X-men Evolution Fan Fiction ❯ Starting Today ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: You're crazy if you think I own the X-Men
O-o-o-o-O
"PULL!"
dodge
charge
toss
BOOM
"Again, mon ami!"
Remy blew up the brick that Piotr threw at him with ease, having a new card ready in his hand to charge almost as soon as the first one left. Faster and faster he moved, starting to take out the bricks almost as soon as they were thrown. Now out of bricks, the metal-skinned mutant charged at Remy, planning to bowl him over; but the thief pulled out his staff to vault over Piotr, and landing behind him, made a swift turn and swept his opponent off his feet with the adamantium pole.
"All that metal makes you too slow!"
Piotr muttered a few curses in Russian under his breath and got up to repeat his attack. Again and again Remy dodged the charges and blows, moving through the air almost effortlessly. He could do these exercises almost in his sleep, the instinctive movements giving him the opportunity to clear his head and focus on his current dilemma.
Rogue.
He hadn't expected her to walk out on him like that, and she'd given him food for thought. She apparently was going to be a greater challenge than he thought, and he'd have to rethink his approach. How does one seduce a person deprived of one of the most basic senses, and considers everyone around her a painful reminder of what she can't have?
And why the hell was he doing this anyway?
Okay, so she was beautiful. Scratch that, she was the most divine creature he'd ever seen. But it was likely that he'd never be able to touch her, to feel that creamy skin under his fingers, taste that mouth that he just knew would be incredibly sweet. Like everyone else, he liked to have his cake and eat it too. Dieu, the thoughts that brings up..concentrate, Remy Having something at arms length was just not his style. But there was such a fire to her, a passion buried deep inside that he could sense just dying to be let out. And damn it, he wanted to be the one to experience it. There was no one in this hick town that could be a match for her the way he could; he just needed to make her see that.
So she wants the diamonds and gold but thinks she can't steal without breaking the prize. Maybe she just needs to learn there's more than one way to get what you want.
But first I need to get her to talk to me again, neh?
BAM!
"Comrade, you are supposed to be paying attention."
"Dieu, Piotr, thanks for the...ouch..reminder"
Note to self: no spacing out around large metallic Russians.
O-o-o-o-O
Monday again. Oh joy. She supposed she should be happy; going to school would give her a reason to do something other than think about Friday night and the all too brief time she had spent with the Cajun. No, Remy. She loved the way the name tasted on her tongue. It was the kind of name that should be purred instead of spoken; but as much as she wouldn't mind practicing how it felt, she would definitely get some strange looks if she went around saying Remy all weekend.
Why on earth had she walked out on him? Despite the barriers she put up around herself, there was a tiny part of her that she usually tried to ignore that actually wanted someone to try to get around the walls she made and find the person behind them. And now that was happening.
But why did it have to be HIM?
Of all the people in the world, it had to be Magneto's Cajun thief of a lackey. That cocky, stubborn, conceited ass. speaking of asses..stop drooling Rogue She insulted him, cursed at him, even slapped him; still he pursued her.
And she walked out on him. He saw right past her façade, and she left him sitting there in the coffee house. She had been right with her analogy; she did see people as jewels in a store that she could never steal. She just couldn't let him know that he was the brightest jewel of all.
School was crazy as always, but Rogue was on a sort of autopilot, only half acknowledging what was going on around her. She was trying to decide what she was going to do about Remy. Was he being sincere or was he just trying to play some kind of game with her? Even if he was being sincere, how do you date someone you're supposed to be fighting? The whole thing was making her want to bang her head against the wall; no, better yet, HIS head. Why should she suffer alone?
She stopped at her locker to get the books for her last class, thoughts of giving that swamp rat a headache making her smirk. Her smile stopped when she saw the little silver box sitting on top of the books in her locker. What the hell?
Looking around to make sure she wasn't being watched, Rogue opened the lid on the box and gazed down at the contents. Lying there on a bed of cotton was a delicate chain of silver holding a small pendant in the shape of a mask; black enamel with tiny rubies for eyes. In the box, beneath the necklace, was a note.
Chere,
Please forgive this Cajun if I drove you away the other night. That's the last thing I wanted, but to see a beautiful thing such as yourself hide away from the world is sad beyond words. You say you want the gold and jewels of life; they can be had without destroying them. The mask you wear hides too much, maybe even from yourself I think. Perhaps you could try wearing this one instead? It would look so much better on you.
I would like to talk to you again; tomorrow at the park after school, your favorite tree?
Til then ma petite,
-R
The necklace was beautiful. Rogue gazed at it for a moment, the colors a clear reminder of those eyes she could never look away from, and slipped it around her neck, tucking the pendant beneath the collar of her shirt. She pondered the words of the note. He wants to see me again. I walked out on him, but he wants to see me again. He thinks I'm beautiful.
She touched the chain of the necklace as she headed to class, making a mental note to herself not to get a ride after school tomorrow. She was going window shopping.
O-o-o-o-O