X/1999 Fan Fiction / Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Living For You ❯ Denouement ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the X characters. They belong to CLAMP. Ayame belongs to Natsuki Takaya. There's no way I could possibly own them. I can't draw, I can only write. Thanks to both for coming up with such wonderful characters to write about.

Chapter 5 Denouement

Stumbling out of the shop, Kamui let himself be led by Hokuto. He was blushing furiously especially when he realised Hokuto was still holding tightly onto his arm.

"Don't mind Aya, he's pretty overwhelming on first acquaintance," said Hokuto. Then she reconsidered and amended, "Actually he's pretty overwhelming most of the time. But he's got a good heart."

Kamui felt he ought not to like Ayame but found he couldn't. Foremost on his mind was the thought that if Hokuto really liked him, then he ought to be glad for her. In a fit of masochism he pursued the subject. "Have you known him long?"

"Oh yes, since forever it seems. Our families knew each other and well, I was asked if I could help them out with a problem they had. I haven't found the solution yet but Ayame and I got to be friends. He was there for me when I decided to cut ties with my family to chase after the Sakurazukamori," Hokuto said wistfully.

"I'm glad you had someone there for you," said Kamui. "But isn't it dangerous for Ayame-san? You know, all this dragon, heaven, earth, doomsday business?"

"I suppose I do worry a bit, but Aya is not without protection." Hokuto looked a little guilty. "Besides its hard to be alone." Then wanting to change the subject totally, Hokuto looked around and pointed, "Lets go try out that cafe."

Kamui was getting uncomfortable with the topic anyway so he was glad to turn the conversation to other things. The weather was still Spring going to Summer and the day was balmy so they opted for a table outside. Kamui was aware the two of them were gathering the attention of passers-by, as they made a pictureque couple. He thought it was only natural Hokuto would be looked at, she was so pretty. He was unaware that half the admiring glances shot their way were for him. Oddly enough, Hokuto had noticed some of the stares too but had apparently come to her own conclusion.

"Hey Kamui, those girls are looking at you. I think they must like you," she teased.

Kamui shook his head and wondered if her eyes were playing tricks on her. He had just been directing scowls at the group of men sitting at an opposite table oogling at her.

A waitress came by and took their orders, stammering and blushing all the while. Kamui was beginning to think the people around here were nitwits. Still the food came quickly and he set to his meal with a good appetite. The two talked easily about their likes and dislikes, just enjoying the process of finding out more about each other, the little things, like Hokuto liking strawberries or Kamui hating math. As for what they both liked, chocolate chip cookies and ice cream topped the list. All in all it was very pleasant.

Lunch done, check paid, the two decided to take a walk alongside one of the many waterways flowing through Tokyo.

"Oh Damn!" Kamui exclaimed involuntarily when he saw who was walking towards them. Hokuto had also seen him and appeared frozen in place.

The Sakurazukamori had also stopped, standing calmly a short distance away from them. As was always the case, a soft breeze fluttered around him, playing with his hair. Kamui was annoyed by how cool he always looked.

"Seishirou-san." The exhalation from Hokuto was so soft Kamui wasn't even sure he heard it. He looked at her and was startled by the expression on her face. She looked guilty as if she was a child caught doing something really naughty by a teacher.

"Wait a minute, there's no Kekkai here. What are you doing here?" Kamui was mad his lazy afternoon was getting interrupted.

"Unfinished business." The Sakurazukamori nodded in Hokuto's direction.

By his side, Kamui felt more than saw Hokuto surreptitiously take out some ofuda. Kamui let his brat personality take over and belligerently said, "You leave Hokuto alone. I'll fight you!"

The Sakurazukamori looked really amused at that. He chose to ignore Kamui and said, "Subaru..."

"Stop, don't you dare say that name!" Hokuto shouted.

Kamui looked over and saw Hokuto putting up her star-shaped Kekkai to surround them. The Sakurazukamori didn't appear worried to be facing two angry Dragons of Heaven. Instead he looked like a man who had a trump card up his sleeve.

Suddenly Hokuto gasped, clutching her hands to her chest. Kamui turned to see two bright red stars flaming at the back of Hokuto's hands. "Stop that! What are you doing to her?"

The Sakurazukamori ignored Kamui and continued speaking to Hokuto. "You're still my prey or have you forgotten that?"

"Then why didn't you just kill me all those years ago! Why did you have to kill my twin?" Hokuto's anguish tore at Kamui's heart.

"Because she asked me to. And there was no point killing someone who's catatonic."

"She... asked you?" Hokuto sounded shocked.

Kamui was beginning to get confused. He looked from one to the other. "She? Wait a minute. I thought Subaru was a boy?"

A blush spread across Hokuto's cheeks. The Sakurazukamori laughed, "Have you been hiding your secret from your Kamui?" Then he turned to Kamui and extended a hand saying, "Perhaps I ought to introduce you since you don't appear to have met. Kamui, meet Sumeragi Subaru. Subaru, Kamui."

"Please stop! Shut up! Hokuto is not dead, Subaru is! I don't deserve to live! Subaru is the one who's dead." Tears were streaking down Hokuto's face.

"Denial will get you nowhere. It's about time you start facing the truth." The Sakurazukamori said dryly.

Kamui was doing a good imitation of a goldfish out of water. His mind was reeling in shock.

"Why do you torment me? You knew how I felt about you." Hokuto, no Subaru, was getting really worked up.

"Yes, and you know how I feel about you. You lost the bet, that's all there is to it."

"You weren't being fair. What kind of monster makes a bet with a nine year old to make him fall in love!" Subaru cried.

"Life is not fair, Subaru-kun. Why do you think I want to destroy humanity?" said Seishirou, looking oddly sad. This was the first time Kamui had seen an expression that was not amusement on the Sakurazukamori's face.

"I can't let you do that. I'll stop you," said Subaru and began throwing ofuda at the Sakurazukamori.

The bird shikigamis dashed at Seishirou but were destroyed. A wave of his hand later and clouds of sakura petals began blowing past everyone as the landscape transformed.

Stunned, Kamui suddenly found himself tangled up in a mass of roots and vines, unable to enter the fray. Pulling at his restraints, he could feel his wounds reopening. To add insult to injury, the twines began blooming sakura till it looked like Kamui was in the center of a flower arrangement. A bunch of flowers tickled his ear. After being momentarily distracted, Kamui craned his head to look at how Subaru was faring in the battle.

Subaru wasn't holding up too well. The Sakurazukamori was getting past Subaru's guard, Subaru being too distraught to defend himself properly. Blood was flowing freely from a deep gash in his side and shoulder as he retreated from a large eagle that swooped at him. Suddenly a blast from the Sakurazukamori sent Subaru flying back to hit a wall. Kamui could practically hear bones crack as Subaru went down.

"Subaru!" Kamui screamed as he renewed his struggle to free himself. All around him he could see holes appearing around Subaru's Kekkai. The blank spots were growing larger and larger as Subaru fought not to lose consciousness.

As the Kekkai fell, Kamui's bonds came away as well. Running over to Subaru, Kamui threw a psychic blast at the Sakurazukamori. The Sakurazukamori staggered back though he was able to shield mostly against it. Sakurazuka Seishirou looked very annoyed at Kamui for jumping into the fray.

Kamui threw himself over Subaru as a fresh attack from the huge eagle shikigami was launched. The eagle's claws scored sharp gashes across Kamui's back. He knew he wasn't going to be able to last much longer. In desperation, he blew apart a twenty foot section of a wall from a building near them and levitated it to smash at the Sakurazukamori. That appeared to have hurt him because next thing Kamui knew, the Sakurazukamori had vanished. Looking around, Kamui realised the Subaru's Kekkai was down and the Dragon of Earth had probably escaped.

~~~~~

Notes: Well there you have it, the big secret. In the tradition of many animes, heroes have the tendancy to take on the personas of their dead sisters. My initial inspiration was the cross-dressing Nuriko from Fushigi Yuugi. And Korin wasn't even Nuriko's twin. Then there was Weiss Kreuz's Ran aka Aya Fujimiya. I'm supposing Subaru's guilt over Hokuto's sacrifice could have made him hide his own personality. I subscribe to the thought that Subaru IS mentally deranged. My Subaru though would try to act like Hokuto, so no smoking, as Hokuto didn't like it. Also designing clothes was something Hokuto appeared to have enjoyed so Subaru would have imitated her by do it too. I just like to think that if Subaru put his mind to it, he would have better taste to come up with nicer outfits than the outrageous stuff Hokuto made. And it also explains the mood changes Hokuto goes through. Subaru is acting genki like he thinks Hokuto would act but sometimes he slips up and becomes morose because Subaru is naturally morose. As for how he could pass as a girl, well, in the anime and manga, everyone is always talking about how pretty Subaru is. If anyone has seen the recent Asuka where Sakurazukamori Subaru grew his hair longer, then you'd know how easily he can pass for a girl. The guy is just soooo cute! Grandma Sumeragi would have known of course and tried to get help for Subaru, though the Sumeragis would have kept the mental condition a big secret, being a asian traditional family with a desire not to 'lose face'. Subaru not wanting to change would have run away and hidden with Souma Ayame. And yes, that's why Ayame can hug Subaru without the curse of the Juunishi activating! So kudos to all those who spotted it in the last chapter and figured things out. As for Kamui being straight or gay, well I just don't know. My outlook is that at this point these two are very close friends.

Coming up... Can Kamui forgive Subaru for keeping such a big secret? Our two heroes angst about their lives. Stay tuned.