Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ Once Was There, Now is Gone ❯ Who's Konis? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(HIGE'S POV)

"Who's Konis?" Tsume asked.

I looked at him blankly for a second wondering what he meant. Then it hit me. Konis? What did he know about Konis? I swallowed hard as I begun to ask, "How do you know about Konis?" I could feel everyone stare at me. All their eyes melting through every inch of my body.

"How do I know about Konis?" He asked as he leaned against the railing of the ramp looking at me with his intensely cold eyes. "I saw you talk to him today. It's kind of obvious who he is. He's definitely not a wolf and you two are friends. Wolfs and humans don't mix." He said sort of giving me a smirk.

My anger level burst way up from that smirk. Who does he think he is? Without thinking, I yelled, "How would you know humans and wolves don't mix when you were the one using them all your life? You're so damn desperate you had to use humans to help you!"

Before I even realized what had happened, his fist went right in my face knocking me back so I was looking straight up at him. He looked down on me with an evil glare. I guess I shouldn't have said that. He looked as though he was about to attack me again when Toboe loomed over me. Damn runt. He should stay out of this. He always thinks he can do something, but really, he's a small runt who can't change a thing.

I glanced up at Toboe trying to glare at him so he would get out of this. One thing I was sure of, if I can't get him out of this from anger he might get hurt from being hit. While looking at him, out of the corner of my eye, I was surprised at what I saw. Kiba just sat there; glaring at me like I had just killed someone he had loved or cared about. Why? Wouldn't he be beside Toboe, trying to stop Tsume? But then, he is one to hate humans. He hates them like he would hate seeing his pack being killed in front of his own two eyes. Even though I'm about to get killed by Tsume.

"Don't hurt him!" Toboe yelled as Tsume shoved him out of the way. Surprising how offended I made Tsume. Well, then again, I did call him dependant enough to turn to humans. Tsume was just about to punch me again when I moved out of the way dodging his attack. His fist missed my head by an inch and went straight into the cold steel floor. He growled from the pain and lunged at me again. I didn't want to really fight back. I just would dodge his attacks then wait for him to come back then dodge it again.

I dodged another one of his blows, which landed only centimeters from my face. Ok, he's starting to get closer. He came back at me again and this time, out of his luck, struck me in the face hard enough to send me flying back.

Lying on my side for a second, I listened to him stand still, breathing heavily. I didn't want to move to provoke him again. Waiting until he finally walked away, I stood up and looked to my fellow companions. Only Toboe faced me, the rest looked away like I never existed. I grumbled to myself, and then walked down the stairs. I couldn't stay here for right now, besides, I still had about a day left to walk around before I had to come back. That and I had to meet Konis.

I walked towards the exit of the building. As I walked out, I realized, what was happening right now. A feeling came to me I hadn't felt for years. A human feeling that only the humans would feel. Loneliness. And sadness. It hurt. It didn't hurt like someone just stabbed me; it felt as though I had just been punched in my heart. This couldn't be happening.

I stopped and looked back to the building. I couldn't hear them talking or even moving. But I could hear them breathing. I could also hear myself breathing, something that caught my attention. It wasn't the sound of my normal breathing, it was shaky and I couldn't control it. Quickly looking away from the building, I ran. I didn't stop. I couldn't even see where I was going.

Running into a few people, I felt their ruff hands shove me to the earth's cold floor. Cold. Everything was cold. After lifting myself up, I looked around and saw where I was. I was at the same place where I had met Konis. In the alley where he had been so kind to me. He didn't know what I was I think. He thought I was some dog. A dog! How could I look like a dog? Was it because of my collar?! Was it the fact I didn't attack him?! Why did he think I was a dog? Am I so low to the earth that I look like a dog? Do I look so gentle and caring enough to be a dog? Who does he think I am? I'm not a low life dog wondering the street looking for food from some human! I am a wolf! Not a fucking dog.

No! I fell to the floor and changed to wolf form. I couldn't be acting like this. He just thought I was a dog. No big deal I guess. Looking to the people walking by, I watched them just quickly glance at me and continue walking. They didn't know. They didn't know who I really was. Did I really look like a dog? Is this who I am? What am I?

Lying down, I closed my eyes and thought back to my pack. I wasn't sure what had just happened. I wasn't sure if they pushed me out of the pack or if they just wanted me gone for a few minutes. I wasn't sure about anything. Not even sure who I was.

I could hear the sound of Jaker's bell ringing loudly in my ears. I could hear Konis yelling loudly above the crowd for people to buy some fresh hotdogs. I opened my eyes and I could see him walking. Walking away from me like he never saw me. I guess he shouldn't have. I look like a dog. He sees dog's everyday. So I shouldn't just stand out to him. Just as I thought he would walk by without even glancing at me, he looked towards the alley and smiled.

I looked up at him and looked away. I couldn't accept the food from him. But he walked over to me and stuck the food in my face. Damn kid. I could smell the aroma of the food lingering inches away. Drooling, I looked to the food and grabbed it as quick as lightning. Shocked, he lunged back and landed on his back.

I dropped the food and looked at him. I hope I didn't hurt him. He looked up at me and smiled again. I gave a wolf smile back and walked over to him to see if he was okay. He only laughed and used my back to balance him as he got up. After he was standing on his feet, I went back to the food I had dropped and ate it as quick as I could.

He petted me on the head and walked away. Guess he had to go back to work again. Well, I would see him around noon. Watching him walk away, I ran off into the crowd of people and began running with all my speed and might. I could smell Kiba in the distance. Running in his direction, I continued to dodge people who appeared in my way. A little kid in front of me, bent down to pick up her doll she dropped, I would have dodged her but too many people were right beside her, instead I leaped over her.

Kiba's scent was getting closer now, he was almost in front of me. Now I could see him, he was looking in my direction. He seemed, curious to what I was doing. But then he grew angry and looked away. Well, it's not like I care anyways, I ran right past him as quick as a heartbeat. I don't know why I'm running so fast. I guess because of the fact that I never get to run where I like. I'm always following Kiba's lead. For now, I can run where I like.

I slowed my pace and stopped. Looking up, I saw a brick building directly in front of me. Dead end. I looked behind myself and saw no one behind me. Going back to human form began to walk back to where I had begun running.

Sniffing the air, I could now smell Toboe walking somewhere near here. How did he get so close to here? I could smell his scent strongly, but one thing stuck out about his scent, his fear. I wonder why I can smell his fear so much.

Looking back to where I was walking, I got worried and jogged to where I could smell him. Now that I was in human form, I could see much higher up and I would be able to tell if I saw him. Looking above the human's heads, I could see him wondering the streets bumping into people here and there. He looked scared out of his mind. He turned his head and saw me standing there with a confused look on my face.

He all of a sudden ran towards me and practically jumped in my arms. "Hige! Oh man Hige I'm so glad you're here!" I stood still trying not to move because if I did he would surely fall out of my arms. Finally, I dropped him to the floor and looked down at him.

(Writer's POV)

"What's wrong runt?" Hige expected him to be so happy for finding him here. But what he told him shocked him to no ends.

"The soldiers that chased us into the city, they invaded the building we were staying in! I saw Tsume get shot in his arm before he made me run away from the area. I don't know what happened to him." He sobbed as he sat on the ground not looking at Hige.

Hige looked down at him with wide eyes shocked as hell wondering where he would be. "Toboe come on." He said as he helped Toboe to his feet. "We have to find Kiba." Toboe stood by Hige still shaking while he let Hige help him up. "Can you stand?" Hige asked looking down to Toboe. Toboe shook his head and watched as Hige stood in front of him with his back towards him. "Jump on." He said as he offered Toboe a piggyback ride.

Toboe nodded and jumped on his back and held onto his shoulders tight. Hige ran through the crowd of people sniffing the air trying to find his scent. When he caught it, he followed it until he finally saw him running in the distance. "Kiba!" Hige shouted trying to get his attention.

Kiba stopped running and looked at him trying to decide what to do. He looked behind himself and ran over to Hige. "They're all over the place Hige. And they've got Tsume." Hige looked at Kiba and nodded. They all knew they would have to hurry and find a place to hide.

All of them running, Kiba on his own and Hige carrying Toboe on his back, they all set forward to find a place where they would be able to hide until they could get Tsume. Toboe looked behind himself and saw a few soldiers running at them. "Hurry!" He yelled.

Kiba lead them to an intersection where a few sewer entrances lay in the middle of the street. Bending down, he yanked it off and helped Toboe lower himself down then lowered himself down knowing Hige could do it just fine. From up above he could hear Hige mumbling to himself about something like a `sensitive nose'.

He waited with Toboe until Hige jumped down pinching his nose with his fingers. "Damn this place stinks." He hissed quietly.

"Well it's better then being up there," he said as he started walking down the dark tunnel. As he walked with Toboe then Hige behind him, their feet would make the sounds of water splashing from each step.

Hige continued complaining about the scent as Toboe often asked if Tsume would be all right and if they would find him as Kiba remained quite about everything. He wasn't sure what was going to happen in this city, but he was sure they would find Paradise with Tsume even if it cost their lives to get him back.

Sorry. I wasn't able to make it longer. Please review! I want to know what you think of the whole entire thing so far. Give me a little ideas or something you might want to see happen.

((*))

Disclaimer- I do not own wolf's rain.

Hey! Thank you for all the wonderful reviews! I love them so much! I know some of you started to get a little frustrated at why I wasn't updating so I hurried my butt into doing it. Anyways, I was also at a boring spot for me and I was kind of bored of writing that part so it took me a little while. But I got that part done with and I was doing a more interesting one. So anyways, I hope you all have fun reading this chapter because I had fun writing…some parts.

Well I better let you all onto the chapter now. Good luck!

The three wolves crouched in the sewer way, trying to make as little noise as possible. From up above them, gunfire rang throughout the area followed by loud screams from woman and shouting cries from children.

"I wonder what's going on up there?" Hige asked as he looked towards the ceiling. The gunfire slowed down and then there was nothing but silence.

"It stopped." Toboe pointed out.

All of them looked at each other in the darkness all trying to read each other's thoughts. Hige and Kiba nodded and continued walking. As they walked, the sewer was slowly lighting up as little light was appearing in a separate tunnel way. The light first appeared green as it reflected off the water making the walls appear to have a slight glow.

Kiba stopped then turned to Hige and Toboe. "Sssh, listen," everyone stopped moving and listened not even daring to move. "A river." Kiba said.

"Let's go!" Hige said running past Kiba heading in the direction of the river. He was closely followed by Kiba and Toboe who were all making loud splashing noises.

Finally they reached the end of the tunnel where large bars blocked anything except water from getting out or in. "Move aside." Kiba said slightly pushing Hige to the back.

With his massive wolf jaws, he pulled the bars apart making them wide enough for them to escape. Kiba jumped out first followed by Hige then Toboe who tripped on the way out. Falling on Hige, they both fell to the floor to only receive glares from Kiba, as he was slightly startled from the commotion. Hige and Toboe smiled and stood up which Hige punched Toboe in the arm.

Looking around, they had entered a forest with tons of large trees and ivy growing just about everywhere. The sewer they had just jumped out of was hidden inside a large hill that followed back to the city. The river was flowing at a deep and fast rate and was about 15 feet wide. The water was all white meaning it was all fast water with tons of rocks. The forest seemed to give an image of peace that was taken away by the human who added the sewer.

"We'll have to cross if we want to reach the city." Kiba said as he started for the river.

"Yeah but wouldn't the city be behind us?" Hige asked staying in his place. If the sewer were behind them then the city would also be behind them.

"Yes. The city is behind us but if we want to get into the city without any fuss, then we'll take this way." He waded into the river and stopped. Looking behind himself, he saw both nervous and feared looks on Toboe and Hige. "If you want to save Tsume then follow me. If not, then you can keep here."

Toboe and Hige looked at each other then nodded. Kiba was right. They walked into the river and waited for Kiba's lead. Hige knowing Toboe wasn't as strong grabbed onto his sleeve and pulled him into the water holding on tight. As they waded more and more into the water slightly getting pushed aside from the rapid currents.

Toboe held on tight to Hige's sleeve also knowing he wouldn't stand a chance against the rapid currents. The water was stronger then it looked. What was so strong about it was the undertow. Pushing their feet with the current as their body's pushed to go the other way.

As they went further and further towards the middle, the water slowly got deeper and deeper. It was deep enough now to reach Hige's waist leaving it to Toboe's chest. He was practically swimming now as he clutched Hige's arm holding on for him life.

Hige was trying to hold on to Toboe. He knew that if anything happened to him, Tsume would surely kill him. Him and Toboe were like two brothers that had been separated for ages then just found each other by luck. Anyone who didn't know about both of their pasts would think they were both brothers of some sort. That was though, if Tsume wasn't really killed. But hey, Tsume was a good fighter, he would be fine.

"This water is getting deep," Toboe said. He was just about to take another step when a huge wave came over him forcing him to loose his footing. If it weren't for Hige's strong grip he would have definitely fallen into the freezing cold river. Hige's grip on Toboe made him loose his footing on the rock he had balanced on forcing him to fall further into the water. He felt the coldness rush over him as he was forced underwater still gripping onto Toboe pushing him above the water so he wouldn't go under as well. His feet pushed around in the water trying desperately to find any kind of rock or footing possible.

His thoughts were all rushed onto the fact of not letting Toboe go under. Toboe wasn't as good of a swimmer with him still being young and he wouldn't do well if he was rushed underwater. Hige felt the need of more air rise stronger in stronger as he tried hopelessly to come above water. Starting to panic, he kicked even more ruff with his feet to find any footing that he could stand on.

All thoughts in his head were headed in finding a way to surface in the river. He could feel Toboe start to panic as he realized Hige wasn't coming up any time soon. Hige's lungs were now in a painful state as he was about to breathe for air. Just as he was about to think nothing would bring him to the surface, he felt a grip of hands reach down and pull him above the surface. Taking as big of a breath as he could, he now realized he was above the air.

Looking to the pair of hands that had pulled him up, he saw Kiba half swimming half standing next to him looking for reassurance on Hige's face. "All right?" He asked. Hige nodded and realized Kiba was still holding onto his arm. Kiba was pretty strong for being able to hold onto himself, Hige and Toboe in a giant river that was almost forcing their lives away. Hige started to swim towards shore still clutching onto the still frantic Toboe with a little help from Kiba who was also swimming.

Once they reached the shore, Kiba grabbed onto the ledge and helped Hige up as he helped Toboe up. Then he lifted himself up and looked back to the river they had just crossed. The river was much more rougher then what it had looked like. Looking back to his shaken up pack, he noticed how little it looked without Tsume being around. Tsume was almost like the second leader of the pack. He cared for each and every one of them though he never showed it on the outside. He was like and older brother to Toboe and a half-witted father to Hige in some ways. He was really brave at that. But he was always there beside you at the roughest times even though you never saw it. Everyone judged him as being the tuff guy who didn't care about a single life or living thing, but deep down, he cared for everyone that crossed his path. You just had to see it.

"Ready to go?" Hige asked glancing at Kiba. Toboe stood beside Hige still shaking a little bit from the river. If Tsume were here, he probley wouldn't be as shaking as much knowing Tsume would want him to act at least a little more tough.

Kiba nodded and began walking through the dense forest. He could smell the city limits behind himself. But he knew humans weren't as smart. They would think that the wolves would just come right back in the city walking in broad daylight. They would think that the wolves would just use a path or walk around the city to get in. But it was much more complicated then that. They would find a way to get in and use it against the humans. They still had to worry about the other hunters though. Some were in the city and some were out. They had that one disadvantage used against them. But truthfully, Kiba didn't know how he was going to get into the city. He would just figure it out when the time came closer.

From behind him, he could hear both Hige and Toboe trip over little vines and bushes that stood in their way. Of course, they were city boys. Not used to this kind of a climate only to the city with wooden floors and streets. Out here in the wild you were used to it all.

"Couldn't you have taken a different pack Kiba?" Hige asked as he untangled a vine from his foot. This really wasn't his day. From being punched in the face, to the pack being almost being caught, almost drowning, and now this. What next?

"You want to get Tsume with out being caught right?" He could hear Hige mumble something in a response and continued on.

"I hate being in this kind of a forest." Toboe mumbled as he made a large step over a log laying in his pack. He knew this was the only advantage in getting Tsume, but did it have to be this rough? Looking to Hige, he could tell he was mildly frustrated too. Poor Hige though. His pack had turned against him over making one lousy friend, and now he was risking his life to bring the one back who had thrown him out. Now to come and think about it, Kiba hadn't done anything to stop Tsume. He was sore at Hige too even though he was still letting Hige come along.

Kiba stopped and looked up to the trees. His face grew mildly intense with either fear or shock, but he wasn't happy about something. Hige noticed and looked up to the trees also. He grew confused after a while and looked back at Kiba who still had the same look. Toboe became frightened and started to grow nervous as he fidgeted around.

"Kiba, what is it?" Hige asked.

Kiba looked at Hige with a deep feared look before answering, "We're not alone. Sniff the air." Hige sniffed the air but still couldn't sense anything. "Nothing right?" Hige nodded and continued to look at Kiba. Kiba pointed with his head up to the trees for Hige to look. It took a minute, but within the trees, he could see a few things moving around. Hunters.

They had used a disguise as some sort so that they couldn't be sniffed out. Hige grew intensely terrified, as he realized they were trapped. Kiba looked back at Hige and then whispered, "On my word, run as fast as you can on my lead and try desperately not to trip over anything. Once they have us trapped, it's all over. We won't see Paradise." Hige and Toboe nodded and waited for Kiba to command them.

They all began walking in their normal pace not looking anywhere around them. Kiba remained looking ahead as Hige and Toboe looked at Kiba. Everything seemed to play in slow motion. Every step they took seemed to echo in the distance. All you could hear were the sounds of footsteps and the muffled cough of a hunter in the trees. Kiba looked back to his pack then mouthed the word, `Now.' Still with everything in slow motion, Hige, Kiba and Toboe began a slow jog as they were gaining their pace. Then as if someone had turned on a switch, everything went back to normal movement.

They all ran through the forest using all the wolf instinct they had left in them. Dodging trees, jumping over logs, going under branches and even keeping their eye ahead of themselves. They could hear the hunter's loud yells as their targets were escaping in the trees. They could also hear some of the hunters running in the forest trying to keep up with their targets. They were definitely in a deep trap that they would have to push themselves out of.

Things were going all too well when just as if someone had planned this out, Toboe tripped over his feet and went plummeting to the earth floor. Hige being behind him, almost tripped over him but instead managed to halt to a stop. Now seeing tons of men coming from everywhere, he hurried up and tried to help Toboe up who was intensifying scared.

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see a hunter advance on them as he ran towards them. Hige was about to lunge at the man when out of nowhere, Kiba stormed next to him and sliced his hand across the guy's chest. The man took one glance at Hige and Toboe again, then fell to the earth's floor UN moving. It gave Hige a little more time as he helped Toboe to his feet as they began running again. Kiba ran in the front again leading them in almost zigzagged paths as they ran in the forest. The city's limits were being smelled strongly once again.

Hige and Toboe were both starting to think it was all over. They would never see Paradise or Tsume ever again. Just as if on cue, Kiba made a sharp turn towards the city. He then ran up to a side of a hill that lay before them and lifted a bunch of bushes. Below them was a tunnel leading somewhere to the city. "Go on!" Kiba encouraged everyone. Hige jumped in first quickly followed by Toboe then Kiba. Kiba put the bushes back in place and they all begun traveling one again.

After running through the tunnel after a few yards, Hige stopped to catch his breath and looked at Kiba. "How did you know about the tunnel?" He asked.

"You don't think I spent my entire afternoon looking for nothing but meat do you? This leads to the market of the city where I found it. I knew we would need a tunnel of some sort to enter or leave the city and this is how I found it."

Toboe remained close to Kiba as they walked through the darkness listening to any noise near them. After awhile of walking they could start to hear distant laughing and giggling of children in the market as they ran around. "Almost their." Kiba breathed as they entered the city.

The three wolves entered the city walking slowly listening to all the commotion of the people around them. They were trying to listen of any of the hunters/soldiers were near them. As the tunnel started to clear of darkness, they came from behind a building and entered the back part of town.

Kiba sniffed the air trying to find any hint of Tsume in the area. "We'll have to find another place to stay."

Hige sighed then said, "Kiba. Please, you have to trust me just this once. Konis can help us. He doesn't know we're wolves or anything. He wouldn't betray us like any other human. He's my friend like you are and you know I don't pick out people who would backstab me for a friend. Please." Kiba looked away from Hige not saying a word. He knew Hige was right in some ways. But trusting this Konis could cost their lives.

"Okay Hige. But he won't know about us being who we really are." Hige smiled and nodded knowing Kiba was sort of okay about Konis now. "Where's Konis?"

Okay here we are! I hope you had fun reading this chapter. I can't wait to write the next one though. You'll see why. Well review me on what you think so far!