Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ The Blackest Sea ❯ Strange Mood What Is The Cure ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
KD Sarge: You could help that by thinking you snuggle a spectre, not a... a... ew. *lol* Thanks: Schuldig needs a home. (Any volunteers? *g*)



Disclaimer: Weiss Kreuz belongs to Takehito Koyasu and Project Weiss.


Chapter Four: Strange Mood What Is The Cure



Farfarello was slowly making his way back to the house. Slowly, because some of the blood of the priest had splattered on his clothes, creating beautiful - if you didn't know what they were made of - flowers in full blossom. Deep red colour didn't look so red when he mostly hid on the alleys and waited in the darkness for by-passers to go. He didn't feel like killing anymore and just needed to wash himself clean of blood. It lost it fascinating glint so quickly on clothes...

His little trip had been delightful, oh so delightful. The church had been a pretty white little building with window paintings and all. He had circled around it for a while to make sure the priest was alone inside. Then he had burst in like a demon from Hell and told the man that his life had come to an end.

Which, of course, it hadn't done for the next couple of hours or so.

When he finally saw the house someone might have called 'home', he stopped to look at it suspiciously.

The lights were on - it was a late evening already - but something was very wrong, he could feel it in his bones. Crawford's black BMW was in the open garage, but so was Schuldig's old, red Audi. If telepath hadn't chosen to stay at home, which was rare by Farfarello's experience, he should have been gone already. The Irish man looked inside through one of the windows from the alley he was standing in, and saw Crawford looking at him with a slight frown on his face.

If the Oracle was waiting for especially him, something bad must have happened. Farfarello quickened his steps to long strides when he walked over the road and to the door that opened a second before he managed to touch it. As he had expected.

Nagi stood in front of him, looking up to him with tired eyes. His clothes were crumbled, as if he had been sleeping with them on. Which was strange; Farfarello couldn't remember the boy sleeping in the middle of the day ever.

"It's about time", Nagi said and made room for him to come in. When he had shrugged off the light coat he had had on, the boy gestured to follow him upstairs. "Crawford says we have to discuss about--" His voice caught in his throat and it took a moment to clear. "--things."

The man followed Nagi upstairs, wondering what was going on. A new mission? Something from Estet? From what he knew, it could have been anything.

xxx

"Don't joke with me."

The words left his mouth before he could stop them, but Crawford's stern look told him that the American was not joking at all. But it was so hard to believe that Schuldig was dead: if Farfarello had been asked who of them would die first, he would have, with no hesitation, said that he himself would die before all the others, either on a mission or on his own.

But Schuldig... He had always been a wild person, untouchable and fast like a flame in all it's beauty and destructing power. Farfarello couldn't believe that he was dead. It was the thing he had thought most unlikely to happen. Schuldig had practically avoided death at times.

Nagi made a small noise behind him and he turned to look at the telekinetic. The Japanese was leaning on the wall, his normal, cold mask on its place. Something in his behavior and looks, however, told the killer that he should indeed believe in what Crawford had said. The leader of Schwarz never lied to them, after all. It would have been... fatal.

"We need to change our mission tactics", the said man announced, breaking the uncomfortable silence. "Without a telepath we cannot trust to only our skills so much. There are surprises to come, even if I have Visions." His voice was toneless but tired, as if he was unhappy about the German's death, too.

"Aren't you going to request another telepath from Estet?" Farfarello tried the ice with a stick: he wasn't sure what Crawford would answer, but wasn't definitely expecting that small flicker of annoyance in brown eyes and almost a disappointed look.

"No", Crawford shook his head. "I have to report his death first and I haven't done it yet." He made a dismissive gesture with his hand, turning to search the papers on his desk, and Farfarello and Nagi left the room.

They walked downstairs in silence and continued their separate ways from the hall, Nagi going back to his room and Farfarello going to the bathroom. He stripped off his bloody clothes, tossed them to a basket and took a long shower, washing off the dirt, and thought. Crawford had told that Schuldig had died of an overdose: that had been another surprise, the man had usually been careful with his drugs. Had something happened when Farfarello had been in his room, planning on the next day?

The Irish thought of where Schuldig could be right now. Heaven was not a place for someone like the redheaded devil, but it didn't seem likely that he would have gone to Hell, either. Not if he had been asked about it, anyway.

The white-haired man shook his head to dry off his short hair and chase away the thoughts. He missed a partner-in-crime, somehow, but didn't have that empty feeling that usually haunted those who had lost a close someone. It was like Schuldig had never left the house.

Odd.

xxx

Nagi closed the door behind him and sighed, flicking on the lights with his telekinesis. Without a glance he switched on his CD-player and put in the debut album of some German techno band. The strong bass helped him to organize his thoughts and calm down. He hadn't been surprised at Farfarello's reaction - no one had really known how much the madman lived in his own worlds but Schuldig - but that didn't help the fact that he felt angry. Angry and disappointed.

How could have Schuldig been so stupid? Nagi sat down on his bed and stared at the opposite wall without really seeing it. He remembered the white sheets and white skin against them, orange hair the only colourful thing in his team mate's room. He had been really horrified before Crawford had blocked the view: it didn't matter how many dead people he had seen during his short life - dozens, with no doubt - but he had known Schuldig when he had been alive...

Dead was always different when it happened to people you knew.

A silent sob tried to rise in his throat but he forced it back. If the damn telepath hadn't been so damn stupid and taken too many pills - he damn well knew his limits! - he would be alive now. Schwarz wouldn't be one member down. Crawford wouldn't be more distanced than he had been in ages. And Nagi wouldn't feel so damn bad about it.

Techno bass beat alone in the room that was otherwise silent for a long time. The boy was laying on his bed, midnight-like eyes closed tightly, dreaming of better times. Slowly, almost unnoticed, another voice joined the beat. It hummed in low key, following the beat.

Nagi frowned a little when this new voice joined the music that was keeping his thoughts away and changed it. He tried to ignore it at first but gave up soon and sat up, opening his eyes and rubbing them tiredly. When he lifted his gaze up and let it drift in the room, silencing the music with a flick of his hand, he caught something familiar with his peripheral vision and turned his head to right.

Schuldig - it was somehow smudged at the edges, like a figure seen through dirty glasses, but Schuldig nonetheless - was sitting on his drawer. "Hi, chibi", he said and stopped humming, tilting his head a little and studying the boy's looks. "Not too happy, are you?"

Nagi did something he never had done before.

He screamed at the top of his lungs.


- end of chapter four.