Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ Once Was There, Now is Gone ❯ Konis ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own Wolf's Rain. I only own Konis and Jaker.

Hey this is just another fic I thought of at the top of my head. Sorry I made the first chap so long. But anyways, hope you have fun with it!

Hige wandered the streets slowly sniffing the air for any food to eat. All he could smell was, people, salad and dogs. His stomach grumbled loudly and he put his hands on his stomach to try and sooth the feeling away. He'd been looking forever and still couldn't find a source of anything! No matter how far, long and hard he looked, he still couldn't find the least bit of meat to eat. He had set out to bring food back to the pack but found himself getting too hungry to even walk. He sniffed the air once again and this time found a source of food to eat. Hamburger!

He sniffed the air once again and looked in the direction from where it was coming from. Jogging to find it, he searched the streets with his nose. He had his nose in the air and used the sent of it to lead him wherever it was. He was getting closer, he could almost taste it. He opened his eyes and could see some people looking at him with odd looks, so he slowed to a walk and continued slowly. He sniffed every now and then and still used his nose to lead him but didn't bother to let it show.

He didn't want to bring odd attention to himself. Especially today. Now him Tsume, Kiba and Toboe were all stuck in this weird city with nothing but mostly salad, dogs and people. The wolf hunters outside of this city chased them all in here knowing they were wolves. Now all they had to do was stay low until they could get out of the city. All Hige had to do for now, was find himself lunch.

There were two things he liked about being in a big city. Lots of food and tons of beautiful women. He sighed smiling as he thought about the entire woman he had saw today. Lots and lots of cute ones, but plenty of beautiful ones.

He turned the corner and looked before he continued and saw the source of what he had smelled. A man with a hamburger stand stood waving a bell trying to get peoples attention. He got Hige's all right. Behind the man was another teen, just about Hige's age, holding a carton of hamburger used for the man with the stand. Hige looked at the other teen and thought about taking the carton but thought against it. It would be easy to take it, but not easy to get away.

Hige looked at the man waving the bell and made a diversion in his head to take a hamburger patty. Quickly thinking of a way to get his attention away from the cart, he walked behind another man with a black jacket on, and followed him a few paces. Just a little further, a little more, now! He suddenly tripped the man with the black jacket making him fall into the teenager with a loud BANG! The man waving the bell spun around to see what the commotion was and saw his apprentice laying on the floor with hamburger meet spread around. Hige took his chance and ran away, but as he ran, he grabbed some burning patties and quickly shoved them in his pocket.

What he didn't expect was the teenager lying on the floor saw him take it. "Hey! Come back here." He heard as he ran into the allies. Just as if it were some Hollywood movie, he entered a dead end of an alley. He looked for a place to hide but couldn't find any. He shoved the hamburger into his mouth chewing quickly then swallowed. It was hard to smallow because he didn't chew it up enough. He had to let himself nor breathe for a second or so, so he wouldn't cause himself to choke on it. Hige could hear the teen's footsteps coming closer and closer. He decided quickly on his plan of action and took it.

The teen entered the frame of the alley and looked around. Dead end. Then where would he be? He stepped into the alley with red stained clothes from the hamburger and looked around. He listened real carefully and then heard a loud crash and saw tons of trash flooding the alleyway. "Ahah! I got you." He walked behind a giant garbage can and saw a brown furry figure huddled up shivering. He instantly felt bad for the creature and started talking to it. "Hey big guy," He looked around to see if that person had tried to escape. Not hearing or seeing him, he looked back to the `dog.'

The brown `dog' looked up to meet the teen's eyes. He was average height with curly brown hair and a blue sweater on with baggy pants. He reached his hand out carefully waiting for the `dog' to sniff it. Hige sniffed his hand and then let the teen pet him on the head. The teen petted him and rubbed behind his ears the knelt down to level with him. Hige instantly jumped up and started acting friendly to him. He wagged his tail and sat down in front of him. The teen smiled and then turned his head back to the front of the alley.

He sighed then stood up and looked down at Hige. "I got to go now pup. Nice seeing you. Oh hey, I know you can't understand a word I'm saying, but if you ever get hungry, stick around town. We feed strays. Plus, if you see a guy with a yellow sweater some where around here, bite his ass for me. See ya!" He then ran off back to the area where the cart was. Hige stayed in wolf form for a minute then went back to human as he walked off. He took his yellow sweatshirt off and stuffed it in his black shirt and continued on.

Now with a full stomach, he walked back to the area where everyone was staying. Walking into the abandoned building, he heard Toboe's giggle and looked up to see him laughing at Tsume who had tripped over a woodpile and land on his butt. "It's not funny!" Tsume hissed then got up. He dusted of his butt then looked down to see Hige enter the building.

Hige sighed and climbed the stairs that led to the top floor. He looked around for Kiba but didn't see him anywhere. He then sat down and listened to Toboe and Tsume argue over simple things. Finally Toboe noticed him then said, "Hey Hige! Find any food?"

He straitened himself up and looked away from Toboe. "No." He lied. He looked over to him and saw him with a sad look on his face.

"Oh well, I'm awful hungry. Kiba can't find food either but he decided to keep looking. I was hoping someone would find some by now."

"Sorry runt. Wish I would have, then I would have given you some." He looked away kind of feeling guilty for not bringing some back. He looked at Tsume who had a weird glance on him. Hige looked him in the eye trying to read what he was saying.

"I think you did. I can smell food all over you from here. Where were you exactly?"

"I didn't! I ran into the other kid who was selling food. I've been out there looking all over town." He then got up and looked around the building. It wasn't much. A few boxes here and there, a lot of burnt wood and some hay spread out across the ramp. He walked over to where the hay was and laid down and closed his eyes.

"No, you should be out there with Hige and help him find food before I eat you alive." Hige opened one of his eyes and looked at Tsume. He did look serious. Grumbling to himself, Hige got up and walked over to the stairs and walked down.

He'd have to make some disguise to hide himself from that other teen. He threw his sweater up to the ledge of the ramp and continued walking. Damn, he couldn't even sniff any out anymore. What was this? A completely vegetarian city? There was no meat anywhere. If they had to eat nothing but salad and fruit this would be the top place to stay.

He could smell Kiba off in the distance and walked on. At least Kiba was out here too. All he had to o was watch out for that teen. Hige hoped he didn't recognize his face because if he did he would be dead.

Walking into the heart o the city, he saw tons of stores lined up in the area with little kids running and playing all around. He bumped into a few people who sent him off track of where he was walking. He couldn't get three feet without being hit and shoved to the other side of the street. Grumbling, he shoved back whenever he was shoved somewhere. He was on a mission to find food, not become a soccer ball.

He still couldn't sniff out any meat. This was starting frustrate him beyond all lines. Looking ahead, he saw Kiba talking to a group of people who appeared to be showing him somewhere. He most likely stopped and asked for help. Human.

Hige looked for another way to go figuring Kiba had looked through this area already. Maybe if he went back to that cart he could get some food again. But he didn't want to get caught by that teen that was after him. That would be the last thing he needed. If he went to wolf form and acted like a dog he could get some food and bring it back to them. But if he had to hold that food in his mouth that long it would make him hungry and he would probley eat it on the way.

He could go back and get Tsume, Toboe and Kiba to come and get some, but Tsume would refuse for any food from a human. Even if it was going to keep them alive. He was just too stubborn.

Hige walked down the streets and decided to take a short cut through the alleyways. It would be much quicker and faster to get to the other end of the city. He would just have to refuse to eat the food and carry it back to them. Walking at a steady pace, Hige heard someone walking closely behind him. He didn't bother turning his head and kept walking at a faster pace.

The footsteps continued to stalk him throughout the alleys and he finally brought courage to himself and looked behind himself but what was behind him made gasp out loud. The teen at the hamburger cart was standing right there with a glare on his face.

Hige watched the teen for a second deciding what to do. He couldn't just run, this teen knew the alleyway better then he did. That and the teen was probley faster then him. He wouldn't have a chance of getting away no matter what he did. He had to think quickly.

"Have a nice meal?" the teen said provokingly. Hige swallowed the scratched his head smiling.

"Actually, that food was for my dog." He opened his eyes to see what the teen's expression would be. The teen looked at him with understanding eyes with a little bit of wondering in them.

"So why didn't you ask for some instead of taking it?"

Hige thoughts about that for a minute then said, "I didn't know that you guys gave I for free so I took it. Besides, there's no other place that sells meat in this town."

"Oh," The teen looked at him with a wondering look again then said, "There's plenty of places. Are you new here?"

Hige brought his hands inside his pocket then said, "Well, I guess I kinda am. I've never been here before and I'm staying for a while." He then thought again then said, "So yeah I guess I am kinda new."

"Figured." He then took a few steps forward and then held out his hand. "Names Konis." He smiled and waited for Hige to return his name.

"Uh, names Hige." He slowly let his hand out and let Konis shake his hand. He was careful not to squeeze to hard.

"So, uh, you were having trouble finding food?" He asked looking at Hige.

Hige smiled to himself then said, "Yeah, do you think you could possibly help me abit?" He opened his eyes and saw Konis nod then turn his body around and wave for Hige to follow.

Hige and him walked by each other talking a little bit about the city and it's remains and why there was so little meat around. "It's because we give away free meat a lot so the companies don't give us as much. We don't want them to starve to we continued giving away meat but only to stray animals. People can do work but the animals can't."

Hige looked ahead of himself as they walked then asked, "So Konis, how old are you?"

"16 next month. You?"

"Uh yeah around there. I mean 16. (A/N: I don't actually know his age so bare with me.) Well, yeah I am."

Konis looked at him with a side-glance then asked, "Do you not really know how old you are?"

Hige smiled then said, "No, I see a beautiful woman over there though." He lied. Konis looked around trying to find out whom he was talking about. He looked around but eventually gave up on trying to spot the girl out.

Hige and him went back to talking and Hige told him a little bit about him and how he really didn't live anywhere. "Yeah, I have two older brothers, Tsume and Kiba then a little brother Toboe. What about you?"

Konis was quite for a second the said, "I only have an older brother who right now is outside the city. My parents died about three years ago." He went quite again then looked at Hige who only replied, "I'm sorry."

Konis sighed then said, "Don't be. Besides, I still got a brother. If I didn't have him I don't know where I would be. I work for Jaker, the hamburger guy, and he gives me enough money to survive without my brother here. He's almost like the…father I never had."

"What about you're brother what does he do?" Hige asked as they turned the corner to another section of the city.

"He works outside the city on basic things. Things every city needs." Hige looked at him wondering why he wasn't telling him what he worked for. He ignored the subject then watched as Konis dodged a few people in the streets. He laughed then said, "After a while you get good at dodging people. It's almost natural to me now. That's how I spotted you out in the town square. You stand out when you run into people."

Hige laughed as he ran into a group of people. He never would be good at this. Konis walked inside a store and continued walking to the way back. Hige walked behind him wondering why they were in here. There was no meat in sight. He couldn't even smell any. "Uh, Konis where are we?"

Konis waved his hand for him to follow more then went back to the `Employees only' section. Hige followed behind him and felt a huge chill come over him. They were inside a giant freezer. "Gets kinda cold in here so I wear sweaters."

Hige nodded slowly as his teeth chattered from being cold. Konis walked inside of a iron door and held it open for Hige to follow. Hige walked inside and smelled all the meat inside of the area. It all smelled so good he just wanted to jump on the shelves and eat it all but he had to keep his composer.

Konis turned then said, "Take whatever. You can take as much as you'd like if it's for dog." He smiled then turned and grabbed some meat too. He put it inside a blue bucket and handed the bucket to Hige who still stood in aw over all the food. Konis laughed then said, "You don't have to act dead. It'll be here forever basically."

Hige snapped back into reality then said, "Oh yeah I know, I was just, yeah," He smiled then started to take meat off the shelves too. After they had finished, Konis carried the bin while Hige opened the doors and lead him out of the store.

They walked down the blocks and laughed now and then about all the meat spilling out from the box. "Hey Hige, hold on a second I have an idea." He handed Hige the bin then came back a minute later with a strong muscle man that seemed to be really nice. Konis took the bin from Hige then handed it to the man.

"This is Charlie. He helps with the meat company." Hige looked up to Charlie who only smiled because his hands were full carrying the bin. After walking another half a mile, Hige told them he could take it from here and he took the box and walked on. He waved good-bye to Konis and Charlie. Charlie waved back but Konis told him he would see him later.

When Hige got to the building, he walked inside to see Kiba, Tsume and Toboe all sitting and talking on the floor. When Hige walked in with the bin, they all stopped talking and ran over to him to help him with the food. Toboe was most pleased and kept saying, "Thank you, Thank you!"

Hige just smiled and handed Tsume the bin to take care of. "Smells like humans." He said as he set it down.

"Yeah I got it from a market." Hige said as he settled himself down.

"No, humans who just were here. The scent is still strong." He looked closely at the bin and checked it for anything he wouldn't like. Hige watched him and sighed. Tsume would never trust humans for as long as he lived. If he ever did it would be the greatest thing on earth. Hige looked over to Kiba and Toboe looking at it closely.

"It's cold and hard and my teeth can't munch it." Toboe whined still trying to eat a piece.

Hige laughed. "No runt. You have to let the sun get to it first. It's still frozen from being in a freezer." He walked over and took the piece from Toboe and put it in a spot where the sun was. He then looked back to the rest of the pile and brought it over to the sun. It looked like it would be too much for all of them but they would all be able to eat it in less then seconds. Hige then left the sunned area and went over to the hay beds and lay down.

For the first time in his life he had met a human who was somewhat a friend. He knew that if Tsume found out it would be the last of him. Best keep the new low and not mention it to him. If he did Tsume would chase the kid down or kill Hige. He never trusted humans. But why would Konis keep what his brother worked for away? Maybe he didn't want to tell or maybe he didn't even have a brother. But whatever it was, he didn't want to talk about it. He wanted to keep it away from everyone. Especially Hige. He didn't even want to talk about him. Konis didn't even tell Hige his brother's name. Another thing he didn't mention was his parent's death or what had happened to them.

Hige rolled over onto side and listened to the wind howling through the building. He shuddered and thought back to those people who had chased them inside the city. If it weren't for them they would all be sleeping in some kind of a den or something right now. That and they would probley still be complaining about how hungry they really were. Plus Hige would have never met Konis.

Konis had no idea about who Hige really was. All he knew was he was some boy who was lost in the city and didn't know where he was. Hige could never show his true identity to Konis. Plus, they all wouldn't be here all that long. In the end they would all leave the city and Hige would never see Konis again. Simple as that. Konis wouldn't even know where Hige went. He would just wake up one day to find out Hige left. It would be kind of hard to just leave without saying good-bye, but who even said they had to be friends? They had just met. It wasn't like they were friends.

Hige sat up and looked over at the meat. It was almost thawed. He could see through the corner of his eyes, Toboe looking at it as if it were going to get up and walk away. Hige knew how hungry he was. Poor Kiba though, he had been searching the whole day to try and find food and still he hadn't discovered anything. Then Hige on the other hand, found some but ate it all without giving any. Tsume had almost found out, but luckily he didn't. But even luckier he didn't find out about the friend of Hige's if you could call him that. If he had, Hige would be even deader.

"Hige? Is it done yet?" Toboe whined.

Hige sat up and looked to the meat. "Yeah, sure." He then turned around and fell back into the hay beds falling into a deep sleep. He didn't realize how tired he even was. He was too tired to eat! In his sleep he could hear everyone eating the meat that only made him dream about the pack he lived in.

((*))

(Hige's dream)

Waking up Hige looked around to see everyone gone. Wondering where they went then saw Konis standing before him holding some hamburgers. "Here Hige." His voice echoed, "take this for your pack." He dropped the meat on the floor and then left vanishing in thin air slowly.

"Konis wait!" Hige yelled. Hige then ran over to the meat and picked it up. He looked down to the floor and noticed something red liquid flooding out of nowhere.

"Hige!" A voice yelled out of nowhere. It sounded like Konis. "Hige help me!" The voice echoed. Hige dropped the meat and looked around the room. The voice was coming from everywhere.

Hige saw a shadowy form appear in front of him out of nowhere. He screamed and stumbled back to fall flat on his back. Everything from then happened in slow motion. The shadowy figure loomed over Hige and suddenly, for a mere second, he could see a face. The face was almost pure white and had a scar running down his lower lip. Then the face appeared shadowy again and spun around.

The red liquid he had seen on the floor flooded around him and then flowing in the blood he saw a body with a blue sweater on. The body was on its stomach with its back showing in the air. Hige stood up and waded over to the body and looked at it. The figure suddenly turned over and as close as Hige could see, the body was Konis.

Hige thought Konis was dead but found himself wrong when he started talking, "Hige run. Get out of here before he kills your pack. I tried to warn you…I tried." Then the body sunk in the red liquid and Hige was once again standing by himself.

"Konis, no." Hige looked down into the redness and put his hands into it searching for the lost friend. "Konis! Konis come back. Who?! Who is going to kill them?" He searched some more but still couldn't find him. "Konis!"

Hige got up and stood by himself looking down where Konis had just been. He then heard gunshots ringing all around him. Then tons of wolves were howling in pain. The sound made him grow suddenly worried inside. Then appearing from nowhere, three bodies were floating in the red liquid. Hige looked at them and then realized who they were.

He stumbled back into the red liquid but shot right back out of it. There was Toboe, Kiba and Tsume all floating in the liquid all dead from the gunshots. From nowhere, he could hear the voices of them echoing in the air, "Traitor,"

"No! I didn't mean to! I was just trying to feed the pack." He fell to the floor covered in the red liquid and sobbed.

The voices started up again saying, "You're not in this pack."

Then the voices, bodies and red liquid all disappeared and he found himself alone once again but this time in a white room. He sat alone shaking from the sight of what he had just seen. Then a new voice rang through the air. A hard dark laughing of a man. The laughing wouldn't stop and Hige found himself surrounded by the men who had chased them all into the city. The held up their rifles and fired at him.

The next thing he knew was he was falling nowhere. Just falling in some black space. He could hear all the voices echoing inside his head. What Tsume, Toboe, Kiba and Konis had all just said. Slowly he passed out of the dream.

((*))

Hige shot up with a start and looked around the room. He was covered in his own sweat from the dream he had just had. Thinking back to it, he realized what happened.

`Was it all real?' He looked around the area searching for everyone. By himself, he saw Toboe and Kiba and then off far away from them, he saw Tsume leaning against the railing of the ramp in a deep sleep. `No, they're here, they're fine.' He lowered himself back down to the hay and lay there thinking what had just happened. `I need to get sleep. Somehow I know that dream was saying something.' He then fell back to sleep still shaking from the dream.

((*))

Hige woke the next morning to find everyone still asleep. Sighing, he got up and walked past a heavy breathing Toboe who seemed to be smiling in his sleep. At least he had a good dream. Hige walked down the stairs trying to be careful so it wouldn't clank loud enough to wake them all up.

When he reached the bottom, he looked up to see everyone still asleep. Hige continued walking outside to find everything quite empty. It was very early in the morning and most people were still trying to get some sleep. He looked around the area and remembered where he had gone to find Konis yesterday. As he walked down the streets, more and more people appeared as they were all slowly waking up.

Hearing the sound of the bell that Jaker used everyday to try and get costumers. Following the sound, he could slowly start to smell the meat he would sell. Finally seeing him in sight, he could see Konis standing next to him, yawning like he had just got up. Hige ran over to him and waved trying to get his attention.

Konis saw him out of the corner of his eye and waved back. "Hey Hige!" Hige smiled as he reached Konis.

Konis and Hige stood by each other quite for a second both watching Jaker sell some food to two young boys needing sausage. After Jaker sold it, he turned around and waved to Hige. Hige smiled at him still unsure of what Jaker would do from yesterday's events.

Jaker turned around and started talking to Hige and Konis. "Hey Hige, heard lots about you." Hige gave a small laugh, as did Konis. "Now remember next time to ask for the food, not take it. Very bad thing for you to do."

Konis turned to Hige smiling then said, "If you ever need more of that food I gave you yesterday, just come by and ask and I'll give it to you."

Hige smiled. "What time do you get done with work?"

"Around the afternoon. Do you think we could hang out around then?" Konis asked.

"Yeah sure why not. I'll meet you back over here if you want. This is the only section of town I really remember."

Konis laughed then looked at Hige again. "Hey where's that dog of yours?"

Hige realized what he was asking then covered up. "Oh, uh he's around. He just wonders town as the day goes on. Most likely because everything I do is boring so he's got to find something more fun to do. So I'll meet you here around noon then?"

"Yeah sure. See you then. Bye!"

Hige waved bye as he ran off in the other direction. He wasn't gong anywhere in particular. Just looking for something to do. He could maybe take Toboe out with him in the town. He could teach him a little about getting woman. Yeah. That would be great.

Turning to wolf form, he ran down the streets as fast as he could go heading back to the building where everyone was. Finally having the building in sight, he went back to human and walked the rest of the way. When he entered the doors, he saw Tsume looking down from the ramp to him. Hige ignored his glare and climbed the steel stairs.

As he got up, he noticed Tsume's eyes following him closely. Sighing, he continued walking to over to they hay beds and found Kiba and Toboe looking at each other closely obviously in a deep conversation.

As Hige entered the area of the hay, everyone looked at him closely like he just did something wrong. Hige stopped in his tracks and looked at Tsume whose eyes were straight on him. "What?" Hige asked looking at everyone.

His eyes cut back to Tsume as he begun, "Who's Konis?"

((*))

Hey Review me what you think of this story so far. On ff.net the chapters are shorter….i think. Well, review me cause it makes me write faster!