Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ Drifters ❯ ...Partners? ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Kuro raised her head towards the moon, eyeing it warily. "Tomorrow night's a full moon." Kiba lifted his head also and watched it. "We should rest during the day tomorrow and run under the cover of darkness." Tsuki grinned excitedly. "Great. I love running through the thickly treed forest, my pads hitting the earth floor, wolves howling in unseen nooks, the stars dotting the dim sky, the moon's silver rays falling upon my glossy white coat--" "It's not so glossy after rolling around in the snow, is it, Tsu?" "I wouldn't say yours is exactly fur coat material either, Kuro," she shot back. "And I wasn't done. Ahem. The wind rushing through my fur, my silhouette seemingly flying across the pines, male wolves howling for me to join their pack--" Kuro burst into a fit of laughter before her companion could finish. "Yeah, like any males want to spend the rest of their lives with someone who rolls around in the snow with puppies." "Well, last year two males fought over me and ended up killing each other so I ended up mateless." "Ha ha. Five males fought over me." "Three. The other two thought you were alpha female. Oh wait, I forgot, you told them you were alpha female." Kuro and Tsuki began a glare war, and the other four just stared. ((the face! o.O)) "Shouldn't we get going if we want to find shelter by nightfall?" Toboe pointed out. Tsuki finally broke the stare. "Tobi's right. We should go now." She broke into a trot. Kiba followed closely. "That was... interesting," he commented. Tsuki snorted. "The female Drifters were always competitive when it came to mates, because Yumi, the alpha female, was always getting on our cases about being right of age and blah blah blah." She slowed her trotting for a moment. "I really miss Yumi." Kiba nudged her head with his nose. "Hey. If it's any consolation, I don't have a mate either." "I can see that," Tsuki laughed. "No females in your pack. Or are you all... you know... partners?" She laughed at the look on his face. "I'm just joking, jeez." "I know you were. That was just... unexpected." "Still, it strikes me as odd that you, Tsume and Hige aren't mated yet." "Well, our kind isn't really that common." "Hmm. I suppose you're right. Not many wolves at all left in the world. We may be last generation, considering our scarcity and the people trying to wipe us out now that our presence is known." Kiba agreed sadly, his head lowered slightly. Tsuki nudged him. "Don't worry. It's just a thought." She smiled reassuringly. "I hope so." They both lapsed into silence, the light wind whistling as it snaked between the trees. Kiba's head snapped up. "Look, there's a cave." Tsuki nodded and sprinted towards it. "This will make a fine camp." She approached the mouth cautiously and sniffed it. "Looks like an old bear cave, but seems it's been unoccupied for months. They've either moved or become lovely fur coats. Of course, if we're not careful, our fate may be the latter." She glanced at Kiba. "Don't bristle like that, I was just kidding." The rest of the pack soon caught up with the white wolves, peering into the cave. Kuro entered and plopped onto the ground. "I'm pooped. Who's going to hunt?" "I'll do it," Tsuki volunteered, raising her neck proudly. The four males eyed her warily. She shot them a look. "For all of us." Kiba nodded his head in response, while Toboe and Hige panted excitedly. She took off towards the darkest shadows of the woods, her distant form disappearing. "I sure hope she comes back with alot of food!" Toboe chirped, his tongue lolling out the side of his mouth. "No need to worry. Tsuki is an agile hunter, she knows where to look for prey. Soon your taste buds will be satisfied, your stomachs filled, rest assured." Hige's mouth watered. "I can't stand it any longer! I wanna go t--" Tsume bit into the scruff of his neck before he could take off in Tsuki's direction. "Sorry, fatso, but you're gonna have to wait like the rest of us." "Lemme go!" Hige cried, trying to break free from the older wolf's grasp. He did so, and the tan wolf stumbled onto the cold, stone floor. He growled angrily and sprang from his hind legs in an attempt to pounce on Tsume, but he was stopped by Kuro shoving him roughly in the side. "Stop that!" she barked, her icy eyes fierce. Hige looked at the ground in shame. "Hunger leads to insanity at times for a wolf," Kiba mumbled, staring out at the endless trees. Kuro glanced at him warily. "Sometimes... desperation," he finished. Hige snorted. "I'm not desperate enough to eat a live wolf." "I don't believe in feeding on other wolves," Kuro said rather sharply, crossing her now human arms over her chest. "Our pack did it all the time, and even Tsuki tried it once. She said it tasted good, but the guilt it caused her made the meat bitter." Toboe shuddered slightly. "I've never done it myself, but now I don't plan to." "You'll never have to," Kuro snapped. "Your packmates WILL hunt for you, you will hunt yourself, even Tsu and I will! We will starve to death before we feed on the flesh of another wolf!" "You've been spending too much time with humans," Tsume grumbled. "You'd eat a dead kitten but never a wolf." Kuro glowered at the leather-covered wolf. "You think you know me, Claw, but you don't. So stop acting like it!" Tsume snorted and crossed his arms over his chest. "You're right. I could never understand you retards."

IC: *sniffle* Me no wetawd!

Ashley: *pats IC's back* There there, Chi-chan. It's alright.

Koyume: R&R. Please? *kitty eyes*
Converting /tmp/phpt3AK5M to /dev/stdout