X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ X-Men: Kitty and Illyanna ❯ Chapter 12

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kitty and Illyanna: A take of Magik! Part twelve

        Kitty was still blushing furiously as she tried to come up with a way to raise the next uncomfortable subject with the Professor. It was a bit of a shock to discover that she and Illyanna had been projecting their thoughts while in bed together, so much so that she found it hard to continue.

        "There's something else we wanted to tell you," Illyanna gave Kitty a sympathetic glance. She took a deep breath, "We're not going to be coming back to rejoin the X-men, sir. I think we'll be staying on with Doctor Strange."

        Professo r Xavier smiled slightly, "To be honest, I was rather expecting that."

        "Don't tell me we projected that thought to you, too," Kitty laughed.

        "No, no," the Professor shook his head, "it was more from how you acted when you came back here the last time."

        "What do you mean?" Illyanna asked curiously.

        "You were so happy together, and with what you were doing," Xavier said simply. He rolled his wheelchair out from behind his desk as he mused, "Now we need to decide how to break it to the rest of the team."

        "Huh," Illyanna blinked, "I hadn't thought about that."

        "He's got a point," Kitty sighed. "Some of our friends are not going to take this very well, either piece of news," she said.

        "I'd better go tell Piotr personally," Illyanna nodded.

        "Ororo, then Logan," Kitty agreed.

        "Good luck," the Professor wished them as Illyanna disappeared with her stepping disks and Kitty rose up in the air and phased through the roof. "And I'd best give Scott some warning," the Professor mused, focusing his telepathy to send out the message.

        Kitty walked down the upper hallway, quickly being waylaid by an ecstatic Lockheed the dragon. It cooed happily as the small gray creature flew in little circles around her before settling down on her shoulder. "Looks like we'll be moving," Kitty murmured softly, scratching him behind the ears.

        Girl and dragon soon reached the ladder up to the Attic, climbing up into.. green. Ororo's personal domain, the attic was almost a forest of green, plants handing down in baskets from the roof or sitting in pots on the floor.

        "Kitten," Ororo smiled as soon as she saw Kitty making her way through the leaves.

        "Hey, Ororo," Kitty said nervously.

        Ororo surprised her by stepping forward, quickly folding the girl into the warmth of her arms. "You know," she said to her softly, "I was just thinking about what it would be like when you came home to the mansion for good." Kitty tensed up, and Ororo gave her a gentle smile, "But that isn't going to happen, is it?"

        "No, it isn't," Kitty agreed, glad to see the warmth and understanding in Ororo's eyes, "I'm staying on with Dr. Strange. I think I can do more good there, honestly."

        "I understand," Ororo kept a firm grip on her as she continued, "but please remember to visit us. I'll miss you a great deal, little one."

        "You don't seem too surprised," Kitty noted.

        They walked together towards the ladder as Ororo admitted, "I saw the look on your face when you talked about the magic, Kitty. I knew you had found your calling, even if I wasn't quite willing to admit it to myself."

        "Thank you," Kitty turned back to hug her.

        Ororo hugged her back, and Kitty as surprised to see a few tears glimmer at the corners of her eyes. "If you need help, call," she said quietly, "we will always be here for you." Kitty nodded, then descended the ladder to the hallway below. Only once Kitty was safely gone did Ororo let the tears flow, silently mourning the departure of a girl she regarded as a daughter.

        Illyanna summoned the stepping disk, disappearing from the Professor's office and reappearing in the dimension of Limbo. A few steps and she reappeared in Piotr Rasputin's rooms, the slim blonde dropping on his bed with a soft thump.

        "Snowflake, " Piotr looked up in surprise, wiping at his paint smeared hands.

        "Hey, big brother," Illyanna smiled up at the dark haired young man. She sat up on the side of the bed, "I've got some news."

        "Did Katya decide.." Piotr asked, and a blushing Illyanna suddenly remembered the topic of their last discussion.

        "Oh, yes," Illyanna gave him a little grin.

        "As long as she treats you well," Piotr said to her firmly, "then I'm glad." He paused to look over at her curiously and asked, "When are you finishing your magical training so that you can come back home to the mansion?"

        "I'm not, exactly," Illyanna wished there were a smoother way to say it, "I'm going to be staying on with Doctor Strange, continue to develop my magical gifts."

        "But what about the X-Men?" Piotr frowned, "The Professor has even organized a new class that we call the New Mutants."

        "I can just see Kitty calling them the X-Babies or something like that," Illyanna remarked, wining a surprised smile from her elder brother. "Piotr, I can do more good with my magic than as a member of the X-Men or a New Mutants."

        "I don't know if I approve," Piotr finally said, "but you're a grown woman, Illyanna." He smiled slightly, "But we will have a place for you here, should you ever change your mind."

        "Good enough," Illyanna got up, giving him a hug.

        Logan looked up in surprise as Kitty walked up the hall towards him, "You that anxious to see me again so soon?"

        "Something like that," Kitty agreed as she took up a spot beside him at the window, looking out over the mansion's back yard.

        Logan gave her a look, his nose twitching slightly. "You went to see Ororo," he noted, "it must be pretty important, whatever it is."

        "Wish I could do that some days," Kitty noted. She took a nervous breath, "Illyanna and I, we're going to be staying on with Dr. Strange."

        "Good," Logan said crisply.

        Kitty blinked at him in surprise, "Huh?"

        Logan gave her a look, "Surprised you? Kitty, you can't make a chick climb back in the nest once it's spread it's wings. Tryin' to do so just annoys the bird."

        "Thanks," Kitty smiled.

        "Not that I ain't going to miss you," Logan put an arm over her shoulder, hugging her to him awkwardly. "An' you need anything, just call. I've had some personal experience with the sort of things you're gonna be running into."

        "You've had experience with everything," Kitty laughed. She slipped free from his grip, giving him a thoughtful look, "You know, I've never really had the guts to ask this before, but.. just how old are you, anyway?"

        "Don't really know," Logan admitted with a shrug. He gave her a slight smile, "But I got memories from well before World War one, kid."

        "Wow," Kitty blinked as they fell into step together. She frowned suddenly, "What did you mean, you had experience with the things we're going to run into?"

        "Wondered if you'd ask that," Logan chuckled. "Ran into something nasty up in Tibet, once, when I helped out an old coot callin' himself the Ancient One."

        "Dr. Strange's old master?" Kitty gulped.

        "Guess so," Logan shrugged, "he knew the mojo, anyway. We cornered this beastie, but the thing healed almost as fast as I did..." he continued as they walked.

To be continued..