Xenosaga Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Kisses ❯ New Year's Day ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
New Year's Eve
Title: New Year's Eve
Author: Me
Pairing: GaignunxJr. (NigredoxRubedo), pre-established relationship
Fandom: Xenosaga
Theme: #10
Disclaimer: If I owned Xenosaga, I would have demanded they be less wordy. Because after Xenogears and Episode I, they have a terminal case of gobbledygook.



"Who's idea was this?" Gaignun pressed his ice-filled tumbler against his forehead. It was New Year's Eve and he and Jr. were on the roof of the tallest skyscraper in the Kukai foundation celebrating. With the entire crew of the Durandal. And the Elsa. And those Vector employees. And MOMO. And Ziggy. In other words, just about everyone except Marguilis and Pelligri.

The fire-haired boy turned away from watching the party to shoot an amused glance at the man. "As I recall, it was your idea."

"Mine?"

"You're the one who told them just how amazing the lights are at this time. In fact, that's the first thing you said."

He closed his viridian eyes and groaned. "Me and my big mouth. Why didn't you stop me?"

One fine, blood-red brow arched. "I thought we were trying to be discreet?"

"You still could have-it obviously didn't-wouldn't have looked . . . I'm not arguing with you when I'm drunk."

"You're not drunk. Just a bit tipsy. I can tell."

"If I'm not drunk, then why do I have a headache?"

"Just relax, Nigredo. Watch and enjoy yourself." He did as he was told.

It was entertaining, he admitted to himself. The male Vector employee, Allen was deeply in his cups and started blubbering to chaos exactly what he thought of KOS-MOS, it's creator and the unfairness of the world. To his credit, chaos wasn't taking advantage of the other's inebriation and merely smiling sympathetically (with a portable video recorder running beside him). Captain Matthews was trying to sing one of his favorite songs-a duet by two soprano pop stars (maybe this explained his former headache). Hammer was making a group of 100-series laugh by trying to juggle, trying being the operative word. Tony was flirting with: Mary (who laughed at him), Shelley (who slapped him), Shion (didn't actually get beyond hello before her older brother Jin and his katana stepped in) and MOMO (at which point he was promptly slammed into a wall by Ziggy which ended his spree). Still, he would have rather watched the light display in peace and quiet.

"Is the countdown soon?" he asked his older brother.

"Soon. The laser show is starting."

On Miltia (Second and First) there had been a tradition of celebrating the New Year's with fireworks. It wasn't practical to do so on a station, so instead they hired laser artists. Combined with the Foundation's virtual projection technology which projected any night sky, fireworks, lighting or auroras. It was quite a spectacular display. This year, because of the recent events, the show was somewhat toned down. No fireworks or lightning were projected and the laser show was limited to flowers, geometric and abstract figures. Nothing that would remind the citizens of the recent attacks by the Federation and the Gnosis. But it was still quite good, and for those who had never seen it before, downright spectacular.

"Ten!"

The general hubbub of conversation stopped as people started the countdown.

"Nine!"

Gaignun was surprised when Jr. came over to sit on his lap.

"Eight!"

He would have expected him to be with MOMO, counting with the rest.

"Seven!"

Not that he minded. He shifted so that they would both be more comfortable and continued to watch the giant laser clock in the sky.

"Six!"

But Jr. had different ideas. He stretched up to look Gaignun in the eye, a smirk on his face.

"Five!"

He leaned closer, till they were nearly touching.

"Four!"

Blue eyes had the complete attention of green ones.

"Three!"

Gaignun felt himself tense up in anticipation.

"Two!"

His breath quickened and a slight blush stained his cheekbones.

"One! Happy New Year!"

And Jr. gave him a quick peck on the lips then pulled away. "It's good luck to kiss someone at midnight."

Gaignun let his disappointment drift across the link. "And that's all I get?"

Again, that wry, amused look. "I thought we were trying to be discreet?"

The boy started to step away, but was quickly caught and pulled back down before he could complete the action. Gaignun's arms wrapped around him to keep him from escaping again. "Heh, we saw how well that worked last time."

Jr. laughed and let the other kiss him more thoroughly.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

OMAKE:

A pair of gleeful blue eyes turned away to check the images caught by her cell. Yup, she had caught both of them, first at midnight, and then the second that Master Gaignun had initiated. She quickly made her way over to Shelley. "Hey sis, guess what, you owe me ten bucks."

The violet-haired girl looked disappointed. "You have all the luck Mary. I never get any good pictures."

"Timing, sis, timing." At this point the two Godwins were surrounded by a group of 100-series from the Durandal.

"So did you get it?"

"Better than that." Mary flashed a victory sign. "I got two! Don't forget to start putting in orders tonight!"

"I want the one at midnight!"

"I'll have the second one. Knowing Jr. he probably copped out at during the countdown."

"Are you kidding? I'm getting both!"