Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ Haven Reawaken: Wolf's rain/ Restart ❯ Repent / Part onE ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Repent, Part onE

The dark city streets held no memory from Toboe and Hige as they walked side by side towards Granny's house.

Tsume had disappeared into the night in his wolf form to settle his dues, and Hige merely wanted to walk down the cold streets one last time.

Toboe, on the other hand, had someone to say goodbye to.

"I'm going to miss her...Granny. She was so kind to take care of me. And all I did was hassle her."Toboe spoke softly, icy cold tears welling into his eyes.

Hige felt for him, but was unaccustomed to sympathy. He made a motion that made it seem like he might have hugged Toboe, or at least squeeze his shoulder, but Hige could only bring himself to pat the pup's back.

"I..." Hige began, dropping his gaze towards the pavement.

"I care for her too Toboe. Don't forget, she kinda took care of us both. We were like brothers under her wing. I'm going to miss her too, but it's almost good for her that she'll have her space. She'll worry, but Granny trusts you." Hige said, shoving his hands in the pockets of his old yellow sweater.

"You're just not the runt I use to pick on. Or the runt she had raised...you're too big for her Toboe."

Toboe understood completely, but it didn't stop him from bolting forward and down the alleyway. That very alleyway where just this gloomy afternoon, his life changed. That alleyway where he had met Kiba.

Would it be different if Toboe hadn't met Kiba? Or even Angel?

Would he be more inclined to stay with Granny?

Or would he have left, like he had wanted to, and explored the world that he had never gotten to know?

The world rushed by him blindly. He sobbed into the wind. He wished he could just run forever, and then wake up to find that it was all a dream.

All the questions in Toboe's mind were silenced as he realized he had far passed the aqua duct, and was only a house away from his Granny's.

Hige wasn't far behind, but decided to remain in the shadows of the alleyway. He left it to Toboe to settle things for both of them, even if Hige wasn't mentioned.

Hands shaking, Toboe reached for the handle of the old, wood door. Slowly he turned, pulling it open and wincing at the creak of the rusted hinges, expecting something cruel to lay before him and quell his longing to stay.

Nothing had changed though. The logs in the fireplace burned and wasted away into cinders beneath the flames. The light from the fire cast a glow onto the wooden floor, over the rug that Toboe so long to sit on. And if he were to sit, it would be right next to the silent rocking chair, where Granny sat.

"Toboe, you're home. That's good..."Granny spoke sweetly, and the pup did all he could not to cry. It was those words that she spoke every day after he came home from wandering the city. Those words he had wished she wouldn't speak that moment he entered.

"Granny!"Toboe shouted, running in front of her and throwing himself down before her, resting his head on the soft fabric of her dress.

"Granny..." Toboe spoke, his voice trembling. "I have to go. I have to go and help-"

"It's okay, Toboe. I understand dear." Granny said, and Toboe looked up at her with confused, teary eyes.

She smiled down at him, and in the light of the fire he had noticed how old she truly was. It was something he had never paid any attention to during the many years of his stay.

"You...Granny..."Toboe uttered, and she hushed him.

"Yes Toboe...I'm very old aren't I? I don't have much time left." Granny spoke, and Toboe released the levee that was his pride, letting his tears fall without remorse.

The old woman stroked her weak fingers through Toboe's soft hair, and he could only whimper against her.

"I love you Toboe. You were the son I never had. And I wish I could live forever, just you and me, in this house. Neither of us would grow old, and I could care for you for the rest of eternity."She said, smiling.

"But you know that's not our reality. Even if you didn't go, I would have to leave you soon. And it's better you have someone who can care for you, and who can keep up with you."

Her words stung Toboe, in the sheer mention of her not being included in the happy memories to come.

"Toboe..."

The pup looked up at her, and she held out her hand weakly.

Instinctively, he reached up and held hers, firmly but not enough to harm her.

"Take these..."She said, reaching into her pocket and pulling out three silver bands.

"I tried to give these to you earlier, but you were so reckless and young, I kept finding them all over the house." Granny said with a cheery laugh that warmed Toboe's heart.

She slipped the silver bands onto Toboe's right wrist, and he held her withered hand in both of his.

"I'll never lose them. I'll never let them go Granny!"He swore to her, and she smiled.

"Such a nice boy you are, my Toboe."She whispered, planting a kiss onto his temple, then leaning back into her rocking chair.

"Goodbye Granny." Toboe muttered weakly, standing. Granny smiled at him, rocking back and forth in her chair.

"Goodbye Toboe. I'll see you some other time."

Toboe smiled, biting his lip and pushing himself out the door. He stopped in front of the house, listening as the door shut behind him. The tears again flowed freely, but he didn't allow himself to stop. Toboe kept walking, heading towards the alleyway and walking straight past Hige.

Hige glanced at the cold exterior of the house, grinning and turning to follow Toboe.