Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ Into the Abyss ❯ The Ambush ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Ambush

"Amazing maneuvering!" said Haru to Victor. "Don't give me too much glory, you were incredible as well Haru", said Victor. "Yes, if we keep this up, we might be able to beat one of the grand masters!" boasted Haru in a joking manner. The two Friends then began a leisurely pace back to The Facility of Defense Arts. They chatted happily, proud of their improvement and skill.

The two were not far from the school when Haru first heard the noise. His face crinkled in confusion.

"What's wrong?" asked Victor in a concerned tone. "I don't know, it sounds like far off thunder, but the sky couldn't be clearer." Haru said. Still confused, he looked towards the direction the odd sound was coming from.

"Oh…My….God…." whispered Victor. What Victor saw was one of the most disturbing sights he had ever seen before. Then Haru lurched to the side.

"That horrid stench!!" yelled Haru. "What the hell is it?!" he said through gasps.

"It's goblins……" whispered Victor. Haru stared at him in disbelief. After all! Goblins haven't been seen for centuries!

"There are thousands upon thousands of them Haru." whispered Victor. As the thundering sounds of hordes of goblins grew, the other students and teachers began to notice. They stepped outside and looked curiously out of windows. "RUN!!!" Haru and Victor screamed in unison. They were skilled warriors, but no one could hope to survive against the force of goblins before them.

"Get out while you still can!" screamed Haru. He grabbed Victor and they started off across the expanse of the campus. They ran into the school searching for their friend Nejik.

All hell broke loose at that moment. Mass bedlam as students slammed into each other trying to get out. Teachers gathered valuable scrolls and weapons in an attempt to save them. It all seemed to take forever for Haru. At that moment, everything froze.

That's when he heard it, a distinct thundering to the opposite of the already fast approaching goblin legion. He knew that another force was thundering in. if they didn't escape soon they would be doomed.

They quickly turned a corner and ran head long into the study hall. They pulled aside a curtain and found Nejik waiting for them in their secret place.

"Come Nejik, we must hurry!" said Victor. Nejik jumped up and all three flew out the back door of the study hall. What they saw horrified even Haru.

They saw the whole of their sheltered valley almost completely engulfed.

"Transform!" Yelled Haru. Victor and Nejik happily complied. All three morphed into their respective animal forms. Those around them were mesmerized by the sight, but soon continued their escape when reality hit them again.

All that everyone saw of Haru, Nejik, and Victor was a beautiful wolf running alongside a majestic panther, with a magnificent raven flying above them. All three taking the only path available, the Guardian mountain.

They charged ahead, when suddenly a contingent of goblin soldiers got in their path. These goblins had made one hell of a mistake.

The first goblin that put its spear up against Nejik and Haru died instantly. Haru leaped into the air, over the crude spear and tore out the wretched thing's throat. Any goblin that had even thought of getting near Haru didn't even get the chance; Nejik immediately began tearing the despicable things to shreds with his deadly fangs and claws. Every once in a while Victor would swoop down and claw the face of a goblin that got too close to his busy friends.

And it continued, Nejik and Haru tearing their own path through the goblin ranks. They took more than a few hits in the process though. But they finally managed to make it into the relative safety of Guardian mountain; where no being of evil intentions could pass.