Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ The New Hero: Gladiator's Assault ❯ Beginning: Enter Lucas Forester ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I don't own GX, and I'm finally almost released from the death grip of my previous fic.



Chapter 1.: Beginning: Enter Lucas Forester!


"Hmmm...Duel Academy. My ticket out of this hell hole." A boy was looking over a pamphlet he'd gotten in the mail. It had a picture of a giant building surrounded by a lush jungle. "Says here that they will be holding some exams this Saturday, obviously for entrance to this place." Another kid said. "Guess we should go try out for this place then." The other kid said. "Yeah, it could be worth a couple of laughs." The first kid said as he stuck the pamphlet into his pocket.

The next day the same guy who decided to take the entrance exams was getting onto a bus, he was headed for the David L. Lawrence Convention Center to take the admission exams to go to the prestigious Duel Academy. He looked out the window with new eyes. "It's gonna be a great day." He said to himself. He began to look at his cards, they were the famed Gladial Beasts that he'd won a couple of local tournaments with. He had a box on his lap, it was large and had the letters KC written on top. 'I hope this was made to the exact specifications I ordered.' He thought as he held the box up. After he thought this a voice came over the P.A. "David L. Lawrence Convention Center." Were the only words that came out of the speaker. The boy put his deck into his pocket and darted off of the bus with the box under his arm.

'This sucks, I was the only duelist on that bus, oh well.' He thought. He then walked toward the front door of the Convention Center. He was greeted by two guys in dark blue blazers. "Are you the only student from that bus?" One of them asked. He had jet black hair and he wore dark sun glasses. "Yes, sir. I suppose you'll want me to register here huh?" The boy with the box asked. "That's not required here, but if you'd like you could get a leg up by signing this sheet here." The other boy who said as he held a tablet up to the younger boy. He took it and signed it like he was signing up for a torunament. "Thank you very much...Lucas Forester." The boy with the sun glasses said as he directed Lucas to the exam room. "That whole signing thing seemed pretty pointless to me." A black, almost blue haired girl was saying to another girl as Lucas approached them. "I'll say, and those guys seemed kind of creepy to me." The other girl said. "They seemed pretty normal to me." Lucas said all of a sudden. "That's because you have y-chromasomes." The black haired girl said. "Oh..." Lucas said as he rubbed the back of his head. "Yeah oh..." The other girl, who was blonde, said.

Lucas separated himself from the group and opened the box with his trusty pen knife. When he pulled the contents out he began to over flow with excitement. "Yes! My custom duel disk is exactly the way I ordered it!" He cheered as he slipped it onto his left wrist. The duel disk itself was shaped like the shields used by Roman gladiators from back in the day. It was black and had whte designs over it, fire hardened wood colored, with the coat of arms of the current ruler. Of course it was much smaller then the actual shields. The bottom left corner was cut into to hold the deck. The middle contained a blue sphere to keep track of his life points. "Pretty sweet duel disk Lucas." A kid said from behind him. "Josh, I thought you were still grounded from the whole cherry bomb incident." Lucas said. "Yeah well, my parents wanted me to do something with myself so I came here. Have you taken the exams yet?" Josh asked. "No, but they're getting started right now, gotta go see ya!" Lucas said as he walked through the doors and picked up his copy of the written exam.

'Ok, question one...are you kidding me!' He thought to himself as he read through the questions. He filled in the questions he knew, then he began to randomly fill in the bubbles of the ones he didn't know. He looked up in time to see a man in a red coat staring sown at him. "Test please." He said as he held out his hand. Lucas gave him his test which was added to a stack of other tests. After a short half an hour of talking with other duelists a teacher stood before the group as other teachers went down the aisles and handed numbers to certain students, Lucas was one of them. "For those of you who were smart enough to pass the written portion, you have been given a number. When your number is called you are to report to whichever room is listed on your slip of paper. For those of you who didn't, better luck next time." The teacher who'd taken Lucas' test finished as he sat down again. Lucas looked at his slip of paper, it had the number 2 then R.2. "Must mean I'm second in exam room two." He said to himself. He waited for ten minutes for his number to be called, when it was he got up quietly, shuffled his deck, and put it into the duel disk.

"Hmm...so you're Lucas Forester, you got pretty lucky, getting a seventy-five percent on the exact same exam that we gave to our seniors last year for the final." A man in a long yellow cloak said as his duel disk activated. "I got that much? I only knew about a fourth of those questions, I just sort of guessed on the rest." Lucas said as his own disk activated.

"I'll start off this duel with one monster face down, and three cards face down, and end my turn." Lucas said. "Well that monster won't be there for long because I summon my Burning Beast (1500/1000), and he'll attack your face down monster!" The teacher yelled. A giant, molten, four legged cyclops emerged from a card and shot fire at the face down card. "Ha! You've attacked my Gladial Beast Hoplomus. (700/2100)" A giant humanoid rhino appeared from underneath the card, it had octagonal panels surrounding it which formed a shield to deflect the attack back at it's user. (Teacher's LP 3400)

"Hmm...well at least I know what your monster you have. Hold on where'd it go!?" The teacher yelled. "When a Gladial Beast battles I can return it to my deck so he can summon some back up from my deck." Lucas said as he searched his deck. "What monster are you going to choose?" The teacher asked. "The only one that I believe can take anything you can dish out." Lucas said as he selected his monster. "I summon Gladial Beast Laquer (1800/400) in attack mode. And since he was special summoned by the effect of another Gladial Beast he gets an additional threehundred attack points." A giant armored, humanoid tiger appeared. It like all of the Gladial Beasts had the appearence of an animal that could stand on two legs and wore gladiator armor. "I have nothing to do so I place two cards face down and end my turn." The teacher said. Lucas drew a card and chuckled. "Now I can fully unleash the power of my deck, so I play the field spell Dungeon of The Gladial Beasts-Colosseum." A giant colosseum surrounded the two duelists, but to the teacher's surprise, nothing happened. "Your dungeon didn't do anything!" He yelled. "You just wait and see. Next I set one monster face down, Laquer attack the Burning Beast now! Blazing Claw Driver!" The tiger sprang across the field at the molten monster. It brought the Burning Beast down and bit into it's neck. The opposing beast exploded instantly. (Teacher's LP 3100)

"You've triggered my trap card, Molten Magma! When a Fire attribute monster gets destroyed in battle I can summon two monsters with the same attribute as it from my deck, and I choose two more Burning Beasts." The teacher said as two more of the same monster appeared before him. "Ok, next I activate Field Barrier to protect my Colosseum from any kind of destruction. I end my turn for now." Lucas said with confidence. "That confidence is wasted when I'm going to beat you this turn. I play Blaze Accelerator, then I sacrifice it for my Tri-Blaze Accelerator, which I sacrifice for my Volcanic Doomfire!" The teacher said as a giant molten skinned monster towered over the field. "Too bad he'll have to go bye-bye for now, cause I activate Compulsory Evacuation Device to send Doomfire back to your hand." Lucas said as he pressed a button on his duel disk to activate his trap. Doomfire dissolved and returned to it's owners hand. "It doesn't matter, because I'm attacking your face down card with one of my beasts any way." The teacher said as one of the Burning Beasts shot a fire ball at the face down monster. A giant brown orb appeared and then vanished instantly. "Did you think I put only Gladial Beasts in this deck? I put in cards that could be special summoned from my deck in here so I can use my Colosseum to it's fullest." Lucas said as the teacher lost 500 more Life Points. (Teacher's LP 2600)

"Now I get two more Giant Germs from my deck, and my colosseum gets two counters." As Lucas said this trees began to grow in the colosseum, and a blue aura formed around Laquer. Laquer's attack points were now 2000. "Ok Laquer, attack one of those Burning Beasts now!" Lucas commanded. "Not so fast, I activate my quick play spell Glacial Movement. Now I can select one Freezing Beast from my deck and equip it to the Burning Beast that your tiger is attacking." The teacher said as a blue beast combined with the red beast. When Laquer came in contact with the combined beast only half of it disappeared. "Why didn't it get destroyed?" Lucas asked. "Simple, when a unionized monster would be destroyed only the one that is used for the equipment is destroyed, along with Laquer." The teacher said. "Not easily, I activate Choose Your Weapon! It lets me take one equip card from my deck and activate it, and I choose Armaments of the Gladial Beasts-Manica. With this my Laquer stays safe after any battle." Said Lucas. "A lot of good that does you if you are just gonna send it back to your deck." The teacher said nonchalently. "Well, that would be the case if it weren't for the second effect of any armament of the Gladial Beast. When a Gladial Beast returns to my deck, the armament comes back to my hand." Lucas said as he withdrew his tiger-like monster. "By the effect of the Gladial Withdrawl I special summon Gladial Beast Hoplomus (700/2100) in defense mode, and if he's special summoned by returning a Gladial Beast to my deck he gets an extra three hundred defense points right along with another counter and another three hundred from my colosseum. Bringing him up to a cool twenty-seven hundred." Lucas said with a smirk.

The teacher just shrugged off the reality of facing a 2700 defensive wall. "I set two cards face down and end my turn." Lucas said. As the teacher drew his card Lucas activated his traps. "Go, Bad Reaction to Simochi, and Gift Card. With Gift Card you would be getting three thousand life points, but with Bad Reaction you take three thousand points damage." Lucas said as a blue sparkling aura surrounded his teacher. The aura quickly changed red and drained his teacher's life points dropping it to zero. A giant LCD screen was lit up above the room, and it displayed the final life point scores. (Lucas' LP 4000) (Teacher's LP 0) "Congratulations Lucas, you've more then qualified for admittance to the academy, I'm Professor Dosu. I look forward to seeing you in my dorm in a couple of weeks." Prof. Dosu said as he and Lucas shook hands. An eruption of cheers rose from behind the wall. "Oh, and I hope you don't mind, but we sort of broadcast this duel to all of the people who cared to watch." Prof. Dosu said. "It's not a problem with me." Lucas said as he opened the door to leave the area.

"So you're Lucas Forester, the guy who won all of those tournaments with those Gladial Beast cards." An older student with dark brown hair, steel grey eyes, and a yellow blazer said as he approached the younger duelist. "Yeah what of it?" Lucas said as he and the older student began to walk toward the front of the exam area to the teachers table. "You did extrordinary on the written portion, tell me how could a boy of your age know answers to a test that was given to seniors as finals for the previous year?" The older boy asked. "I guessed." Lucas said simply. "That's impossible, you've had to have had some sort of help." The other student said in disbelief. "Well it happened." Lucas said before turning to the teachers. "I believe you'll need these." A female teacher in a blue jacket said as she handed Lucas a dry cleaning bag that contained a black pair of pants, a green shirt and a yellow blazer. "Thank you, when will we be departing for the academy?" Lucas asked. "Well we've already contacted your parents, you along with all of the qualifiers from todays exam will be taking a jet to California today. Then from there you will take the private jet to academy island. If you need to we'll provide a transport for you to go home and pack any other things you'll need at the island." The teacher said. "Ok thank you. As for you, I guessed all of those answers, almost. Leave me alone." Lucas said as he started toward the door. "I'll make you admit you've cheated on that test, and I'll make sure you leave the academy out of your own shame." The older student pledged. Lucas just shrugged and summoned the monorail to take him home so he could get his things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that day, Lucas was at the convention center making the final preparations to leave. "Oh man, I've got to wear this?" He said to himself as he looked at his jacket with relative disliking. He began to look through his luggage, looking for a certain article of clothing that would work with the yellow jacket he'd been given just an hour earlier. "Ha! Found it!" He chuckled to himself as he picked up a black cape that he frequently wore to stay warm. He also picked up his gladiator helm that he wore only when he didn't want to be talked to. He fastened the cape to his coat and stored the helmet away for use when he was on the plane. While he was putting away his things he over heard some teachers talking. "There seems to be a problem." A man in a brick red suit was talking to a younger woman in a yellow jacket and mini skirt. "What is it, sir?" She asked. "There seems to be an overpopulation in the boys dorm." The man replied. "What are we going to do about it? We can't cut students that have already been enrolled and accepted." The woman asked again as she adjusted her jacket uncomfortably. "Well what would you suggest?" The man asked. "Well, we could relocate some of the boys over to the girls dorm." The woman said. Lucas began to cough uncontrolably. While he did so he snuck the words "Bad idea." into the fit of coughs. He suddenly quit coughing in time to see the two teachers walking away. "So how are we gonna decide what students get relocated?" Lucas heard the woman say before the footsteps faded. "Actually we only need to relocate one student, we'll determine it through a draw." The man replied with a chuckle. 'I'd hate to be the poor sap who gets stuck in a dorm full of girls.' Lucas thought. "Five minutes until departure for the Pittsburgh Airport. Will all people leaving for California please report to the shuttle stop immediately." A voice came ove the P.A. system to announce the departure time.

Lucas joined a bunch of kids who appeared to be his age at the platform to catch the shuttle. A white short bus pulled up to the platform. Lucas picked up his suitcases and borded with the others who remained quiet even as it neared the airport. When the group of students reached the airport they borded the plane without a word. The plane itself was an ordinary plane as it wasn't the one that they would be taking to Duel Academy. Lucas just sat down in some random seat and put his carry on luggage into the compartment above his head. "Excuse me, can I stay here, the isn't any room anywhere else." Lucas turned around to see a young blonde haired girl in a Slifer uniform looking at him, Lucas couldn't see her eyes through the dark sunglasses she was wearing. "Yeah, sure." He replied. "Thanks." The girl said as she put her own luggage right next to Lucas' in the overhead compartment. "So, what's your name?" The girl asked as she extended her hand out to Lucas. "Name's Lucas Forester. How 'bout you?" He said as he shook her hand. "Name's Melanee Valkner." She said as she let go of Lucas' hand and opened a book that she had in her pocket. Lucas pulled out a small silver box that he'd taken out of his luggage and began to look at his cards. He wanted to have at least two decks at the academy, and his Gladial Beasts may not cut it against some of the other decks that some copy-catting kids would use, the ones that emulated decks that won regional tournaments. Simply put, Monarch decks.

"Hmm...Looks like we'll be sleeping on this here plane." Lucas said. Melanee froze up and began to grip the chair in fear. "Are you okay?" He asked, becoming concerned that his new friend was spazzing out over sleeping on a plane. "What if the plane suddenly goes off course and it turns out the people that are piloting this plane are kidnappers who are gonna take us to some island and demand some kind of ransom, or worse...." Melanee began to hyperventilate. "Ok calm down, breathe, nothing's gonna happen to you while I'm here. I'll take anything that could possibly try to harm you ok?" Lucas was doing all he could to calm this girl down. "You know if you're gonna hit on someone then you might want to try a more direct approach." Melanee said in the kind of tone that suggested that she would hurt him if he said anything else. "No, it's not like that, I'm just trying to calm you down. Don't take it that way." Lucas said as he raised his arms slightly, ready to protect himself at a given moments notice. "Oh...Ok! Thanks Lucas. You're a great friend." Melanee said as she wrapped her arms around him. "We could do without the hugging, just a 'thanks Lucas' will do." Lucas said as Melanee let go of him. "Oh, ok..." Melanee said with a depressed look on her face. "How about we get you some prozac and, go to sleep." Lucas said with a cheery smile. Melanee giggled a little bit in return, but got a pillow from he luggage, tilted her chair back and went to sleep. 'Hmmm...Now what to add to this new deck.' Lucas thought as he searched through his cards. Eventually he settled down and got some sleep.

When they got off at the other airport near the coast of California, they were almost immediately transferred to the ritsy private jet that was to be the final transport to the academy. "This way little kids, we've got to get on the special Kaiba Corp. jet they've arranged for us." The weird black haired kid that had Lucas sign that paper was herding the newest students to the jet. Some really cocky kids who were in Slifer Red started to bleet like sheep. "Baahhhhh!" THe kids began little by little. "Hey! you Slifer slackers wanaa shut up so we can board painlessly." The Obelisk Blue kid said as he cracked his knuckles. A couple of kids stopped, but the two who had started just kept on going. Lucas began to push backwards through the crowd toward the Slifers. "Okay! You two need to shut up before I wring both your necks with your own esophogi." Lucas glared down the Slifers. They stopped immediately when they saw Lucas' eyes, they were spiraled like a hypnotic wheel. "Good, now get on the plane, and if you think I was just kidding remember: I don't make idle threats." Lucas got behind the Slifers and pushed them onto the plane. "Why did they listen to you huh newbie. Answer me!" The black haired boy whipped Lucas around to face him. Lucas glared back at him with the spiral eyes. The Obelisk let Lucas go, and boarded the plane. "How did you do that?" Melanee asked as Lucas sat down. "I bought these contacts for school, incase I needed to intimidate someone." Lucas said as he took the contacs off of his eyes. "Cool." Melanee said as she stared through the contacts as Lucas held them up to the light.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the academy everyone recieved a PDA with their names and room numbers on them. Lucas checked the signs around the island for his dorm and room number. He found it quite disturbing to see people staring at him as he made his way through the campus. When he finally did find his room he immediately began to unpack his suitcase, not paying attention to the surroundings. "Excuse me!" A voice said above his head. Since Lucas was crouched down in front of his suitcase he didn't see the person come in. When he did look up though he saw the most gorgeous pair of legs he'd ever seen. "Wrong room?" He asked as he looked down again. "No, wrong dorm." Lucas recognized the voice being female. He didn't have much time to process this as he was then picked up by his collar. "This was the room number I was assigned..." Lucas began, but then stopped as he actually looked at his room. It was decorated for girls. "You belong in the boys dorm." The girl pointed to the door. Lucas' PDA began to go off. He opened it and selected the mail option. The same man's face appeared on the screen, it looked like he was in a fierce battle, judging by the amount of scars that he noticed. "Sorry Lucas, but we had to locate some male students to the girls dorm this year, your name got drawn to be relocated. Sorry for any inconvenience." The man said as the PDA shut off. "Ya see? I am supposed to be here." Lucas said as he returned to his suitcase. "Then who's the third person?" The girl said as she pointed to the third bed. "I don't know, you live here." Lucas said as he began to unpack his clothes. "I just got here, I'm a freshman too." The girl said. "Oh...I don't know, probably another girl. They wouldn't outnumber a girl in her own dorm." Lucas said as he went to the bed by the window, and layed down. "Well, as long as we're gonna be staying here, what's your name?" The girl asked shyly. "Lucas Forester, you?" Lucas asked. "Jessica Anderson." The girl said. Lucas began to chuckle. "What's so funny?" She asked confusedly. "Isn't your father Jesse Anderson, of the Crystal Beast deck?" Lucas asked. "Yeah so? I use them now." Jessica said. "And Jesse is also short for Jessica isn't it?" Lucas said. "Yeah...oh that is funny!" Jessica said as she began to giggle. "Hey what's so funny?" An older girl asked as she entered the room. "She and her father have the same name." Lucas said as he rolled off of the bed to get his PDA to check his schedule. "That's not funny." The girl said. "It is when your father didn't know he did it!" Jessica said as she began to laugh harder. She began to brush her dark black, almost blue, hair away from her eyes. "Ok, on to business. Tomorrow I've got intro to archeological dueling at seven AM tomorrow, history of dueling at eight, gym at nine, math at ten, fusions at eleven, lunch at twelve, advanced archeological dueling at thirteen...I mean one, and the rest of the day off. Cool, so what do you guys have?" Lucas said as he dug out his spare cards again. He needed his almost finished fossil deck now. "I have Dueling Alchemy from seven to nine, Drama class from nine to ten, Fusions from ten to eleven, Theme Deck one-o-one from eleven to twelve, lunch at noon, and Defensive Decks at one, then I'm off." Jessica said. "Same as Lucas, just not in that order." The older girl said. "Well...ummm...what's your name?" Lucas asked. "Veronica Winstraight." Veronica said as she checked her PDA again. "Well Veronica, we'll probably see each other then." Lucas said before he left the room and began to explore the campus.

As he was exploring the campus he saw a Slifer who was dressed as a pirate was being chased by older Obelisks. Lucas put in his spiral contacts, which he started carrying around since he boarded the jet, and went after the pirate kid and the Obelisks. He snuck into the shadows as he watched the event through the woods. "Why do you dress like a pirate huh kid?" One of the Obelisks asked. "Cauz I feel like it...gar." The pirate was fleetingly trying to protect himself. "Ok, drop the whole pirate act." Another Obelisk said. "I don't want ter drop the pirate act, it's not an act anyways!" The pirate said again. By this time Lucas had activated his duel disk and was selecting a monster from his deck. 'Ok, I'm facing three guys who appear as if they aren't frightened easily. Better use this monster.' Lucas selected the most vicious monster out of his collection. slipped the card onto the Duel Disk. A giant T-Rex holding an axe appeared. It was the image of Gladial Beast Spartychus. "Attack!" Lucas yelled. Spartychus roared and charged at the Obelisks who jumped at the sight of the axe weilding T-Rex. Spartychus drove them off, and Lucas emerged from the shadows. "You alright there kid?" Lucas asked. "Yes I'm fine, thanks fer drivin' those Obelisks away. By the way I'm Steve." Steve said. "Name's Lucas, and no comment." Lucas said to Steve The Pirate. "Well I gotta be gettin' back ter the Slifer Dorm, there's an rientation fer the freshmen and I gotta be thar." Steve said as he turned to leave. "See ya later!" Lucas said as he too started back to his dorm.


Well you've now met the three female portagonists, the main character, and one of the male protagonists. What new challenges await our hero? A new duelist who has the power to control life itself. Check it out in: Intro to Archeological Dueling: The Theory of Evolution!

A/N: I know full well that there is a character in "Dodgeball" that is named Steve the Pirate. That is where I got the idea of Steve from. Hope you like it Bumstott!