Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ The Blackest Sea ❯ He's Got That Feeling of Impending Doom ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: WK belongs to Takehito Koyasu and Project Weiss.
Betaed by RedQueen.


Chapter Five: He's Got That Feeling Of Impending Doom

The German jumped hastily off of the worn out piece of furniture and took a quick step towards Nagi. Without noticing it, he passed through a strong, solid wall the telekinetic had placed in his way to stop him. "Quiet, Nagi, quiet,” he tried to hush the boy. "It's okay, it's just me." He stopped when he saw the look of utter horror on the pale face. "... Calm down, kiddo. Now." Sometimes strict orders found a way through the thickest fog of panic.

Now happened to be 'sometimes'. Nagi's eyes narrowed a little as he forced himself to calm down and take a deep breath. "You--"

Nagi’s wooden door burst suddenly open, revealing Farfarello standing in the doorway. Apparently he had heard Nagi's scream and come to the rescue. He had wrapped a white towel around his middle and was staring at Schuldig. Crawford was right behind him, a gun in hand. "Kid, what's--" Crawford's question was cut off in the middle when he saw what was going on in the room.

Schuldig raised his both hands in a defensive gesture. "No screams, please,” he said, sighing and shaking his head warily. "My head hurts already. I can explain, but I don't have that much time. They will come for me."

Crawford made his way past the stunned Irish man and stepped in front of the telepath. "What is going on, Schuldig?" His voice was demanding, though it shook a little. Your dead friends didn't come back every day. "Who will come?"

"Ah,” the man answered, "I'm not quite sure about that. And yes,” he said before the American had time to voice his question, "I am really dead. A... ghost of sorts. Listen, now." He waved his right hand dismissively, cutting off the older man. "I don't have time for questions, only answers." He quieted for a moment, considering the situation. "There is something after death, Brad." He grinned slightly, an abnormally grim look gracing his features.

The precog knew that the situation wasn't in his hands anymore. And he hated it dearly. "Really?" he asked, unconsciously understanding Schuldig's haste. "What?"

"A little simple guy called Daniel,” Schuldig said, his grin disappearing. "You- we get to choose because we are Talents. Three options, Brad, remember that: heaven or hell, fading and returning." He spoke with short sentences when he explained what had happened to him last night - had it only been that long ago? - and made sure that Crawford understood.

Nagi had crawled off his bed while the German talked and snatched his sleeve. "Why aren't there other talents wandering around?" he asked, being the smart little kid he was.

Schuldig looked sad. "There are rules if you return,” he said. "I have broken them by talking to you, so I will be faded."

"What does that mean?" Crawford cut in. The word had confused him earlier when Schuldig had used it and he needed to know what the exact meaning of it was.

"They will erase me from existence. Totally."

The answer left them all standing in silence, all pondering the redhead's answer. Finally Farfarello opened his mouth. "You said they will come for you,” he repeated Schuldig's earlier words, a deadly purr in his voice.

It didn't escape any of the others, when they glanced at the madman, that he was playing with a knife. God only knew where he had got it from. No one had any doubt what Farfarello had in mind, it was plainly written on his face and in his stance.

Someone sighed sadly behind them and one yellow eye went impossibly wide. "Lost at such a young age... There are people who pray for your soul every day, my son."

Schwarz turned as one and saw an old man with long, gray hair and brown eyes standing next to Nagi's bed in a white robe. He was tall and gentle-looking and eyed stunned Farfarello with a sort of helplessness. Nagi was the first to understand who he was and he quickly placed a wall between the man and Farfarello, before the Irish was clear-headed enough to move.

The grey-haired stranger nodded at Nagi and then turned to look at Schuldig, who was watching him carefully. "I think we had a discussion about this."

"We?" the German spat out. "But you aren't- you're not- you were, weren't you?" His blue eyes turned hard and got a cold gleam. "It must have been hard to let one sinner escape the depths of Hell."

"I never wanted anyone to go in there,” the man corrected him calmly. "But put aside your objections, now, for we must leave. You have broken the rule you knew so well, and you know the consequences." He extended out his hand, palm turned outwards. It wasn't an offer to take or leave, not really, but an offer to take or to be taken. He was willing to play nice if Schuldig was.

Schuldig wasn't: he shook his head, fiery locks shaking wildly, and took a step back. "No,” he said, though he knew that if the man really wanted it, he would have no choice. "I don't want to! I'm too keen on living!"

The man just sighed again and his voice took a harder tone when he spoke. "Just come, Schuldig." 'Schuldig' was what the others heard - the German himself heard something else entirely. "It will be easier that way."

"No." But it wasn't the telepath who answered, it was Nagi. The boy was standing beside Schuldig with a stubborn look in his eyes. He was still gripping a long sleeve, knuckles turned as white as the thin fabric. "No. I won't let you." His eyes glowed eerily and his dark hair shifted in the air around him, the smell of electricity strong: all signs of him gathering his power. "He was gone once."

"Nagi's right,” Crawford said calmly from the doorway, as if he was discussing politics or weather. "My team is one member down, sir. That is not acceptable." He adjusted his glasses with his index finger; light glinted off them. "I must request that you let him stay." He glanced at Farfarello. "Or I have to use other ways to make that happen. It would be difficult, I have no doubt, but I have my ways."

Farfarello just grinned darkly. "To thee I have lost enough people whom I consider worth keeping,” he said, his only eye sharp and clear. "I shall not lose the Mindbreaker, too." He held his knife in a seemingly relaxed grip, but he was ready for an attack at any second.

"Perhaps you could make an exception?" Crawford suggested casually; a very determined human rising up to meet his Creator.

Schuldig could only stare at his team, utterly confused but feeling pleasantly warm inside. He looked hesitantly at the being he had never expected to meet personally.

Brown eyes were serious when the old man looked at Schuldig. "There are no exceptions,” he said. He turned to look at Nagi, at Farfarello, and finally at Crawford, as to make sure that they understood his words. "None." Then he snapped his fingers, the sound resonating through the whole room.

All existence stopped for a second that lasted all eternity and beyond.



- end of chapter five.