Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ Into the Abyss ❯ New Recruit ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

New Recruit

Haru, Arcaron, and Victor charged down the dirt road to High Hills. They still had a long way to go. And none of them knew if they could get Nejik to a cleric in time to save him.

They had wrapped his wound in cloth, but it didn't help much. Nejik was bleeding profusely. As they ran they left a trail of blood.

Haru decided it was time to pull ahead and get Nejik to the cleric. He nodded to Arcaron and Victor. Haru then began to run full out, quickly pulling ahead of the other two.

Haru ran into the town, down a street, and he burst through the door to the cleric's home. The cleric, named Kris Stonewall, leapt up in shock. He then calmed considerably when he saw the bloody form of Nejik in Haru's arms. Haru put Nejik on the patient's bed and looked at Nejik one last time. He then collapsed where he was from exhaustion.

Victor and Arcaron entered the town running, covered in blood. Many stopped and stared, confused and intrigued by why these two were so covered in blood. They found the cleric's house and entered, dreading the news that they did not want to hear. As they entered they saw Kris hard at work over Nejik. His hand's covered in a warm a soothing light as he worked them over Nejik's wound. He slowly closed and healed the wound bit by bit. Then they looked over to the side and saw Haru lying in a bed, sleeping softly.

Kris had finished his job on Nejik and then proceeded to put Nejik in the bed next to Haru.

"Aaggh, you must be friends of these two." Kris said. "Yes, we are, will they be all right?" Victor asked. "They'll be fine, they just need lots of rest, both of them." Kris replied.

"Frankly, I'm surprised your friend survived, losing that much blood." Kris said.

"How much do we owe you?" asked Arcaron, pulling out a sac of coins. "Oh no," started Kris, "my services are free."

"Are you sure?" Victor asked. "Yes, yes, quite sure." replied Kris.

Haru then groaned and started to rise, but then fell back to a lying position. "Is he ok?" was the first thing Haru said. Then he forced himself to a sitting position and looked at Arcaron and Victor.

"First of all, you good sir need to get more rest, and you two need to go get cleaned up." said Kris to Haru, Victor, and Arcaron.

Haru happily complied, letting sleep take him again. While Victor and Arcaron washed the blood off of themselves and changed into clean outfits.

Afterwards, Victor left and got the four a room in the inn. Arcaron then carried Nejik, while Victor helped Haru walk, to the inn.

They rested for several more days. Haru had regained all of his strength and energy, while Nejik, for the most part, had recovered.

"Thanks guys." Nejik said. "If it weren't for you guys, I'd be dead; I am truly grateful to have friends such as you." Nejik said.

"Don't talk like that; you sound like you're saying goodbye." Haru replied. They then left the inn, after stocking up on supplies.

The four friends then began to head towards the exit of the town, continuing their journey to save Ayane, when a large man got in their path.

"I've been quite curious as to how you four came in here so covered in blood." the large man said. "Well, as we made are way here to collect supplies, we were ambushed by a large group of goblins. We killed many, so we were covered in their blood. But then our friend was wounded, so we had to bring him here as soon as possible." Arcaron answered.

"You four have just doomed us all!" the man yelled. "Didn't you see that trail of blood you guys left? It's still visible!" he yelled.

"He's drunk, so be prepared." informed Victor. The large man then swung at Haru, Haru easily backed up and avoided the clumsy attack. He then got into his battle stance. Then Arcaron put his hand on Haru's shoulder.

"I'll take this one." He said. Haru nodded and backed up and let Arcaron take over. The man smirked, and then ran at Arcaron. Arcaron stepped out of the way and then stuck his foot out, tripping the drunken man easily. The man hit the ground hard; he rolled over, his face red with anger. He got up and swung at Arcaron. Arcaron caught the man's arm and then twisted it behind the man's back. The man cried out in pain, Arcaron proceeded to kick the man in the back of his knees, bringing the drunk to his knees. He then forcefully pushed the man to the ground, sending him sprawling.

The four then walked away, leaving the drunk to lie in the dirt.

As they exited the town Victor sensed a movement behind him and brought his kodachi up in front of his neck in a flash. This quick maneuver caught a jeweled dagger before it got close to his throat.

"Who are you and what do you want?" Victor asked. "The name's Maria." replied the attacker. She released her dagger from against Victor's kodachi and sheathed it.

Maria is an average height girl with cascading pink hair and a body that was nimble and strong at the same time. She looked much like Ayane, but with blue eyes and not green ones. She also carried a spear on her back.

"I can tell you're on a quest, now I'll be quick and to the point." She said. "I'm tired of this boring life I lead, I need some excitement, so I'm coming with you guys." she said to all four.

"You can't just charge up and say you're coming with…" Nejik started. "No," Victor said, "she can help us, she can come with us."

Knowing that Victor was usually right about many things, Haru quickly agreed. Arcaron agreed as well. And finally Nejik agreed.

Then the five walked on down the road towards their goal with Haru explaining to Maria what had happened so far and why they were on this journey.