Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ The Blackest Sea ❯ On the Road We Call Alive ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Hm, what to say? This is the last chapter of my fanfic, “The Blackest Sea”, and I hope you like it. Thanks to all the people who have reviewed. ^_^ I just have one thing to tell you before we move on to the fic: all the chapter names (including this) have been lines from one song: can you guess what it is? Without Google? ^_~

Disclaimer: I think you all know this already? Okay, okay, they're not mine. A guy called Takehito Koaysu owns them.
Betaed by RedQueen.


Chapter Six: On The Road We Call Alive



Schuldig follows Crawford with his eyes when he works. The German is perched comfortably on his worktable and swings his legs back and forth once in a while. His usual smirk is in place, even if his eyes are thoughtful.

The precog ignores him. He has a report to do; their latest mission wasn't as successful as it should have been, and the Elders want to know why. Crawford knows Schwarz might be punished - if he isn't reassuring enough. He re-reads the text he's written and frowns a little. It's not one of his best explanations, but it is enough.

He has seen it.

The German on his table doesn't move when he gets up and faxes the report. Schuldig just turns his head, keeping Crawford in his sight.

When the report is faxed, Crawford puts the original in a folder where all the other failure reports are.

There aren't many. Schwarz is a good team.

"Hey Brad."

The American doesn't turn to look at Schuldig but puts the folder back in its place on the bookshelf. He has told Schuldig several times to use his surname and he's not going to repeat himself anymore. After a few minutes of cold, uncomfortable silence Schuldig sighs and gives up.

"Crawford." The telepath sounds oddly weary, as if he was awfully tired.

Crawford answers just out of curiosity, still staring at the folder. "Yes?"

"Ever wondered what comes after death?"

The taller man snorts softly - he isn't surprised to hear the question, not really. It's something Schuldig often thinks about.

But he is, however, surprised at a sudden feeling of uneasiness and worry. He is going to respond indifferently but instead hesitates a little - a flash of a grin, blood-freezing - and gives Schuldig an honest answer. "Sometimes, if I have been bored out of my mind. Which luckily doesn't happen too often. You?" He turns around slowly.

The German is obviously surprised at his blunt confession. "... Yeah,” he manages, recovering quickly. "But I haven't come up with anything worth waiting for." He grins, eyes shiny and bright and blue, full of life and almost beautiful. "I'm going clubbing. I'll be back before morning."

Crawford's eyes go glassy for a second. He blinks for a little while and sits down on his office chair. "Don't make much noise upon your return. Nagi will be annoyed."

With a mischievous look, Schuldig nods obediently. "Yes, mom." The American's glare doesn't have an effect on him. "Will you miss me while I’m gone?” the telepath asks from the door, halfway out already.

"Not that much." Honey-brown eyes are going through papers on the wooden desk, firmly staying on the white sheets as Crawford answers casually, tone carefully emotionless. He glances over the rim of his glasses, seeing an odd look on Schuldig's thin face.

It's half his usual, smug grin, and half a small genuine smile. "Goodnight, Brad,” the redhead wishes before disappearing, purposely breaking the unspoken rules.

~Goodnight~, Crawford thinks when he has heard the front door slam closed and is pretty sure that Schuldig has gone far away enough. Somehow he still gets a feeling that the telepath has caught his thought and is laughing at him.

It doesn't really matter.



- end of chapter six and 'The Blackest Sea'