Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ Within My Mind, Within Your Heart ❯ Heart Conscious ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Within My Mind, Within Your Heart
Chapter Eight- Heart Conscious
 
There was no passageway this time. It was, to his surprise, a green nothingness that was like being in liquid satin, if satin was ever liquid beforehand and created like that. It was soft, being inside a gel that caressed his skin and fanned his hair in and out of his field of vision.
 
Whispers and small voices all around him uttered words into his ear and it wasn't long before he realized that he was hearing his partner's feelings and emotions. Fear, love, grief, regret, remorse, recognition, care, innocence… the list was long, so long it made Tsuzuki's head hurt from the force of it. He realized he was floating in the green liquid and that he was able to breathe it in without drowning. It was really his Heart Conscious.
 
He looked around for his partner and it wasn't long before he spotted Hisoka floating a little ways away, curled upright into the fetal position, his entire body stripped except for faded pink ribbons encircling his form, floating just inches off his skin as his bangs floated in front of his closed eyes.
 
Swimming over to him as quickly as possible, Tsuzuki floated down to the boy's level, floating next to him and putting his arms under his form, listing him up against his chest bridal style. The boy didn't move or make a sound. Fear and panic rose within Tsuzuki as he lightly shook the boy.
 
“Wake up, wake up, Hisoka. Please wake up…”
 
The empath didn't make any form of response. It was as though he was… No, he couldn't be dead. He was already dead, and you couldn't die a second time within your mind… right?
 
“Hisoka, please, wake up!”
 
A voice rang out behind him, louder than all of Hisoka's whispers, “He won't wake.”
 
Tsuzuki flinched and whirled around.
 
---------------------------------------------------
 
Tatsumi rubbed his temples. This situation wasn't good. Tsuzuki had recklessly plunged himself into Hisoka's mind and stayed in that position for the past several hours now. Hisoka wasn't showing signs of coming back, but neither was Tsuzuki. They were frozen in their positions, Tsuzuki's hand on Hisoka's forehead as the boy lay motionless in the infirmary bed. Watari was moving around and checking on both shinigami often, making sure they still were, at the very least, within themselves or each other.
 
“We may have to stop him, Tatsumi,” the scientist said as he looked up from his laptop. “He's going too far in and has been gone longer than the expected exit time from Bon's mind.”
 
“I doubt Tsuzuki will allow us to take him from Kurosaki's mind without his permission and without the boy himself,” Tatsumi replied, adjusting his glasses before glancing back at the pair worriedly.
 
“How did this start in the first place?” asked Terazuma, annoyed. “In fact, why am I even here? I don't care what happens to the idiot.”
 
“Hajime!” Wakaba protested. “His life as well as Hisoka's is on the line! He could die, just like in Kyoto!”
 
Terazuma huffed and looked out the window, uninterestedly. Wakaba frowned. Why was working with Terazuma so hard? He never seemed to care about anything… well, except smoking and trying to do better than Tsuzuki, but other than that… Wakaba sighed.
 
Watari looked up from his laptop and shook his head. “I've done some research, but I doubt any of you are going to like this.”
 
“Like what?” asked Wakaba. Tatsumi looked up from the pair of the within shinigami to look at the blonde. Terazuma glanced at the scientist as well. Watari nodded, but then sighed.
 
“According to this, the deeper levels, such as the Conscious and Heart Conscious are hard to get out from. The Conscious displays flaws and imperfections, but it doesn't display fear. Bon could do whatever he wanted in his Conscious and not fear doing so or feel guilty for it. In the Heart Conscious, everything is revealed, his desires, his fears, his feelings, and the very core of his own emotions. However…”
 
“Go on,” Tatsumi beckoned. Watari sat back. “Okay, but I'm warning you… this isn't good news.”
 
At the stares he got, he went on to explain.
 
“The Heart Conscious is a very complicated level to understand. It's hard enough to get through and into it and even harder to get out, as it's the seventh level. The heart's emotions speak like whispers when you're in the Heart Conscious, because it can never get too loud. Normally, the Heart Conscious is made of a mind essence, usually the color of one's eyes, and if tainted, that essence will become hard. That's not the worse of it, though.”
 
“Well, then tell us, for pity's sake,” Terazuma growled. Watari nodded, ignoring the growl.
 
“The worst about the Heart Conscious is that for any intruder, it creates a form of dream field, in which the intruder will see a dream state. While asleep, they are put into a sort of box, what would be called a dream box, but it's really their own essence around them in a protective barrier field. The barrier only keeps them from escaping, while the Heart Conscious explores the intruder's own mind, making real the intruder's desires, but only in their unconscious state.”
 
“So if Tsuzuki goes into the Heart Conscious…” Wakaba breathed.
 
Watari nodded. “He could be stuck in a dream state forever. Problem is, the worst part about that is… once they go into a dream state, they don't have the ability to ever awaken.”