X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ HANDS OF A STRANGER ❯ NIGHTMARES AND REALITIES PART ONE ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

NIGHTMARES AND REALITIES PART ONE
 
Disclaimer: I own nothing. I wrote this just for fun.
Rogue stayed frozen on the bed. Oh, mah god, she gonna kill me, she thought. No, ah won't let it happen. She rose out of the bed slowly. She never once did she take her eyes off of Bell.
“If it isn't Remy's little whore,” Bell said. “I amazed you be walkin'.”
Stay away from me,” Rogue said. “Or ah'll kick you're ass like ah did last time.”
No' dis time, little Rogue. Remy get a big surprise when he get back.”
Rogue was scared out of her mind, but tried not the let it show. She didn't want to give Bell the satisfaction. “Please, Bell, whatever yah thinkin', Stop.”
I won't stop, not 'til he pays.”
Why can't yah jus' leave us alone.”
He didn't leave me alone. I do ya a favor, 'cause he jus' do de same t'you.”
Don't do this,” Rogue pleaded. “Just because he left yah...”
Ain't nobody leave me!” she shouted and lounged at Rogue, but she retaliated by pushing her away.
Please, Bell, stop. Yah only hurt yourself.”
De only one be hurtin me is Remy, low-life cheatin' piece of gutter trash. He ain't tossin' me aside for de likes a'you” Bell grabbed hold of Rogue's throat. Rogue tried to scream, but she couldn't make a sound.
Bell, what are you doing?” Carol said. “You're going to kill her.”
Carol grabbed hold of Bell, but still she wouldn't let go.
Rogue felt herself slipping away. No, she thought, it can't end this way. Something inside Rogue told her to fight back. Barely able to breathe, Rogue found the hidden strength inside her. She grabbed hold of Bell getting the upper hand. She threw her across the room.
Rogue fell to the floor grasping for air. She felt so strange. Something was happening to her. Before she knew it Carol came towards her.
“Are you alright?” she said. “I'm sorry. I didn't know she was going to go off like that.” Rogue still couldn't talk, although she was no longer gasping for air. “Just breath deep.” Rogue nodded.
With each moment Rogue felt stronger. “Who...are...you?” she said.
My name is Carol and...”
Rogue noticed the young woman was touching her skin. Something was happening. The nightmares she been having. They were becoming real. Terror struck her at that very moment. “Stop,” she chocked out. “Don't touch me, please.”
I...can't...”
Let go of me!” Rogue cried. “No!!”
Carol fell to the floor taking Rogue with her. Rogue was still screaming. Bell looked on in fear. “What are doin', ya freak?” Bell shouted. Carol lay on the floor unconscious, while Rogue huddled in the corner screaming. “What the hell? What ya do to her?”
Rogue could say nothing. She stayed quiet and after a while she just mumbled to herself. Bell was horrified but still she came towards Rogue. Part of her thought that the girl was faking, but if she wasn't then Bell would know that she was in real trouble.
What wrong with you?' Bell said, shaking her.
“Stay away from me!” Rogue screamed, throwing Bell into the opposite wall. It was enough to knock her out cold. Rogue remained huddled in the fetal position. All the while a voice rang through her head. It was that woman, the one who tried to help her. It was Carol. “Oh, mah god,” she whispered. “Ah absorbed her.” But how, mah powers. They were supposed to be gone.
See what you did to me! Are you happy now?
“No, no, no!”She screamed out loud. It was the only way to drown out that woman's voice.
Rogue staggered to her feet. She saw the woman a few feet away, the one now residing in her head. Her whole body started to shake. Then she looked over to the other side of the room. There was Bell, unconscious. Rogue blamed herself. She had done this. For whatever reason this was her fault. She sobbed uncontrollably.
Why couldn't you leave us alone?!” she yelled at the unconscious Bell.
Then the voice inside her came. Don't blame her. You know it was your fault. Everything is your fault. She put her hands on either side of her head and screamed. “Leave me alone! Stop it! Get out! No!!”
She sunk to the floor wallowing in the emotional pain. Carol's voice seemed to be getting louder and louder.Just look what you've done! She staggered to her feet. “No,” she said. “This is not happening. “No, no, no!” She was screaming now, but Carol's voice just wouldn't shut up.
She had to run. She wanted to run She thought if she did the voice would stop. She didn't remember running out the hotel room or onto the street. She didn't remember the onlookers staring at her like she was some kind of freak. All she remembered was Carol's voice in her head screaming at her.
You can't get away from me no matter how hard to try.
She wanted desperately to get away from it, but it was inside her. How could she run from it when it was with her all along? She couldn't think logically. Running was all she could do, but soon she wouldn't be able to do that anymore. It wasn't long before she was out of breath and her energy spent. She stumbled into the woods and fell to her knees, wishing for the quiet only death could bring. Soon exhaustion hit and she fell unconscious.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Remy walked into the hotel with a large paper bag. He had hit a fast food restaurant a few miles down the road. He knew Rogue would be hungry when she woke up from her nap. She hadn't been sleeping well since she had that nightmare a few days before. It worried him how tired she looked lately. And with Bell and Julien on the loose the anxiety was doubled.
He casually walked down the hallway leading to the elevators. He was whistling which was something he rarely did. Rogue had a strange affect on him. He couldn't quite describe it. Something about her made him want to be different than what he was. His whole life had been about self-gratification, and suddenly he found himself thinking of others. His life was no longer about what he could get out of it, but what he could give. It was strange to him. He never had those feelings before. He realized he never wanted those feelings to cease.
Finally the elevator stopped. He stepped out and walked the long hallway to their hotel room. Something inside him fluttered with anticipation. Just the thought of being with her excited him, she wanted it as much as he did. He just hoped nothing would stop them this time.
As he reached the door his heart dropped. He noticed the lock was broken off its hinge. Anxiety overwhelmed him. What if something happened to his Rogue. When he entered the room, his worst fears were confirmed. He looked around the room. There was a blond woman, one he had never seen before, lying on the floor unconscious, possibly dead. Then he looked to the side, almost directly behind the door. Bell. She had found him once again, but how? Did she have some secret mutant power he knew nothing about? It didn't matter. He entered the room, frantically searching for Rogue, but she was nowhere to be found.
He made his way over to the mysterious blond woman. He took her pulse. She was alive, but barely. Bell. This was her doing. He knew it. She began to stir. He stood over her as she opened her eyes.
Remy, ya came,” she said with a smile.
Where is she, Bell?”
Who?” she asked sounding confused. She rose slowly to her feet and stumbled into his arms. “Ya don't need nobody but me. Remember? Ya once told me dat.”
Bell, dat be a long time ago. Now, where is she?”
Who?” she asked, sashaying around like a drunk. “That little freak girlfriend a yours.” She laughed a little. “She gone, Remy. Good thing, too. Look what she did to poor Carol.” She pointed to Carol's body and laughed some more.
Where she go, Bell?” he asked trying to pull away from her. “An' don't lie t'me.”
Ah don' know,” she said, leaning up against him. “Ya should be glad, though. Now we all alone...well, 'cept for Carol. She dead?”
Non,” Remy said pushing Bell away from him. “She's in a bad way, t'ough. She be needin' help.”
What 'bout me, Remy,” she said putting her hands all over him. “Look what that bitch did t'me. Slam me inta a wall. Ah don't know what she done t'poor Carol. That girl a genuine freak. But don't ya be worryin', ya still got me.”
Bell,” he shouted, pushing her away. “Where's Rogue?”
Ah said ah don't be knowin'. She musta took off, after almost be killing me.”
Gotta find her,” he said heading for the door.
No,” she said, blocking his way. “Ya ain't leaving me again, not for dat piece a trash. That girl be dangerous. Ya weren't here. Ya didn't see what she done.”
I don' care,” he said pushing past her to reach the door. Bell tried to push him back towards her, but he was a man on a mission. He left the hotel room, running swiftly down the hallway. Bell followed him. She ran after him screaming his name. He just ignored her and kept going.
Remy, wait,” Bell screamed chasing after him. “Can't you see it's better dis way.” She reached him finally right outside the entrance door. “Why ya be doin' dis t'me. I love ya. I kill Julien cause a'ya.”
Ya killed Julien? Why?”
Cause he wanted t'kill ya, and fuck dat girlfriend a'yours. What's she got ah don'. I da one dat loves ya, not dat whore.”
Ya don' love nobody, Bell. If ya did, ya not do what ya did to Rogue.”
She ain't nothin',” she screamed, blocking his way.
Shut up, Bell, an get outta my way. I'm gonna find her.”
Bell started laughing. “That's so funny.” She continued laughing. “Remy Labeau, in love? and with that worthless creature. How pathetic.” She continued to laugh and mock him. He didn't care about the things she said about him. Rogue was his only concern. “She not'in' but a slut!” she shouted.
Remy was becoming more angry by the minute. He wanted to slap her, push her aside, but he had more class then that. He wouldn't hurt a woman, no matter how much he hated her. At that moment he loathed Bell. He pushed passed her and kept going, leaving Bell to wallow in her own hate. He had to find Rogue. She was in trouble, and it was his fault. He had gotten her mixed up in this whole crazy drama and vowed to get her out of it.
Bell went back inside the hotel to hear one of the maids screaming. “Someone call an ambulance. It think that girl might be dead.” She knew the girl was talking about Carol.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Rogue took comfort in the solace of the trees. Things were peaceful there in the woods. There wasn't a living soul for miles around. It was safer if she stayed away from people. If there was no one around she couldn't hurt anyone. But that voice still rang in her head, that woman's voice. She couldn't understand it? Her power had never lasted this long. Why was this woman still in her head, and why did she still have her powers?
Rogue sank to the ground. In her heart she knew what had happened, but she wouldn't let herself believe it.
“This can't be happenin',” she whimpered, clutching herself to the ground. But it is, the voice in her head said. Admit it, Rogue, you wanted it to happen. “Shut up!” she shouted out loud then took off running. That seemed like the only thing that would drown out the voice, but not completely. Can't run from me. I'm inside you.
She couldn't stand it anymore. She made a fist and punched it into a large tree. The tree fell over smashing down beneath her. She was trapped. She laid there for the longest time. All the time Carol's voice taunted her.
Come on, little Rogue, you just going to lay there and die. It would be what you deserved after what you've done.
“No! No! Ah didn't mean to, ah swear.”
Yes, you did. Don't lie to yourself. I can see all your dark little secrets.
“No, please, just go away. Ah didn't want this. Ah didn't. Ah swear.” Tears run down her face as she lay under the fallen tree waiting for death. That's all she wanted now. There was nothing left for her. She no longer wanted to be trapped in this cursed body. It seemed the only way out.
Yes, that right, Carol's voice said once again in her head. Die! That's what you deserve. You're evil. Evil! EVIL!!!
No!!!” Rogue screamed and threw the fallen tree off of her. “Ah'm not evil! Ah'm not!!!”
She sprang to her feet and started running again. She had her gloves in her jacket pocket, but she hadn't worn them in weeks, not since the night she met Remy. She tried desperately to put them on but dropped one in the process. Her head was spinning so much that she couldn't concentrate, so she keep running, soon after dropping the other. Somehow she made it to the street. Carol's voice quieted some, and she was able to gather her thoughts.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Remy thought desperately about where Rogue might go. He knew she wasn't too far behind, because he could still feel her emotions. They were so intense. The pain of her emotions were stabbing through him like a knife, but he could endure it. He could feel her so completely, but he just didn't know where she was. She was running, he knew that much, running from herself.
He thought of where she would go. What she told him about her powers, and he figured that she would go some place isolated, away from people. He drove the highway, still feeling those emotions. She was close. Then he came to a stretch of woods. It made sense to him that she might be there. He headed for them as fast as his legs would carry him.
When he entered that patch of sullen trees, the emotions ran even higher. He could barely move. She had been here. He could feel it. He staggered a few steps until another ray of hope had lit his way. He looked down. That's where he saw it. A cell phone. It was hers. He knew it.
Rogue, you here, ain't ya, chere? No worry. Remy find ya.”
He traveled on. His emotions remained strong. He knew he could find her. He had to. He walked through the woods at a steady pace. He almost tripped on some dead branches. He noticed up ahead where a tree had fallen. That was strange. There had been no thunder storms. He examined the base. It looked like it had been torn off, but what could have done it. Then he saw it, a single lace glove. He picked it up. He knew instinctively that it belonged to Rogue. She had worn them the night they met. He hadn't seen her wore them since, so he just assumed that she had left them in his apartment back in New Orleans. There it was, one half of the pair. He picked it up and took off again.
She was close, closer than she had been ten minutes before. He continued on. He couldn't stop now. Had she left this here for him to find? He wondered. He assumed she had. She wanted him to find her. His swift movement led him towards the end of the stretch of woods. There he found the glove's mate, but where was Rogue? Her emotions no longer filling his mind. Almost in defeat he slowed down. His Rogue was gone. He had no idea where to look. He lifted the pair of lost gloves to his nostrils. He smelled him. They still boar her sweet sent. It gave him hope. He would find her. That was his silent promise.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Rogue was walking down a street. She didn't know which. She didn't really much care. She had long ago lost her gloves, so her hands were tucked away, securely into her pockets. Carol's voice was no longer screaming in her head, although she was still aware of her presence. She thought for a moment that she could control it. That this situation was manageable. She thought again. She couldn't live like that. She wanted her gone. She wanted her powers gone. They had been nothing but a curse from the very beginning. How she wished she could go back to the day before. Before Carol had innocently touched her. Why did they have to come back at that moment? Was it something about Carol that triggered it? She couldn't think about that now. She needed to find a way to reverse this before she went completely mad.
She passed several stores. She was so hungry, but she was too afraid to walk into any restaurant for a bite to eat. What if it happened again? What if she mistakenly touched someone else. Her mind was so fragile at this point. She wouldn't have been able to take it, so she kept on walking.
She passed a electronic store and that's when she saw it. There was a news report coming on the television in the window.
“Yesterday, nineteen year old Carol Danvers was found conscious and near death at a local hotel. She was taken to nearby St. James Hospital where doctors are baffled by her strange condition. The parents of the girl were called immediately but have no comment at this time.
Rogue saw the picture of the girl come up on the screen. “That's her,” she whispered. “Oh, mah god, that's her. What have ah done?” Tears came to her eyes. She knew she had to do something but didn't know what.
A whole day had passed and she wasn't even aware. She had to fix this.
Perhaps if she could see her face to face again. Maybe the answer would come to her. Maybe there was some way to reverse this. She reached for her phone. She wanted to call Logan. She needed him now. She knew he would be the only one who wouldn't judge her, but there was a problem. She no longer had her phone. She really felt lost now. How could she have lost it. She would just have to see Carol alone. That terrified her. She never wanted to see that face again, but she had to. She told herself that it was the only way.
The hospital was only a few blocks away, but for Rogue it seemed like the longest journey. Her heart beat faster and faster the closer she got. By the time she walked through the hospital doors her legs were like jello. Her body was slow and unsteady, shaking just a little. Her face was pale and hair a mess, but all that didn't matter. She felt like hell, but she managed to make it to the information desk.
“May I help you?” the receptionist asked. At first Rogue didn't answer. She heard Carol's voice again.
What's wrong, little Rogue. Feeling guilty.
“Ma'am, are you alright?”
Rogue snapped back to reality. “Yes, ah'm looking for Carol Danvers,” she said almost in a whisper. “She was admitted last night.”
The woman hit a few keys on her computer. “Oh, yes,” the woman said. “Third floor. Room 305.”
Rogue thanked the woman and slowly walked to the nearby elevator and pushed the button. She felt as if she were stuck in some horrible nightmare. She was barely aware of her surrounding. All she knew was that she needed to see this woman once again. She thought if she could see her body the woman's voice would cease her taunting, but still she walked so slowing, wanting to see but then again not wanting to. Finally she reached the room. She stayed in the doorway for the longest time. Fear overcame her. She no longer heard Carl's voice. It was her own guilt that taunted her.
Ah did this,” she whispered to herself. A tear escaped her eye. Each step she took seemed like an eternity, but the fear grew more and more with each one. Finally she stood next to the woman's bed. She looked dead lying there. “Ah'm so sorry!”
She sank to the floor weeping silently. She was unaware that someone had just walked into the room.
Rogue,” a man's voice came. She heard nothing. He came closer seeing her on the floor, overcome by her own emotion. He leaned down to face her. “Dis not your fault.”
It was Remy. She suddenly realized he was right next to her, close enough to touch. She stiffened and back away into a corner.
Stay away,” she cried. “Have t'stay away.” She inched herself up the wall until she was in a standing position. He still came closer to her. “Please, Remy,” she cried once more.
Rogue, it be alright,” he said grabbing hold of her arms.
No!” she shouted. She didn't realize her strength and threw him to the opposite side of the room.
You see, Rogue, she heard Carol's voice once more. You hurt everybody, everybody who tries to help you.
She ran over to him. He wasn't unconscious, but he was hurt. “Remy, I'm sorry,” she said, crying. “I didn't...”
“It's okay, Rogue. Remy not hurt. He just worried about you.”
Please, Remy. Yah gotta stay away from me.” She rose to her feet and ran back into her corner. “Ah'm dangerous.”
No!” he said coming up behind her. He was touching her, and although it was through layers of clothing it still stung at her heart.
Stop!” she cried. She broke loose of his grip and ran to the other side of the room. “Gotta stay away from me, Remy. It ain't safe. Ah'm not safe. They came back, an' ah can't stop it. Ah can't stop her. She won't shut up.” She sunk to the floor holding her hands on each side of her head.
Rogue, what yah mean?”
He stood over her but at a safe enough distance so she didn't freak up and run from him again.
Mah powers,” she cried. “They're come back. That girl, I didn't mean t'hurt her. I swear, ah didn't.” He knelt down to face her. “She's inside me, an ah can't get 'er out.”
She cried uncontrollably. This time he held her, and she didn't protest. She needed someone to hold her, even if she didn't know it. Even through all their layers of clothing she still felt his warmth. His arms felt so good around her. She didn't want him to let her go. Even though she knew the situation was impossible, for now she would just wanted to pretend that everything was normal.
Their impromptu reunion was cut short, because they were unaware that someone was watching them until Remy heard footsteps approaching.
How can ya let that freak get that close t'ya?”
Bell,” he said softly. Rogue was snapped back to reality. Rogue looked up at the blond woman. This was where her nightmare had begun. For the first time she was truly terrified. “Rogue, it's alright.”
“No,” she cried. “She tried to kill me. Carol tried to stop her. Ah didn't know when she touched me that...” The voice in her head started up again. There you go blaming others for your crimes. “No!” she shouted. “Shut up!”
Suddenly a sound from Carol's monitors went off. Rogue looked over to see what was happening. Terror still enveloping her, she ran from the room. Remy chased after her. She made it down several hallways before Remy caught up with her.
Rogue!” he shouted. She stopped but wouldn't turn to face him. “Please, don' have t'run no more.”
Just leave me alone. Don't yah see, I can't...”
She hung her head low. She wanted to cry, but she had no more. She had managed to silence Carol's voice, but it would be back. For now her mind was clear.
“Remy just wanna help yah.”
She shook her head. “Yah can't. Nobody can.” She thought for a moment. She turned around to face him. A look of concern written on his face. “How'd yah find me?”
Ya dropped these,” he said, handing her the gloves. She took them, careful not to touch his skin. She quickly put them back on.
Where yah find 'em?”
De woods. I figure yah go dare t'be alone. Dat girl, she a mutant, ain't she.”
She nodded. She laughed a little. “Ah got 'er power, an' it won't go away.” Her expression changed when she realized the levity of the situation. “Ah just want it t'go away.” Fatigue overtook her. She started to sink to the floor. Remy caught her.
Yah need a rest, chere. Don't worry, Remy take care a yah.”
Why would yah want to? After what ah did...”
Ain't your fault.” He looked deeply into her eyes. She turned away. She couldn't look at him. She was too ashamed.
Her back turned she said, “How'd yah know ah was here?”
Just a hunch. Saw de news report. Figured you be comin' here?”
Bell approached them. “Still chasin' after that freak, Remy Labeau?” Bell looked straight at Rogue. Rogue stood up on her feet, the fear she once felt subsiding.
Remy gave Bell a fiery stare. “Don't come near her, Bell. You do dis. Dat girl in dare. She in a coma 'cause a you. Why couldn't ya leave her alone? You hate me so ya take in out on her.”
“Remy,” Rogue said. “Ah have t'get out of here.” Rogue was holding her head again. You want revenge, don't you, Rogue, Carol voice shouted in her head. Go ahead! She deserves it. She used us both. “No!” Rogue shouted. “Ah don't want to.” Yes, you do. We do. If you don't I will. “No!!!” she screamed again, sinking to the floor still holding her head.
“Rogue!” Remy shouted, kneeling down on the floor to help her. She didn't respond. “Come on, chere. Talk t' Remy.”
Rogue did speak, but something told him that it wasn't her. “Hello, Bell,” she said. This sent Bell into a state of confusion. Who was this? Bell thought. 'Rogue' rose to her feet. “Don't you remember me?” She came closer to Bell, her motion slow but precise. “I just wanted to help you.” Bell backed up, but 'Rogue' moved with a second speedier than Bell. She grabbed hold of her and threw her to the ground. Bell tried to defend herself, but 'Rogue' was too fast. She took her fist and pounded Bell to the floor. Blood spilled out from her mouth and the back of her head.
“Rogue, Stop,” Remy shouted.
I'm not Rogue,” she said, taking hold of him and slamming him into the wall. 'Rogue' stopped for a moment, looking at her handy work. Hid eyes dimmed and she sunk to the ground. She was so confused. She looked over at Bell. She screamed, and crawled over to her. “Oh, mah god,” she shouted. She felt no pulse. Then she looked over at Remy. He lay on the floor. He started to move slowly. “Oh god, Remy,” she said crawling over to him. “Wake up! Please, wake up!”
His eyes opened to see Rogue looking over him. “Chere?” He looked into her eyes. Was it her...his Rogue?
Yah,” she said. “What happened? Bell...ah think she's dead.”
Come on, chere. We gotta get outta here.”
No, ah did this. Ah...”
No, it not be you. It be dat ot'er one. We gotta go...now.”
Fatigue overtook her again, to the point were she could no longer stand. Remy scooped her up in his arms and carried her out of the hospital. He still had Bell's car, but it was parked nearly two miles away, but Rogue was in no condition to walk so he carried her. It wasn't long before he reached the car. Rogue was nearly unconscious by the time they got there. He heard her mumbling something as he put her in the car.
Logan... help me,” she said softly.
He entered the driver's side still contemplating her words. Logan? He wondered who that could be. He looked at her cellphone. He checked her contacts. There he found the name. Who was Logan? He thought maybe it was that friend she once talked about, although she never said his name. He drove off down the highway. He wanted to put as much distance as he could between them and this terrible nightmare. But something told him that this was just the beginning.