X/1999 Fan Fiction / Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Living For You ❯ A Surprising Occupation ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: The usual, I don't own any of the X characters. They belong to CLAMP. Ayame belongs to Natsuki Takaya. Thanks to both for coming up with such wonderful characters to write about.

Chapter 4: A Surprising Occupation.

The days that followed soon settled into a pattern. Kamui rested, took short walks and was nagged at by Sorata. Yuzuriha and Inuki were all right as companions but her youth and energy would wear Kamui's patience thin. He was sometimes irritated by the complusive way she had of making sure everyone saw Inuki. He was glad her craving for ice cream often took her outside the house and away for hours. Karen and Seiichiro didn't come by much, being too busy at work. Kamui blushed to think of the "work" Karen was engaged in. Not that he had any experience nor any interest in Karen herself, but being a normal teenaged boy, he possessed enough of an imagination to set him blushing whenever he was close to the Soapland hostess. As for Hokuto, she had moved in with them though he knew she kept her apartment in the city. Kamui felt he didn't see her often enough as she was frequently out of the house. He was left wondering what it was that took up so much of her time.

So it was with some surprise when Kamui spotted her one late afternoon seated on the sofa in the living room. She was looking thoughtful, delicately nibbling on the end of a pencil.

"Hokuto!" Kamui exclaimed, his delight at seeing her evident.

Hokuto looked up and smiled in greeting, "Good afternoon, Kamui."

"What are you doing here? Er, not that I'm not glad to see you," stuttered Kamui quickly, not wanting her to get the idea she wasn't welcome. "Are you staying to dinner?"

"Oh nothing much, I just had a free afternoon and thought I'd stay in with you guys. And yes, I'm staying for dinner, Sorata's with the girls in the kitchen whipping up something."

Kamui walked over to her, his eye caught by the large flat book on her lap. "What's that?"

"This? My livelihood." She lifted the book up to show him.

Kamui took a closer look. The book was filled with drawings of men and women dressed in stylish outfits. "You're a fashion designer?" Kamui didn't know why he was so surprised. Afterall Hokuto was very easy on the eye. She was always turned out immaculately and colour-coordinated. Though he would have supposed he'd think her a model first before a couture designer.

Hokuto nodded and sighed theatrically. "Being an onmyouji doesn't pay much these days and well, since I left home I needed a job that could be flexible timewise. This way, I can work when I like and still have time to fight evil!" She grinned. "You should come by my shop one of these days. My partner is the one who makes up the outfits. He'd love to dress you up."

"Your shop..." Kamui was wary at the gleam in her eye, which looked suspiciously like his mom's when she was in the mood to take him shopping and make him try on clothes for hours.

"Yes, my shop, though I'm more the silent partner in the business." Hokuto scribbed on a bit of paper and handed the address to him. "Come by this Sunday and I'll show you around."

~~~~

The sign at the front of the shop read "Cherish your Heart." There was also a little "Trustworthy" written in one corner. Kamui was beginning to wonder if he'd found the right place when he spotted a familiar form just inside the small store. Walking in, Kamui saw Hokuto's back was to him and she was being held tightly by an incredibly gorgeous man with long silver hair.

The golden eyed man clinging tightly to Hokuto was dressed in a fine long red coat with an oriental collar and buttons over a silky white outfit. He was talking rapidly at Hokuto. "Please, please, Hokuto-chan you have to help me, I don't know what to do with Yuki anymore. He rebuffs every gesture I make. I do so want to be part of his life. Help me please Ho-ku-to!!"

Kamui found himself oddly upset at the stranger who was draping himself all over Hokuto. Hokuto had staggered back and lifted an arm around the man to pat him comfortingly on the shoulder. "There, there, you can tell me all about it later, Ayame-san, I'll see if I can think of something. But right now I'm expecting a friend to stop by and I want to pass you my latest designs as soon as you LET GO of me."

Ayame suddenly looked up and noticed Kamui standing wide-eyed at the front of the store. "Wai, what a cute young man!" He let go of Hokuto and came running up to Kamui exclaiming, "You've got lovely eyes, my little brother has eyes that brillant shade of lavender too!"

Hokuto turned around to see who Ayame was talking to and smiled when she saw Kamui. "Kamui. I'm glad you could come." She waved at Ayame and said, "This is my partner, Souma Ayame. Ayame-san, this is my friend, Shirou Kamui."

"Souma-san," Kamui made a small bow in greeting, struck by how good Ayame and Hokuto looked together.

"Oh do call me Aya," Ayame said cheerfully.

"So how do you like the shop?" Hokuto asked.

For the first time since he'd walked in, Kamui took a careful look around. The place looked like a handicraft store, with colourful fabrics and ribbons on shelves over much of the shop. There was also a corner with racks where outfits hung, some of which looked like uniforms. "Er, its very nice," Kamui said politely.

"Nice! We cater to every desire. We have maid uniforms, nurse outfits in every colour, pastel and darks, clothes for teachers, office ladies, wedding dresses, something for every occasion and profession. Everything and anything that can fulfil the dreams of a romantic man," Ayame rattled on at top speed, hardly even taking a breath. "Why don't you let me find you something nice to try on?"

Kamui's eyes were starting to glaze in confusion from the litany.

"Mi-ne, Mi-ne," Ayame called.

A girl in pig-tails and round glasses, dressed in a maid's uniform bustled out from a room at the back. "Oh kawaii," she squealed when she saw Kamui. "Are we going to get to dress him up?"

"Ah don't you think he would look darling in the gold silk? Or shall we stay with that virginal image with white satin? And that long silver jacket we have. Oooh won't he just look absolutely royal!" Ayame exclaimed.

Mi-ne entered the discussion with enthusiasm. "Oh your taste is impeccable, Ayame-san. Pastels just won't do and the fabric, the fabric, we must find the right fabric! Do you think brocade will suit?"

"Well it shall have to be silks or satin I think. Brocade is a no no. And don't even think about cotton, it'll be too plebian." Ayame then flung his arms out in a mock gesture of despair, "Oh pain, oh pain, the desecration of what he's wearing right now!"

A bewildered Kamui looked down at his long sleeved white rayon shirt and jeans and wondered what Ayame was talking about.

Without pausing to take a breath Ayame continued, "Yes Kamui, we can make you the object of every man or woman's dreams. No one will be able to resist your charms. You shall have everyone falling at your feet in ecstacy if you would only let me dress you!"

Hokuto laughed gaily, "Oh Aya-san, please don't scare Kamui like this, he will not want to try on your special outfits. Though he could use something stylish for everyday use. Don't worry, Kamui, I think I shall design something decent just for you. Though I shall have to depend on Ayame-san to sew it up."

Kamui could only nod gratefully. He was beginning to think Ayame-san might be off his rocker.

"Now lets go for lunch," Hokuto grabbed Kamui's arm and made to steer him out of the shop.

"Ho-ku-to-chan, are you leaving me already?" Ayame pantomined a desolate look. Then Ayame's golden eyes narrowed craftily, looking at one to the other. "Oh I see, its a da-te!" He clapped his hands in glee.

"Here take this," Hokuto hurridly stuffed a portfolio of designs at Ayame. "I'll be by another day and we'll see about settling your problem. Ja ne."

Kamui face was turning beetroot red as he gratefully let Hokuto tug him out of the store. He failed to see the considering look Ayame had on his face nor heard him softly mutter, "I wonder if the shadow of the Sakurazukamori will ever let you be happy, my friend."

~~~~~

Notes: Oh dear, I don't know how Souma Ayame just popped up in this fic. But I needed a shop for Hokuto and since she was always dressing Subaru up, I figured fashion designer is probably as good a profession for her as any. As for what the shop looks like, go watch Episode 20 of Fruits Basket. I can't recommend that anime enough. Its soooo wonderful. So many gorgeous bishounen with a combined angst level to rival X. I also figured since the Souma clan is so rich and powerful, the members ought to know the Sumeragis. Hokuto is clan head after all, and I think the Soumas might have tried asking the Sumeragis to exorcise the curse of the Juunishi. Also Hokuto and Ayame should be about the same age, 25, which could raise more possibilities that they know each other. Don't know what I'm talking about? The Soumas are a large clan who are cursed by the 12 animals of the Chinese Zodiac, plus the cat spirit, collectively called the Juunishi. Ayame is possessed by the Snake, he's the brother of the main character Souma Yuki, who is cursed to transform into the Mouse, a character with major angst. If anyone wants Aya to make another appearance, please let me know. Or give me your thoughts on how the story is doing for you.

Coming up... Kamui and Hokuto go on their date. But Seishirou-san shows up to spoil the party. Will our two heroes survive the day?