Xenosaga Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Kisses ❯ Best of All Possible Worlds ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Best of All Possible Worlds
Title: Best of All Possible Worlds
Author: Niu Shiy-Ue (Me ^_^V)
Pairing: Nigredo/Rubedo, some Albedo/Rubedo
Fandom: Xenosaga
Theme: #28 Wada Calcium CD3
Disclaimer: Ah Shion! What has the animation done to my character! (gets hit with a baker's dozen of lawsuits) Okay, fine, they don't belong to me. Hmph.
Summary: Alternate Universe, what if they had managed to contain UDO. Even when things go right, not everyone gets a happy ending.



He'd been awake for a while now, but continued to feign sleep. They never mentioned his imminent mortality to his face. And they were all too experienced to let things slip as they had before. This was the only way he would know what they were really feeling.

"What's that?" Citrine was somewhere off to his left, probably reading the book she had bought earlier. Or stroking the cat. Or both.

"They're calcium pills." And that was Rubedo. He heard the clink of glass on wood, the sound of water being poured. "They're for women, growing children and . . . "

"The elderly."

"Citrine!"

The door opened and cool air wafted over his face. "Don't tell me your still taking care of that daronne(1)?"

"Albe-"

"Mortal lover." A sharp intake of breath from the right; he could almost see the hurt look in Rubedo's face.

"He's right, you know." So far, nothing he hadn't seen or heard or sensed before. Citrine's and Albedo's opinions were well known to him. That wasn't what he wanted to know. "You're going to have to get used to it, Rubedo. Everyone dies eventually."

Mad laughter. "Except us."

"Except us." she acknowledged. "You should just let him go. It would be more convenient."

"I can't believe you're saying that, Citrine. Nigredo's done so much for us." And it was true. As the URTVs had grown older they had eventually stopped aging. And now three of them were trapped, Rubedo as a child of ten, Citrine at an awkward sixteen, Albedo just barely at twenty-one. Without Nigredo, they would all have inevitably been condemned to some orphanage. Or worse.

"You've had plenty of time to get used to it." Also true. Ever since UDO had been sealed in Proto Merkabah when they were almost thirty, they had been waiting for the same thing to happen to Nigredo. But apparently Dmitry Yuriev hadn't considered the Executioner nearly as important as his other creations. The irony was not lost on any of them.

"I'm not like the two of you. I can't just cut myself off from anyone." Unspoken was the 'No matter how much I want to.' But did Rubedo truly want him gone?

"You went through the exact same thing when that catin(2) died."

"Albedo!" A sigh. "Don't talk about her like that. She was more than you ever will be."

"More to you! But why? She wasn't even an URTV!"

"So what! It's not like we have a purpose now!"

He heard some struggling, then Citrine intervened. "That's enough from both of you. It doesn't matter anyway."

"You're right. He'll be gone soon enough."

"The two of you are heartless."

"I could prove ours still exists."

"Albedo, that's disgusting. It wasn't even funny when we were younger." A sharp snap of Citrine closing the book.

"I can't wait for his to stop."

"How many times-mmph" Concerned, Nigredo opened cloudy green eyes. He didn't really believe Citrine and Albedo would try to kill Rubedo, but none of his elder siblings were known for their impulse control.

And wished he hadn't.

He knew Albedo loved Rubedo. Knew it ever since they had met Sakura, felt the almost homicidal hatred that drove him farther and farther toward the edge. But as they had grown up it had faded. When Sakura had died and Rubedo had turned to him for comfort, he hadn't even felt a twinge from their connection.

Apparently, Albedo had become very skilled at hiding his true thoughts.

An outsider would have found it disturbing. Mirror images, elder wrapped around the younger, a tableau of corruption. Another URTV, Citrine, thought it beautiful. Through her eyes, the intermingling of red and white was perfect, two returning to one.

To him, it was just another ghostly spectre of the future, when he was finally 'out of their way'.

He squeezed his eyes shut. But try as he might, he couldn't get the image of their kiss out of his head.

"The two of you need to stop that. I think he's waking up."

He tried to compose himself. No need for any of them to know that he'd been spying on them.

"Hey, Nigredo." Rubedo walked up to the right side of his bed, all easy smiles and shining eyes. Behind him, he could see Albedo sprawled out on a couch, half-mad and sullen. Citrine was exactly where he expected, and she was indeed reading a book and stroking their cat.

"Did I sleep long? What did I miss?"

"Oh nothing much. Just Citrine and Albedo arguing. Again." Rubedo pressed his smooth cheek against his own wrinkled one.

"Glad I missed it then." He looked over at the nightstand. "More pills?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry, they don't taste very good."

"Medicine never does." The elder brother smiled at the joke.

Nigredo smiled back and tried to believe the bitterness he tasted was just the pills.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

(1) old man

(2) bitch