X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ Absence ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Hi. Well here's my latest fic. Ever heard of the saying `Absence makes the heart grow fonder' (I think that's the way it goes). Well that's where I got the idea for this story. I hope you like it. It's different, though. Anyways please R&R! This takes place right after Self Possessed.
 
Disclaimer: I don't own X-men Evolution.
 
Chapter 1:
 
“Rogue? Aren't you hungry?” Professor Xavier, the founder of the Xavier Institute for Gifted Youngsters, asked his student, who he had noticed was not eating.
 
The entire student body and the instructors were all sitting around the table having dinner.
 
“Everyone except Evan,” Rogue thought, bitterly.
 
Rogue, on the other hand, had only been moving her food from side to side on her plate. Having not taking a single bite.
 
She looked up at the Professor with sad eyes, “Ah'm actually not feeling too good. Ah think ah'm going up ta mah room. If that's ok wit' ya?”
 
“All right,” the professor said, sympathetically, “Just call if you need anything.”
 
Everyone looked towards her to see if she was ok. They were all worried about her and she could tell.
 
“Thank ya Professor,” she said. Then she stood up and walked out of the dining room and up the stairs.
 
It had been a couple days since the incident with her powers and she only escaped from the med lab the previous day. Which in the Professor and Mr. McCoy's opinion was too soon.

And it had only been a week and a half since Evan had left the X-men. Not only did he leave his closest friends but Mystique had also betrayed her all in the same week. This was enough to make anyone sick. And Rogue was definitely feeling the effects.
 
Rogue's room was one of the last ones on the floor where everyone slept. When the mansion was rebuilt, it was built with more rooms just so everyone could have their own.
 
As she was approaching her room she stopped in front of the door right next to her room.
 
Evan's room.
 
She remembered how he would turn up his skater music to ear drum breaking volumes and how she would always bang on the wall warning him to turn it off. He never did. And she always ended up having to go in there threatening to absorb him.
 
He really pissed her off sometimes. And she would give anything to get that back.
 
His room was always full of life. It was the room where Kurt and Evan would devise their evil pranks, where some of the X-men and the new recruits would go to hang out. Rogue never did, though. But now she wished she had.
 
Rogue stared at the door in front of her. It hadn't been opened since the day he left. No one wanted to go in. No one even wanted to remember he even existed. Everyone had moved on with their lives like no one was missing. Even his own aunt had seemingly moved on
 
“Some friends we are,” she said out loud, “Well ah'm not going ta forget.”
 
She opened the door and stepped into the room closing the door behind her.
 
She didn't turn on the light; the light from the moon seeped through the windows allowing her enough light to see.
 
She went to his bed and sat on it.
 
“Where are ya sleeping right now Evan?” she thought sadly.
 
She looked around his room taking in everything she saw.
 
There were posters on the wall of those god-awful bands that Rogue hated, but Evan had loved. She smiled when she remembered how he had tried to put those posters up on the rec room walls; that had really pissed off Kitty. The posters had always ended up back in his room courtesy of one of the X-men taking them down. He gave up trying after awhile, saying they had no taste for real good music.
 
She laughed at the memory.
 
She continued to look around, she stood up and looked at his stereo; his CD's were all scattered around it. Some of the cases open as if he was just about to listen to them, like he had just been listening to them a second ago.
 
There were clothes scattered here and there and even some of his underwear.
 
“It's lahke ya never left, Porcupine,” she said out loud, grabbing one of his pillows and sitting back down on his bed.
 
“Why did ya leave?” she asked, the air around her the only audience, “Ya could have stayed. No one would have cared if ya looked different. We were your friends, we could have helped ya.”
 
She sighed in frustration and exhaustion, “But ya left. Ya left all of us. Ya left meh.”
 
She stood up, suddenly angry,” Arrgg… Why tha hell do ah care so much?” she said, throwing the pillow on to the bed.
 
She had no idea why she was feeling the way she felt. Maybe it was because she felt like he betrayed their friendship, hers and his, his and the X-men's, when he left for the Morlocks. And Mystique betraying her, pretending to be her friend didn't help her jumbled, confused emotions.
 
She flopped onto the bed with resignation, “We miss ya Evan. Ah miss ya.”
 
She sat there letting that thought sink in, staring around the room, when something in the corner of the room caught her eye.
 
She stood up and walked across the room, curious to see what it was.
 
His skateboard and his helmet.
 
The two things he almost never parted with. And yet here they were and he was nowhere to be seen.
 
“How are ya getting along wit' out these stupid things?” she said.
 
She could never remember a time that she didn't see him with his skateboard. She also remembered a couple of times when she wanted to break the thing in half, especially when he came barreling down the hallways nearly running her down.
 
“He may be able ta live wit' out them, but ah think he'd be happier wit' them,” she thought to herself.
 
She grabbed the helmet, the skateboard and one of the smaller pillows and quietly climbed out of the window.
 
Having every intention of making sure he wasn't miserable.
 
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~++~+~+~+~++~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~++~+~++~++~+~+~++~
 
Well I hope you guys liked it. I really want to continue this story, so I hope you'll keep reading it.
 
I made the episodes X-treme measures, The Toad, the witch and the wardrobe and Self Possessed all occur in the span of about a week.
 
Next up: Evan's thoughts and feelings.
 
Please Review. Tell me what you think.
 
Thanks.