X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ X-Men: Kitty and Illyanna ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kitty and Illyanna: A tale of Magik! Part Seven

        "You have got to be kidding me," Kitty finally managed to get out, once Dr. Strange finished making his little announcement. He had called the meeting quite suddenly, giving her little time to change out of her clothes from her and Illyanna's night out, so she had just thrown on her blue Xavier's School sweatshirt and black jeans.

        "There's no way we're ready for this," Illyanna added seriously, having stayed in her own tight T-shirt and blue jeans..

        "You have some rather unruly students, Stephen," the white haired young woman in a simple purple bodysuit noted with a smile. Clea, the former ruler of the Dark Dimension, watched the two girl's thoughtfully, her expression one of amused interest.

        "I caught them by surprise," Dr. Strange said to her quietly as he adjusted his own wizardly garb, "normally they're a bit more compliant." He was settling the Eye amulet on the base of his throat as he turned back to Kitty, "Sorry, but I'm not kidding."

        "You can not seriously intend to go off into the Dark Dimension and leave the two of us in charge of protecting the Earth," Kitty scowled.

        Dr. Strange was smiling at them, an odd, almost amused smile. Illyanna gave him a scowl and asked, "What's so funny?"

        "I haven't been entirely forthcoming with you about your rapid progress in the mystic arts," Dr. Strange rather sheepishly admitted to them as his cloak of levitation swirled all around him, "you see, both of you have in fact advanced well beyond the point I had been trained when I first left the Ancient One's training."

        "Which means?" Illyanna asked grimly.

        "We're about as well trained as he was when he first started out as Sorcerer Supreme," Kitty said with a slight smile. She tilted her head slightly in thought, "So why not just send us in to take on Dormamu instead of you, then?"

        "No," Dr. Strange shook his head firmly, "this is something personal, between him and myself. I have to be the one to face him, to finish what I started so long ago."

        "Now you're beginning to sound like Logan," Illyanna muttered.

        Kitty chuckled, "There's worse things to sound like."

        Clea put her hand gently on Dr. Strange's arm, "Stephen, the time of passage grows closer. And I worry, leaving my rebels without guidance and mystical protection."

        Dr. Strange nodded seriously. He turned back to Kitty and Illyanna, "I won't command you to do this, but I am asking. Will you watch over this Dimension in my absence?"

        Kitty exchanged a long look with Illyanna, communicating with her roomie and best friend silently. "We'll do it," Kitty said with a firm nod.

        "But get back here as fast as you possibly can," Illyanna added grimly.

        "Thank you," Dr. Strange smiled, patting each of their shoulders in a manner to an equal, rather than as an master to apprentice. "I'm sure you will do well," he said before adding, "I'll keep in touch with you using the Orb, but I can't promise regular messages."

        The large, empty chamber in the center of the house was the focus of much magical energies, and was maintained just for the purpose of opening this kind of gateway. The preparations for the transit spell only took the four of them a few moments, then their master began to speak. It was a harsh language, almost inhuman, and the air itself seemed to vibrate with each of the words. Space itself seemed to tear, and a pathway stretched out in front of them, leading off in a twisted course between the dimensions.

        "Good luck," Kitty called out as Dr. Strange and Clea stepped out onto the paths.

        "Watch your backs out there," Illyanna advised them gravely just before they were gone from her and Kitty's line of sight.

        Kitty stepped forward, and with a few softly spoken words and gestures closed up the gateway, leaving no sign there ever was a hole in space there. She blew out a nervous breath, "Guess we're on our own, now."

        Illyanna smiled at her gently, reaching out to take Kitty's hand, "We're the team supreme of magic, remember? We'll handle this."

        "You're right," Kitty nodded firmly.

        They walked through the halls of the Sanctum, and both picked up on an unusual feeling. It wasn't a bad sensation, it was more of a feeling of... belonging. "Did the Doc do something before he left?" Illyanna finally had to ask.

        "Probably," Kitty looked thoughtful. She tapped her chin a moment before saying, "Come on, I want to try something."

        Illyan na gave her a wary look as she followed her, "The last time you said that, we ended up summoning three Deaths, Pryde."

        "I didn't know that saying the spell together would be so powerful," Kitty shrugged slightly. She lay her hand on the wall, thinking of something she had seen Dr. Strange do. "I want to go upstairs," she murmured to the house.

        Illyanna opened up the nearby door, and both didn't too look terribly surprised to see that one of the upstairs rooms now lay behind it. Illyanna gave Kitty a look, "The Doc gave us control of the Sanctum, didn't he?"

        "Looks like it," Kitty agreed. She reached over to shut the door again, courteously murmuring to the house, "Thank you."

        Illyanna smirked slightly as she looked around at the refined decorations all around them, the house's general impression of being an antique. "I wonder what Doctor Strange would say if we redecorated?" she asked.

        Kitty chuckled, "I don't think I want to know."

        The walked on together quietly for a time, eventually reaching the Doctor's study, where the Orb floated, glowing golden. Mystic artifacts were scattered all around then, the room itself literally bursting with magical energies. Pointedly, the locks were off the bookcases containing the advanced mystical books, and the room seemed to welcome them joyfully.

        "Looks like we've got ourselves a workshop," Illyanna smiled. She looked over at Kitty, "So how long do you think it'll take the darker forces to discover the Doctor is gone?"

        "Probably not long," Kitty surprised her with a wicked smile, "it'll give me a chance to test out my new combat spells."

        Illyanna gave her an odd look, "Try not to be so eager, all right?"

        Kitty blew her a raspberry.

        "Oh, so mature," Illyanna grinned.

        "We'll manage, partner," Kitty slid her arm into Illyanna's. "As long as you're with me, I'm sure that all will be well."

        Illyanna squeezed Kitty's hand gently, "You got that right, partner."

To be continued...