Xenosaga Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Kisses ❯ Beach of Nothingness ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It was a place that only existed in dreams.

The black cliffs and cloudy sky, he had only heard about them, never expecting that he would come here some day himself. The grey waves continued to crash on the white sand, but the world was completely silent. The air tasted flat and dead.

Albedo? He reached deep inside himself, but got no response. Even his second heartbeat was absent. Junior shivered, feeling alone and cold.

He started walking. Like the waves, his footsteps made no sound over the sand. Once, when he stopped and turned around, he noticed that he left no footprints in his wake. He didn't know how long he continued along. It could have been hours. It could have been days.

Finally, he came upon a child building a sandcastle. Someone he hadn't seen for a very long time. Junior took a step back. "Gaignun?" He heard his voice echo strangely over the land.

The other boy looked up and smiled. "Hi Rubedo." His black haired brother reached out one hand. Bemused, he took it and allowed the other to drag him down. To his surprise, he could feel the gritty dampness of the quartz grains.

"What's going on here? I thought this place disappeared with the UMN."

"Rubedo," Gaignun had returned to building the castle. "I said we'd play together again, didn't I?"

"Well, yeah. But you're dead."

The other smiled and shook his head. "I'm waiting, waiting for you to find me again." He began to dig a moat around the castle.

"You are?" Unconsciously, Junior began to help his brother.

"Yes"

"But how can we . . . " the redhead's shoulders slumped. "We've been looking for so long . . . "

To Junior's surprise, he felt the other embrace him. "Yeah, I know. And that's why I wanted to see you. So that you could know that you're on the right track."

Junior looked up into too familiar eyes. That gentle, caring expression made him uncomfortable. He felt he had disappointed those eyes. "Gaignun, I-"

"I'm sorry, I've kept you here longer than I should." The other leaned forward and kissed him gently on the lips. "Find me, niisan. Don't keep me waiting too long."



Junior opened his eyes to find MOMO shaking him. "I'm up, I'm up," he muttered. Shifting one hand to his chest he felt the second heart beat pulsing strongly.

She smiled at him. "We've found another planet! First Contact'll be in two hours."

"Thanks MOMO. I really appreciate this."

"Hurry up then! Or Ziggy and I will leave without you!"

"Yeah, yeah, I'll be there, alright?"

She laughed and skipped out of the room. Junior closed his eyes and collapsed back on his bed.

"So it was just a dream," he muttered to himself. He was about to run his hand through his hair, but then he stopped. Small, damp, white grains of sand were caught in the creases of his palm. He stared at them for a minute then smirked.

Hey Albedo!

What? His twin woke sluggishly from his own dream.

We've got a new planet to explore!

So?

And I've got a great feeling about this one!