our cover!” Briman whispered as she saw an attendant look at their direction.

Time passed and their turn soon came. The three were led out of the sitting room and were shown into separate rooms where they will be treated.

“Good day, please be comfortable here.” The lady said, motioning Omi to the recliner beside her.
“Thanks.” Omi politely replied
“So, you want to rid yourself of all your burdens?”
“Er, yeah.” Yuki answered, shifting in her seat.
“Nervous? Don’t worry, after this you’ll feel new again. So, shall we start?”
********************************************************* ***************
“Onii-chan, they’re here.” Aya-chan reported.

Ran went out of the door followed by his sister and waited for the three to arrive. Aya-chan, heard three other doors open and without looking at the direction knew who just came out of their rooms.

“Looks like we’re all looking out our windows tonight.” Jelmerie grinned.
“Isn’t it obvious?” Aya-chan grinned back.

The three soon came into view with Birman was walking behind them. The three looked tired and their eyes almost glazed and sleepy. Jelmerie, Yoji and Ken started to walk nearer to the approaching three but it seems that the three were walking slowly and are not aware of their surroundings. Birman steered Yuki away from hitting the wall that she did not notice Ryoko sway and fall down the floor. Ken immediately ran to catch her until Yoji came and carried the unconscious girl to their apartment followed by Birman. Meanwhile Ran walked to his cousin and Jelmerie started to help Omi walk.

“Yuki.” He said as the girl’s eyes started to close.
“She’ll be out like Ryo soon.” Aya-chan said.

Ran looked at her for a moment, and then raised his hand that landed with a sharp sound on the girl’s face, the others gaped at him.

“Onii-chan!” Aya-chan gasped.
“Yuki.” He repeated, ignoring his sister.
“R-ran?” the other nodded.
“We’re here already?” She asked.
“And why does half of my face hurt?” she continued and looked at Aya-chan who silently gestured what Ran did.
“Why the hell did you do that Ran Fuijimiya?”
“To wake your spirit up.” He smiled.
“Uhm, does that apply to this one too?” Jelmerie chimed in.
“I’m afraid so.” Birman answered, walking towards them.
“Sorry but I can’t do it.” Jelmerie said.
“Don’t look at me like that.” Ken said.
“Go on, it will only be for a second.” Aya-chan said.

Jelmerie looked at Omi and muttered a quick apology and struck him. Omi groggily shook his head and looked at the others with puzzled eyes.

“Hey, the session’s finished already?” Yuki nodded.
“Half of your face’s swelling.” He pointed out with a muffled laugh.
“And yours will too.” She replied, pinching the side that Jelmerie slapped.
“Hey, what… who?”
“Just be glad I did it Bombay.” Jelmerie said, walking towards their apartment.
************************************************************ ************
Ryoko went to school as usual but her thoughts would fly off to a distant memory. She missed two questions in their quiz with her not knowing why. Her day went on like this, once she happened to meet Omi along the corridors and did not notice the smile the boy gave her. Her momentary retrogressions hit her hard while she was reviewing for a major quiz at a friend’s house.

“Ryoko, he wake up.” She heard her friend say.
“What?” she asked.
“I said wake up. Were you up all night? I saw you sleeping during our last lesson. Good thing we’re just watching a film and not discussing a lesson, or else, our teacher would’ve had you thrown out of the room.” Ryoko flinched.
“Yeah, yeah, whatever.” She said, trying to focus on the book in front of her.
“Kira…” she muttered.
“What?”
“What?” she replied.
“You just said something.”
“I did?” her classmate looked at her suspiciously.
“Stop fooling around Ryo.” She said.
“I swear I didn’t say anything!” her classmate just rolled her eyes and returned to answering the questions on her book. Ryoko returned to hers, staring blankly at the page.
***************************************************************** *******
Jelmerie grinned as she at last finished writing a report. After spending the whole afternoon buried in different textbooks, she decided to take a break. Going out from her room, she saw Omi in sitting in front of his computer. Curious, she slowly walked behind Omi’s chair to take a look at what the boy’s looking at.

“Omi!!!!” Jelmerie called.
“H-huh?!?” he asked, snapping out from his blank thoughts.
“Do I still have to tell you that your character died again, for the third time?” Jelmerie said, pointing to the game over message on the PC monitor.
“Hey, I didn’t know that.” He said.

Jelmerie glanced at him from time to time as he was playing the game again, afraid that he might not be himself again, but after an hour, she finally gave up and retired to her room, leaving the boy still playing.
************************************************************** **********
“Not out on a date?” Yuki grinned, seeing her roommate in front of the tv.
“And you?” he shot back.
“What’s on tv, soccer game?” she asked, holding a mug of cold water. The brunette shook his head.
“Nope, just surfing the channels…” he said, getting up.

He walked to the kitchen and started to open some cupboards and the fridge when a loud crash. Running back, he saw the broken remains of the mug scattered on the floor while Yuki stood like a stone, staring at the television with terrified eyes. Glancing at the commercial about a primetime program, he wondered what the girl had seen. He shook her until she made a reaction.

“Hey, stop it…” she complained.
“What happened to you?”
“What?” the other pointed to the broken mug on the floor.
“Did I break it? Er, sorry… I’ll clean it up.”
************************************************************ ************
The next day, they received another call from Birman reminding them of their next session. The three waited with the others in the flower shop until Birman and Manx arrive. The three stood up from their seats and unceremoniously went into the car. The session lasted longer than their first but the three walked back to their apartments without help and all alert.

“So, how’d it go?” Yoj asked.
“Great!” Ryoko said.
“You sure all parts of your body are intact?” Jelmerie joked.
“Yeah sure.” Yuki grinned.
“Why do you keep looking at them like that?” Aya-chan saked her brother when they finally went into their apartment.
“It’s getting worse.” He answered.
“What do you mean?”
“If they don’t quit going there soon, they’ll be like those kids who went out of their minds.
**************************************************************** ********
Meanhwile, in the house where the therapies were made, a man walked in the sitting room where the three doctors were.

“So, how’s the project going?” he asked.
“Good. There are more patients coming in by the day and they respond to our tests beautifully.” One of the doctors said.
“Are you training some of the kids yet?”
“We had a test earlier. Most of the kids do not know how to fight seriously…”
“Save for three.” The doctor treating Omi said.
“Really?”
“They are perfect. With incidents they try to hide or to run away from, we can easily manipulate their mind.”
“They fight really well, even under our influence, they still do great. We believe we are making an improvement with them.”
“Good. I want to meet those three and see what they can do.”
“There’s just one problem though, they come here with their guardian….”
“That is easy to take care of. When will be their next session?”
“Two days from now.”
“Change it. I want to meet them tomorrow. Make the necessary arrangements for that.”
********************************************************** **************
Birman and Manx stood away from the shop as there are still a crowd blocking their way and waited until the last of them disappeared. And when they did, they proceeded inside the shop to the surprise of everyone.

“What?” Yoji asked.
“There’s a problem. The targets called me and moved the three’s session tonight. We think they’re planning somethying.” Birman started.
“Will you go?” Aya-chan asked.
“They might suspect something if we don’t. But no one’s going there until there is someone here that is against that.” She declared.
“Can’t you really remember what happened to you last night?” Manx asked the three who just shook their heads.
“So, who’s against it?” But before anyone could protest, Ryoko spoke
“We must go. I mean, they’re not total bums who would believe an alibi and besides, they might just come and get us to that fake address you’ve given. We’re taking the greater risk if we don’t go.” Yoji threw dagger looks at her.
“And for safety’s sake, why don’t we use tracking devices in case something goes wrong? And, we need to finish this mission soon.” Yuki added.
“We can handle it.” Omi smiled.
“So, what time?” Yuki asked.
“The same. Six o’clock.” Birman answered, looking at the others.
*************************************************************** *********
The rest stayed at the shop, closely monitoring the whereabouts of their other members. Nothing interesting happened for another two hours until Aya-chan noticed something.

“Three of them are moving away, but one isn’t…” she said.
“What?” Jelmerie asked.
“They’re going somewhere and Birman isn’t doing a thing. They just passed her…”
“Onii-chan, we’re you going?” Aya-chan asked as her brother walked away from the group.
“I think they’re being taken to another place. The rate at which they’re moving can’t be done by a pair of feet.” Jelmerie pointed out.
“But Birman’s left inside.” Aya-chan continued
“Ryoko!” Yoji said.
“Do you think they got them?”
********************************************************** **************
“So, they’re the ones you were talking about?”
“Yes.”
“They seem too young to know how to fight, are you sure they can do it?”
“Then, let’s see…”
***************************************************** *******************
“This is not training anymore, I agree with your brother that you should’ve stayed.” Jelmerie said.
“I know that Jel but I want to do something.” She insisted.
“But…”
“Jelmerie, Aya, go to Birman is and find out what happened. Then just call us.” Ran said.
“I want to go with you…” she protested.
“It’s too dangerous. Just do as I say.”
“Come on, let’s do as he say. I have a plan.” Jelmerie whispered.
************************************************************ ************
Omi, Yuki and Rytoko were taken into a huge room that was divided into three. Cameras were set up strategically inside so that others can see what’s happening inside.

“Send in the dummies. We’re going to put them to the test.” The man said via audio. Soon, men entered the room where the three stood.
**************************************************************** ********
“Birman, wake up.” Jelemrie said.
“Huh? What happened? Where Omi and the others?” She asked.
“They were taken away to some place.” Jelmerie replied.
“You were drugged.” Aya-chan said pointing to the shattered glass of juice on the floor.
“Aya, what’re you doing here? You’re not supposed to be coming with them.”
“Well, I’m still part of the group.”
********************************************************* ***************
“They’re inside.” Ken said when they stopped before a huge house.
“Are you sure?” Yoji asked.

The other didn’t had the time to answer for they were surprised to see Ran had jumped off to the other side.

“Anymore questions?” Ken asked.
“Yeah. Why is he so like that?
***************************************************************** *******
Jelmerie, Aya-chan and Birman managed to arrive at the house not long after the three had gone in.

“Where do you think are they now?” Aya-chan asked.
“I don’t know. I know where Ryo and the others are but the three kittens, I don’t have any ideas.” Jelmerie replied.
“This is the house of business tycoon, Katsushima Tosaku. No wonder he can fund that project.” Birman said.
“Looks like the three kittens are finished here.”
“Yeah. Let’s try the other floors.”
******************************************************** ****************
The three had made their way down to the basement where they could hear a lot of noise. They opened a door and the huge glass enclosure greeted them. Inside the divided room were their three members, fighting with dummies. They started to dash in to help them when Ran heard something.

“Onii-chan! Your targets are upstairs! Birman’s fighting with them right now and they’ve sent more guys here!” Aya-chan said.
“Aya!”
“Just go! We’ll explain later!” Ran looked momentarily at his sister then to his cousin before he went running back.
***************************************************************** *******
Yoji opened the door and watched as Ryoko ravaged the mannequin in front of her. And as another came up from a trapdoor, the girl prepared to mutilate it when an almost invisible wire stopped her.

“Playtime’s over Ryo.”
*********************************************************** *************
“Yuki stop this already.” Ken said.
“I’m not going to fight you. You can kill me if you like but I’m not moving.”

Yuki looked at him for a long time, her eyes glazed. He was hoping he could bring her back, but when she charged to him, he knew he should try again.
**************************************************************** ********
“I didn’t think he can be this violent.” Aya-chan said as she and Jelmerie dodged Omi’s attacks
“Nor be so unresponsive! Imagine, he hasn’t heard any of us? He’s starting to be a huge headache.” Jelmerie said trying to wound the boy.
“I thought there’ll be no blood involved?” Aya-chan asked as she was nearly grasped by Omi.
“He started it!” she said, pointed at her torn off sleeve.
*************************************************************** *********
“It’s only you.” Birman sighed when she met Ran.
“Finished with the big boss already?” he nodded.
“Talking them out of it won’t work. They’re still in their selves but it’s up to them to come back. And to do that, you must ride on with them, go with their memories.” She said
“You better go down now. Your cousin and sister needs you. I still need to ruin their equipment here.” With a last nod, he went pass her to the stairs that leads to the basement.
************************************************************* ***********
Ran stopped in his tracks and looked at the three rooms in front of him. Yoji seemes to be handling Ryoko’s attitude very well, though it is evident that Yoji is only doing defense, Jelmerie and Aya-chan are dodging all of Omi’s attacks and seldom do they return it to him. And he looked at Yuki, beating Ken to the ground. He did not know how to inform the others on what to do, but Yuki’s near to killing Ken and he knows he must stop it.

“Yuki. If you want a fight, face me.” He said.
***************************************************************** *******
Ryoko thrashed from her bounds and managed to cut them off. Yoji’s starting to bleed while she has only a few injuries. Yoji panted and looked at her, distraught.

“Ryo, come back to yourself.” He pleaded.
“I won’t… this is the only thing I could forget the pain.” She said in a hollow voice. Yoji stared at her.
****************************************************************** ******
“Omi stop it will you!” Jelmerie shouted
“We both know it doesn’t work” Aya-chan sighed.
“Tsukiyono Omi stop it!” Jelmerie shouted again, this time, Omi halted.
“Great job!” Aya-chan greeted.
“You spoke too soon, dodge!” Jelmerie replied when Omi attacked again.
**************************************************************** ********
“What did you say?” Yoji asked.
“He’s haunting me, making me remember how hard it was when he died, he kept on coming back.” Ryoko continued.
“Who?”
“Kira!!!” she shouted, lunging at him.
****************************************************************** ******
Ken watched as Ran and Yuki fought. He had received many injuries from not fighting back and he could scarcely walk. None seemed to know each other but it’s obvious that Ran did not want to hurt the girl. Their match was long, not one wanted to give up. Yuki was first to tire out and the redhead saw an opportunity, he atatcked more fiercely, while the girl’s energy lowered. He attacked until he had pushed her to the wall, and using the sheath of his sword, choked her.

“Aya stop it!” He called, struggling to get up.
“Yuki, I don’t know what’s the problem with you but if you won’t take yourself out of it, I will.”
********************************************************** **************
Jelmerie landed on the floor when Omi threw one of her stray darts back to her. Aya-chan watched in horror but collected herself as fast as possible. Jelmerie prepared an attack but Aya-chan had other plans.

“Jel, leave him to me. I’ll do what Birman said!” she said
“Takatori Mamoru!” she yelled, making Omi turn his glazed eyes at her.
“Don’t be surprised like that, I know who you really are, you are the son of Takatori Reiji, the one who made me suffer for two years in a coma. I’m not surprised at you now, you’re showing the signs of a true Takatori, a cold blooded monster!” she shouted.

Omi’s eyes momentarily became unstable but then it went back to its glazed appearance. He attacked Aya-chan but the girl incredibly avoided all of his attacks and managed to wound him.

“Come on, your father wanted to kill me, but in the end my brother killed your father instead. If you want vengeance, come, kill me and be through with it. Isn’t that want you want Takatori? Isn’t that what you and your father craved about?” Omi continued his attacks.
“Very good Mamoru, you nearly got me there. But before you kill me I want to tell you something…” she moved sideways and pushed the boy to the ground.
“I like Omi better than you. But since you wanted to be Mamoru instead of the Omi we know and love, I’ll leave you to your own hell inside your mind.” She said.as Omi struggled to get up.

“Aya-chan?” Jelmerie asked and was puzzled when the girl smiled at her..

She went to Jelmerie and waited as Omi slowly walked to them, his eyes covered by his bangs. The two looked at each other and was ready to jump back when the boy talked.

“Thanks for that one Aya-chan, I’m back.” He said, smiling at them.

Jelmerie made a move towards him, aimed a punch at his face which he quickly avoided and hit the girl in the head.

“I already said I’m back! What’s the punch for?” he asked.
“A welcome greeting?” Jelmerie cnickered.
************************************************************ ************
Yuki struggled for breath as the redhead continued to strangle her.

“Look at me Yuki, why did you go to a place where I can’t follow you? I’ve promised I’ll always be here for you and Aya-chan but you left us. Now I’ll tell it to you again, I am here no matter what. Just come to me, to Aya-chan. I promise you’ll never be alone. I’ll wipe your tears away even before they fall. Can’t you remember that or you have chosen to forget that and what we mean to you?”
“Stop it you’re killing her!” Ken shouted, walking slowly to the two.

Ran pulled the sheath from the girl’s neck when she saw her eyes regain their natural state. He smiled when she recognized him, he pushed away the stray hairs covering her face and hugegd her tight.

“You nearly killed me.” She laughed puling away.
“You’re back to normal again.” Ken smiled and started to fall.
“My God, Ken!” Yuki said running just in time to catch him..
“What happened to you? Ran, help me with him!”
*********************************************************** *************
“They’re still not finsihed?” Birman asked, looking at Ryok oand Yoji through the glass.
“He doesn’t want any of us to meddle. Stubborn git.” Jelmerie said.
“He’s wasting his energy with her. Among the three of us, Ryo is the hardest to pull back. She already has so many repressed memories she might even turn to regression.” Yuki said.
“Isn’t there any other way?” Aya-chan asked.
“If it’s about Ryo’s brother, it’s almost a hopeless case.” Birman said.
“We have a tranquilizer here, we can sue it for her.” Omi said.
“Hey Yuki, you reckon what Cammy told us about Ryo at one time?” Yuki wracked her brains for a while then nodded.
“Yeah. And it might just work. He has a voice hasn’t he?” Jelemrie answered her with a shrug
“I’ll go in. I need someone to fight Ryo while I relate my plan to Yoji.” Jelmerie said.
“I’ll go.” Omi said.
***************************************************************** *******
“What’re you doing here!” Yoji hissed.
“Omi!” the boy nodded.
“We’re here to help you…”

After a while, Yoji and Jelmerie watched as Omi made perfect dodges from the girl’s attacks. Slowly, the two walked closer to them and when Omi met Jelmerie’s eyes, she mouthed the signal.

“Do it ‘mi.” she said.

A needle hit Ryoko and she swayed. She must finish the boy in front of her but something’s distorting everything. She could hear a faint voice singing a familiar song as she became drowsy. Her eyelids began to close and she fell down, not to the hard floor but to something soft. Still the voice echoed through her mind, giving her peace and comfort. Slowly she gave into sleep, with her sanity back to its place.

“ Kira.” She whispered.
“Do yo uthink she’ll be okay when she wake up?” Yoji asked.
“Yeah. Sure.” Birman replied.
************************************************************** **********
Morning came and Yuki leisurely sat on a chair and turned on the tv, waiting for the clock to strike seven. Ken noticed her and looked at the clock.

“You’re up early today. It’s thirty minutes before seven.” He commented.
“Well...” She shrugged, eyes still glued on the tv.
“Are you feeling okay?”
“Huh? If you’re talking about the mission last night, yeah, I’m okay.”
“I should be the one asking that. Sorry I beat you up. You should’ve fought back”
“I’m fine. I don’t see the reason why I must fight you back, you’re out of yourself last night. How about you, not feeling any side effects?”
“I’m okay.”
“Are you sure?” he asked again.
“Yeah” She answered, with an irritated tone.

Minutes later, she felt her eyes close voluntarily and she dropped the remote, giving into sleep. When the clock reached six forty-five, Ken decided to check on her and saw her asleep.

“Hey, you’re going to be late.” He said, shaking her.
“Later.” She muttered, rolling to her side.
“Wake up…”
“Yeah, yeah.” She answered but still did not budge and instead covered her ear.
“Yuki,” he said, pulling the hand from her ear.
“Later…” she muttered.
“You’re going to be L-A-T-E. And I won’t stop bugging you until you get up.”
“Okay, okay I’m up!” she started to glare but yawned instead.

She marched to where her bag is but when she was about to pick it up, swayed and nearly fell. The girl ran to the window and opened it, her breath coming in gasps. After a few seconds, she fell on her knees.

“Yuki, are you feeling okay?” he asked, running to her.
“I-I am… And I got you there Siberian.” She looked up to him, laughing at the look on his face.
“W-what?!?”
“Look at your face!”
“You scared me almost to death! Never play that kind of trick again!” he scolded hitting her lightly on the head.
“Can’t promise that!” she grinned.
************************************************************** **********
“Ohayou!!!” Omi greeted Jelmerie when the former joined her for breakfast.
“You seem to be in normal mode today Omi. Are you sure your sanity’s still there?”
“Yeah, think so.” He said while running his hand over his head.
“Tsukiyono Omi, I didn’t know you have a thing for a girl I know.” Jelmerie grinned.
“W-w-what?” Omi gaped at her.
“Sorry but I heard you talking in your sleep. If I remember right, she’s “the one you’re going to protect””. Omi chewed his toast slowly.
“And if I’m not mistaken, her name’s Fujimiya Aya.” She smirked. Omi’s eyes widened and at the same time choked on the toast he’s eating.
“Shut up Jel! Stop pulling my leg.” He spat.
“I’m not, want to hear it? Actually, I got in recorded…” she smirked, patting the portable cassette player on the table.
“I’m going to kill you Jel!!!” he glared.
“Hey, hey, calm down. I was just joking! God, look at your face, your near to bursting! I didn’t have it on tape…” Omi heaved a sigh of relief.
“But I swear to God I heard you say it!!!” she grinned.
“!!!”
“It’s so good to have something I can use to blackmail you.” She said before letting out an evil laugh
“So you really like Aya-chan!!!” she declared.
“I don’t!” He answered defensively.
“I heard you…” she taunted.
“You’re lying!”
“No, you are!!!” Jelmerie suddenly gripped Omi’s wrist tight.
“Now, tell me honestly, do you like Aya-chan?” she asked, looking staright to his eyes.
“Well,” Jelmerie raised an eyebrow.
“It’s all out Omi, I already heard it from your mouth when you were asleep.”
“Well, you’ve heard it already, what else do you want?” Omi snapped.
“So, you really like her?” Jelmerie’s eyes shone with excitement.
“Yeah.” Omi whispered.
“I knew it!!!! Thanks a lot Omi!!!” she laughed, grabbing her things as quick as possible and heading towards the door.
“And before I forget, everything I told you was I lie. I never heard you talking in your sleep. But thanks for that info anyway.” Jelmerie said, snapping the door shut and running as fast as she could.
“WHAT!?!?!?!”
********************************** **************************************
Yoji stood in front of Ryoko’s bedroom door, knocking for the past ten minutes. Manx and Birman had warned them of possible after effects of the experiment on them the time they woke up and he wants to check if everything’s well with the girl. When he was about to get the keys to the room, he heard footsteps.

“What took you so long?” he asked.
“Nothing.”
“Hey, are you sick or something?” he asked.
“No.”
“Are you sure?” he said, placing a hand on her forehead to feel her temperature.
“Stop it Yoji! I said I’m fine, leave me alone!” She yelled, walking away from him.
“S-sorry.” She muttered afterwards.

Yoji looked at her and walked to the kitchen, moments later, he gave her a glass of cold water to drink and ushered her to a chair.

“Is there something that bothers you?” Ryoko shook her head.
“Ne, Yoji, have you lost someone close to you?” the girl asked after a short period of silence.
“Yeah why?”
“Have you forgotten that person already?” the blonde stopped and thought, not noticing Ryoko’s intent gaze on him.
“I guess not.” He said.
“Do you still remember that person once in a while?? Yoji nodded.
“Then tell me, does it hurt so much?” her voice started shaking.
“Ryoko…”
“When they made the experiment, I saw Kira. It hought I had gotten overmy brother’s death but I was wrong. Since then he started appearing in my dreams, I can see him when I close my eyes.” She cried.
“Ryo-“
“Tell me, why does it hurt so much now? Greater than what I felt when he died? Why? I want to forget him to get rid of this pain!!!” She buried her face in her hands and continued crying.
“It does hurt when you remember someone you love but it doesn’t mean you have to forget your brother. You’re crying because you’re not used to remembering him. You’ve pushed his death deep into your brain to get rid of the pain, but you must admit t oyourself that losing him hurts. Only in that way you can lessen that pain.”
“Yoji, could you do me a favor?” she asked.
“Sure, what is it?” Ryoko looked up to him.
“Treat me to a shopping spree tomorrow!!!!” she grinned.
“What?” He asked, confused.
“You said, you would do me a favor, I want you to treat me to a shopping spree tomorrow. So, I’ll be counting on that! Ja!!!” she smirked and ran to the door leaving Yoji clueless.
************************************************************* ***********
The class is at its usual morning state, with students busy copying notes, cleaning the room, talking, and everything in between. Ryoko walked in but a question from a friend of hers woke her senses.

“Hey, I heard you have a date for the upcoming dance!” Ryoko’s friend said.
“Whatever that is, it’s not true…” Ryoko said immediately.
“You’re denying it Ryo…” Mitsuyoshi, a friend of Calvin said.
“I am not!” she said.
“You are!” the boy shot back.

Their bickering got long enough that everyone’s attention was turned to them. Unknown to them, their adviser, together with Omi had just reached the doorway and was about to make an announcement.

“Class…” she started.
“Ryo, stop denying that Calvin is your date for the dance!!!” Mitsuyoshi shouted, making everyone in the room stop and stare at them, Ryoko to turn pale, Omi and her classmates to laugh hard, and surprised their adviser.

“Well, that seems to be a good news.” Their adviser commented.
************************************************************ ************
“You’re up early today.” Folter noticed as she saw Morgaine sipping a cup of coffee beside the window sill.
“Got a call from Brad and the others. They’ve finished their business and will be returning here soon.” The other girl blinked.
“Really? That’s great.”
“Guys. Mind if I ask a small favor from you?” Hecate said.
“Sure what is it?”
“Starting the fall of an angel.” She grinned.
************************************************************** **********
In the middle of eating their snack that afternoon, Ryoko told her of the misfortune that befell her even before the official school bell rang. Jelmerie and Aya-chan were laughing hard while Omi tried hard to keep himself from laughing. After several more complains, the chips and sandwiches in front of them ran out and Jelmerie and Aya-chan volunteered to go to the counter. Just as the two found a place in the line, Omi lightly stepped on Ryoko’s foot and tilted his head to the door.

“Calvin Orion 8 o’clock.” He whispered.
“Hell! I just wish he won’t see us.” Ryoko muttered.

Calvin and his friends nearly ignored the three but Mitsuyoshi quickly spotted Ryoko and dragged the others to visit their table.

“Hi Tsukiyono. So Ryo, all set for the dance?” Calvin grinned.
“Shut up.”
“Come on Ryo, don’t be too cold. Nearly everyone in our batch knows your going with Cal.” Jerreon, Calvin’s best friend smirked.
“I said shut up.” Then, Aya-chan returned to their table.
“Jelmerie said she can handle it all. So I went back here” She shrugged
“Hi there miss. I’m Jerreon.” The boy interrupted.
“Hi. I’m Fujimiya Aya.”
“Ryo, why don’t you just take her along with you? So she could meet some of our schoolmates.” Jerreon continued while Ryoko rolled her eyes.
“So Aya, can you make it to the dance? I’m sure Tsukishiro will be glad to brig you along.”
“Actually, she’s going, but as Omi’s partner.” Omi nearly choked.
“Yeah.” Aya-chan agreed.

After Calvin and his group left their table, and after Jelmerie came and laid the food on their table, Ryoko recounted what the other girl missed.

“But that’s a good idea! Aya-chan, why don’t you come with them?” Jelmerie asked.
“No thanks. I don’t want to disturb Ryo’s perfect night.” Ryoko glared at her.
“You ‘re starting to sound like Yuki.” She muttered
“Hey Omi, who’s your date?” Ryoko said, looking sideward at Aya-chan.
“Is it a necessity?” the boy shot back.
“He’s right Ryo. You’re just lucky to have Calvin” Jelmerie defended.
“Hey, how’s your investigation about the picture coming?” the three gaped at Aya-chan.
“How?” Ryoko started.
“Yuki told me. So, how’s it going?”
“Nowhere.” Omi mumbled, biting into his burger.
“Well, I just happen to have some information that can help.” She winked.
*************************************************************** *********
Yuki, Kanoe and Venn went to the mall just after their early dismissal to eat. Yuki laughed with Kanoe’s joke after they have finished their food. Kanoe was starting to tell another story again when Venn pointed to her phone.

“Yuki, someone’s calling you.” She said.

Yuki picked up her phone from the table and looked at the caller ID, it only showed a number not familiar to her but she answered it anyway.

“Who’s this?” she asked.
“Walk outside…” came the voice from the other line.
“Who are you?”
“Walk outside…” the person on the other line repeated.

She insisted on knowing who the caller was but the only answer she got was the message of going outside. Irritated, she ended the call and placed her phone on top of the table.

“Who was that?” Kanoe asked.
“No one in particular.” She shrugged.
“Hey Yuki, you have another call.” The three looked into Yuki’s phone.
“That number again!” she sighed.
“Come on, let me answer whoever that is.” Kanoe said.
“No thanks, I’ll deal with this caller myself. Excuse me…”she aid, making her way to the foodchain’s door and to the railing lining the fourth floor.
“I don’t have time to play games. Who are you?” she asked again.
“Look down to the ground floor.” Yuki followed.
“Yeah, so I see a lot of people. What kind of a joke are you pulling here?”
“Just beside the fountain. Look Sachiel, it’s your charge” Yuki’s heart skipped a beat at seeing Ken and Yuriko sitting on one of the benches beside the fountain while eating ice cream.
“Who’s this? Hecate?” she said, turning away from the railings
“Don’t dare go away from the railings Sachiel, you might regret it. Now look at the second floor, to your left.”
“Folter!” Yuki thought seeing the girl looking straight at her direction.
“At my command, your charge and his girl will die…” Hecate said.

A few seconds passed before she was able to recover from the shock, she immediately ended the call and dialed Ken’s number while she herself ran back to their table. His phone rang a few times yet her call wasn’t answered.

“Just in time Yuki, we’re leaving” Kanoe smirked as the girl returned to their table.
“Yeah. But I have to make another call, you guys go ahead excuse me…” she said, pulling her bag.

She quickly ran back to the railings and faked making a phone call while watching Folter put a hand inside a pocket. When the two have gone down the escalator, she took out a leather case and pulled out a dart from it.

“Why the hell did I not pay attention to Sora and Cammy when they were teaching us hitting far targets.” She said to herself.
“Hell, I wish that either Jel or Omi’s here.”

Aiming carefully at Folter who had pulled out a small gun from her pocket, she prayed that her darts would find their targets. After breathing deeply, she let go of three darts. It would’ve injured Folter only if Todesursache hadn’t thrown her own darts from the fifth floor. Their darts hit the wall and some people started looking up. Yuki retreated and ran down to the escalator when again, she got another phone call.

“What? You think I came here with just one assassin?” Hecate laughed.
“If you want a fight, let’s settle for it, don’t include others.” She said as low as possible.
“You know why you’re here, why we’re here, we’re just doing our job.”
“Don’t you dare hurt my charge Hecate…”

Her statement was answered by a shrill laughter that ended the call. Yuki reached the second floor and ran to Folter’s position, and found the girl nowhere in sight. She looked up at the fifth floor and found that Todesursache had also disappeared.

“You didn’t intend to kill them did you? Or else you would’ve given the go signal to Folter long before. What do you want? Or should I say which one?” she asked as she again received another call.
“Angel’s instinct. Well done Sachiel, you will really do anything to protect your charge. But I’m afraid this doesn’t end here, the chase is just about to start…” The caller said.
“You’re not Hecate. Who…” she said, recognizing the change in voice of the caller.

Yuki did not have to ask who the new caller was for she had seen her already. Just as the elevator passed by the second and started to descend to the ground floor, she saw Morgaine, holding her phone and looking at her from the glass walls of the elevator.
************************************************************* ***********
Ran walked down the street unmindful of the passers-by. After making almost half a dozen deliveries for the day, he was exhausted and he didn’t notice the blur of color running towards him.

“Sorry.” The girl said after bumping him, then went on her way.

Shaking his head indignantly, he returned to his journey back to the flower shop when his mind registered something. He tried to do a playback mentally and suddenly looked at the direction the girl went.

“Wait, isn’t that…” he thought, following the girl’s trail.
**************************************************************** ********
Ryoko, Jelmerie, Omi and Aya-chan went straight to Omi’s apartment for Aya-chan to tell them what she knows. As Omi sets up his laptop, Aya-chan started telling her story.

“Being left in a safehouse can help. What do you have?” She grinned as Omi motioned for the three to come.
“This was all we found.” Omi said, pointing to the picture.
“That won’t get you nowhere. If the files inside the safehouse are correct, you can’t find a single detail about Morgaine and the others there.”
“Then, what will we do?” Omi asked.
“We’ll see.” The girl grinned
*************************************************************** *********
Yuki hid herself behind a tree, still following Ken and Yuriko as they. She had seen Morgaine following the two and even though she lost track of her, soemthing in her is saying that her charge is still in danger.

“Why the hell do I have to go through all of this just for that stupid guy? I look like a stalker or something! Good thing that kitten forgot to bring his bike with him or else I don’t know how to tail them. Hell, is this what my prank’s worth?” she thought

She carefully followed the two around and even waited outside the hotel where Yuriko stays. Twice she had seen a glimpse of Morgaine a few feet away from the two and that alone made her uneasy. Morgaine, considered as the Erinyes’ leader is after her charge. Though she knows there’s a hidden agenda behind all the things that’s happening, she still can’t risk the life of her charge and so she waited until she saw the two come out.

“Onegai Ken, just go straight home. I have a project to finish, I can’t follow you all throughout Tokyo!” she whined mentally, following the two.

The ring of her phone made her jump in her place, again, it was Morgaine.

“On the count of three…” Yuki looked frantically around, trying to find a sign of Morgaine or anyone of the Erinyes.
“One…” she couldn’t find any of the four.
“Two…” she started running to Ken and Yuriko’s direction.
“Three.”
*********************************** *************************************
Ran walked into the middle of the scuffle that broke out across the street from his position while his eyes looked into the crowd. It appears that a group of teenagers started a fight in the middle of the street, but he’s not paying any attention to them, he’s after someone else.

“What are you doing here following Ken?” he asked.
“R-ran? How?” Yuki asked.
**************************************************************** ********
“What do we want from an online journal?” Ryoko asked.
“What’s the name again?” Jelmerie asked asked.
“An Angel’s Flight.”
“Guys. I didn’t find the exact name but there are possible matches. We have to sort these journals out.” Omi said pointing to the screen.”
“Seventy?!?!?! Aya-chan, do you have any ideas what that site looks like?” the girl shook her head.
“What!?!?!?!?!” Aya-chan laughed, seeing Ryoko’s hysterical look.
“Just kidding. Come on, let’s start.”
********************************************************* ***************
“You’re the kind of person who ignores ordinary fights Yuki. But there you deliberately ran into the middle of the brawl. What for?” Ran asked.
“You were following Ken and that girl. Why?” he continued
“I was following them out of curiosity, and I jumped into the middle of that riot because my charge might get hurt.” Ran stared at her for a while
“Complains?” she said, meeting his eyes
“Rest for a while it’s good that your wound stopped bleeding.”
****************************************************** ******************
“Are you sure this is it?” Jelmerie asked.
“Yeah. That’s how the page looked like in the report.”
“What report?”
“Well. You all know I stay inside a Kritiker safehouse whenever you guys go to a mission. Well, I found some files lying around and I decided to read some of them. I got interested with an envelope marked as a classified file.”
“And let me guess, you read it?” Ryoko grinned.
“Well what do you expect? I opened the envelope and only three pieces of paper were in it. They’re reports about a certain project. I did not read the article thoroughly but it tells of a file that has been separated and put into a “safer place”. At the bottom were signatures, two of them. Jel, can you guess a name?”
“Manx? Birman? Sora?” Aya-chan shook her head.
“One’s a Camellia Montgomery and the other, Vaughn Seymour.” She smiled.
“Camellia and Vaughn?!?!” Ryoko exclaimed
“There’s nothing here. It just looks like a normal livejournal.” Omi said, cutting the conversation.
“Wait, have you read all the entries? Maybe we can get something from them.” Jelmerie suggested.
************************************************************ ************
“So, my schoolmates were great weren’t they? Starting a major riot in the middle of the street.” Folter grinned.
“Yeah. Sachiel fell for our trap. She doesn’t know we’re after her and not her charge.” Hecate laughed.
“Don’t you want to call your friend? We still aren’t finished with Sachiel” Morgaine smiled.
“Yeah.” Hecate grinned.
“Don’t make it too hard for the little girl.” A voice inside the room said.
“Schu!!! You’re back!!!” Folter grinned seeing the Schwarz at the doorway.
************************************************************** **********

Converting /tmp/phpq40uU6 to /dev/stdout