Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Halcyon ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Title: Halcyon (Ch. 4)
Author: Genuinelie(s)
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Weiss Kreuz is not mine.
Pairing: Leading toward AxY.
Summary: The boys are finding that until death, all ends are just masked beginnings.
A/N: Continuation.
 
xxxxx
 
Author's comment: So - thank you, C Elise, for commenting!
 
All the rest of you - thanks to Fanfic.net stats page, I know this story is being read. It's pretty difficult sending your writing out into the abyss, esp. a multichaptered work. If you're reading (and I know at least some of you are), please drop me a line! I'd like to hear from those of you whose eyes are traveling across my words.
 
^_^
 
And if not - thanks for sticking with, regardless.
 
On to the story!
 
xxxxx
 
Yohji had intended to go out.
 
He'd intended to get plastered. Then he'd intended to pick up a girl, because that didn't remind him of Aya, and go back to her place and forget about his earlier revelation entirely.
 
Instead, he was tailing someone who would more than likely kill him when he found out.
 
The second he stopped walking so goddamned quickly, of course.
 
It was cold out. The wind had picked up, and a light rain was drifting down on the city. In front of him, Aya had hunched over, his chin tucked down, hands stuffed in his beige trenchcoat.
 
Yohji hadn't brought anything but his skin and what he would classify as clothing. He hadn't expected to see that familiar shock of red outside the window, or see Aya heading down the street. Not this late at night. Yohji hadn't paused for his jacket.
 
He still wasn't sure what had possessed him to tail the other assassin. It might have been the way Aya had been avoiding them since his sister had left. It could have been his determined gate, something that told him that he wasn't just out for a stroll.
 
Aya, Aya, stalking your sister?
 
But he was headed out of the city.
 
To his surprise, they ended up on a bridge over a river. Yohji remained far enough away that he could skim the shadows. The city was a blur of colored lights in the distance.
 
Aya was leaning on the railing, bent over the top rung. Circles of lamplight stretched down the sidewalk. His teammate had found the darkness between them. Yohji watched as he placed one foot on the bottom rail.
 
His breath caught. Aya, you're not -! "Aya!"
 
The figure stumbled backwards, almost into the street and a passing car. Yohji's stomach lurched, but suddenly, Aya was doing the exact opposite of what he was expecting.
 
Namely coming right at him.
 
Shit! The punch connected with his stomach before Yohji could block it. It was followed by another to his head. "Aya, you prick! Stop!" Yohji fell into a fighting stance.
 
"Stop - ai, stop - fuck you!" He was taken aback by the force of Aya's reaction. Yohji finally managed to grab hold of one fist. He swung the other man into the railing and pressed him there, using proximity to chamber him. Aya was bent backwards over the water, startling color against the misty grey river. His violet eyes were dangerous.
 
Not a good idea. His body was telling him that he could lie to himself all he wanted, but it was having none of it. The burgeoning reaction from adrenaline and, dammit, simple proximity was going to get him killed the moment he released the other assassin. There was no way even a stubborn, angry Aya could miss that.
 
Aya was struggling against him, eyes wild. "Why are you here?"
 
Yohji nearly winced. He hadn't expected it to go like this.
 
He shoved his weight against the other man's chest, careful to keep them balanced enough not to fall. He ignored his body because thankfully, Aya was ignoring it as well. "Maybe I owe you. Remember the club, Ayan?" Yohji didn't know why his mind jumped back all those months ago, to when Aya had found out all about Yohji Kudoh.
 
Aya remembered. His eyes had flicked to the side before going steely again. "You're a selfish bastard," he hissed.
 
That stung, but Yohji already knew what the other man thought of him. "So what are you doing here, Ayan?"
 
Yohji felt Aya's muscles tense before the swordsman shoved Yohji off. He sidestepped quickly, putting a couple feet between them. Yohji still tripped, though he'd known it was coming. His arms flailed for a moment. Miraculously, he managed to keep upright.
 
So much for keeping the upper hand. His anger flared. "Well?"
 
Aya's fists clenched, eyes narrowing. Yohji could see the glint of them even through the rain. "I'm not here to kill myself," Aya hissed, hitting on what Yohji had been thinking exactly. "I used to..." The expression changed for a moment, then refocused. "Why do you care?"
 
Yohji blinked.
 
He really didn't feel like this was the moment for sharing.
 
"Aya..."
 
"You hate me, Yohji. Why are you following me?"
 
Yohji's mouth dropped open. The other man said it so matter-of-factly.
 
His brain was having a hard time processing. He was shivering slightly, and the rain was sliding down his bare skin and through his clothes.
 
Aya's face was unreadable. His red hair was dripping down into his eyes. Yohji would have thought the rivulets were tears if he hadn't known better.
 
"You've never been able to stand being around me. I don't feel like being mocked. Go find someone else to distract you from your demons."
 
"Hate you?" Yohji almost laughed at the incredulity. That was projection if he'd ever heard it.
 
"Yes." Aya growled. His hands were fists, body tense.
 
"So what about the breakfasts, Aya?" Yohji was grim.
 
"Breakfasts?"
 
Yohji finally identified himself as pissed. "I've been dragging my ass out of bed at eight in the morning. Every fucking morning, Aya. Would I do that for someone I hated?"
 
Aya looked stunned. He opened his mouth. Yohji ignored him.
 
His voice rose. "I've gone on missions for you, Aya. I helped you save her!"
 
Yohji wrapped his arms around himself. He was spending far too much time being cold and wet lately because of Aya's crap.
 
He squinted through the water. Aya had one arm braced on the railing of the bridge, his face turned away.
 
A car drove by, splashing a muddy puddle onto the sidewalk. Yohji sidestepped it, using the excuse to move closer.
 
"You don't hate me."
 
It was quiet. Aya's face was obscured by shadows and the falling rain.
 
"Now you're getting it." Yohji said flippantly. Despite the tone, he gritted his teeth. He couldn't stop himself from adding, "Not that I thought you'd care, Ayan."
 
There was a quiet noise from the other man. It took Yohji a second to identify it as a laugh.
 
It wasn't anything resembling amused. Not that he had much experience to base it on.
 
It felt like a fist to his gut. He would have preferred a fist to his gut.
 
He really did have a pretty shitty sense of self-preservation. His emotions could go fuck themselves. He didn't need to be laughed at on top of confirming what he already knew - on the list of people Aya might potentially feel even a little sense of warmth towards - well, his name didn't even make the fucking cut.
 
There was no way in hell he was going home alone after putting himself through this.
 
Yohji turned toward the city. He might have been soaked through, but in some venues, the wet look was in.
 
Aya didn't stop him. Yohji didn't look back.
 
xxxxx
 
Tbc.