Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Tying the Knot ❯ The night before... and the morning after. ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Tying the Knot
Author: Seph*
Rating: T (I think.. o_O;;)
Warnings: yaoi, comedy (in future chapters), romance…
Disclaimers: Weiss Kreuz does not belong to me…
Author's notes: Just an idea that popped into my head while I was procrastinating from doing a major paper for school… I hope I can pull it off. :) Crawford's POV… please enjoy. :)
 
 
 
THE NIGHT BEFORE
 
I looked at the amber liquid which barely filled the glass which I was holding… this was my fifth glass of whiskey tonight I think. He's late… I looked at my watch for the nth time, 12:15... he was always late… but never THIS late—he had asked me to meet him here at 10. I felt horrible inside, I couldn't figure out if I was pissed off, really mad, angry, sad, worried, anxious… or very hurt—it was as if a whole flurry of emotions were battling inside my chest. I cringed at the thought that he wouldn't show up… he had never stood me up—never in all three years of being together… and not having him here now (and not having visions of him either) was making me feel ill.
 
I heaved a deep breath and tried to distract myself from the feelings and thoughts that were starting to plague my mind. I signaled to the bartender to give me another glass… he looked at me questioningly as if to say that I had had enough—I narrowed my eyes at him, and I got my whiskey not long after. The blaring music was starting to make my head hurt, and so did the lack of lighting and the perpetual atmosphere of smoke which enveloped places like this. I felt anger resurface again… why did I even agree to meet in a place like this… why have I been agreeing to meet in clubs like these for the past three years? I never even went into any of these on my own accord… well not until we—never mind.
 
I felt the inner breast pocket of my coat to find something to amuse myself with… nothing but a single cigarette. I wasn't a very big fan of smoking… but what the heck… I wasn't a big fan of anything that I was being subjected to right now. I put the cigarette between my lips and felt my pockets for a lighter… nothing. Tsk, I cursed under my breath. “Need a light?” A strangely familiar voice broke me from my bitter rambling. I lifted the cigarette towards the man, not bothering to look up. I slipped my now lighted cigarette between my lips and took a long drag from it, I let out a long sigh… I never knew a nicotine fix could be this good.
 
The stranger took the bar stool next to mine and ordered something that had the words “sex” and “beach” in it… I wasn't paying enough attention to catch it—but I remembered him ordering that drink once… long ago. I bit my lip and looked at my watch again—12:45. I felt an unfamiliar feeling crawl up to my chest, then it began to tighten and I couldn't breathe all of a sudden. I shut my eyes tightly then took another long drag from my cigarette. I opened them again and shifted my eyes to the stranger who had taken the seat next to me and I stalled a bit when I recognized him, “Schuldig?”
 
The German turned to look at me and broke into a grin, but I saw that he was surprised as well. “Crawford! Didn't expect to see you in a place like this… I never thought you were into the whole bar-club thing.” The red head elbowed me in a teasing manner before adding, “You go clubbing often or is it just for kicks?” I shook my head and showed him my empty glass, “I just come here to drink…” He nodded but still looked doubtful. I checked my watch yet again, 1:00. I looked around, squinting in the darkness… where was he? “If I didn't know better, I'd say you were waiting for someone.” Schuldig drawled mockingly as he downed another shot. I stiffened up slightly—what was I thinking??! If he came and Schuldig saw him… who knows what would happen! I cleared my throat and shook my head, “No… I was just about to leave—it's late.” The red-head tilted his head to one side to look at me and said, “Ok, just wait a bit. One more shot and I guess I'll be heading home too. I've been to three bars already and still no good lay—it must not be my lucky night.”
 
We stood up and left the bar together, Schuldig rambling on about how Japanese girls can be so clingy after casual sex. I shuddered, the idea of casual sex made me sick at the thought of sexually transmitted diseases. Before I knew it, we were standing outside our apartment with Schuldig literally pounding on the door screaming, “NAGI OPEN THIS DOOR RIGHT NOW!!” I cleared my throat as I pulled out my keys and opened the door myself, “don't make such a racket, Nagi has school tomorrow—he needs his sleep.” Schuldig chuckled, “You're still such a mother Brad~ you should get married!” I glared at that last comment but it was done half-heartedly, for all his smart-aleck comments, Schuldig has always been my best friend. I felt him give my shoulder a gently squeeze and I looked up at the German who gave me a rare genuine smile, “if you need to talk Brad… you know where I am.” I gave him a weary smile and literally trudged to my room.
 
I was tired… too tired. I just took my coat off and had enough sense left to hanger it back up on the closet before I collapsed on my bed. I wasn't physically tired… I had just been sitting and drinking all night… waiting for 3 hours in a damn bar only to be— tsk. I buried my face in the pillow, only remembering to remove my shoes before I completely surrendered to exhaustion.
 
I faintly remembered Schuldig saying something about not sleeping when you're in a foul mood or harboring bad/evil/bitter/generally negative feelings because they cause nightmares… I shifted in my sheets—I guess I'd be having a nightmare of epic proportions with all the negative energy I'm harboring right now for a certain someone who didn't show. I grit my teeth and a single tear escaped the corner of my eyes and slid down my cheek—I shut my eyes tighter as I welcomed sleep's welcoming embrace.
 
= = = = = = = = = =
 
AND THE MORNING AFTER.
 
I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing persistently. I frowned and shifted in my bed… I had a headache and was not in a talking mood right now. The ringing stopped, only to begin again… I opened my eyes and looked at the time, 10 am??! I shot up and looked at myself in disgust, I had fallen asleep in my suit and had woken up late! I tried to remember what had happened last night but the insistent ringing of the phone prevented me from doing so. Pissed off, I answered the phone, “hello?” which sounded more irritated than I intended. I was supposed to apologize, but the voice from the other end nearly made my blood freeze over.
 
“Hello? Brad is that you?”
 
THAT voice… I gripped the receiver tightly… so tight that I felt as if I could crush it right there and then with my bare hands. I opened my mouth to reply but I found that I couldn't bring myself to say anything… I just felt my chest cringe like it had last night… I wanted to grind the receiver to pieces… but at the same time I wanted to continue listening to his voice. I clenched my teeth… but I still did not say anything.
 
“Brad… please… is that you?”
“What do you want?” I bit out, resisting the urge to shout at him.
“Brad… I-I'm sorry I didn't show last night… I—“
“You stood me up.” It was a statement, an accusation, a crime.
“I didn't… I mean, I didn't mean to—I was… I had an emergency.”
Bastard. “You don't sound hurt.” Liar.
“Not that kind of an emergency… Brad, look—just listen to me please?”
I paused, “I'm listening…”
I heard him release a sigh, “I know we've been really busy and it's been so long since we've seen each o---
“WAIT.” I cut him off and covered the mouthpiece just as Nagi entered the room after a soft knock.
“Yes? What is it Nagi?” I tried to keep my voice as normal as I could.
“We have a meeting with Takatori at 11… should I take care of Farfarello or should I let Schuldig do it?”
“Have Schuldig do it… and I'll be right down.” I nodded to the boy and he left as quietly as he had come in.
I took my hand off the mouthpiece and said hurriedly, “I have to go… I have business to attend to.”
“Wait—don't hang up yet!” I could hear the urgency in his voice.
“What is it?” I wanted to sound more irritated than concerned.
“I—I can't explain… when can I see you?”
Not again… “I don't know…”
“Please… I'll show up… I promise.”
“Café Paris, 8 o'clock tonight. I have to go, bye.”
 
I quickly set down the phone, not waiting for his reply before I made my way to the bathroom to get ready. We never had long phone calls… I never had phone calls from people other than Takatori or other clients—it would not be good if the others thought something was out of place.
 
I took a shower, put on a newly pressed suit and buffed leather shoes before heading to the common room where the rest of the team were waiting. I greeted Nagi and Schuldig with a slight nod and looked to check on Farfarello. Surprisingly, he was just sitting on the couch… looking somewhat dazed. “Is he alright?” I inquired the two others, Nagi gave Schuldig an accusing look which the German countered with a defensive, “I didn't do anything!!” I looked back at Nagi and asked, “is Farfarello alright?” Nagi looked at me then looked down at his shoes which fidgeted restlessly… I waited for about a minute before Nagi looked back up at me with big brown eyes as he bawled in a very child-like (and in a very non-Nagi-ish way) “It was Schuldig! He made me do it! He made me inject Farfarello with all those sedatives! I didn't want to!! I really didn't but… but he--!!” The Japanese pointed an accusing finger at the German who in turn argued back. “I didn't tell you to do it! You wanted to do it first! I told you to hold him down while I unbuckled the straight jacket! It's your fault!”
 
“No it's not!”
“Yes it is!”
“No it's not!
“Yes it is!”
 
I rubbed my temples with my fingers before calming both of them down with a sharp, “Enough.” “Nagi, you will come with me—as for you Schuldig, watch Farfarello here at home because I certainly cannot bring him there looking like that… and I cannot leave him alone here or with Nagi.” Schuldig said a string of things which I assumed to be a string of German curses. I took my keys from the table and closed the door behind Nagi and me.
 
It's going to be a looooooooong day…
 
 
 
T B C ~
 
 
I know I said it had comedy… but this first chapter (and maybe the next one) is really more on the serious side. This is because I don't want it to be (too) AU—though in the future it definitely will be. Haha. Hope you enjoyed it. :)
 
Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. ^^
 
Seph*