Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ Chaotic Outbreak Endless Ilumination ❯ Chapter 9 Soul Bonding ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9 Soul Bonding, The Last Chance to Save a Life
 
“What is soul bonding?” Alexis asked; Siarnaq let out a long sigh. “This is a very uncertain thing; soul bonding can do more damage then good if not done correct. We must be certain, but unfortunately it is looking like we have no choice. I would say he has a couple hours before everything shuts down and…” Alexis got tired of hearing the doom say, and she interrupted Siarnaq. “Then we do not have time to waste!”
 
A nod was offered from Siarnaq as an apology before he began to speak. “We do not have time, but you all must know this. Soul Bonding requires strong souls; these souls must be close in emotion. They cannot hate one another; devotion can create a very strong bond, but many things can cause the reverse. If the soul is weak, or loses the connection between the two then the person who needs the bond will wither away to nothing.”
 
Blair's dedication suddenly dropped after hearing that while everyone else was listening inventively. “There are two key people in this procedure. The first is the dependant; the person that needs the bond. The second person is called the bonded; they offer the support the dependant needs. In return the bonded is gifted with the strength of the dependant. In Brett's case; the most likely benefits will be immortality, and eternal youth, but it is almost impossible to predict what will happen, but you will be rewarded for your actions. The key thing is that this is a sharing of strengths; you must truly care for the individual and have to be certain.”
 
Siarnaq gave a brief pause before he continued; Blair's uncertainty was wavering in and out as she listened. “With all of the positives being said; you must be certain, and take this serious. You are responsible for his life, and if you are not doing this for the right reason, he will suffer immensely. This bond is permanent; it is eternal and forever as far as my research leads me to believe. Once the bond is done it can never be undone; you must be dedicated to the cause of saving Brett's life. I know it sounds daunting, but someone has to do it or Brett will die, there is no questioning that.”
 
Jasmine could no longer hold back her question; “what if the bonded stops loving them, or just falls out of love with him?”
 
Siarnaq looked up to the roof; trying to work up the courage to answer. “Then the dependant will suffer, but to tell the truth; I have no idea about this. I can perform the bonding, but I do not know what will happen. I have never seen a bond like this; this bond may end up eternal till the two break apart. I'm sorry, but I cannot give you a real answer; I'm sorry. So who will be the bonded?”
 
Everyone knew who the right choice was; Alexis looked at her and decided to speak for her. “Come on there is no doubt Blair is the best choice for this; she loves Brett, and I know how much she cares so none of us will need to worry. I don' think Brett would want anyone else to save him.”
 
Blair was listening but she was very uncertain, and her mind kept making her unsure the more she thought. There was no answer; Siarnaq could sense the uncertainty in Blair and he needed to stop this. “If you are uncertain; then forget it. I'm sorry… you cannot be his support; I cannot allow you to be Brett's soul bond partner. It's a shame; I wanted you to be the one, but you are just not committed from what I can sense. I cannot risk any other Exia dying, and therefore with your doubt you will only jeopardize his life… I'm really sorry.”
 
The words hit Blair hard; not because they were unkind, but because they were right. Blair started to cry the hardest she ever had in her life; she apologized to everyone before she ran out of the room. She ran at an incredible pace; her hair whipped from side to side while she tried to whip the tears that were poring down her face. She was so angry at how weak she was, but there was no way she could support Brett. She could not be angrier at her self; she had failed Brett the guy she could have had a real future with.
 
Alexis was speechless; never did she expect Blair to run away from this. Alexis knew that she had to help, and an instant later she took after Blair. She ran after Blair and did not hold anything back; this was more important then anything else in the world to her.
 
Jasmine knew that she could do it, and stepped up with more determination no then she ever had previously. “I will do it; I love him and I will support him forever. I know I can do this, and there is no doubt in my mind that I can do this!”
 
“… Very well; if you are that sure, but we are running low on time. Next we need four support souls; they only need to be around and care for the individuals bit mostly the person who needs this. We must have four suitable candidates or we cannot do this.” Axel waited another instant after Siarnaq finished before he spoke up. “I will do it, and I know Alexis will to…. I will support him no matter how what and I'm certain Alexis feels the exact same way!”
 
The certainty in Axel's voice made it apparent that he was right for the job. Siarnaq already knew Alexis would do it, but there was another problem. “That is good, but unless Alexis can change Blair's mind we will need two more.” Hasleberry was going to wait by while his friend withered and died. “I will do it; I'm tired of sitting back and doing nothing. I would be proud to help out a friend; I want Blair to be happy no matter what, and Brett to.”
 
That left them one short; “Jaden should be the last. Out of all of us he has a strong relation with Brett; he should be the one.” Chazz finished talking and Syrus ran to the entrance; “I will go ask Jaden! I promise I will find out really quick so worry about something else for now.” Syrus took off running as fast as his little short legs would let him, he needed to hurry or it may be to late.
 
“That is good; we will have four souls, but sadly that is not all we need. We need certain things and we need to get them quickly for the ceremony. This is only a guess, but Brett has about two hours to live; then everything will shut down and… no; never mind. We need to prep this room now; we need open space and it is certain that we cannot move him. We will need to make as much room as possible.”
 
Siarnaq, Hasleberry, Chazz, and Axel got to work and tossed beds out of the way. Soon a large area was clear that Siarnaq was satisfied with. “Excellent; this will do, but we are still far from done. I will need some kind of ink or paint to do the symbol, and it has to be gotten first. Time is needed to finish the symbol, and we are running out. Next we will need candles for fire; we will also need earth, water, and wind. It has to be moving air so find something to keep are moving in close proximity; some sort of fan would be perfect.”
 
Mindy told everyone she knew where to find the paint, and ran off like a shot. Chazz and Hasleberry volunteered to wind the rest of what was needed. Siarnaq already was impressed with the friends Brett had crafted from nothing, what was more was how dedicated they were to saving him. Siarnaq went over to check on Brett; his skin was ghost white, and he was still sweating despite how many fluids he had already lost.
 
Jasmine was standing there watching Brett for a second till Axel grabbed her firmly and pulled the spunky girl off to the side. “Come on you; we have to go find Blair and Alexis right now and fix this.” Jasmine was nervous at the idea, but she was pulled along with the fiery haired man. Axel did not want Jasmine to be the one bonded unless it was a last resort, and there was still time.
 
Blair was running faster then she thought she ever could; tears were still coming from her eyes uncontrollably. Alexis slowly caught up with her; she closed in and reached out and grabbed Blair's hand. Alexis pulled Blair back, but she did not want to deal with this. Blair struggled and fought till Alexis pulled her and wrapped her in her arms, and against her body.
 
Blair continued to struggle, but no matter the amount of effort she struggled back with; she could not break free of Alexis's grip. Blair was far to tired from crying and running away from her problems, and she gave up slowly continuing to sob. Blair was caught in a hug she could not escape; slowly Alexis tried to calm her down by shushing in Blair's ear. Alexis let her out of her grasp; Blair looked at her for a moment with her face that was red and her hair was all messy, and she looked away from her embarrassment in her failure.
 
“Blair why did you not be Brett's support; I thought of all people you would jump at the idea of being there for Brett. You always were after Jaden for a while, and you said you wanted to be with him, and I did not like you because of that, but… when I saw how much Brett was in love with you and after everything he has done; I just cannot believe you are doing this… you are still in love with hi, right?”
 
Alexis was desperately hoping that Blair was still in love with him; she did not want these two to break up. Blair was still crying, but she worked up the strength to answer. “I do love him; I love him more then anything else. I want to help him; I really do!”
 
“Then why are you running away?” Alexis asked with a powerful voice; this was not making any sense, but then Blair gave an answer that stunned her. “Why? Because I'm not strong enough; I'm so afraid that I will not be strong enough for him. I'm afraid that I cannot do what I have too; I just will not be able to do it. I'm not strong like you or Jasmine; I can never be that strong. I'm afraid to fail him; there is no way that I could live with myself if I fail this. How could I ever live with that!”
 
“Blair I don't buy that for a second; despite what I thought of you at first I have learned you are really strong. I really don't want to see you two break up, so what is the real reason?” Alexis asked, but she was not ready for the devastating answer that came next from Blair. “Because…! Because I'm not even sure Brett loves me! I know you will say anything to save him, but I'm just so afraid that Brett loves someone else. I'm afraid he loves Jasmine! Why not, she is stronger then me, and she is more mature, and she is a way better duelist… I love him so much that I want him to be with who he should be with… and its not me!!!”
 
“Blair…” Alexis tried to answer, but could not find a way to complete a whole sentence. This was hurting her almost as much as the pain in Blair's heart, the worst thing that haunted Alexis was the feeling she caused this. “Don't say anything! I saw it so many times; Brett was always being so nice to her. I saw them holding hands, and she was always so angry at me for being with him. I was a fool to think that someone as great as Brett would love me! Of course I'm so stupid though; I did not even realize Brett liked me when I met him…”
 
Alexis's heart and conscience was tearing her apart; this was partly her fault and she had to come clean. “Oh god Blair…! I'm so sorry; I'm so incredibly sorry! This is all my fault! I was the one who asked Brett to be nice to Jasmine. I'm so sorry; he was only being so nice because of me.” Blair stopped crying, but she was still unconvinced; “no Brett loves Jasmine. I'm an idiot to think anyone could even like me; it's always the same with me! Nobody has ever really liked me, and I'm an idiot for believing in true love; because all it does is break your heart.”
 
Jasmine had heard the whole thing, and without Axel she walked forward towards Blair. Tears started to form in Jasmine's eyes before she spoke. “Blair… I don't know what to say… I have to apologize; I thought it was a good idea at the time, but I know I was very wrong. I forced my self onto Brett; I tried to take your place, but there is only room in his heart for you. I had no idea you cared about him that much, and I never thought you were that serious…”
 
The words sunk in, and Blair's expression was still sad but angry at the same time. She bolted forward using her open right hand to slap Jasmine across the face. The sound echoed through the hallways of the school from the loud slap. Jasmine's face quivered and her cheek was bright red; the force had caught Jasmine off guard, and Jasmine's face trembled before tears ran down her face.
 
“Why the hell did you do that! I was apologizing and I really am so incredibly sorry! I was begging for your forgiveness and this is how you treat me!” Jasmine yells echoed in the halls, but Blair had never been so angry. She was not going to take it and started to yell at her friend. “That does not make what you did go away! You made me doubt him; you made me doubt my self, and even in what I believed! Nothing you say can ever make that right! NOTHING!”
 
Blair was yelling with all her force; her throat was dry from all the crying but she still powered through, it was worth the effort even with how hard it was. Her anger was overcoming all of her weakness; “I cannot believe you Jasmine! You are suppose to be my friend, and you do this! I'm so incredibly mad that I just cannot even express it!”
 
Jasmine was in tears; it was true and she knew it. She knew that she was horrible, but her pride was getting in the way. “I'm sorry! But you do not know what it is like to watch someone have something that they brag about all the time! I disserve that kind of happiness too… but I was wrong in what I did. I know I don't disserve it but please you have to be the one… I still want you and Brett as my friend.”
 
Jasmine calmed down and stopped yelling; Blair was so incredibly angry, but the sight of her friend in tears brought her back. Alexis was hoping for a peaceful resolution to this problem; slowly Blair took a breath and was ready to talk. “I want you to swear that you will never do something like this ever. Brett is my boyfriend, and I will stay by him forever no matter what happens. So promise me…”
 
Blair did not have to finish and Jasmine shouted to her; “I swear; I'm so sorry Blair… I swear I won't ever get between you two again, just please I don't want you to be hurt this badly because of me…”
 
“No I should not be there; Brett was happy to be with me, but he always seemed to be just forcing it.” Axel stepped out of the darkness; it was time to tell Blair the truth. “Blair; the reason for that Brett was never that happy is because of how much he was suffering from this. He was using all of his strength to hold back the pain since he got back, and I just learned of this the other day… and I told no one. He has been doing it to spend time with you; he was suffering so he could spend time with you. That is how much he loves you Blair, you have to believe me when I say this is the truth…”
 
Axel stopped when he heard Blair laughing; “that sound exactly like Brett. I thought he changed, but he is still the same person that I fell in love with. I'm so sorry Brett for doubting you; you really are perfect for me. I love him so much, and he absolutely loves me; I never should have doubted him, but I swear I will make it up to him. Brett I really truly love you for all eternity and I will never doubt you again…!”
 
Alexis was so incredibly happy, but she was still wondering if Blair would go through with it. “Does that mean that you will…” but Alexis did not even have to finish. Blair turned around with a small smile across her face. She nodded that she would and everyone had a huge smile across her face. “Then let's stop wasting time; Brett needs us and we are going to come through for him before it is too late.”
 
The four of ran back to the infirmary; Siarnaq had everything he needed and Brett was lying in the center on the same bed. To Brett's right was a second bed, and the floor was painted with a detailed symbol. Siarnaq looked down on his work; he inspected it carefully. Any missing details could mess everything up, but it was correct with no flaws. Everything had been gathered, and all that was needed were the support of Brett's friends.
 
The group of four ran into the infirmary, but was careful not to mess up the symbol on the floor. They went over to Siarnaq; Blair was ready to speak up for the one she loved. “I'm going to be the one Brett will be bonded to; I love him and I will stay by his side forever. I no we are perfect and that what we have can last forever!” Blair's voice was filled with strength, and immediately Siarnaq could tell she was perfect. The way she spoke was so confidant and strong that this would work for certain.
 
“I'm glad that you chose to do this; you truly are the perfect person for him, but now you have the strength to do this. I truly wanted you to be the one; Brett told me about you Blair. He was so incredibly in love with you then, and it makes me happy to see you love him so much. Blair; do you know what a natural soul bond is, and how it was formed?”
 
Blair was speechless from Siarnaq's words; all she could do is shake her head no in response. “A natural soul bond is when two individuals care so much, and love each other so much that they form a soul bond with no ceremony. Nothing is needed but there love, and it gives them immense strength and support. Their souls are forever connected, but it needs to soul mates that are truly meant to be together. It really does need a relationship that is that strong, and you and Brett are that kind of pair. You are soul mates; do you know why I'm telling this?”
 
Blair could only shake her head, but she was hoping the answer was what she wanted it to be. “It is because you two are soul mates destined to be together, and that is no lie. You two have not only formed a natural soul bond, but it is the strongest natural soul bond I have ever come across in a thousand years. But we need to get moving; please lay down on the bed beside him, and put your hand over his.”
 
Blair was careful not to mess the symbol; she got up on the bed and lay down next to Brett. Her left hand touched his right hand; his hand was absolutely frozen. She wanted to squeeze it, but she had to follow the instructions. Chazz's PDA went off when he received an email. He opened it and cursed Jaden's name; everyone else was puzzled till Chazz filled them in.
 
“Syrus says that Jaden is not coming; he just refuses to and he will not give a reason.” Siarnaq was frustrated; “we need a replacement now.” Jasmine's ears perked up; “I will take Jaden's place. This is my chance to make up for everything that I have done; that is if it is ok with Blair.”
 
Blair sat up and nodded; Jasmine was happy that she had not permanently burned a bridge with her new friend. Siarnaq took the four and placed them in a smaller circle within the symbol. Behind them he put their corresponding element. Alexis was water, Axel was Fire, Jasmine was wind, and Hasleberry was earth. Behind the appropriate person; Siarnaq placed a glass of water, a lit candle, a fan that was plugged in and turned on, and a jar of dirt and rocks.
 
Siarnaq came to a stop outside the circle, and told everyone else to stand back. He placed his hands together as if he was about to pray to the heavens, and with his deep voice he began the incantation. “Let the Soul Bonding begin; and let this poor soul find the support it needs. Let this poor soul be linked for all eternity; with this soul that truly wishes it to be so.”
 
Words came from Siarnaq that were completely alien to those not involved in the ceremony. The symbol began to change color; slowly it brightened into a bright blue. The candle burned a way, and Axel was eclipsed in a red flame. The water amount of water increased exponentially, and soon Alexis was submerged in water that began to glow blue. The fan burst apart, and Jasmine was surrounded by glowing green torrent of wind that whipped her hair from side to side. And last was the earth that formed a giant glowing brown spire behind Hasleberry.
 
The incantation continued for minutes; slowly electricity started to spark from the circle. Energy built up in the seal; the color of the circle changed in to four portions. The circle was divided into a red, blue, green, and brown section. Siarnaq stopped his chanting and turned around; “now we will need to hope that this works. Brett is still dieing in there, but there is really nothing we can do; at this point it is a waiting game to see if the bond can form fast enough.”
 
Mindy, Chazz, Mrs. Fontaine, and Misora all watched for the next hour. Time was nearly up, but Siarnaq had faith; he sat there meditating the whole hour. “Siarnaq; how long can this take?” Mrs. Fontaine asked, and Siarnaq opened his eyes slowly, while he spoke. “This can take many hours; it is all really dependant on a lot of things. How in equal the elements are, how strong their bonds are, and how well I did the ceremony. This is from an ancient race that is extinct; so I can only hope I have done it correctly.”
 
“What is the fastest time you have ever seen anyone complete one of these?” Chazz asked while dreading the answer, while Siarnaq closed his eyes again. “The fastest I have ever seen was ten hours. The bond between the two was weak, but they said it usually takes two hours with an incredible bond. This will be close; I just hope I'm not overestimating here.”
 
“What will happen if Brett dies before ceremony is complete?” asked Mindy with a very concerned voice. Siarnaq got up out of his meditative state and fully turned to the others; “I have seen many failures of this procedure. Every time; there was a chance that people inside would die, but that was when the people did not care for the person who needed it. That is not the case here, and you all just need to have a little more faith.”
 
The four elements suddenly merged; the entire room shook and even Siarnaq was forced back. The air erupted with winds that were consistently getting faster. A dark veil fell over the portal; encasing the force in a dark dome. Inside the four colors had combined into a single bright light. “This is beyond belief; this should not be this strong!” Siarnaq shouted to the group.
 
The symbol stared to shrink towards the center; the center was directly bellow Blair's and Brett's overlapped hand. It passed through each of the four supporting people; taking their element with it, and causing them to collapse to the ground. The circle was erupting with massive force; Siarnaq was even finding it hard to contain such an amazing force. The power of the bond was amazing, and dwarfed many things Siarnaq had imagined possible from such a young Exia.
 
The circle shrunk till it was only around Blair and Brett; it traveled up off the ground till it was passing through the middle of their bodies. The circle shrunk till it was able to fit in both of their hands. Massive bolts of energy struck the dark dome, and then the symbol disappeared, and things inside the dome returned to normal.
 
The dome of darkness shattered; Siarnaq looked on with relief at what had been accomplished. “It is done; they will all be fine and he has all of you to thank.” Siarnaq went back and sat down; the energy used to contain it all the power of the bond was more then he expected, and that had left him weak.
 
Mrs. Fontaine was first to run over and check Brett and Blair; they were both fine. Brett's color was returning fast; she breathed a sigh of relief. Jasmine, Hasleberry, Alexis, and Axel started to get up; most had a migraine from the procedure that was pulsing in their heads. Chazz and Mindy both ran over to help who they cared about most; the migraines quickly faded. Alexis was being comforted by Chazz while Mindy was at Jasmine's side, and the other two were by them selves.
 
In a matter of minutes they were fine; they all rushed to Blair and Brett's side. Brett was completely normal, and his body was completely healed and looking like a normal person should. Everyone could not help but smile at their success and the accomplishment. Alexis had one last thing she had to ask; “when will they wake up?”
 
Siarnaq was starring directly at them; he was a little unsure, but it was a little irrelevant. “It depends, but chances are they will be up in an hour tops. I have seen people go entire years in the comas these things can create. I doubt that they could cut it down more then an hour; especially considering how long it took to form the bond…” Siarnaq stopped when he heard hacking and coughing coming from Blair and Brett at the same time.
 
Slowly Blair got up like nothing had happened; she looked at her hand, but there was no mark. “There are no marks that will be on either of you; it is just for the ceremony. Even I'm amazed that you recovered so fast, but Brett will not have the same luxury. Make sure that he gets lots of rest, and does not to anything to strenuous for about a day. He needs some down time for his strength to return, but considering Brett, he will probably not be held back for so long…”
 
Everyone laughed, and then Brett coughed and gasped. Blair put her hand to his head; he settled down and stopped coughing. She felt like she really had helped him; then Brett opened his eyes. “Blair… What happened…?” Everyone else heard Brett's weak voice and rushed over to him. “Why are you all here? I don't remember what happened…”
 
His friends could only smile at his questions; they were so glad to see him alive and well again. Everything about him had returned to normal; all of the color was back, and his hair was back to normal as well. “Just relax Brett; I promise I will take care of you till you are feeling better; I'm just glad you are alright” Brett was confused; his entire memory of the events of today was not there, but he was happy to see Blair's smiling face again.
 
Brett was so incredibly tired; his body was weak, and everything felt weird. His head moved around; he looked over to see Siarnaq. He tried to open his mouth, but he did not have the strength. He struggled to stay up and Blair leaned over and kissed him on the lips. She whispered to him to just rest; her voice was so soothing to him, that he slowly laid down and fell right to sleep.
 
“Blair I have a favor to ask you; get him out of here, and take good care of him. There are only six Exia left in existence, and I do not want any more of the Exia to die…” Blair was confused about what he had called Brett. “I will; I promise that I will keep him safe and with me forever, but I thought he was a Weapon.” Siarnaq shook his head before replying to the young maiden. “No he was never a Weapon; he is part of a very amazing race known as the Exia. I know I can, so I entrust his fate to you.”
 
“I don't think you have to tell Blair to do that; we will all take good care of him…” Axel said with a smile; Siarnaq new what he was part of, but it was irrelevant at this point. “Amazing that he has found such a caring family; I now know why he fights so hard. I have one last favor to ask; where I'm going I cannot have anyone with me. I walk by my self; I cannot bring anyone with me. So I ask of you to take care of Misora for me...”
 
Mrs. Fontaine stepped up; she was so grateful that this small request of Siarnaq's was a mere pittance. “I promise we will find a place for her; it is such a small thing to ask. Is there nothing we can do for you?” Siarnaq shook his head and disappeared into a portal; Misora stood up and tried to run over to stop him, but was far too late. “Thank you Siarnaq; for giving me back my life.”
 
Mrs. Fontaine escorted Misora out of the room; she was going to take their new guest to see the Chancellor. The Chancellor had been informed about Brett's condition regularly, but she needed to let him about this. She knew that the Chancellor would not refuse such a humble request. The Chancellor had been keeping Pegasus up to date on the status of his son; despite how busy he was, he still needed to know.
 
“Well you heard the man Blair; guess Brett is going to be a permanent resident with you. Guess we better get him back to your dorm…” Blair agreed to Axel's statement with enthusiasm. Their friend was safe and healthy; although tired and worn completely out. Axel got Brett up onto his back; and carried him all the way back to Blair's room so he could get some rest. Blair stayed beside him the whole time; holding the person's hand, which she would spend forever with and was glad too…