X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ HANDS OF A STRANGER ❯ ON HER OWN ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

IN THE HANDS OF A STRANGER
 
PART ONE: ON HER OWN
 
By Spark187
 
 
THIS IS MY TAKE ON THE EVENTS THAT MAY TRANPIRE AFTER X-MEN THREE: THE LAST STAND. WITH SCOTT AND JEAN BOTH DEAD AND THE PROFESSOR ALSO PRESUMED DEAD, THE SCHOOL'S FUTURE NOW RESTS ON STORM'S SHOULDERS. WOLVERINE HAS LEFT AGAIN AFTER RECEIVING A MYSTERIOUS NOTE FROM AN OLD FRIEND. ROGUE IS HAVING TROUBLE ADJUSTING WITHOUT HER POWERS AND FEELS BOBBY NO LONGER LOVES HER. HER JEALOUY OVER HIS AND KITTY'S FRIENDSHIP IS TOO MUCH FOR HER TO BARE SO SHE LEAVES FOR PARTS UNKNOWN. HER JOURNEY BEGINS AT THE AIRPORT WHEN SHE TAKES A CHANCE FLIGHT TO NEW ORLEANS. SO OUR STORY BEGINS…
 
 
Rogue shifted nervously in the cab on the way to the airport. She felt like a coward for running away like she did. It wasn't Bobby's fault what happened between them. She wanted to hate him and Kitty for humiliating her like they did, but they weren't to blame. When she saw them kissing near the basketball court in plain sight for everyone to see she wanted nothing more than to suck them both dry of all their energy. There was one problem. She no longer had her powers. In taking the cure she hoped to become normal again, and she was in a way, but that didn't stop Bobby's betrayal. She felt a sickness in the pit of her stomach. Now all she wanted to do was run.
“Hey, kid,” the cab driver said. “We're here. That'll be 9.85.”
She handed the cabdriver a ten and said while getting out of the cab, “Keep the change.”
“Yea, thanks a lot.”
Rogue threw her duffel bag over her shoulder and entered the airport. She saw that the airport wasn't that crowded and that was good because she hated crowds, especially before she lost her powers. She wondered now if she really gave them up for herself or for Bobby. After the way things turned out she wondered.
She walked up to the ticket booth and waited her turn. There were two people in front of her, a young mother in her early twenties with a little boy around three years old. He was throwing a temper tantrum while the mother was yelling at him to stop. There was an old man approaching the ticket booth. She could overhear him.
“I just got to get to Chicago, my daughter havin' her first baby.”
“Sorry, sir, the only flight that's available leaves tomorrow morning.”
“I'll take it,” he said in defeat.
It seemed like an eternity before it was her turn. When she reached the ticket booth the woman said, “Where to?” Rogue wasn't paying any attention. “Excuse me, ma'am,” she said louder.
“Huh,” Rogue said finally coming back down to earth. “Say somethin'?”
“Where would you like to go?” The woman mouthed the words sarcastically.
“Ah don't know? Where's, good?” she asked.
The woman pointed to the board. Rogue wanted the get out of there fast. She wanted to put as much distance between her and Bobby as possible. She saw that the next flight left in ten minutes.
“Um, New Orleans, please,” she said.
“Leaving at gate 5,” the woman said. “Have a nice flight.” The tone of the woman's voice infuriated Rogue. The way she was feeling she might have absorbed her just to teach her a lesson, but again she remembered she didn't have her powers anymore.
She picked up her bag with her ticket in hand and ran as fast as she could to gate five. She didn't want to miss her flight. On entering the plane she wondered what would happen to her now. She wasn't that scared little girl she was when she first came to the institute. She had been protected and cared for there. It was at a time in her life that she needed it. That structure was now gone and the prospects of life on her own terrified her.
The flight was somewhat uneventful. She took the time to think about what she was going to do. She had enough money to live on for the next couple of months or so if she didn't go crazy, but money wasn't her first concern. What would she do with herself. It seemed like she was in the same situation she was in last time except now she didn't have her powers.
In a few hours the plane landed. The flight attendant gave her a strange look. Rogue thought it must have been the white streak in her hair. She wasn't born that way, but that's what she told people. It was much easier than trying to explain what really happened. Then she thought who would believe a bizarre story like that.
When she exited the airport she tried her best to flag down a cab. She had no set plan when she came here, it was more of a whim. She needed to find a hotel to stay in until she figured out what to do. Finally she saw a cab. She ran as fast as she could. She caught up with it at a stop light and practically ran right in front of it.
“Ya crazy, girl,” the cabby yelled, sticking his head halfway out the window.
“Sorry, but ah need a ride real bad.”
“Get in,” he said. As she was entering the cab she heard him grumbling something but she couldn't make it out. “Where to, kid?”
“Nearest hotel, but too expensive.”
“Yea, yea,” he grumbled.
The ride lasted all of ten minutes. Rogue paid her fare and looked at the place. Shea Motel, not the nicest place she ever seen but it would do. She saw an old drunk walking towards the front steps. He almost fell over on top of her. She jumped back startled. She wasn't sure if the guy really scared her, or if she just wasn't used to touching people yet. The Motel looked like one of those old brownstones like she saw in New York, but this one was a lot more run-down. She walked up the three stone steps to the entrance door and made her way inside. It didn't look like much from the outside but at least it looked fairly clean on the inside.
She walked up to the front desk where she saw a woman looking to be in her forties smoking a cigar.
“Ah'd like a room, please,” she said.
“Yea, honey, whatever your pleasure.”
She could tell the woman wasn't a native. She didn't have any kind of accent at all. “Hey, Burn,” she shouted. “Get the lady's bags.”
“Ah, Sally, don' yah see we's playin' cards.”
“Just get your worthless Cajun ass over here.”
“Yeah, `kay.”
“It's alright, only got one,” Rogue said.
“Okay, sweetie, here's your key. Burn'll show yah to your room.” Sally was still waiting for him. “Burn!” she shouted. “What I tell yah.”
He growled a bit. “Let's be goin', girly.”
Burn escorted Rogue to her room. She was grateful because all she wanted to do now was sleep. She didn't even bother unpacking. She just plopped down on the bed and fell asleep still in her traveling clothes. She was so tired that she didn't even notice that she left the door wide open.
A few hours later she awoke to find someone on top of her, it was the old drunk she bumped into outside the motel. She wanted to scream but nothing would come out. Don't panic, she told herself. That's the worst thing yah can do. She remembered all those danger room sessions and some sort of instinct kicked in. With the man's hand on her throat and arms pinned down, her legs were still free so she gave him a good kick in the crotch. He rolled off of her howling in pain while she stumbled onto the floor. That gave her enough time to get to her feet and run for the door. As soon as she reached it he grabbed her from behind.
“Hey, girly, that not nice.”
He had his hands around her neck so she used all her pent up strength to flip him over, well almost. It didn't actually go off like that but it did give her enough time to grab her bag and run out of the room. She ran down the stairs and out the front door onto the streets of New Orleans.
“Well, that place was a waste a time, plus, yah almost got yahself killed.”
So she started walking. She was hungry anyway and wanted to find a bite to eat. This trip ain't turnin' out so great. She said to herself. She was starting to regret leaving altogether now. She found a little bar and grill not too far from the motel. She went in. It was crowded and that made her feel uneasy. She didn't like crowds. She tried to tell herself that it was all in her head, mainly because she didn't have her powers anymore. Can't hurt by touching anymore. Those days were gone.
She sat down at a table near the back. Soon a waiter approached. “Wha' be yo' pleasure?”
“Don't know, what d' you recommend?”
“Don' worry, chere', Jaque bring yah somethin' tasty.”
The bar was bustling that night, men playing cards or pool and a few drunks getting thrown out. She just sat quietly at her table waiting for the waiter to bring her food. Suddenly the mood of the bar changed. It got suddenly quiet. A man in a trenchcoat entered and Rogue noticed many patrons burying their heads in their drinks.
“Hey, Remy,” the bartender said as the man in the trenchcoat sat down at the bar. “T'e usual.”
“Oui, Jaque, but a...make it a double, neh?”
“So where yah been? Ain't seen yah `round. Too busy wid da ladies to visit ole friends.”
“Neh? Jus' got some t'ings goin'?”
“Don' wanna know,” he said.
“Won' tell yah anyways,” he said, stretching out across the bar. Rogue had been watching him the entire time and he had just noticed her. “Who dat? Haven't seen her `fore?”
“Don' know, ole Rem, mos' be fro' outta town.”
“An here, ole Remy t'inks yah hidin' somet'ing.” Both men laughed at the comment. Rogue looked away when she relieved he was staring at her. “Hey, Jaque, plate a' jambalaya, and bring it to dat table over dere.”
“Wha'ever yah say.”
He approached her table which made her shutter. “Seat taken?” he asked. She shook her head no. She sat stiffly avoiding his face. “Hey, dere, pretty lady no eat `lone.”
He sat down next to her. She then looked up at him and noticed that he was wearing sunglasses. That's strange, at night. Her first instinct told her that he had something to hide.
“Don' mind if ah sit wid you?” She shook her head no. Something about him was making her nervous. “Pretty lady no talk.” He smiled which eased her a little. “Dat be okay. My name's Remy. What be yours?”
She saw that he held out his hand. She took it reluctantly. “Umm… Ah'm...ah…Rogue.” She folded her hands across her lap. She was still nervous about people touching her.
“Ain' neva seen you `fore. Wher' yah from?”
“Nowhere,” she said softly. It was true. She had no home anymore, but it was by choice this time. She couldn't go back, but she wasn't sure if she could go forward. “Ah just got here today. You?”
“Lived here mah whole life.” She found herself staring at him again. He noticed too. “Like what yah see?”
She turned away again knowing her face had turned beet red. She couldn't understand why he came to sit down next to her. She didn't ask for company, didn't want company, but still he was here and she didn't want him to leave. For the life of her she couldn't figure out why.
“Maybe ah do? What about you?” She found herself flirting with him, and she liked it.
“Wouldn' wanna sit `ere if ah din't.”
She found herself smiling at him, and by the time the food came they were laughing. “Hey, Jaque, best jambalaya in town.”
She hesitated with the spoon for a moment. “Go on, chere, be good fo' yah.”
She started to relax a little, thanks to Remy. She had then decided this trip was worth the trouble after all. After the meal was over he said, “Can I `scort ya somewheres.”
“Ahh, no, ah…” She became all tongue-tied, and she didn't want to tell him about the fiasco at the motel.
“Nowhere tah go, chere'?” he asked.
“Somethin' like that,” she said. That was as truthful as she wanted to be.
“Don' worry. You stay wid me, neh?” That uneasy feeling came over her again. He noticed it right away. “Don' worry, chere', I be perfect gentleman, promise?”
She didn't know why but she trusted him. “Alright,” she said hesitantly.
They walked out of the bar together. Two of the men playing pool looked up at them in disgust and one whispered something to the other. Rogue didn't like it. Something about it didn't sound right.
“How you like N'leans so far?”
“Don' know, only been here few hours. Kinda a last minute trip.”
“Ya running from somethin' dere?”
“Umm…sorta…ah came from New York. Ah just couldn't stay there no more and ahh…jumped on the first plane out.”
“Ahh, ole Remy done dat plenty a'times. Always comes back.”
He took her to the back parking lot where he stopped in front of a motorcycle.
“This yahr ride?”
“Is now, chere.” He got on the bike and revved up the motor. “Comin'?”
She hesitated for a moment until she heard shouts coming from the edge of the parking lot. “Hey, you!” a man shouted. “That's my bike!”
“Now o' neva, chere'.” He held out a hand and she grabbed on. “Hol' on tight.” She wrapped her arms around him. Before she knew it they took off down the street. She never felt so free in all her life. She felt like they had been riding forever but felt disappointed once they stopped.
Remy got off the bike first then helped her down. “Where are we?” she asked.
“Mah place,” he said. He slid up closer to her, his lips almost touching hers. She backed up a bit. “Hey, somthin' wrong, ole Remy don' bite.”
“No, ah, just… ain't used tah being touched.”
“Somebody mus' a' hurt yah real bad, eh?”
She shook her head. “No, just don't like touchin' is all.”A sullen look came to her face.
“Ey, don' be so sad, touchin' don't hurt.” He put his hand on her face, his skin to her. She jerked a little at first but then saw that nothing had happened. She smiled.
He took the bike to the back shed and opened the pad lock and placed it inside. No one in the building but him ever used the old shed. It was so run-down that nobody thought it was safe.
“It be cold out here. Come inside.”
He held out his hand, and she reluctantly took it. He led her into the building, it was a mixture stone and brick, The foundation a little worn where the cement had been crumbling. She didn't care how bad the place looked as long as she didn't have to go back to that god awful motel. Being attacked like that was one time she still wished she had her powers. She so wanted to put a hurt on that guy.
Then she thought about Remy. He looked a bit gruff in places but she must have looked the same. Something about him appealed to her. She wondered about those sunglasses. Why wouldn't he take them off? She wanted desperately to see his eyes.
As they went into the building she asked him, “Why yah wore those sunglasses?”
He turned to her with a sly smile and said, “Why yah wore dem gloves?” She laughed at that. “See dare. We both have our secrets.”
He led her up three flights of stairs and down a long hallway. He reached into one of pockets and got out a key. It was gold and shined in the dark hallway. He opened the door and escorted her inside.
She looked around. The place wasn't very clean. She saw some empty pizza boxes, some foam food trays and pile of dirty clothes. She looked at him with hint of disapproval. “Yah live here.”
“Remy ain't much for housekeepin'.”
He hurried to remove some of the garbage and cleared a space on the couch for her to sit. He came to sit down next to her. “So, yah steal that motorcycle?”
“Non, he no do not'ing. Owe me one.” He looked into her eyes, they were a deep rich green. He found himself getting lost in them. “Ah, swear, dos' be the prettiest eyes I eva see.”
She smiled, shifting awkwardly. “What `bout youh's. Can't really see through those glasses.”
He got up from the couch. “Yah won' like what yah see.”
She got up, too. “How yah know if yah don't eva show `em.”
He turned around, looking at her through the dim light. “What kina girl are ya?”
She approached him and raised her hands to his face. She took a hold of the sunglasses. He instinctively grabbed her arm, but before he could stop her, she removed the glasses. She saw the red glow of his eyes. Thinking she would scream in terror he turned his face away. He had let go her arm, thinking he would hear her running down the hallway, but all was quiet. He turned back to see her still standing there, not shocked or flinching at his presence, just standing there looking at him with a smile on her face.
At that moment he leaned in and kissed her. She backed away a little. She saw the hurt look in his eyes. “Sorry, ah'm just not used tah touchin'.”
He took her hand, “That alright, ain't used tah people seein' mah eyes.”
“They're nice... like that kiss. It was nice, too.”
This time she leaned in and kissed him long and hard. He pulled her tight towards him, getting a bit carried away. He ran his hands up and down her back and down to her bottom. His hands clutched tightly which caused her to pull away. Her breathing was heavy. She thought to herself, What yah think yah doin, ya don't even know 'em.
“Ah should go,” she said and headed for the door.
He raced to the door before she could reach it. “Please, stay. Remy don' get much company. I promise I behave myself.”
She thought, Ah know ah should go, but ah really don't want tah. “Ah can't,” she finally said.
“Non. It be alright. You take the bedroom. I sleep out here.” She stayed silent, hesitating to leave. “Ahh, come on.”
She smiled at him and said, “Alright…but just one night.”
Remy led her away from the door and back to the couch. They talked for a while, until Remy noticed that Rogue was yawning. “Gettin' tired, chere.”
“Maybe a little,” she said. She rose from her seat and he followed suit. “Y'be needin' anyt'hing I be right out here.”
“Nice t'know,” she said just above a whispered. At that moment he bent down to kiss her. Her lips felt soft and wet against his. He leaned in further wanting more. She back up forcing him to stop. She was shaking a little.
He realized what he had done. He had scared her. “Sorry, chere, didn't mean tah...Y'jus' look so pretty, couldn't help myself.”
She saw the hurt look in his eyes. “No, yah just surprised me. That's all. Ain't used tah...” her voice trailed off.
“Hey, somebody do somet'hing to y'?” he asked.
“No, not really. Ah'm usually the one doin' the hurtin'.”
“Ole Remy don' be believin' dat. Girl as beautiful as you couldn't hurt nobody.”
“Ah ain't beautiful,” she said, almost in tears. “Why yah be saying ah am?”
“Cause ya are, anyone tell yah dat your not be lying, or jus' plain ass stupid.”
She laughed a little at his assessment. “Thanks,” she said giving him a quick kiss. “Goodnight,” she said walking over the bedroom.
She opened the door and walked in. She didn't look to see if he was watching, but she knew that he was. She closed the door behind her. Her heart was beating so fast, not even Bobby made her feel like this. It excited her and scared her at the same time. There really was no pressure when she was with Bobby. He couldn't touch her, and she couldn't touch him. But now things were different. Since receiving the cure she could touch. How she wished she could forget herself. How she wished he would just come charging into the room, and throw her down on that bed and do whatever he wanted. She wouldn't object, and that's what scared her.
She was glad to see the bedroom wasn't as messy as the living room, but not by much, at least there was no empty pizza boxes laying around. She could hear him walking around from outside the door. She didn't dare open it to see what he was up to. She just let her imagination take hold. What are you doin', girl. Yah don't even know him. Am ah turnin' inta some kinda whore just `cause ah can touch?
She laughed to herself and went over to her bag to put on some night clothes. She didn't pack much, just a nightshirt. She had left all her nightgowns back at the school. What did she need them for? As she put it on she thought to herself, Ah wonder what he wears to bed. Oh, hush, girl, there yah go thinkin' dirty again. She laughed again. It was kinda exciting being here with a stranger, kinda dangerous, too. Logan would scold her if he knew she was being so reckless.
The sleep was really hitting her now. She decided it was best to crawl under the covers before she fell on the floor. The bed was comfortable enough. She could smell the sheets. There was an aroma of musk. She wondered if was his cologne. If it was she liked it. It was funny. The whole plane trip here all she could think of was Bobby. Not only how he humiliated her with Kitty, but how much she loved him, but did she? It seemed the only person on her mind tonight was Remy, and she didn't know why.
She fell into sleep easy unaware that Remy was right outside the door. He paced around the living room, desperately trying to clean up the mess. Place look like a landfill, he said to himself.De femme probably t'inks Remy a slob. Well, y'are one. He never cared what anyone thought before, why was she any different. Even from across the room he could still hear her breathing. Just the look of her excited him. Not only was she beautiful, but there was something behind those eyes, some kind of pain. And why was she so afraid to touch? It was more than him surprising her with that kiss, she freaked even at a handshake. He would find out what, but for now she slept, not that he would be doing much of that on this lumpy couch.
The next morning Rogue woke up late. The smell of frying bacon was what finally woke her. She rose out of bed, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. She grabbed her bag the walked into the bathroom. She looked around. The bathroom was really bare. Just a few drops of shampoo was left. There was a tube of toothpaste, but it had been pretty much squeezed dry. Thankfully she had brought some. She turned on the shower, letting the water get hot. She looked over by the toilet and said, “Well, at least he has a towel.” She picked it up and smelled it. It seemed okay. “A used towel's better than none,” she said and as took off her clothes and stepped into the shower.
Remy was in the kitchen preparing breakfast when he heard the water running. “Ah, de femme be awake.”
He waited patiently for her to emerge. It was twenty minutes before she came out, her hair still wet. A few beads of water still lay on her forehead. She walked into the living room and received a shock.
Remy approached her a smile on his face, “Chere approve?”
“Yea,” she said, noticing he had cleaned everything up. “It looks nice.” She smiled back at him.
“Are yah hungry? I made breakfast.”
“Yah know, that's what woke me,” She took a whiff. “Mmm...smells good. Ah can't cook a lick.”
“Never fear, cherie, Remy fill yah up.”
She wondered what he truly meant by that. She couldn't help thinking how different this man was from Bobby. Yea, Bobby, why was she thinking of him? He was the one who cheated on her. Maybe this guy would too, but she wasn't thinking of that. She was thinking how she wanted to get back at Bobby for humiliating her. And to think she was prepared to give herself to him. Since receiving the cure it was possible. Then she wondered if he had cheated on her long before. She wouldn't have blamed him then, after all he couldn't touch her then. She knew he and Kitty kissed once before. They were ice skating late at night on the grounds. She watched them from her bedroom window. It was then that she decided to take the cure. She wasn't going to lose him to Kitty. Now she could touch him without her hurting him. The cure had changed everything. They could finally be together the way they always wanted. Why now did he decide to ruin it.
Rogue walked into the kitchen where she found Remy had pulled out a chair for her. “Thank yah,” she said. He was being so sweet to her. Maybe she would decide to get back at Bobby with this guy. Still, why did she care about Bobby? He obviously didn't care about her. Besides, she believed she really liked this guy, even had a dream about him the night before.
She sat down to a breakfast of beacon and eggs. She took a bit. She jerked a little.
“Somet'ing wrong, chere?”
“No, just a bit spicy,” she said. The smile he'd been wearing had disappeared. “Oh, no, don't worry, ah like spicy.” She laughed a little. “Haven't eaten like this in a while. Been livin' up North too long, ah guess.”
“So, yah like Cajun style?”
“Very much,” she said. She sounded nervous again. Why was he making her nervous. He seemed nice enough, though a bit of a flirt. “Yah always make breakfast for strange women?”
“Only the beautiful ones.” His statement made her blush. This he noticed right off, but he didn't say anything. She could feel him staring at her as she was eating. The feeling gave her goose bumps all over. Why am ah so nervous, he seems nice enough.
“Ah guess ah betta be goin' soon,” she said. “Ah don't wanna impose on yah more than ah already have.”
“Yah haven't, chere. Remy like havin' yah around.”
“Really?”
He nodded and took another bite of his breakfast. “Remy could show yah round. Would yah like that?”
“Sure, why not?” She smiled back at him. She finished the last few bites of her breakfast. “That was good. I haven't eaten like that in a long time.”
“Remy glad yah liked it, chere.”
“Well, since yah made breakfast. Ah'll do the dishes. Don't want yah tah say ah don't earn mah keep.” She got up from her seat ready to collect the dirty dishes. Remy stopped her.
“Non. You Remy guest. My job to wait on you.”
She thought about arguing but decided it would be pointless. Suddenly her cell phone started to ring. Who could that be? she thought to herself. She looked at the caller ID. It was Bobby.
“Ah gotta take this,” she said. He nodded and she walked into the living room while Remy cleaned up the kitchen. “Hello,” she said.
“Rogue, where are you?” Bobby asked with urgency.
“None a your business,” she fired. She kept her voice low. “Why yah callin' me anyway.”
“Because I'm worried about you. Everyone is. Logan's practically going nuts trying to find you.”
“Hey, Logan's back?”
“Yea, he called wanting to talk to you, but Jubilee let spill that you took off.”
“Ohh,” was all she could say.
“You know, he tracked you all the way to the airport. Then the trail went cold. He was so mad he could ripped the place apart. He would have if Storm hadn't stop him. He blames me for you leaving, you know. He almost beat the crap out of me.”
“You'd deserve it.”
“Hey, I feel guilty enough. Please, just tell us where you are, and we'll come pick you up.”
“No, Bobby, ah ain't comin' back. Ah don't belong there anymore.”
“Yes, you do, Rogue. I love you, and I miss you.”
“Don't lie, Bobby. If yah loved me so much why were yah kissin' Kitty. That hurt...so much ah can't even be around yah. It made me wonder what else yah been goin'.
“Rogue, I swear. I never...”
“Just tell the others ah'm fine and ah'm sorry, but ah just can't come back.”
“Rogue, please, can't you just forgive, and we can start over again.”
“No, Bobby, it's too late for that. I gave up mah powers just so we could be t'gether and yah go an' do this...again.”
“Again? What...? Oh, you knew about that.”
“Yea, Bobby, ah knew, and I forgave you. This time I can't. It's obvious Kitty is the one you want, so go chasin' after her and leave me alone.” With that she ended the call. She stared at her cell phone for awhile. She wanted to forgive him, but she just couldn't.
“Everything alright, chere?” Remy asked.
“Yea, it's nothin'...not anymore anyway.”
“Wanna talk about it? Remy pretty good listener.”
“No,” she said quietly shaking her head.
Remy didn't push her any further. He lightened the mood by saying. “How 'bout we go out an' have some fun?”
“Okay,” she said, a little excitement in her voice.
She grabbed her jacket and quickly put it on. Remy did the same with his trenchcoat. Ah wonder why he wears that ratty ole thing, she thought. It just one other mystery about this man she would have to figure out, that and the fact that she couldn't understand why she liked him. Remy led her out the door and down the long hallway. The steps were rickety and steep. She remembered that from last night.
“Come on, chere, we go out the back way.”
She looked skeptical but followed him anyway. “Somethin' wrong?”
“Non. Jus' like t'lay low.”
“Does this have anythin' t'do with that motorcycle last night?”
“Maybe...maybe not. Yah comin'?”
She nodded. What the hell. This was exciting. Bobby never would have thought to do something like that. When they reached the shed where Remy stashed the bike, Rogue heard some voices that made her uneasy.
“Did yah hear that?”
“Yea, stay quiet.” She nodded. She leaned up against a tree near the old broken down shed. The voices were coming from the other side. Remy sneaked pass the other side hoping to catch whoever it was off guard. Then he heard Rogue scream. He turned around.
“Hey, Remy, this here you latest whore?”
“Let her go, Julien. She got not'ing t'do wit dis.”
Rogue kicked the guy in the kneecap catching him off guard, but two other man grabbed Rogue from behind.
“Let her go!” Remy shouted.
“Not a chance, Swamp Rat. Not until you return what yah stole from us,” Julien said. “Oh, that's right, yah can't give back my sister honor, not when yah don't have none yourself.”
“Shut up, Julien. What happened between Bell an' me ain't none a'your business. She call it off not me, which is just fine. Now, I ain't gonna tell you again. Let de lady go.”
Rogue took the opportunity to bite one of her assailants. As he howled in pain, the other threw her to the ground. Remy took the opportunity to get the jump on them. Out from his pocket came several playing cards. He removed his glasses. Julien could see his red glowing eyes.
“That don' scare me,” Julien snickered.
“It should,” Remy said and threw the cards at him. Julien tried to run but the explosion knocked him several feet. Rogue half on the ground looked stunned. Remy came up to her.
“Come on,” Remy said. “Got t'get outta here.”
She hesitated at first then took his hand. They ran towards the shed door. “You're a mutant, aren't yah?” she said.
“Hey, dat a problem?” he asked.
“No,” she said as he inched the bike out. He got on and started the engine. “Comin'?”
“Yea,” she said excitedly. He took her hand and helped onto the bike next to him. “Where we goin'?” She asked as they took off.
“Outta town. Got a problem with dat?”
“No,” she said holding onto him tight. Their destination, parts unknown, and that's seem to be just fine with the both of them.