Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ Life in the Pro League, or Lack Thereof! ❯ The Noodle Bar ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]


Disclaimer: I don’t own Yu Gi Oh. This is getting so boring...maybe I should stop putting them in for a few chapters.



...Only to see a person behind the checkout counter who was the LAST person Ryo expected to be working behind a counter.

“MANJOUME?” Sho abruptly blurted out.

Manjoume muttered a string of words, the only audible word being “san”. They could pretty much figure out what he meant.

Now Ryo was getting curious.

“Since when does the great Manjoume work at a checkout counter?” He said in an amused tone. Well, as amused as his tone could get.

Manjoume glanced around to make sure no one was listening, then said, “You think I had a choice? You know my brothers don’t want to see my face ever again. It was this or begging on the streets!”

Sho choked back what sounded suspiciously like a laugh. Ryo couldn’t blame him. The image of Manjoume begging was hysterical!

For a minute, Manjoume looked like he wanted to leap over the counter and strangle Sho. But then the manager of the store looked over their way.

Manjoume said in a loud voice, “Thank you for shopping at our store. Come back soon!”

Ryo and Sho had no choice but to find another card store.



It took three other card stores before Ryo and Sho were tired of augmenting their decks. Although Ryo didn’t admit it, he had found some cards that would be useful.

They were about to stop for lunch when Sho spotted a store that exclusively sold American products. Of course, Sho had to visit this place.

The first thing he did was buy four boxes of his favorite sugar...er, cereal. It was only after much arguing that Sho sadly put two of the boxes back.

After that, Sho went to look at magazines while Ryo looked for another English crossword puzzle book. His old one was almost used up, and this would be the last opportunity in a long time to get a new one.
There was no pure crossword puzzle book, but there was a book that had a variety of puzzles, including some crossword puzzles. Ryo was picking that one up when he heard an excited cry from Sho.

“Nii-san! Come look! They have your magazine!”

It was times like these when Ryo wished he had a flamethrower and a portable fireplace. Sho was still babbling excitedly, so Ryo had to walk over and look.

Thankfully, the picture on the cover was one where he had his shirt on. Sho wanted to know what the English text next to the picture said.

Ryo studied the words before saying, “I think it says something like, ‘meet the most popular guy in Japan’. Well, I don’t see how that’s a good thing, but Americans are weird that way.”

“I’m going to buy this and show Mom!” Sho said enthusiastically.

“Sho?”

“Yes?”
“You do that and I will hold you down while Tetsusaiga licks your face.”

Apparently, that was a good enough threat, because Sho put the magazine back. He chose some comic books instead.

After a short stop at the candy counter, they bought their stuff and left.



When they walked out, Ryo thought at first that the sun was in his eyes.

Then he realized something. The sun was not prone to making clicking noises.

“Are those...cameras?” Sho asked, stating what was now obvious.

“They are. They won’t leave us alone until we acknowledge their presence, so pose a bit while backing away slowly. There’s a place where we can go that’s made just for occasions like this.”

“But we’re wearing those disguises! You said it was so people wouldn’t notice us.”
“Actually, Sho, that only works for regular people. The paparazzi can see through any disguise. Remember that. Okay, now let’s run.”

And so they did.



They finally stopped in front of a small restaurant. It was a completely unremarkable-looking building. The only unique thing about it was a large poster of a smiling cartoon bowl of noodles that hung from the wall.

Sho looked confused. “Why are we stopping here? It’s just a cheap noodle bar.”

Ryo replied, “Looks can be deceiving. I’ll explain when we get inside.”

The inside looked just as dull as the outside at first, but then a guard walked up to them and bowed.

“Can I please see your card?” he asked. Ryo produced something that looked a lot like a credit card.

The guard checked this card with a handheld scanner, then gestured for Ryo and Sho to find a table.

“So nii-san, what is this place?” Sho asked when they sat down.

“Well Sho, it was built just for famous people who want to escape all the press for a while. No media people are allowed within several meters of this place. And like you saw, ID is required to get in. The workers here are sworn to confidentiality, so we can talk about anything and not get in the tabloids.”

“Ah”, said Sho. Really, there was nothing more to be said.

“What is more”, Ryo went on, “They make excellent soba noodles here. That’s a nice bonus.”

The rest of the meal was uneventful, except for Sho’s constant pointing out of A-list celebrities. And not all of them were Japanese.

“Ryo, look! In the corner! It’s...”

“Yes, I see him. He’s been here before. He must be in Japan to promote his latest movie.”

Sho started to walked over and ask for an autograph, but hurried back when Ryo glared at him.
Their food came right then, so they didn’t talk for a long time.


A/N: There! I finally used the idea that someone on the Janime forums suggested!

I did have a specific actor in mind for that last part, but I don’t want to mention any names and risk hints of RPF. Suffice to say that I despise this actor with a fiery, burning passion! And I’m not the only one, either.