Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ Within My Mind, Within Your Heart ❯ Dreams/Nightmares ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Within My Mind, Within Your Heart
Chapter Three- Dreams/Nightmares
 
Tsuzuki's feet touched the ground again, just as grassy as the first level, but no light blinded him this time. He opened his eyes to be met with a desolate landscape, the only life around being sakura trees. The air around him hung thickly and there wasn't any sound, except for the cold wind blowing against him, seeping through his jacket, making him shiver. He saw another stream, but this one was different. It was frightening to look at it.
 
The water wasn't clear, but rather a deep crimson, the color of blood. Judging by the red full moon overhead and the deep rich tone of red, it had to be blood. He dipped his finger in it and tasted it, spitting it right out when his thoughts were confirmed. It was a river of blood. It seemed to begin from a certain sakura tree, off in the distance. Since the river of tears came from a tree, maybe this one came from the sakura tree and that was where he would find his partner.
 
He ran off in that direction, following the flowing blood before he came to a dead stop near the sakura, seeing a figure laying under it, hands tied up and bound around the tree's trunk with a tie. The blood was coming from the red pattern marring his skin and from his eyes. His tears were of blood as well.
 
He ran over to the bound figure, seeing that his tattered kimono was ripped, barely enough to cover him up, and his face was contorted with pain and his eyes were closed, as though he was asleep. Most likely he was unconscious. The deep red pattern on his pale skin began to glow deeper and his pained expression hardened and the boy winced, trying to move his arms from being held above him, but to no avail.
 
Tsuzuki lightly shook the empath's shoulder, making his eyes open slightly to greet him, but then they just closed again and his head fell off to the side, and he appeared to have fallen unconscious again. Tsuzuki reached up and undid the tie, grateful that it didn't re-knot itself like the wires had. He caught the boys wrists, which were bruised, bleeding, and one was broken, which wasn't healing.
 
He bent down to lift the boy up, but a barrier was around the teen, keeping him from touching him any further. It even made him drop the wounded wrists as eyelids slid back, revealing the forest green eyes. A look of utter hopelessness crossed his face as he murmured, barely audible, “It's changed, you know…? I never bled as much… Even the sakura is different…”
 
“Hisoka, please come back. I don't want you trapped in here anymore,” Tsuzuki pleaded. The boy weakly shook his head. It was like trying to get a brick wall to talk. The boy didn't want to return, no matter how many times the elder shinigami pleaded.
 
Suddenly, the wind blew harder and Hisoka's hands were once again tied to the tree's base, the bloody moon shining on his body alone. A dark figure began to walk up the hill through the river of blood, a single eye glowing and a dark aura around the person. The man stopped a few feet away from their position and stared down at Hisoka, a tongue darting out to lick his lips. You didn't have to be a shinigami or be able to read minds to know that this was a memory of Muraki when he had cursed Hisoka.
 
The white man lifted his hand and the boy next to Tsuzuki let out a scream of pain as the curse delved deeper in his skin, glowing almost black from its now ruby state. Laughter, high cynical laughter rang out through the sakura field and more tears of blood fell from the green eyes of Tsuzuki's partner as the figure got down on his knees and loomed over him.
 
Tsuzuki reached out to push the madman away, but his hands went right through him. Of course. Like Hisoka had said on the first level, things were only as his mind were, even if he were to push the psychopath away, he would still return to the same position because you couldn't change the past. Tsuzuki bit his lip as another cry tore past Hisoka's lips, echoing through the empty air, as Muraki took out a knife and began to re-carve the curse into his flesh, smirking for each plea from the boy reached his ears.
 
A silent tear fell down Tsuzuki's cheek as he witnessed the night, and soon, he couldn't take it anyway. He feel on his knees, putting his hands over his ears, shutting his eyes tightly. He tried to get the sound of the boy's cries of pain out of his head, but they only seemed to echo louder. Then, he heard Muraki speak in a sadistic, lust filled voice, “You're a pretty little doll, aren't you? Such a beautiful boy… you could have lived until your twenties, but that won't happen now because of your bad luck tonight, will it?”
 
Hearing Muraki's words were worse than Hisoka's screams and more tears fell from his amethyst eyes, knowing he couldn't do anything to stop this. Then, the screaming stopped and Muraki was gone. Hisoka's torn body was shaking as the night wind hit it and he began to turn translucent. Tsuzuki rushed over to his side, lifting him up slightly and settling Hisoka's head in his lap while he tried to stop the sob racking his shoulders.
 
The tense body of his younger partner began to relax, but he was only fading faster, falling farther back into his mind, to the third level. His eyes opened slightly to meet the worried purple ones of the older, and then, his entire body went slack as he vanished.
 
Tsuzuki stared down at his empty lap, his mind now just registering that Hisoka had gone on to the next level, a much harder one to get through. Why didn't he just come back? He had pleaded for the empath to return, but the boy had said no. Why?
 
And why was Tsuzuki trying so desperately to get him back? He cared for him a great deal, sure, but to what extent? He thought it was just out of friendship and their partnership. But… Was it possible that he cared more for him than just a friend? Tsuzuki shook his head. If that were true, he'd have discovered the feelings earlier. Even after Kyoto, it was only to the extent of friendship, family, and partnership, in Tsuzuki's case. And when he thought of how Hisoka may have felt in Kyoto, then to what he had done to him in the library…
 
Again, Tsuzuki shook his head, pulling out another sutra to go beyond the second level. Whether or not he cared more than a friend or as little as family, he was going to bring the boy back.