Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Project An ❯ The legend continues ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
CODE 02: +The legend continues...+

There are two types of people. One creates Heaven out of Hell while other creates Hell out of Heaven. Which group of people do you belong to?

Six months and a week ago....

A flash of lightning brightened the rain-fallen night sky, showing the withering trees entangling around a pile of building rumbles.

Another flash. It revealed something clawing through the wasted bricks. It was a pale hand. Under the thunderstorm night, it looked ghastly than ever..

The rain continued to fall.....

~ + + + + + + ~

It was late evening, two members of WeiB-Fujimaya Ran and Kudou Yohji were waiting in a subway station of Tokyo. Ran was listening attentively to an announcement about a truck accident while Yohji was pulling out another cigarette while waiting for their youngest member to join them.

"A very unstable society, isn't it?" Yohji blew out a puff of smoke into the air: "You'll never know when your life ends."

"Humhh.." Ran replied without moving his eyes from the radio: "Where is Ken? He was with us a while ago?"

"Out window shopping for sports stuff I guess, he is never the patient sort."

"Rinngggggg....." A sudden sound interrupted the privacy of its owner in a busy subway station of Tokyo. A hand picked it up. A little line of word 'Bombay' appeared on the little screen.

"Omi! Where are you now?" Ken called: "Do you know what I have found..."

"Omi? Are you Omi's friend? He..." Instead of the expected bright teenage boy's voice, a girl's voice appeared on the other side of the line.

The mobile phone slipped from Ken's hand and dropped onto the ground.

"Omi..."

~ + + + + + + ~

The emergency lamp on the operation room was still lit. A teenage girl was sitting quietly, holding a mobile phone in her hands, her eyes staring aimlessly on the tiny screen of the handphone.

- FLASHBACK -

A series of bombs blew up in the truck as it crashed into an under construction building. Sparks of fire flew into the air.

"What the hell is going on?" some passingbys shouted.

"Hurry, someone might still be trapped inside that vehicle!!"

"Save that effort, no one can survive in there!"

Fire engines arrived to extinguish the flames. Ambulances arrived to send injured passingbys to hospital. Afar, Aya stood wide-eyed a far distance from the burning truck. The fire was too strong for anyone to go near. Some firemen broke into the driver seat to pull out the corpses inside. There were a lot of exclamations.

"A boy is still breathing!! Send him to the hospital! NOW!!!"

'A boy?' The words of the young stranger's words echoed once again in Aya's mind.

["AYA-CHAN!!! LOOK OUT!!!!!!!!!"]

'He is still alive! Who is he? How did he know my name?' Aya thought, her eyes traveling to a direction where a fireman cuddled a frail figure in his arms, placing the teenage boy onto a stretcher held out by medical assistants.

Determined to know his identity, Aya hopped onto the same ambulance.

"I'm his friend!" She called before the astonished staffs could say anything. She knew what they were going to ask.

It was that time when she was able to take a closer look of the teenager. He was unconscious and there were several burns and soot on his face and limbs. He looked around fourteen to fifteen years old and his brown attire made him appear smaller than usual.

'Tell me, who are you and how did you know my name?' Aya thought as she looked down onto the fine innocent face of the blond hair teenager. Of course, the boy could not answer her.

"Excuse me, Miss, would you mind contacting his family members?" a staff suddenly interrupted her thought, passing her a mobile phone found in the pocket of the boy.

- END OF FLASHBACK -

"Aya-chan," A feminine voice called across the walkway: "Are you alright?"

"Manx-san!" Aya called as she got up to meet the police inspector. She suddenly froze, her eyes widened in enormous size.

"Aya-chan, what's wrong?" Manx asked with concern and swayed quickly to look back. Round the bend, three young men stood. One with red hair was staring in astonishment at the younger lady before him.

"Ken, Aya (Manx did not know Ran's real name) and Yohji?!!!"

"Onnichan!" Aya gasped.

"Aya.." Ran whispered.

"Oh no, looks like our six-months old oath is broken," Yohji sighed.

"Manx, how is Omi?" Ken asked anxiously.

"Omi.. he is still in a critical condition," Aya stammered.

"Omi is in the operation room?" Manx echoed.

"Hai."

"How long has he been in?"

"Around two hours."

"Danmit!" Ken hit the wall with his fist: "How did this happen?"

Just then, the red lights vanished. A few doctors stepped out of the room. Yohji studied their expressions in wonder. There was no sign of defeat, only confusions.

"How is Omi?!!!" Ken grabbed the nearest doctor and started to shook him violently, yelling into his ears.

"Easy, Ken, Omi is not in danger." Yohji called.

"How is the young boy?" Aya asked anxiously, expecting the worst.

"He suffers 20% serious burns," The chief surgeon replied: "And his condition has stablised, but he has to stay in the normal ward for observation at least a month."

A bed was wheeled out with Omi sleeping peacefully on it. There were bandages on his face and limbs, but not intensive enough to make him look like a mummy.

'How can this be possible?' Aya muttered to herself.

~ + + + + + + ~

"Night news on NTV," the news reporter announced: "This afternoon, a truck filled with explosives ran across the street of .... Injuring at least twenty people who were on their way to work from lunch. A passingby hopped onto the truck, diverting the vehicle from the crowded area, finally collapsing onto an abandoned construction site. He is now in stable condition. The spokesman for police defied revealing further information. And now, the next news..."

In the midst of the darkness, a man sat in a small apartment, watching the television news. His face was hidden in the shadows.

"Heh, heh, seems that even the multimedia is trying to cover the details of that incident as well," His lips twisted to nibble a cigarette between his teeth, and his grin widened, showing his white teeth: "Let's see how long can they hold on...."

"Ha ha ha ha ha..." A roar of laughter filled the silence night: "Ha ha ha ha ha....."

~ + + + + + + ~

It was late afternoon-the second day after the accident.

Yohji leaned against the wall of Ward 305, watching the sleeping Omi on his bed. His eyes narrowed as Aya's words repeated in his mind.

["He was trapped in a truck full of explosives and fire when it crashed into a building..."]

'Figures, how can a normal human being survive under that condition? Let alone a young teenager.' Yohji thought: 'Am I overlooking something?' He was wary of the expressions wore on the doctors' faces.

'No, there is something more.'

His eyes traced across the ward. Ken was dozing by the bed, his head leaning on Omi's chest, probably exhausted and spent over the earlier excitements. Ran was outside the ward, obviously talking to his younger sister-Aya. They had not been talking together for almost three years and must have a lot to confess. Manx had returned to her office. She wanted to ask them more, but her cases were urgent.

"I'll talk to you guys later. I demand an explanation." Manx left the words before her departure.

For a long time, Ran and Aya did not say a word. So many events had happened and so many things had changed.

Almost three years ago, they had a happy family, and Ran would always brought Aya to funfairs and other places to play. But now, their home was destroyed and Ran had changed drastically-both mentally and physically. His red hair had grown and he was no longer the naïve and cheerful brother she had always known.

"How are you, Aya?" Ran finally broke the ice, hoping to strike a conversation. He had been thinking of many things to talk to her and many to ask her, but now, he found himself speechless before his younger sister.

He did not expect his words to bring out such big response from her.

"Where have you been?" Aya whispered, her voice trembled and shivered as her fists rolled into tight knuckles: "I have been thinking of you, day and night. I thought you were dead and I'll never be able to see you again. Why are you avoiding all of us? I feel so much alone. Otosan and okaasan are dead and with you gone... do you understand how I feel over these few months?"

"Aya..."

Aya's face continued to look down. Beads of tears tickled and spurted onto the floor: "Why, why are you avoiding me? I.. I..." Ran felt a tug onto his coat and Aya buried her face into his chest.

"Please don't leave me anymore!!!!!"

Ran remembered the nature of their activities ad how these could pose danger to his younger sister. They had set such oath after the last confrontation with the SZ, hoping to protect anyone around them. A broke of this oath would mean that his sister's peaceful life might never be the same again.

"Aya, I ....."

"NO!!!! YOU MUST PROMISE ME!!!!!!" Aya screamed in tears, hugging onto her elder brother tighter, fearing he would vanish before her eyes.

"I.. I promise..."

Later in the ward....

"You WHAT???!!!!!!!" Yohji and Ken screamed on top of their voices in the ward. Aya was asked to change the water in the vase and for the time being diverted away from the room.

"Shhhhhhhssssshhhh..," An annoyed nurse hissed in the ward while checking Omi's pulses: "The patient needs rest."

"I want to leave WeiB," Ran said expressionlessly: "I do not want Aya to suffer alone anymore."

"At a time when Omi is in this state?!!" Ken screamed. Another hiss from the nurse.

"Think about it, Ran," Yohji said calmly, his hand slipping down to draw a cigarette. A fiery glare from the nurse forced his hand to withdraw. He paused and continued: "Someone wants Omi and most probably Aya-chan dead, maybe all of us. Are you trying to quit at a time like this?"

"How can you be sure of it?" Ran frowned.

"My instinct. Shall we discuss it in privacy back home?" Yohji replied, throwing a glance at the busy nurse.

~ + + + + + + ~

Under the semi-darkness in the other part of the hospital, a man in suit was sitting comfortably, his back facing one of the operating doctors who had attended to Omi's wounds.

"How is the condition of the patient in Ward 305?"

"His pace of recovery is speedy. His cells are reproducing at an alarming pace and I found that he possesses some rare kind of enzymes that causes all of these to happen. We are still monitoring his DNA."

"Good, keep up your job,"

"Hai!"

The doctor left, leaving the man alone reading a document file in the room. On the top right hand corner, the patient's name wrote: 'Tsukuyono Omi'.

"Huh! The last surviving Takatori?"

~ + + + + + + ~

Omi was recovering fast. In less than three days, almost all his burns had healed and by the fourth day, he could walk around the place without anyone's support. His friends decided to leave him alone to recuperate.

The WeiB returned back to the florist shop-much to the old florist lady's delight. Sakura had cried and laughed when she entered the shop, seeing Ran standing tall before her after so many months of separation. Burman sent them greetings before returning back to her post. The fast deteriorating stability had kept her and Manx busy everyday.

"So are you going to continue the assassinating job?" Burman asked.

"Yes." Ran replied briefly.

It was fourteenth day after the accident. Omi was ready to be discharged. The WeiB members, Sakura and Aya went to bring him home.

"Hello, Omi, still playing with your laptop on the day you discharge?" Yohji greeted as they entered the ward, as he found Omi tip-tapping on his computer again.

"Yohji-kun, Ken-kun, Ran-kun, Sakura-san, Aya-chan! You're all here!" Omi exclaimed happily, waving a hand to gesture the other WeiB members closer.

"What have you found?" Ran asked.

"According to the information gathered from the media and police databases, the cause of the driver's death is a needle pricked into an important vein in his neck, resulting to respiratory problem. The truck and explosive belong to the military base located fifty miles from the accident scene. It is a mystery how the man can manage to smuggle thirty tones of bombs from the heavily guarded base all the way here."

"So what's amiss?" Ken asked.

"The man's identity was unknown and I have given the description of his appearance to the police before the explosion destroyed his corpse. Their database could not detect his background. I suspect he is probably a spy or undercover to smuggle the bombs for some illegal purpose. For some reasons, someone made use of the opportunity to create chaos on the street."

"Then?"

"That's all."

"You have yet told us the full story, Omi," Ran said calmly, yet firm.

"He has said everything, Onnichan. Come on, let's go home, Omi looks tired," Aya interrupted in.

Ran gave Omi a look and everyone started packing up his stuff to head for home.

It was a rainy day.

As the car drove along the expressway, Omi looked out of the rain-beating window. It was the same rainy day, just like the day when the accident occurred.

He thought of that paralyzing feeling that almost costed him his life... He thought of the way the truck drove down at Aya. It seemed that everything had been planned in advance. Someone was eyeing them, wanting them dead.

"Yes, everything is not over," Omi thought.

That very night, Manx was sitting by her computer dark and alone in the office, only illuminated by the lights from her screen. Her fingers were typing swiftly on the keyboard.

//To TS:

I have instructed the authority to cover up the truth of the truck accident to prevent unnecessary fears. Another thing, the WeiB boys are back.

-From Manx//

A finger pressed down.

- MESSAGE SEND -

to be continue....