Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction / Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy 7 - Yu-Gi-Oh Style ❯ Welcome to Domino ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Final Fantasy 7 – Yu-Gi-Oh Style
Chapter 1: Welcome to Domino

Domino City. A city split in two where those rich and powerful, lived in the lap of luxury, not to mention cleaner air. While those less fortunate were forced to live underneath the large concrete and steel plates that towered far into the sky in squalor and perpetual darkness. Very few made it up to the ‘pizza’ as the lower classes called it, for Kaiba Corp., the world’s most powerful company was very picky as to who was allowed to work for them.
No one ever disputed their policy for fear of the company’s army. Yes, army. Kaiba Corp. had spent many a gil on training of soldiers, spies and other not so nice projects. One being SOLDIER a program designed to create an army of super soldiers. So far, there had only one success. A silver haired man known only as Bakura. However, Bakura vanished several years ago and was rumored to be dead.


A train stops near one of the city’s many mako reactors, huge energy sucking machine type buildings used to power the city’s homes, businesses, and other machines. Two of Kaiba Corp.’s finest stood guard nearby the entrance. A girl and a teenaged boy get out and promptly knocked them out. Shortly afterwards, they were followed by a tall lanky teenager with a rather pointy hairstyle that somewhat resembled a garden trowel and a machine gun fused onto one arm, a shorter teen with even more outrageous hair and a strange upside down pyramid for a necklace, and a rather rotund teen. The smallest of the group looked at the guards dispassionately as his taller partner searched them for useful items.
“C'mon new guy. Follow me,” the tall teen said then ran off to join the first two members of their ragtag group.
The smaller teen then began to follow when two more guards appeared then started to fight him. Without even batting an eye, the teen quickly took care of them with one swipe of his huge buster sword. With that out of the way, he continued his way further into the reactor to rendezvous with the rest of his group.
“WOW! You used to be in Kaiba’s SOLDIER program all right! It’s not everyday you find one in a group like AVALANCHE,” the roly-poly boy said after witnessing the teen’s battle.
“SOLDIER? Aren't they the enemy? What's he doing here in AVALANCHE?” the woman asked, eyeing the tri-color haired teen suspiciously.
“Hold it Jessie. He USED TO BE in SOLDIER. He quit them and now he’s one of us.
Right, uh… Didn't catch your name...” the woman’s partner replied, defending their mysterious new member.
The teen furrowed his brow. He couldn’t remember much of his past. Even his name was wrapped in a haze within his mind. “...Yugi,” the teen answered after several moments of searching. He wasn’t used to holding conversations with others and the monotone of his voice told so.
“Yugi, eh? I'm...” the teen began holding out his hand in greeting.
“I don't care what your names are. Once this mission’s over... I'm gone,” Yugi said flatly, cutting his comrade off who looked slightly hurt at his rudeness.
Just then their pointy haired leader appeared with another man after scouting ahead. “What the heck are you doing!? I thought I told you never to move in a group! Our target's the mako reactor at the north. We'll meet on the bridge in front of it,” he ordered. Then they began to move still further into the area.
“An ex-SOLDIER, huh? I don't trust ya!” the man said to Yugi before heading after his subordinates.
Yugi looked at the mako reactor feeling slightly uneasy for an unknown reason before following his employer into it.
“Yo! This your first time in a reactor?” the tall teen asked, waiting for the other members of AVALANCHE to decipher several of the door codes.
“No. After all, I did work for Kaiba Corp., y'know,” Yugi replied in his usual monotone voice.
“The planet's full of this mako energy. People here use it everyday. It's the life blood of this planet. But Kaiba Corp. keeps suckin' the blood out with these weird machines of theirs,” his tall companion, complained, an obvious hatred of the multibillion company in his face and voice.
“I'm not here for a lecture. Let's just hurry,” Yugi muttered, anxious to get his money and leave the dark, grimy city as soon as possible.
“That's it! You're comin' with me from now on!” he said grabbing Yugi’s arm and pulling through the doors and onto an elevator when Jessie and her friends managed to decipher the security codes.
“Little by little the reactor'll drain out all the life. And that'll be that,” the tall teen said grimly as they waited for the elevator to reach its destination, deep underground.
“It's not my problem,” the tri-color haired teen said nonchalantly, leaning against the wall.
“The planet's dyin', Yugi!” his taller partner yelled.
“The only thing I care about is finishing this mission before security and the Roboguards come,” Yugi replied, unfazed by the other teen’s outuburst.
The tall teen fumed silently as they made their way past several guards and random monsters to the main reactor valve. “When we blow this place, this ain't gonna be nothin' more than a hunka junk. Yugi, you set the bomb,” he ordered.
“Shouldn't you do it?” Yugi asked. He’d been feeling strange since they entered the reactor and looked nervously around.
“Jus' do it! I gotta watch to make sure you don't pull nothin',” the taller teen said, glaring at his shorter companion.
“Fine, I’ll do it,” Yugi muttered taking the bomb and starting across the last few feet of the catwalk.
<<Watch out! This isn't just a reactor!!>> a mysterious voice shouts into the small teen’s mind, making him stumble in shock and dizziness. Yugi quickly struggled to regain his balance.
“What's wrong?” the tall teen asked, slightly concerned at the mercenary’s sudden weakness.
>>Huh?<< Yugi silently asked, but the voice didn’t return.
“What's wrong, Yugi? Hurry it up!” his employer yelled, getting nervous.
“Gomen,” he apologized and set the bomb. The timer began counting down and they started running back the way they came, only to have the catwalk blocked by one of the Roboguards Yugi had mentioned.
“Heads up, here they come!” the taller of them said, eager for a good fight.
Between the two of them, Yugi and his tall companion were able to destroy the scorpion like robot with a decent amount of time to spare.
“Come on, let's get outta here!” the smaller teen said then dashed off the catwalk, followed by the pointy haired leader.
Along the way, they ran into Jessie who had gotten her leg stuck in the floor grating during her mad dash to escape. Seeing her plight, Yugi quickly helped her free it and continued on the way out. Jessie and the others promptly activated the security codes to the doors, allowing them to get out of the reactor in time.
“That should keep the world alive... at least for a bit longer,” the roly-poly boy, who had tried to introduce himself to Yugi earlier, as Jessie set another bomb on the wall blocking the last of their escape route.
“Yeah,” the last member of AVALANCHE, agreed as he waited for the bomb to blow.
Their tall leader was strangely silent.
“OK! Now everyone get back,” Jessie warned. Then the bomb blew up the locked gate letting them to move on.
“All right, now let's get out of here. We rendezvous at Sector 8 Station! Split up and get on the train!” their leader commanded as he ran off.
“H-hey!” Yugi yelled back, not pleased he hadn’t been paid yet.
“If it's about your money, save it 'til we're back at the hideout,” the taller teen replied, then disappeared.
Sighing, Yugi moved on toward the rendezvous point, praying he’d get paid. As he entered a more populated area, he watched as panicked citizens run about like chickens with their heads cut off. He felt a small pang of guilt as he saw a couple of people bowl over a young woman carrying a small basket of flowers.
“Excuse me. What happened?” she asked after picking herself up and brushing off as much of the dirt she could off her long white dress.
“Nothing...” Yugi replied, blushing slightly at the woman’s elegant beauty. She had long black hair and sapphire blue eyes a strange gold necklace hung around her neck, a strange eye like symbol in the center of it rested just below her Adam’s apple. Set into the eye was a strange milky white crystal. “hey, listen...” he tried again, but decided not to tell her anything. He was technically still a member of AVALANCHE “Don't see many flowers around here,” he said noticing her basket.
“Oh, these? Do you like them? They're only a gil...?” she said, sweetly, thrusting the basket forward, hoping for a sale.
Yugi though for a moment, then took a red one. “Sure, I’ll buy one,” he said handing her a small gold coin.
“Oh, thank you!” she said, overjoyed to have made at least one sale that day.
Moving on, Yugi was suddenly surrounded by Kaiba Corp. soldiers. Seeing that it was either flight or fight, Yugi steeled himself and jumped onto the train moving into the tunnel he had just happened to be standing on.

Inside the train...
“Yugi never came back,” the roly-poly teen said, disappointed.
“Yugi...... Wonder if he was killed?” Jessie’s partner mused.
“No way!!” their leader exclaimed, trying his best to hide his concern.
“Yugi......” Jessie whispered, remembering how gallant he’d been while helping her free her leg.
“Say, do you think Yugi's...... Going to fight to the end for AVALANCHE?” her partner asked.
“How the heck would I know!? Do I look like a mind reader or somethin? Hmph!! If you all weren't such screw-ups...” their leader began.
“Hey, Honda-san! What about our money...?” the roly-poly boy asked, knowing too well that they didn’t have that much.
Honda slammed his fist on one of the cargo boxes they were hiding amongst.
“Uh, nothin' ...sorry.” The rotund boy knew not to press matters when Honda was in a bad mood.
Suddenly there were several noises coming from outside their car and a few moments later, Yugi appeared, his face and hair covered with soot from the train’s smokestack.
“Yugi!!”
“Yugi......”
“Yugi!!” Jessie, the rotund boy, and her partner exclaimed in relief.
“Looks like I'm a little late,” he said sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head.
“You’re darn right, you're late!! Come waltzin' in here makin' a big scene!” Honda muttered, also relieved.
“It's no big deal. Just what I always do,” Yugi replied, back to using his usual monotone.
“*bleep*! Havin' everyone worried like that you don't give a damn 'bout no one but yourself!” Honda spat, furious at Yugi’s calm demeanor.
“Hmm...... you were worried about me?!” Yugi asked, blushing slightly. He was actually stunned that they had been worrying about him, especially the taller teen who he thought didn’t trust him.
“Wha!? I'm takin' it outta your money, hot stuff!” Honda said, embarrassed and not liking it one bit. He was the leader after all and to him, it wouldn’t do to show weakness to those below him. “Wake up! We're movin' out! Follow me!” he said to his rag tag group as he left to go into the next train car.
“Hey, Yugi!! You were great back there!” the roly-poly boy said in obvious awe.
“Heh heh...... Yugi! We'll do even better next time,” Jessie’s partner said, grinning and flashing him a ‘v’ sign.
“Be careful I'll shut this,” Jessie said shutting the door. “Oh, Yugi!! Your face is pitch-black!” She then took out a handkerchief and wiped the soot off his face. “There you go!! Say, thanks for helping me back there at the reactor,” she said blushing.
He shyly nodded then followed them into the next car. Honda scared almost everyone in that car away with his fierce looks. But they were mostly frightened by the machine gun permanently attached to his arm.
“Last train out of Sector 8 Station. Last stop is Sector 7, Train Graveyard. Expected time of arrival is 12:23AM, Domino Standard Time...” the conductor stated, nervously eyeing the group before moving on to do his job.
“Hey, Yugi. You want to look at this with me?” Jessie called to the smallest male. He came over and saw that she was looking a small computer type screen. “It's a map of the Domino Rail System. Let's look at it together. I'll explain it to you, okay?” He shrugged, it wasn’t like he had anything better to do at the moment.
“I like this kinda stuff. Bombs and monitors... you know, flashy stuff, Jessie said, beaming that he’d wanted to talk with her. “Okay, it's about to start.” A picture of Domino City appeared on the screen. “This is a complete model of city of Domino. It's about 1/10000 scale. The top plate is about 50 meters above ground. A main support structure holds the plate up in the center, and there are other support structures built in each section...” The picture had changed to show what the woman was explaining.
“The No. 1 Reactor we blew up was in the northern section,” Jessie said in a hushed voice. “Then there's No. 2, No. 3 all the way up to the No. 8 reactor. The 8 reactors provide Domino with electricity. Each part of Domino used to have a name, but no one in here remembers them. Instead of names, we refer to them by numbered sectors. That's the kind of place this is. Phew...” she then paused to take a breath.
Yugi just stood in complete silence, amazed that she could know so much about the city where had trouble remembering his own name at times. “This is next!” The screen changed once again to show the railroad tracks running through Domino. “Look. This is the route this train is on,” she said, pointing to one of the tracks. “The route spirals around the main support structure. We should be coming around the center area, right now. At each checkpoint, an ID sensor device is set up. It can check the identities and background on each and every passenger on the train by linking it up to the central databank at Kaiba Corp. Headquarters.”
Jessie then leaned closer to her smaller comrade. “Anyone could tell that we look suspicious so we're using fake ID's,” she whispered into his ear. “Speak of the devil...” she said when a red light came on, casting eerie red shadows in the car. “That light means that we're in the ID Security Check area. When the lights go off, you never know what kind of creeps'll come out.”
“...anyhow, we're almost back now. That's a relief,” she said in a normal tone of voice.
Yugi then went over to sit next to Honda.
“Look... you can see the surface now. This city don't have no day or night. If that plate weren't there... we could see the sky,” the taller teen said looking out the windows.
“A floating city... Pretty creepy,” Yugi said, taking a look himself.
“Huh? Never expected ta hear that outta someone like you,” Honda said, surprised. “You’re jes' full of surprises. The upper world... a city on a plate... It's 'cause of that *bleep*ing ‘pizza’, that us people underneath are sufferin'! Down here is full of polluted air. On top of that, the reactors keep drainin' up all the energy.”
“Then why doesn't everyone move onto the plate?” Yugi asked, shocked.
“Dunno. Probably 'cause they ain't got no money,” Honda replied, shrugging, “Or, maybe... 'Cause they love their land, no matter how polluted it gets.”
“I know... no one lives in the slums because they want to. It's like this train. It can't run anywhere except where its rails take it,” Yugi said, slightly philosophically.
After the train stopped, AVALANCHE disembarked and Honda called his group over.
“Yo!! Get over here, all of ya!! This mission was a success. But don't get lazy now. The hard part's still to come! Don't any of you be scared of that explosion! 'Cause the next one's gonna be bigger than that! Meet me back at the hideout!! Move out!”
The group then splits and they head back to their secret base in Sector 7.
When Yugi reached the hideout, Honda opened fire which quickly sent all customers in the Kame Game Shop, away.
“Ok! Go on ahead,” he said moving aside for Yugi to enter.
“Papa!!” a little blonde girl in pigtails yelled, upon hearing her ‘father’s’ voice and gunshots.
“Rebecca! Aren't you going to say anything to Yugi?” a blonde woman with very appealing ‘assets’ behind the counter scolded. Rebecca just shyly waved hello. Shrugging, the woman smiled at the newest member of AVALANCHE. “Welcome back, Yugi. Looks like everything okay. Did you argue with Honda?”
“Yeah.”
“I should have known. He's always pushing people around, and you've always been in fights ever since you were little. I was worried,” she said, deeply concerned for her childhood friend.
“A flower? How nice... You almost never see them here in the slums. Is that for me?” she said noticing that the small teen was carrying a red flower. She then quickly snatched it and put it into a glass of water. “Oh Yugi, you shouldn't have...” She then promptly pecked him on the cheek.
“No big thing,” Yugi said blushing.
“Thank you, Yugi. It smells wonderful. Maybe I should fill the shop with flowers,” she said playfully as she noticed the pink color of his face.
“Papa, welcome home!” Rebecca said as Honda entered the bar.
“You all right, Honda-kun?” the woman asked noticing the deep frown on her friend’s face.
“Great!!” he said, trying not stare at the woman’s ‘assets’ “Yo! Get in here, fools!! We're startin' the meetin'!!” he yelled out the door and the rest of AVALANCHE piled in then descended into the hidden basement using the pinball machine elevator.
“Yo, Yugi! There's somethin' I wanna ask ya. Was there anyone from SOLDIER fighting us today?” Honda asked, desperate to know where the teen’s loyalties lay.
“None. I'm positive,” Yugi replied.
“You sound pretty sure,” Honda said, still not satisfied.
“If there was anyone from SOLDIER you wouldn't be standing here now.” That seemed to please the brown haired teen for he relaxed a bit.
“Don't go thinkin' you’re so badass jus’ ‘cause you were in SOLDIER,” said Honda.
Jessie’s partner, whose name, Yugi finally learned, was Biggs, then began to attempt to smack Honda on the head for his smart aleck remark.
“Yeah, you're strong. Probably all them guys in SOLDIER are. But don't forget that your skinny ass's workin' for AVALANCHE now! Don't get no ideas about hangin' with Kaiba Corp.,” Honda said after escaping from Biggs.
“Staying with Kaiba Corp.? You asked me a question and I answered it... that's all. I'm going upstairs. I want to talk about my money,” Yugi wasn’t too sure if he liked this teen, but he was only a mercenary and mercs weren’t supposed to like anyone or anything, just money.
He was about to go back up the elevator when the blonde woman came down.
“Wait, Yugi!” she said as he attempted to get on.
“Mai! Let him go! Looks like he still misses Kaiba Corp!” Honda spat angrily.
“Shut up! I don't care about either Kaiba Corp. or SOLDIER! But don't get me wrong! I don't care about AVALANCHE or the planet for that matter!” Yugi spat back.
Honda got po’d and began punching a punching bag he used to train with in rage. As Yugi went up to the elevator to the main floor, Mai followed him, determined to talk some sense into her friend.
“Listen, Yugi. I'm asking you. Please join us,” she begged.
“Sorry, Mai...” he replied, equally determined to just get his money and split.
“The planet is dying. Slowly but surely it's dying. Someone has to do something about this,” she pleaded.
“So let Honda and his buddies do something about it. It's got nothing to do with me,” he said, taking a sip of his beer.
“So! You're really leaving!? You're just going to walk right out ignoring your childhood friend!?” Mai was furious. She hadn’t seen Yugi in years and this is how he was going to treat her?!
“What......?” Yugi asked, shocked at the woman’s outburst “…Gomen.”
“......You forgot the promise, too,” she added, sadly.
“Promise?” Yugi asked, confused.
“You DID forget! Can’t you remember? Yugi. It was only seven years ago.”

Flashback
“Sorry I'm late. You said you wanted to talk about something?” chibi Mai asked as she sat down next to her friend and next door neighbor.”
“When spring comes... I'm leaving this town for Domino,” chibi Yugi said.
“...All the teenagers are leaving our town,” chibi Mai said, looking down.
“But I'm different from all of them. I'm not just going to find a job. I want to join SOLDIER. I'm going to be the best there is, just like Bakura!” Yugi said, his young chest filling with pride and excitement.
“Bakura... The Great Bakura. Isn't it hard to join SOLDIER?” chibi Mai asked, staring at the tri-color haired boy before disappearing.
“I probably won't be able to come back to this town for a while. ...huh?”
“Will you be in the newspapers if you do well?” chibi Mai asked coming from around the well.
“I'll try,” replied chibi Yugi.
“Hey, why don't we make a promise? Umm, if you get really famous and I'm ever in a bind...... You came save me, all right?”
“What?” chibi Yugi asked blushing.
“Whenever I'm in trouble, my hero will come and rescue me. I want to at least experience that once,” chibi Mai said, blushing as well.
“What?”
“Come on--! Promise me----!” she pleaded.
“All right...... I promise,” chibi Yugi said, shrugging.

End flashback


“You remember now, don't you... our promise?” Mai asked.
“I'm not a hero and I'm not famous. I can't keep...... the promise,” Yugi replied sadly.
“But you got your childhood dream, didn't you? You joined SOLDIER. So come on! You've got to keep your promise.....” Mai chided.
Before Yugi could say anything else, Honda came up from the basement.
“Wait a sec mister big-time SOLDIER! A promise is a promise! Here!!” The taller teen tossed Yugi a bag with at least fifteen hundred gil inside.
“This is my pay? Don't make me laugh,” Yugi said, frowning.
“What? Then you'll...!!” Mai asked, not sure if Yugi had changed his mind about staying or not.
“You got the next mission lined up? I'll do it for 3000,” Yugi asked, pleasing Mai immensely and shocking Honda.
“What......!?” Honda shouted, not liking the price the smaller teen had named.
“It's ok, it's ok,” Mai said then whispered into Honda’s ear. “We're really hurting for help, right?”
“Uh......ugh...... That money's for Rebecca's schoolin'......” he whispered back. “2000! Final offer!” he said to Yugi.
“Thanks, Yugi,” Mai said, giving the teen another peck on the cheek.


Tsuzuku (TBC)


Sakura: Whoohoo!! I actually got the first chappie done sooner than I thought!

Yami: Dear Ra!! She’s actually going through with this gods forsaken thing!!

Sakura: I’d watch your mouth if I were you, Pharaoh.

Bakura: At least I got the best part!!! Bwahahahahahaha!!

Yami: Rub it in why don’t you! ;_; I’m barely in this thing.

Seto: So what you’re the one of the lucky ones. She gave me a big part here.

Jou: Yeah Yami, at least you’re still a human. I gotta play a dog!! ;_;

Sakura & Seto: But you’re perfect for that part!

Jou: Grr.

Sakura: See what I mean?

Otogi: You could be playing a stuffed animal. ;_;

Sakura: Hey!! Stop giving it away!!! Anyhoo, drop me a line and tell me whatcha think minna-san, ‘k?