X-Men Fan Fiction / W.I.T.C.H. Fan Fiction / Maximum Ride Fan Fiction ❯ WildFire ❯ A Dark Night ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*Chapter Five*~
~A Dark Night~
 
“Don't ask me how I figured this out, alright? And, actually, I'm not quite sure how myself,” Artemis said, and Phoenix nodded in response. “It was a dark night, and my mother couldn't see anything. She was running away from an evil raccoon-bird-thing. She tripped, and I flew from her arms into a river. An old lady found me and sent me to the orphanage with her son, because he worked there. I grew up there, and no one knew my name, and since the lady found me under a full moon, she called me Artemis,” She said, glancing at Phoenix.
 
“One question: If there was a full moon, how could your mother not see?”
 
“She was in a forest; the trees blocked the moon's light. I don't know what forest, or even where it is.”
 
For a moment, both girls sat in silence, each lost in their own thoughts. Artemis began to make a few marbles that she had in the cup holder spin and twirl around the steering wheel.
 
“Show off,” Phoenix muttered, picking up the slingshot the marbles went to. “Why do you always carry this thing around?” She asked, holding up the slingshot for a moment then placed it back where it had been.
 
“I don't know, protection, I guess…it's kind of fun to mess around with too.”
 
“Is there any more to your story,” Phoenix asked, getting back on subject.
 
“That night, at the orphanage, there was a lightning storm; lightning struck me, and my half-crystal materialized around my neck,” Artemis finished, sighing.
 
“Wow,” was all that Phoenix could say.