Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ It's All Relative ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Schuldig stumbled into the kitchen yawning and trying vainly to smooth his wild mane into some sense of order.  As untamable as the man himself, the orange locks flew in all directions, the shorter pieces doing a terrific job at defying gravity.  Giving up on the hair, the telepath continued to the coffee pot, and, God bless programming, filled his gigantic mug from the full pot.  Almost dunking his head in the mug Schuldig took his first life-saving swallows before his eyes fully opened and he looked at the pot again.  Wait a minute.  Given Crawford's bizarre compulsion to rise with the sun the pot should have been at least half empty by now.  Maybe he had gotten over his pique and slipped into bed with Aya.  Not that they ever slept together, Crawford always going back to the privacy of his own room.

Schuldig drank some more to jump start his intellect and cast his mind about the house.  He couldn't, and never really had been able to, read Crawford, but he could feel his presence.  Crawford wasn't in the house and Aya was still deeply asleep thanks to Schuldig's mental compulsion.  Oops.  He corrected that and knew his teammate would awake naturally very soon.  In the hope of deflecting an Aya tantrum over daring to invade the sanctity of his bedroom the night before, Schuldig put water in the kettle and put it on to boil for tea.  Next to Aya's teapot was a folded note.  Without a second thought Schuldig opened it to read that Crawford had flown to Japan early that morning and would return in a few days.  He had left instructions for the two redheads to stick together and stay out of trouble while he was gone.  It was signed 'Crawford', not 'Brad', so fearless leader was still obviously pissed at his lover.

Such silliness, Schuldig mused.  Crawford might have been angry enough over Aya questioning him to have threatened to shoot him yet he had still asked the telepath to be on hand when Aya woke from his nightmare.  Oh yeah, the Oracle was one stone cold, bad ass all right.  Schuldig chuckled to himself.  Not that it had been a terrible chore.  Schuldig liked to snuggle and the Abyssinian was as cuddly as any other cat when sleepy and warm.  Actually, Schuldig had liked it very much and wondered if he would be able to get some more snuggles before Crawford returned. 

The whistling kettle gave Schuldig an idea.  He brewed a pot of tea for his prickly teammate and put pot and cup on a tray with the morning paper and a plate of toast.  He added a small bud vase with a few stalks of crocus that Aya had been forcing.  There, all done.  Nothing but an innocent little peace offering but one sure to throw Aya off balance.  As a further consideration Schuldig even covered his fluorescent yellow pajama bottoms that Aya had found so blinding with his favorite green robe.

"Rise and shine, lazybones!"  He sang out as he opened Aya's door.

Aya at first mumbled a sleepy denial then shot into a sitting position.

"Schuldig!  Is this invasion of my bedroom going to become a habit?"

"If you like."  Schuldig purred in his best sultry voice.

"I don't like."  Aya grated.

"You didn't seem to mind too much last night."

Aya flushed.  "Last night was ah..there were.., there were extenuating circumstances."

"Have it your way, but if I go, the tea goes with me."

"You made me tea?"  Aya smoothed his bed covers and peered at the telepath from beneath his bangs.  "Who are you and what have you done with Schuldig?"

"Ha, ha.  Your wit is truly inspiring this morning."  Schuldig deposited the tray over Aya's legs and made himself at home on the end of the bed.  He lay on his stomach with his ankles crossed in the air and propped his chin in his cupped palms.

Aya nearly smiled at Schuldig's antics and poured himself a cup of tea.  As nonchalantly as possible he asked, "Crawford up?"

"Up and out of the country for a few days."

"Oh."  Aya kept his expression carefully blank and sipped his tea, forgetting for the moment that a telepath was perched on the end of his bed.

/He left without even saying anything to me./

/If it's any consolation, he didn't wake me either.  I found a note on the kitchen counter next to your teapot./  Schuldig sent and reached out to rub soothing circles on Aya's knee.

Aya jerked in surprise at having his unspoken thoughts answered.  He frowned at the telepath and strengthened his shields but made no comment over Schuldig's hand on his knee.  Aya buried any feelings of hurt deep and opened the paper.  The headline on the front page caught his eye and he set his cup on its saucer with a clatter.  Schuldig gasped at the wave of despair from Aya and gripped his own head as Aya closed his eyes tightly.

"Oh Gods,"  Aya whispered.  "The children were found last night in a warehouse near the public docks by a watchman.  They were all dead."

Schuldig, smothering in Aya's despair, crawled over the bed to envelope the limp and unresisting form in his arms.

"The bodies were in cargo containers with waybills to ship to Japan."  Aya continued.

Schuldig rocked them both and whispered in Aya's hair.  "I'm sorry, kitten.  I tried."

The redheads took comfort from each other.  It soothed Aya who was understandably now quite addicted to human touch and his calm reduced the echoing pain in Schu's head.  Moving slowly and not thinking, Schuldig tilted up his teammate's head and pressed light kisses over his face before covering his lips in an age old benison of comfort.  It felt wonderful!  When Schuldig tried to deepen the kiss Aya stiffened and Schuldig reluctantly let him go.  Aya's hair was soft and smelled wonderful and his body had felt so good against his own.

"Schu,"  Aya asked slowly.  "Did Crawford say where he was going?"

Schuldig's blue eyes widened in sudden comprehension.  "That fucking idiot!"  He yelped.  "Japan.  He went to Japan."

Aya threw off the covers and grabbed the phone.  Schuldig heard him booking two seats into Narita as his thoughts jumbled.  What the hell was Crawford thinking?  He had to have 'seen' something and kept it to himself.  Surely Crawford wouldn't follow such a dangerous lead on his own unless he had foreseen some danger to the rest of his team.  Schuldig cringed at the thought.  If that was Crawford's reasoning, Aya wasn't going to like it one bit and he was sure there was no way he could convince Aya to stay in New York.

The phone slammed into the cradle and Aya started stripping off his sleeping clothes.  Schuldig cocked an eyebrow and grinned until Aya caught sight of him.

"Stop ogling me and go get ready!  We have a flight to catch in two hours,"  He snapped.

"Assuming we can find him, if Crawford doesn't shoot us on sight he's going to be very, very pissed."  Schuldig warned.  "You may not get back into his bed for a long time."

Aya's hands fumbled but he didn't even pause.

"That's the least of my worries, Schu.  He has to be alive to spurn me.  I don't care what gifts you both have.  He'll get himself killed if he goes in alone.  Get ready before I leave you here."

Schuldig sighed dramatically and went to his own bedroom to shower and change.  His plans for seducing Aya had gone up in flames.  Like the white knight he used to be, the Abyssinian was determined to charge in and fight at his lover's side.  It could be romantic, he sighed, if he wasn't sure Crawford was going to kill both of them for disregarding orders.