Xenosaga Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Kisses ❯ Dialog ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Rubedo hates his eyes. There are many reasons for this.

First, they remind him of the sky. Not the real one, but rather one in the Encephalon. The fake, flat one that was the perfect sky blue, but not really because the sky never was that color. The one that never changed even if it was sunny or snowing (or dying). The only one that Sakura had ever seen because she died and he had never shown her what a real sky looked like. His eyes reminded him of failure.

Gaignun's always liked the shore of the Foundation. He likes the sky and he likes the sea. He likes the amount of effort put into them and the fact that none of it shows; they are perfect replicas of the real thing. The whole display is a result of the tremendous success they have had with the Foundation. Yet most of all, he likes the color.

He also hates them because they're the exact same shade as the Hilbert Effect. He doesn't know if that was by design or chance, but it really doesn't matter. Mary calls them cute and says they're exactly like her own, and sometimes that helps for a while. But then he'll glance in the mirror and the color will hit him again. He hates what it shows him. That unlike Mary, he is only a weapon.

He also likes Junior's guns. Whenever he sees them, he can't help but imagine how his brother uses them. All swift movement and action and that reckless grin on the red-head's face. He'll never admit all of this; of course, he's supposed to be the pacifistic side of the Foundation. But to him, they represent action and power and daring.

Finally, he hates them because they came from Dmitri Yuriev. He envies Albedo, Nigredo and Citrine for their violet, green and brown irises. Of all the variants, he is the only one who inherited their father's blue eyes, the eyes of the man he hates more than anyone or anything else in the universe. They are also the same blue eyes of the collective. The same blue eyes that he massacred when he failed his duty as a leader. The eyes of a killer.

Probably the oddest thing Gaignun likes is the tattoo on his hand. Given the Foundation's wealth and technology, he could have easily had it removed. But Junior didn't and Gaignun likes to think of it as a visible reminder of the past.

But really none of this is strange to Gaignun. He likes the tattoo because it is a connection to his brother. He likes the guns because he likes to picture Junior using them, a wild grin on his face and a bold flash in his eyes. And he likes the sea and the sky because they're just the same perfect blue as his brother's eyes.

And Gaignun loves his brother's eyes.