Xenosaga Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Kisses ❯ Alcohol ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Gaignun?"

"Come in, Rubedo." The red-headed stepped into the gloomy room. The only light came from a computer screen, casting a spectral glow on his younger brother's face. "I was just catching up on some paperwork."

"I see." He made his way over, pausing when he spotted the glass on the desk. "You've been drinking?"

"Just to relax." He smirked at the shorter boy. "If you're that worried you can check over my work later."

"That's not the point! You never drink!"

"After all that's been going on-"

"Gaignun, what's wrong with you?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you've been acting downright weird. You've been having headaches and blackouts, not to mention isolating yourself. One day you acting worried and depressed; then today you're so cheerful as if you didn't have a care in the world. I don't think I understand you any more!"

The other wrapped his arm around Junior's shoulders and drew him closer. "I'm sorry. It's just stress." And then in undertone. "There's nothing to worry about. Everything is going according to plan." That startled Junior; he didn't think Gaignun had meant for him to hear that last part. And what plan was he talking about?

Junior couldn't keep his anxiety out of his eyes or his voice. "Are you sure? You know, you can tell me anything."

"I'm fine." The Director smiled again, and the blue-eyed boy was hit by a wave of deja-vu. This reminded him of the uncomfortable conversation they had just a few days ago. The dark room, the fluorescent glow bleaching all color from his brother's hair and eyes, the same almost creepy affection in Gaignun's actions, it was exactly the same. "Are you alright?"

That snapped his attention back to the present. "Wha-what?"

"Don't think I haven't noticed. You're still brooding over what just happened."

"It's none of your-"

"Of course it is. Anything that deals with you is my concern." The man picked up the tumbler that had started the argument. "Here, you look like you need this as well."

Blue eyes widened. Now he was sure something was wrong with younger brother. Gaignun had never approved of the older URTV's habit of occasionally indulging in alcohol and now he was actually offering some to Junior? "Wait, are you-"

"Say ahh." The cool glass was carefully placed on his lips. Deciding it wasn't worth fighting over, the younger looking boy took a small sip. To his surprise, the liquor smelled strongly of peaches.

"Did you like it? I don't believe you've had schnapps before." The taller man took a swallow of the alcohol. Junior didn't say anything. "Rubedo?"

"Sorry, I was just thinking."

"It's alright. Listen, this has been rougher on you than me. Why don't you take a vacation? Spend some time with that creature. I'll take care of your work."

The alarm bells just got louder and louder. "Are you sure?" asked Junior. "After what you just said-"

Then Gaignun waved him off, already focused on whatever Junior had interrupted. Rather than say anything else, Junior walked out of the room.

He had more questions now than when he first walked in.