Xenosaga Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Kisses ❯ A Glass of Blood ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It's just a glass.

Just a glass of wine.

A glass of wine with his older brother.

The room is awash with soft light. Gold and white candle flame bounces off mirrors and thousands of crystal facets to drown any and all shadows, but gentler than the harsh sun. Equally soft is the sound of cloth sliding over cloth and whispered conversation, nothing else disturbs the silence of the room.

His brother's hair is a tangle of fire, accenting too-bright eyes that throw blue rays back at the gold lamplight. He laughs and leans back, drawing attention to the ivory skin of his throat, contrasted against the plum velvet of the couch. "It's been a while."

"Yes" The rimed edge of the glass bites his lip when he takes a sip, the wine ice-gold and fruit-sweet. The other's glass sits on the table, dry and ruby tinged. "I want . . . " He closes his green eyes for a moment, wishing he didn't feel so old.

When he opens them again, the other is gone. Disappointment, but then crystal-cold fingertips are tracing the lines of his face, leaving his skin wanting. Cold lips, tasting of metal, touch his, then press to his wrist. "What did you want?"

"It's nothing." The light touch moves to his neck, to press against his fast-beating pulse. He looks up, to see shadows gather where there were none. Black and gold intermingles in a whirl. The room dances and his brother's slight weight is all that is keeping him grounded. He closes his eyes again.

It's only a glass of wine.