Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ Haven Reawaken: Wolf's rain/ Restart ❯ Desperado ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Desperado


Kiba ran lightly through the alleyways, trying to track down the young Toboe by scent. The gruesome scene from earlier haunted his mind, and he questioned the sincerity of the wolfess that had led him here.

'She pushed that girl over the ledge..and he just accepted it. He didn't chase after her or anything.'Kiba thought to himself, staring straight towards the end of the alleyway. His mind was overflowing with questions and riddles.

Why couldn't he just understand?

What was his purpose here,

and why did she care for their memories?

Toboe's scent shifted away suddenly, and Kiba paused.

"He's changed direction? But the scent stays here for a while.."Kiba whispered, frustrated to the breaking point.

"Toboe!...Toboe!" Kiba called, turning and looking around.

"He's left..."An elderly voice spoke to him, Kiba spinning around to see an old lady sitting in a rocking chair on the porch of her house.

Kiba gave her an odd look, approaching warily.
"Are you his granny?"He asked, and she smiled, nodding.

"So Toboe speaks of me sometimes. That's nice. He's such a nice boy."She said softly, and Kiba sat on her steps, looking down at the puddles of water that settled in the streets.

"So, where are Toboe's parents?"He asked, and she continued to rock back and forth in her chair, looking down at her hands, folded on her lap.

"I found Toboe as a child, outside of the city. He was abandoned, or lost I suppose."She said solemnly. "He was always such an affectionate young boy, but we're both getting older, and my age can't handle his kind of youth. All he wants to do is go and explore, but I can't go with him..so I can't protect him. If anything, all this time, he's been protecting me. I wish I could truly be a mother to him.."

Kiba looked up at her quietly, then stood up. "I..i'm looking for Toboe. I might have some answers to his past..and my own."

She looked up at him, still smiling softly. "Oh? You can help my little Toboe? Yes, you two do look around the same age..though, you don't look too much alike, and you could be a little older. There is something about you that is familiar to Toboe though, something in your eyes."

"Do you know where he is?"Kiba asked, and the old lady sighed, shaking her head slowly.

"I'm afraid not.."She spoke weakly. "He came by not too long ago with a kitten in his arms that he had found on the streets. He begged me to let him take care of it, but he can barely remember to feed himself, let alone another living creature. I refused it, and he left, sad and angry."

Kiba looked down, rubbing his head.

"I'm sorry I couldn't help you, but I can tell you that he likes to go and run around at the old elementary school that they shut down a few years back. It was his old school, and he like to go and revisit some of his old memories.."She offered, and Kiba nodded to her.

"Thank you, granny.."He said and she waved somewhat, watching as Kiba left. He didn't know where any school was, but he could definantly track Toboe's scent, and any visible landmarks would make it easier to find him.

Kiba continued to run, non-stop through the streets of Freeze, trying to locate the kid. It was taking a ridiculously long time to find one kid..then again, he could be a wolf too.

---

Tsume rested in an old waterway, panting and rubbing his head. Things were happening way too quickly, and he needed to catch his breath and hopefully figure things out.

But the grotesque images of Liana falling to her doom continued to replay and replay in his mind, torturing him with images of the thing he saw in Liana's eyes. That dog..no, that wasn't the word for it.

"Wolf.."Tsume breathed, staring out blankly. Fangs were wrapped around Liana's wrist, not Tsume's fingers. He tasted blood, and the visual of teeth tearing oh so slightly through her wrist, enough to draw blood, flashed back and forth behind his eyes.

"Damnit!"The man shouted, slamming his clenched fist into the wall behind him.

Those violet eyes..

Tsume suddenly remembered the cause of all this. Her..That girl who balanced so nimbly on the edge of the bridge, without a care. Her haunting eyes.

He stood, drawing a blade from the inner breast of his jacket.

"She's to blame..that thing is what knocked Liana over the edge. She can explain, and either way, she'll pay."He muttered, and stumbled out from the waterway onto the back streets, determined to hunt her, it, whatever that was, down. He snuck up to his motercycle, grabbing his helmet and putting it on quickly, then taking off before he could be recognized and blamed for Liana's death.

---

"I'm sorry...I wish I could take care of you.."A young man spoke softly, towards what oddly appeared to be a box before you saw the fluffy white head of a kitten pop up and mew sweetly at him.

Toboe smiled at it, stroking through it's fur, before sighing and looking away.
He noticed something odd; the boy from before, high-tailing it down the sidewalk across the street.

"Oh wow..I hope he's not in trouble."Toboe whispered, before looking down at the kitten in the box before him. He frowned, gave it one last pat on the head, then stood up and followed Kiba as closely as he could.

He didn't get very far, before running into someone on the street. Toboe stumbled over and landed on the pavement, then sat up, stunned.
"Hey kid, watch where you're going.."A voice spoke, seriously but softly.

"Oh.."Toboe mumbled, then looked up and beamed. "Hige!"

The young man looked down over his hotdog, which was halfway in his mouth, then grinned.

"Tohboe, guhd to shee you!"Hige tried to say through his hotdog, Toboe shaking his head.

The wild-haired young man ravenously finished off the rest of his hotdog, then stuck out a hand to help up Toboe, pulling him up.

"What's the rush kid?"Hige asked, and Toboe pouted. The two had known eachother for a while, considering Hige used to seriously tease Toboe alot while he was helping out his Granny. Hige knew Toboe hated being called kid, even when he WAS a kid, so he called him that all the time. Over time, they somehow managed to bond, having some strange instinctive friendship. It was only coincidence the two, both orphans as far as they knew, had met. Hige had been living off the streets, and was doing a pretty good job at it considering he was now just barely overweight.

Toboe looked around, and could barely see Kiba further down the road.
"That guy is running, and looks like he's in trouble. I met him earlier, asleep in an alley. Something tells me he's not too different from us."Toboe muttered enough for Hige to hear, but Hige just shook his head.

Hige sighed. "You look too deeply into things kid. Maybe he's just running for his health, got tired and fell asleep in the alley, and then realized he was late for something. Seriously, everything's some kind of omen to you Toboe."

Crossing his arms, Toboe gave Hige and unforgiving look, and Hige sighed.
"Fine, if it makes you feel better, we'll follow the guy and see what his issue is."Hige groaned, making Toboe smile.
Both took off after Kiba, Toboe determined and Hige looking seriously not into it.

They kept up with him as best they could before he stopped abruptly, then slowly turned into an alleyway.

Toboe made an attempt to cross the street to Kiba's side while it was uncrowded, but was nearly mowed down by a motercycle.

"Hey watch it you little brat!"The guy driving shouted, Toboe jumping backwards. Hige was less frightened though, and shook his fist at the cyclist.

"Why don't you watch it buddy, people are walking here!"Hige shouted, but the cyclist just glared menacingly from behind his helmet.
The man just happened to be Tsume, and he drew his blade, causing Hige and Toboe to back up.

"I don't have time for you two.."Tsume muttered after collecting his wits. He looked around, and then glanced down the alleyway Kiba had taken.

Tsume stared for a moment, pulling off his helmet. "Is that.."he stammered for a moment, then glared.

"Woah, does this guy have a beef with your friend?"Hige asked, and Toboe shrugged, running after him anyways. Hige rubbed his neck, wary of getting drawn into some kind of fight, but followed Toboe.

Kiba stood silently in the middle of the alleyway, before kneeling down, staring at something on the ground.

"Hey..where'd that white dog go?! It was here just a second-huh?"Tsume wavered in and out of focus, and every time he did, there was either a white dog, or Kiba in the same place.

Tsume paused, then stared at what Kiba was locked on, Toboe and Hige running up behind them.

Hige looked at them all, shoving his hands in his sweater pockets, inching around Tsume to take a look, Toboe right behind him.

Pausing, Hige kneeled down, then looked up at them.

"It's...a flower?"