Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ A Duel For Love ❯ Part 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Yugioh GX
A Duel For Love, part 1
 
By Robster80
 
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in this story, or even Yugioh GX. The Character Disa is taken form the PSP video game Yugioh GX Tag Force, so I do not own her, either. I write fanfiction for fun, not profit.
 
Notes: This is set at the end of year one; Chumley and Zane have left Duel Academy, and the whole storyline with the Three Sacred Beasts has been resolved.
 
 
If there was anything that Disa Ibuki had learned above all else since she started attending Duel Academy, it was that things change. Ever since she had won her match at the entrance exams and was placed in Obelisk Blue, she was told right off the bat by Dr. Crowler and several other Obelisk Blue students, and even Ra Yellow Students that anybody from Slifer Red was far inferior to them and should not be associated with. The Slifers were the lowest of the three dorms; it was rumors that this was set up by Seto Kaiba when he founded the Academy because originally the Slifer God Card was owned by Kaiba's lifelong rival Yugi Mutoh, the King of Games, while he owned the Obelisk God Card during Battle City.
 
If that were true, then why did Jaden Yuki get assigned to the Slifer dorm after he defeated Dr. Crowler back at the exams?
 
Disa's heart fluttered at the thought of Jaden. She had a crush on him ever since she first saw him duel. Granted his grades weren't amongst the highest, he slept in most classes, and he had lousy tastes in friends, especially Bastion Misawa, but when he dueled, it was as if his true self was revealed. His love for the game and the cards was far superior to that of Joey Wheeler, or even Yugi. Disa had longed to talk to him…
 
IF he didn't hang out with that scank Alexis Rhodes!
 
A frown crossed Disa's lips upon Alexis entering her mind. Alexis was ranked among the top students of the Academy, let alone the Obelisk Blue Girls' Dorm. Yet she would seem so cold on the dueling field that she earned the nickname Ice Duel Queen, and most stayed clear of her save for her two flunkies Jasmine and Mindy. Dis thought the three deserved each other; three total losers hanging out together. They should have been put in Slifer Red at the start.
 
Of course, then Jaden would have to be put in Ra Yellow, or better yet, Obelisk Blue. Disa didn't want Alexis to be any closer to him. He didn't belong in Slifer anyway. She had watched his duels against many a proud duelist: Chazz Princeton (stuck-up snob), the Paradox Brothers (weirdoes), Bastion (all brains, no real duel power), Dimitri the copycat (puh-thetic), and then Harrington Rosewood, who…
 
No, no, no, no! Don't even think about that particular duel, Disa!
 
Jaden's duel with Rosewood was her least favorite, because of the reason behind it. Rosewood had a crush on Alexis, and Disa had convinced him to tell Alexis how he felt. But then Jaden got involved and Rosewood challenged him to a duel after seeing how friendly Alexis was with Jaden. But, of course, Jaden won, and Rosewood declared him to be Alexis's rightful fiancée. Needless to say, Disa was furious.
 
And then there was the time of the Shadow Riders, who were after the Sacred Beasts cards buried underneath the Academy. Jaden was one of the chosen duelists to defend the keys to the Beasts cards, and he defeated the most, including the one who managed to get a hold of the Beasts cards.
 
Finally, there was the duel between Jaden and Zane, the latter whom was graduating from the Academy. Zane chose Jaden for his opponent for the duel, and, although Jaden lost, both he and Zane managed to have great respect for one another. How could a great duelist still be placed in the lowest dorm of the entire school?!
 
Many times Disa had gone to Chancellor Sheppard, asking him to promote Jaden out of Slifer. The Chancellor confessed he's tried many times before to persuade Jaden to move up a rank, but Jaden was happy to be where he was and wouldn't leave. He had also explained that Jaden was also helping the Slifer Dorm's reputation by staying there; no Slifer before had ever won so many duels before in Academy history, and this would finally open everyone's eyes to the fact that in truth there is no lowest-ranking dorm at all - all duelists are equal. Disa had to admit that this was indeed true.
 
She also had to admit that there was one good thing about Alexis hanging out with Jaden; she now had the courage to at least try to talk to him without being condemned by the entire school. Many people were shocked by Alexis associating with Jaden, even Mindy and Jasmine. However, as the days went by, Disa noticed that the Ra's and a few of the Obelisks were now talking to the Slifers without insults. Apparently, Alexis (and also Bastion, though not by a whole lot) had started what Sheppard had said would happen because of Jaden; the barriers between Slifer and the rest of the school were dropping. Even Dr. Crowler seemed to tolerate Jaden more and more.
 
At present, Disa was in study hall, which was her final period for the day. She was waiting for the final bell to ring, and then she would go hunt down Jaden and invite him to join her in buying new card packs at the school store. It would be easier now that one of Jaden's friends from Slifer, Chumley Huffington, had graduated and gone to work for I2 as a card designer. Now Jaden only had Syrus Trunesdale to hang out with, aside from Bastion, and Alexis, and even Cahzz Princeton, who had left the Academy briefly before returning (and got put in Slifer, where he REALLY belonged in Disa's opinion). Disa also hoped this would be her chance to duel Jaden herself. She had been analyzing his deck for a long time, and her deck, dubbed “Weeping King,” was more than ready to take him, or anyone else, on.
 
Suddenly, Chancellor Sheppard's voice boomed over the school's loudspeakers. “Attention, everyone; at this time I would like to make an announcement before the end of classes. This coming weekend, we will be holding a mini-tournament where you, the students, will be involved in tag team matches. This was inspired by the tag duel between our school's own Jaden Yuki and Syrus Trunesdale, and the Paradox Brothers a few months back. Also, I must admit, this is due to the good relations between all the students, no matter which dorm you're all in, that I've seen in all my years as Chancellor. Therefore… I'm issuing that each of you may partner up with a fellow student who is not in the same dorm as you are, though if your partner is in the same dorm, that is still okay, but I would really like to see some diversity. In fact, I'm making it mandatory that there be more than 60% of the teams are made of one student per dorm. Boy-girl teams are also allowed. That is all. …Oh yes, and classes are dismissed!
 
Everybody in the study hall never saw Disa run so fast before; as soon as Chancellor Sheppard said that classes were done, she grabbed her books and raced out into the hallways.
 
I GOT TO FIND JADEN, PRONTO! NO WAY AM I GOING TO LET ANYBODY ELSE PAIR UP WITH HIM FOR THIS, ESPECIALLY RHODES!!
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
Five minutes rewind
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
As she sat there in class, one would think Alexis was paying close attention to the lessons given by Dr. Crowler. However, this was far from the truth; she was deep in thought, mostly about the last conversation she had with Zane before he left Duel Academy for the Pro Leagues.
 
They had talked about Jaden Yuki.
 
There was something about that boy Alexis couldn't put her finger on. Ever since she had seen him duel and win against Dr. Crowler back at the entrance exams, she seemed… attracted to him. Perhaps that was the reason why she hadn't turned him over to the school's disciplinary squad when he and Syrus were mislead into sneaking to the Girls' Dorm, even though she agreed to if she lost to Jaden in a duel, which she did.
 
Maybe it was because he would talk to her freely and warmly. Because of her cold demeanor in duels, she had been branded as an ice queen and so mostly everyone kept away from her save for Jasmine and Mindy, and of course Zane. They were good friends, but Alexis wished everyone else would try being friends with her. And Jaden was the one to unknowingly answer her silent pleas. This also earned her friends in Syrus, Chumley, and Bastion, and later on Chazz (whom had a crush on her).
 
Alexis also had Jaden to thank for other things. When she had been kidnapped at the Abandoned Dorm, he had rescued her form the Shadow Duelist known as Titan. When the first Shadow Rider appeared, and was revealed to be her missing older brother Atticus, Jaden defeated him and restored his memories. It was as if he was always there to save others when they needed him, especially her; like a knight rescuing helpless villagers and the damsel in distress.
 
This brought back her final time talking to Zane. “You're in love with Jaden, aren't you?” he had asked her most forwardly. She had been totally unprepared for such a question, and from Zane of all people. It almost made her laugh that when he had asked her this, she nearly fell off the dock and into the bay as they were talking at their usual spot by the lighthouse of Duel Academy Island. Of course, she denied that she felt that way about Jaden… while blushing bright pink.
 
Zane then reminded her about how Jaden had saved both her and Atticus. He then pointed out how happy she was after Jaden and Syrus won their tag duel and were allowed to stay on at the Academy, especially Jaden. Before she could try to explain, or rather make up an excuse, Zane also pointed out the duel between Jaden and Rosewood over her, and that Jaden won the “right to be Alexis's fiancée.”
 
“Th-they had no right to determine that,” Alexis said, still blushing. But in her heart, she was glad Jaden had won that duel; because Zane had been right.
 
“Perhaps,” Zane replied, “but… I think you picked a good guy. Atticus seems to approve.”
“Then why did Atticus make Chazz duel me?”
 
“He's your brother, not mine. Anyway, I just want to tell you this. Don't wait too long to tell him your feelings, or it'll be too late… like it was for me to tell you how I felt.”

That had surprised Alexis, as Zane never showed any interest in her, or perhaps she had been blind to that. However, Zane had assured her he realized he had been fooling himself; Alexis and Atticus were like family to him, and he was glad that he at least lost to Jaden in that kind of duel. And so they parted, agreeing to remain friends. Alexis had not said a word to anyone about what she and Zane had talked about that night, not even when Atticus pressed her hard when he heard about it.
 
Should I tell him? I mean, he didn't know what a fiancée was even after the duel with Rosewood, and probably doesn't even know it now. Also… what if it destroys our friendship? He's the first person to even talk to me normally aside from my usual friends. I don't want to drive him away… and yet…
 
And yet… I can't explain why I feel… complete when I'm with him. It's just like that song…
 
At that moment, Chancellor Sheppard made his announcement of the upcoming tag team tournament. Before he even made it clear he wished for most of the teams to be pairs of students form different dorms, Alexis had a sudden idea: I'll ask Jaden to pair with me! But I'd better hurry before he asks, or is asked by Syrus, Bastion, or somebody else. AND I should do it before Chazz finds me!
 
As soon as Alexis heard the dismissal of class, she gathered her things and rushed out of the classroom.
 
 
***************************************************************** ***********************************
 
 
Chancellor Sheppard shut off the speaker system and turned his desk chair over to look at Atticus. “I appreciate you making this suggestion, Atticus. I admit I wanted to do this for some time now, but with all that's happened recently, it must have slipped my mind.”
 
Atticus bowed politely. “I'm the one who should thank you, sir, for mentioning that you allowed boy-girl pairings for this tournament.” This just might be the extra push my sister needs to get Jaden as a boyfriend. He, he, he, he, he! “Now, I do need one last thing, Chancellor…”
 
 
End part 1
 
 
End notes: This is my first official GX fanfic. The idea came to me from playing a lot of the GX Tag Force PSP game, and let me tell you, those Obelisk Blue Girls are KILLER duelists, and Disa is no exception with her deck. Although, she does make a good partner in free duel mode… I'm hoping nobody else has done a GX fic similar to this one, but if someone has, I'm sorry, and I have NOT read your story so please don't think of me as a copy-and-paste cat.
 
Originally I intended this to be a one-shot deal: one chapter and that's it. However, it seems my fingers betrayed me during my typing and now it may become a multi-chapter story. It all depends on you, the readers.
 
Please read & review, and no flames!
 
-R80