Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Reality's Game ❯ Mission Underway ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I don't own Weiß Kreuz. It's owned by Takehito, Koyasu.

Notes: Italics are thoughts throughout this story.

Reality's Game

Chapter 4: Mission Underway

A young man of about twenty strode down the hallway of a virtually empty building. His boots clicked over the ground as he continued to walk and complain at the same time.

He had a reason for his complaints though, today had been his day off from work and he was tired, from staying up as long as he did.

A yawn rose to his lips, which he suppressed bitterly. Damn it, I just knew that something like this was going to happen. I should have stayed at home in bed, but noooo she just HAD to call me and ask me over. I curse my weakness sometimes.

A soft smile crept over his lips as he moved away from a tightly sealed door. He knew that his bitching was useless, no matter what time of day it was, he'd go running to his mother's house whenever she would need him. He loved her and at least owed her that much for the life she gave him.

Still though, he mused to himself. Whomever it was that called out tonight is going to get it from me when I find them. Being a security guard is hard enough as it is with plenty of sleep let alone getting none at all.

As his mind continued with it's running monologue, he made his way around his check out area occasionally stopping here and there to check on a door or to adjust his gun.

Everything seemed normal to him as he finished his pass and was about to check over it all again, when he came to a sudden stop.

A young man stood before him when previously the hall had been empty.

He recovered from the sudden shock of seeing him there and hoisted his pistol at the man. "Stop right there," he said in the most menacing voice he could muster. "This is a restricted area." He glared at the intruder.

The young man said nothing, just stared at the guard who stood in his way.

"Leave now or else." The security man commanded, while slowly knocking back the safety device.

Before anything else could happen between the two men, the security officer felt something wrap around his neck and began to tighten.

As it did so, the gun dropped from the man's hand. He slowly began to realize that he had been attacked from behind and was on the verge of being strangled to death. He began to struggle against the choking sensation.

It wasn't long before the body of the unknown guard stopped his useless struggle against the wire thin noose wrapped around his neck. He was nearly dead and his last thought before his conscious gave out was on how he cursed the person who called in sick on his night off.

--OO-

Yohji glanced at Ran, his eyebrow raised as the thin line of wire slid back into it's tiny compartment inside the watch no longer needed. "I could have sworn that our little Bombay said there would be no security here."

He looked down as the now stiff body fell to the ground. He had been shocked to come around the corner after splitting up with his leader to check out that level when he found Ran being held up at gunpoint by the now deceased guard. From his view point the man wasn't supposed to be there.

"He said lightly guarded, not unguarded. If you had paid attention, you would have known that. Did you see anyone else on this floor?" Ran asked him.

Yohji shook his head no. "Iie, he was the only one. The others…" he let that go with a shrug. He never liked doing anymore work than he had to and checking the other floors ahead of time was something to be looked up with extreme disgust.

"Hn, put him in one of the unlocked storage rooms. I don't want our presence to be known if anyone comes up to check on him."

"Really Abyssinian?! I can do that. I thought we could use him for decoration. You know, hang him up from the rafters over there, and liven the place up a bit. Plain white walls are just so boring after all." Yohji bit out sarcastically then bent over and lifted the dead guard at his torso. "You know," he grunted. "I could use your help here. It's hard to lift dead weight all by myself."

Ran nodded, grabbing the corpse by it's legs and soon the two of them stowed their deceased friend in a room, covering him with collapsed boxes and other things to give them more time.

"Now that is a color that's unbecoming for him." Yohji commented as he kicked one last box over the man's now blackened face. "Sometimes, I just hate using these wires. They may cause less mess but they don't help much with people's sex appeal."

Ran rolled his eyes, deciding not to dignify Yohji's idle comments with a response. It wouldn't have done him any good if he tried to anyhow. Yohji always seemed to have some sort of snappy come back no matter what the red head said.

When they finished disposing of the guard, they continued on their way to their target's level.

All in all Ran had to admit they were making good time on this mission. It took them less than ten minutes to reach the elevator from the floor that Yohji had killed the single guard at. Now all they had to do was wait a few minutes before both assassins loaded into the elevator and carried out with their true mission.

"Yohji, you do have the door stop right?" Ran asked mentally cataloguing the equipment, they needed and hopefully had on them. That is… if Yohji hadn't lost one of the main items.

The lanky assassin nodded and reached into one of his coat pockets. "Right here," he said, pulling out an ordinary wedge shaped doorstop. He held it up for Ran to inspect. "Bombay disappoints me sometimes. Do you know why? He supposedly is a humungous genius that could probably do just about anything technical related, but there are times when he's just too plain and simple. Like now, he gives us this thing to keep an elevator open; he could have given us something cooler. To fit in with my towering image, not this dinky little thing."

"Are you quite finished with your whining Kudoh?" Ran asked him.

"Oh yeah, one other thing. The boy won't go out and get himself laid by a hot woman, or hell a hot guy for that matter. Most kids are starting to swing that way now a days, so maybe he would enjoy that."

"Balinese…"

"What?"

"Shut up, it's time to start now."

"Yes sir!" Yohji flipped his fingers at Ran in a mocking salute.

Ran resisted the urge to roll his eyes heavenwards as he started towards the elevator. This was seriously turning into one of those days where he wished that he had brought Ken with him instead of the sexually promiscuous play boy, but he couldn't change it now since the mission was almost over with. It just didn't and wouldn't work that way. It never did really.

He gave an imperceptible shake of his head. Now wasn't the time to be worrying about such things. He had a mission to focus on, not question himself on whether he picked the right partner for this murder or not.

--OO-

The sound of computer keys clacking filled the night air. Omi sat in front of his tiny laptop, typing away, trying to hack his way into the companies main security system. So far, he was having little luck in accomplishing his part of the task. It seemed to the young man that every time he broke through one wall of security, another would instantly appear around him, blocking his way yet again from reaching his goal.

He let out a soft growl in irritation when yet another attempt to by pass the wall failed.

"Is everything alright Omittchi?" Ken asked looking over at the computer genius with concern. "Do you need any help?"

Omi shook his head. "Iie, I'm fine. This is just harder than what I expected it to be."

"What's going on?"

"Every time I break through one section of this thing, another encrypted firewall pops up blocking my way. It's actually getting harder to decode the password each time. Hell, I even tried to upload viruses that will eat away at the block, but they don't even work." He leaned back, cracking his back so he could relax easier. "I'm almost wanting to say that they changed the system around a bit to make it a partial A. I."

He glanced over at the brunet and caught the blank expression that lingered on Ken's face.

He sighed, "Never mind, Ken-kun."

"Ok. Hey, Omi?"

"Nani?"

"Do you want me to get anything for you? A drink, maybe?"

"Ken, we're on a mission."

"So?"

"Ok, let me ask you this. Would Aya-kun just let you walk off for a drink or anything else during a mission?"

"… No…"

"Alright then."

"… But Aya's not here right now."

"No, Ken."

"Fine…"

Omi went back to working on the system. Only ten minutes remained before everything was fully functional again and his teammates would be in trouble. He started to punch in a series of codes, praying under his breath as he did so, that they would work this time, when the entire screen went blank. Thinking he had failed again and been pushed out of the system, the words welcome started to scroll by in big red letters.

"YES!" Omi cried out. "I'm in!"

"Alright. I knew you could do it!" Ken congratulated the seventeen year old.

"Of course. Contact Abyssinian and see how he and Balinese are doing. I want to know if I broke into this system for nothing."

"Gotcha, I'll do that for you."

Omi sat back waiting for Ken to give him to go ahead and began thinking over the image of Manx that he saw earlier that night. "It must have been a figment of my imagination," he murmured to himself. "Either that or I'm finally losing it."

He shrugged and went back to waiting for Ken to call on the others.

A few minutes later, Ken walked back over to the hacked and tapped him on the shoulder lightly. "Ah, Omi… I can't get in touch with them."

"Why not?"

"They're not answering, although I don't know if they can."

"… Are you trying to tell me that they're dead, Ken-kun?"

"No, it's just they're not responding and there's a lot of background noise." Ken screwed his face up." I think they're fighting cause I can hear Aya's screams of Shi-ne."

"Why didn't you tell me that earlier?" Omi nearly yelled at the older boy.

"I was trying to…"

"I have to set the clock back now, or they're in big trouble… if they aren't already." Omi said scrambling to his computer.

As soon as he reached it, he quickly went back to work.

--OO-

Yohji glanced at his watch as he waited for the doors of the elevator to open. "It's almost time for the black out." He said casually. "Do you think we'll need Omi to extend it?" He asked of Ran, glancing over at the red head.

The two of them had made good timing so far in this little escaped that their employers had given them and to the blond it seemed as if they would have nothing but clear sailing for the rest of the mission. That suited him just fine, since it would mean that he would have the rest of the night to party, and even better end up waking in the morning next to a gorgeous woman to reacquaint themselves to one another.

"Hn, we'll wait and see if we need it or not. I'd rather not tell Bombay to not use it just yet. We don't even know what's going to be behind those doors when they open." Ran replied after a moments thought.

Yohji groaned. "Always wanting to be prepared for the worse, eh Aya? This place has so far been, as our resident hacker said, a piece of cake." He paused for a second as the elevator beeped letting the two men know that they were at the floor they wanted. "I mean come on, we're not going to get any resistance here…"

No sooner had those words left his lips, the elevator door opened.

A group of thirty or more men stood around. All wore serious expressions on their faces and carried with them even more serious looking guns, most of which were pointed at the two men standing in the elevator.

Yohji's jaw dropped in horror. "Oh shit," he cursed under his breath softly before glancing over at his leader.

Ran looked at Yohji. His face for a second holding a loud and clear look of "I told you so" before loosing all trace of emotion. "I'll cover you while you wedge the door open."

Yohji nodded and then watched as Ran practically leaped out of the elevator. His traditional cry of "Die!" poured out from his mouth as he did so. The guards didn't expect such a head on attack and two of them had fallen with Ran's masterful sword strokes, before they finally gathered their wits enough to fire on the two killers. That gave the playboy enough time to quickly bend down and shove the doorstop into place. He also had enough time to whisper a fast prayer, to whichever god was willing to listen, pleading for the wedge to stay where it was and not get kicked away by some errant foot or guard thinking he was smart. Then again, there never really were any smart guards in this type of field. They were all usually extremely stupid.

Those types however were the best. They never questioned their orders and did whatever they were told. After a while, they would develop a certain type of loyalty for their employers.

Soon a whole half an hour had passed by.

"Whose bright idea was it for us to accept this mission?" Yohji asked Ran sarcastically from behind their make shift barrier. They had dodged behind one as soon as they could. The heavy barrage of gunfire was something they couldn't evade without surely being hurt.

Ran grunted not trusting himself to speak as of yet. He had been unfortunate enough to be grazed by one of the stray bullets and he was in some pain.

It happened five minutes before hand; they had both been fighting when out of what seemed to be nowhere the bullet had hit his side. They didn't know how deep the thing had lodged into him but the red head knew one thing, it hurt like hell. It was also going to cause him to gain another scar. Oh well, he thought to himself with a faint wince, at least it has other scars to keep it company.

"Balinese," Ran said aloud.

"What?"

"How many more of them are out there?"

"Not too many, you took most of them out with that katana of yours."

"I need number, Kudoh. Saying, 'not many' doesn't help me much."

"Alright, alright, I'll look." He grumbled before turning to peer cautiously out from behind the barrier. "There are five left, two on the right, three on the left. What are you planning Aya?"

"To kill them…"

"Huh?"

"I'm going to distract them while you find the target and kill him."

"Are you crazy, Aya? If you don't bleed to death before hand you'll get killed with another bullet and it won't hit you in the side."

"So?"

"I'm not going to let you do that."

"It's an order, Balinese, no matter what we have to carry out this until the very end." Ran hoisted himself up with his sword. "When you see a break run for it and don't stop until you've reached the target." He jumped out and started another seemingly futile attack.

Yohji sighed, watching and waiting for an opening. When one finally made it self available, he took off, briefly looking behind his shoulder to see his still fighting comrade, hoping that by the time their target was gone, he wouldn't be as well.

_________________________________________________________ _____________________

Author's notes: Well now, I hope you guys enjoy this chapter. The mission is underway and it seems like it's been bad.

Schu: Let Ran die!!!!

… Maybe… maybe not we'll just have to see won't we?

Schu: … you suck

Nope!