Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ Within My Mind, Within Your Heart ❯ Maiden ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Within My Mind, Within Your Heart
Chapter Four- Maiden
 
The passageway into the third level was somewhat different. Instead of the creepy bone chilling blue, it was a slightly warmer color of purple with streaks of blue and red running across the endless space, instead of orange and yellow streaks. Tsuzuki came to a halt in the passageway as he saw a net-type of barrier clocking his path. He touched it with his finger and it burned. Automatically, the finger healed as Tsuzuki was a shinigami. He pulled out a sutra and placed it on the barrier, but it just burned away. Tsuzuki sighed in frustration. Now what?
 
A soft giggle reached his ears and he whirled around, looking for the source. “Who's there?”
 
The giggle came again and a figure began to appear in front of him, first the slim figure, then a pair of perfect angel wings protruding out the person's back. Dirty blonde hair became solid and green eyes smiled at him as a white robe wrapped around him, hanging loosely on his small frame. Hisoka giggled again and waved playfully.
 
Tsuzuki wasn't sure what he was seeing. Hisoka smiling was one thing, but… giggling? The robe he was wearing was falling off his shoulders, exposing his creamy toned chest. Tsuzuki's eyes widened as Hisoka allowed the robe to fall more, down to his abdomen. Tsuzuki's eyes widened more, if possible, as Hisoka giggled again and floated a few feet above the passageway level, flying towards the barrier. Tsuzuki reached out a hand to stop him from burning himself, but didn't reach him in time. “Hisoka, no!”
 
But it was too late. The boy's back hit the barrier and he let out a cry of pain, his wings losing their feathers rapidly and the boy vanished as though he were never there. Tsuzuki ran over to the barrier, which, to his amazement, was breaking at a fast pace. It wasn't long before it shattered completely, leaving the pathway clear. Had Hisoka done that on purpose or accident, Tsuzuki didn't know. He continued on, hoping to find the boy again, also hoping he wasn't injured from what he had just done.
 
Again, there was no light like there was before. If not that, the purple became darker, almost black and Tsuzuki's feet touch the ground again. However, it wasn't anything soft or earthly. It was hard, cold cement flooring and the air was thick, dank, and it was very, VERY cold. There came a tapping noise, suspiciously sounding like rain against a window, and as Tsuzuki's inhuman eyes adjusted to the darkness, he became aware that he was in a basement, and not just a simple basement. It was a cell.
 
The tapping became louder and beyond the closely together cell bars were people in the shadows, pointing and glaring, their hateful eyes flashing in the dark. They seemed to be looking beyond Tsuzuki to something else in the cell. Tsuzuki looked around until his purple eyes fell on a tiny little child, huddled in the corner, the rain against the window adding a gloomy effect on his blank face and lightning flashing, revealing the child's dirty hair and staring eyes. The people outside the cell were still mocking and voices began to speak more clearly.
 
“What a frightening child…” said one, a woman.
 
“He's kind of scary…” said another, also female.
 
“You monster!” shouted a man, most likely the father in question.
 
“He's not my child!” another woman said, most likely the mother in question.
 
Hisoka didn't seem to have heard the voices, nor notice the small wet trail falling down his cheek as he stayed huddled, legs up to his chest and arms around the top of his knees, his dead green eyes staring out at nothing. Tsuzuki, ignoring the hidden people, walked cautiously over to the child and knelt down next to him, waving a hand into what would be the empath's field of vision. But the green eyes didn't even blink.
 
Tsuzuki leaned against the cell wall, putting a hand on the boy's shoulder. He figured that the little Hisoka either didn't know he was really there, since this was a memory, or that he was just ignoring him. He blocked out the jeers and accusations from the people in the shadows, knowing he had seen enough, and decided to test his theory and he wrapped his arms around the slightly shaking child. The child flinched and Tsuzuki was correct on his second guess. The memory of Hisoka was ignoring him.
 
He pulled the boy into his lap and softly stroked his hair in a comforting gesture. The boy leaned against him before wrapping his small arms around Tsuzuki's neck and kissing his cheek. Tsuzuki was caught off guard and lightly pushed the boy away. Sad, broken green eyes looked up at him before moving away from him and Tsuzuki feared me might've just pushed Hisoka away again, something he didn't want to do, especially now.
 
Tsuzuki reached out a hand to call the small boy back, but scared forest orbs stared at him in a mixture of sadness and grief, inching away from the hand. More comments came from the shadow people, who couldn't see Tsuzuki.
 
“Look at the beast crawl away from things we can't see!”
 
“I knew it! I knew he was a demon!”
 
“Hurt him! Show him the pain he deserves!”
 
The cell door opened and a man stepped in, who, even in shadows and darkness, could be seen and identified as Nagare, Hisoka's father. The man held a whip in his hand and he unfurled it. The small child backed up against the wall, but his father grunted, grabbing his thin arm and pushing him--- no throwing him--- across the room, yelling, “On your feet, demon!”
 
The trembling boy did as he was told and Nagare snapped the whip. Hisoka screamed in pain as the back of his kimono tore, allowing the whip to cut into his back, into his very skin. The shadow people laughed and some cackled while Nagare smirked and just hauled his son back on his feet, only to sink the whip into his back again.
 
“I've had enough of this!” Tsuzuki shouted aloud to no one in particular. He didn't want to see Hisoka in pain anymore, and not by his memories.
 
He strode forward and time in the mind of the empath seemed to stop. The child was laying curled up on the basement cell floor, his back bleeding from the whiplash marks and silent tears streaming down his cheeks. The elder shinigami lifted the shivering form of his childhood partner and put him in his lap again. He rocked the boy back and forth, whispering soothing things into his ear, stroking the boy's back, despite the blood gathering on his fingers from the open wounds.
 
He kept Hisoka's head on his chest and tightened the embrace to project comfort to the boy, who's shaking shoulders and sobs began to quiet down a bit, but only a bit. Yet, even the smallest improvement was a big step on this matter. Tsuzuki just continued to whisper into Hisoka's ear, rocking him gently, and holding him with care, as though he would break with the slightest wrong touch. The small arms came up and now hesitantly wrapped around his neck, but Hisoka didn't kiss his cheek again. For some reason or another, even though it was small, a tiny twinge of disappointment entered the elder shinigami, and he didn't know why.
 
Suddenly, Hisoka's small body stopped shaking and began to turn transparent, fading off, leaving behind trails of sparks. Tsuzuki grabbed Hisoka's hand, desperate for the boy to stay, but the emerald gems didn't meet his amethyst ones. “Hisoka, wait!”
 
But his hand went right through Hisoka's hand as the boy retreated ever farther within his mind, thin water springs falling down his pale face. Tsuzuki was getting worried and annoyed that no matter what did, the youth retreated even more into his mind. Was it because he didn't return the boy's feelings? That was probably what it was, but Tsuzuki couldn't be sure. All he had to do was follow the boy until he retreated into his Heart Conscious, where he would have no other place to go. Tsuzuki hoped it wouldn't come to that, because he remembered what Watari told him.
 
“The mind can retreat as far back as the Heart Conscious, which is the last impenetrable level. Unless we bring him back, he'll stay like this forever.”
 
Tsuzuki didn't want Hisoka to stay like this forever, but if it came to going to the last level, he would do it. Tsuzuki felt a strange feeling rise in his chest and he clutched it, over his heart, not sure what he was feeling. Did he… actually… love the boy? Tsuzuki shook his head, clutching his chest tighter to try and stop the slight ache it dulled, leaving him slightly panting. No, he couldn't, but then… what was this feeling?