X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ X-Men: Kitty and Illyanna ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kitty and Illyanna: A take of Magik! Part Thirteen

        Nightcraw ler smiled, the blue furred mutant leaping down from his perch on a coat-rack to offer them a grin after they finished making their big announcement. "If you two are sure about this," Kurt said, "then I'm glad."

        "Thanks," Kitty hugged him, her brown hair neatly pulled back.

        "The kids are ready to go," Logan noted from where he sat by an open window, his cigar smoke drifting outside as the black haired warrior continued, "and I'm proud of 'em."

        "Pretty cool," Rogue offered from where she was leaning up against the wall. "Just don't get yourselves into too much trouble," she added, the streak of white in the middle of her redish brown hair catching the eye.

        "We'll try," Illyanna gave her a slight smile. Rogue had been an enemy of the X-men for a long time, and the slim blonde found having her as an teammate was just a bit odd.

        Storm nodded from where she stood. There was a distinct sense of sadness about the African woman as she said, "Like I told Kitty before, I hope you will be happy."

        Kitty hesitated as she looked over to the one who hadn't spoken up yet. Softly she said "You've been pretty quiet, Cyclops."

        "As an X-Man," Cyclops said gravely, his brown hair falling into his glasses covered eyes, "I'm a bit upset. Both of you have powerful talents, ones I hate to loose." A slight smile, "But as your friend, I want to wish you well."

        "We will miss you," Charles Xavier said, hesitantly walking over to their side, "but I'm glad that you've found the path you want to follow."

        "We aren't dropping off the face of the earth, you know," Illyanna reminded them, "we're just in New York City. You can visit us, and we can visit you."

        "It's not the same as being in the same house, little snowflake," Piotr reminded her gently. The black haired Russian looked over at Kitty, "Take care of her, please."

        "With my life," Kitty agreed.

        "Coo," Lockheed the dragon murmured from the curve of Kitty's arms. He was coming back to the Sanctum with them, Kitty unwilling to just leave him at the mansion.

        There was a final round of hugs all around, then Kitty and Illyanna stood together in the center of the living-room. Illyanna focused her will, there was a shimmer of light.. a stepping disk appeared and they were gone.

        The study of the Sanctum appeared around them, and both young women sighed in relief. "Home," Illyanna finally felt herself relaxing, a bit surprised at how tense she had been. She closed her eyes, feeling the mystic defenses, and was glad they were all still intact.

        "Home," Kitty agreed, releasing the dragon tentatively. With a single sweep of his wings the small gray beast flew up, Lockheed circling around the room, but staying away from the shelves and all the small, breakable objects.

        "Well, that's not bad," Illyanna watched him fly a moment. "Maybe this is going to work out," she added thoughtfully.

        "Let 's hope," Kitty agreed.

        "You want to get some dinner?' Illyanna asked, only to chuckle softly as her lover's stomach grumbled softly. "Dumb question," she laughed.

        "You," Kitty poked her with a soft laugh. They left the study together, Lockheed dropping down to perch on Kitty's shoulder. They walked up the hall past the library, the dining room, then on to the kitchen itself.

        "What would you like?" Illyanna asked curiously.

        Kitty smiled wryly, "To be honest, I think I'd like something a bit trashy." She looked at Illyanna and asked, "How about some burgers?"

        "Hmm," Illyanna mused thoughtfully, then she grinned over at her girlfriend, "Why not? Burgers it is, please."

        Objects began to move around the kitchen on their own as the ghostly cook worked while Lockheed crouched down on Kitty's shoulder, watching the goings on warily. Ground beef patties on the hot stove, grilling four burgers efficiently even as lettuce, onion and tomato's were prepared for toppings. Hand baked buns were cut in half, and in moments a meal was ready, the left-over fried meat put in a bowl for Lockheed to eat.

        Kitty grinned as Lockheed sat on the kitchen table not far from their seats and scarfed down the food, "That's the best way to get on Lockheed's good side."

        "Mine, too," Illyanna sighed, eating her burger with much enjoyment while sitting across from Kitty. "Thank you," she offered to the spirit with a gentle smile.

        "Thank you," Kitty echoed, munching quite happily herself. There was an odd feeling in the air of the little kitchen, and if their cook still had a body Kitty rather suspected that there would be some blushing going on.

        "Remind me to start exercising," Illyanna mused as she finished off her first burger, then moved on to the next. "With this kind of food, I'll gain weight."

        Kitty stuck her tongue out, "It's good food, and I think the magic burns enough energy to deal with it. From what I've seen, Dr. Strange never gained weight."

        "I hadn't really thought about it like that," Illyanna admitted. She took a generous bite of the burger, "Though I noticed he looked healthier the last time we talked to him."

        Kitty snickered softly as she polished off the last of her other burger. "That's because of Clea, I think," she agreed, wiping a bit of ketchup off her chin.

        "I can understand that," Illyanna leaned forward, looking across the kitchen table, "I know I feel better when I'm around you."

        Kitty felt herself blushing, an honestly pleased smile on her face. "You should be careful saying things like that," she said softly, "you'll turn a girl's head."

        "I hope so," Illyanna agreed, reaching across to lay her hand over Kitty's own. "I've been certainly trying," she added.

        Kitty took that hand in her own, drawing it up to her lips for a gentle kiss. She met the blonde's gaze, "You've spoiled me for anyone else."

        "Humph," Lockheed made a soft noise, stalking away.

        Kitty chuckled softly, the two getting up from the table holding hands. They walked down the hallway past the study when Illyanna felt an odd sensation. Kitty hesitated, then Illyanna looked over at Kitty questioningly.

        Ill yanna stopped outside the door, "Did you feel that?"

        Kitty nodded, a frown on her face. "Yeah," she pushed open the study door, both of them walking into the room together. The Orb in the middle of the room glowed brightly, fire swirling about inside of it, almost like a bird.

        "Is that what I think it is?" Illyanna asked weakly.

        "Phoenix," Kitty moved over to the Orb, looking into it cautiously. There was a feeling in the air, almost like static electricity, something that made the hair on your neck stand on end. "Why would it manifest now?" she looked over at Illyanna.

        A loud displacement of air, and both women looked up to see a figure falling from the ceiling. "Look out," the redhead squawked as she dropped right on top of them.

        Whump!
< br>         "How on Earth," Illyanna struggled up, pulling Kitty to her feet before looking at the redheaded teen in shock, "did she get in here?"

        "The defenses are still intact," Kitty checked quickly.

        "Ah, hello," the redhead gave them a nervous smile, "my name is Rachel Summers. I'm sort of your apprentice from about twenty years in the future."

        Both women stood there, mildly dumbfounded. "What?!" both blurted.

To be continued...