Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction / Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy 7 - Yu-Gi-Oh Style ❯ We Meet Again ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Final Fantasy 7 – Yu-Gi-Oh Style
Chapter 2: We Meet Again

The next day, Yugi woke up and went back up to the shop to see Honda and the others there waiting for him. “Our next target's the reactor in Sector 5. Head for the train station first. I'll fill you in once everybody’s on the train. Yo! Yugi! Before the next mission, I got somethin' I wanna ask you!” the tall brunet fidgeted slightly. “I, uh, ......I don't really know how to use materia! I'll give you that materia you found at that last reactor. Just teach me how to use it!”
Yugi sighed. He really didn’t feel like explaining a rather complex magic system, but seeing that Honda wouldn’t let him leave until he did. After a few minutes, the taller teen was no more knowledgeable than before. Though he did seem to grab the basics.
“Damn! What's this? It wasn't that tough! 'Crap! I'm clueless... Well, you handle the materia then!”
“I'm going with you this time. Yugi! I got a message from the Weapons Shop man across the street. He has something he wants to give you. Don't forget! Rebecca, you watch the store while we're gone!” Mai said grabbing a thick leather glove with metal studs set into the knuckles and putting it on.
“All right!! Good luck, Ms. Mai!” the little girl said as she climbed onto the stool behind the counter.
Yugi, Honda, and Mai headed to the train station after picking up some new and better weapons and supplies. Inside the train, they met up with Jessie, Biggs, and their rotund friend. Honda cleared the car with his usual fierce glares, causing the conductor to grumble and complain about how he hated his job.
“Honda!!” Mai chided, sighing.
“*bleep* You’re lucky I don’t have time to mess with Kaiba Corp. scum like you!” Honda said, sitting down.
“So, what are we gonna do now?” Yugi asked also taking a seat.
“*bleep*! What the heck are you so calm about?” Honda complained. “You’re messing up my style...”
Just then, the train began on its route.
“Seems like they just finished connecting the cars. We're finally leaving,” Mai said sitting next to Yugi.
“So what's our next target like?”
“Hah! Listen to Mr. Get-to-the-Point!” Honda grumbled. “Alright... I'll tell ya! Jessie's probably already told you about this, but there's a security checkpoint at the top plate. It's an ID scan system checkin' all the trains.”
“Which Kaiba Corp. is very proud of,” Mai added, scowling.
“We can't use our fake ID's anymore because the system would have probably figured they’re fake by now.”
“Good Morning, and welcome to Domino lines. Arrival time at Sector 4 Station will be 11:45,” came the Conductor’s voice over the P.A.
“That means we've got only three more minutes to the ID checkpoint,” Mai said, getting anxious and leaving her seat.
“Alright, in three minutes, we're jumpin' off this train. Got it!?” Honda said, receiving nods from the group.
“Yugi, come over here! Let's look at the Railway Map Monitor. Hmm, it looks like you've seen this already... It's all right. Come a little closer,” Mai said pulling Yugi along with her. Suddenly a red light came on, flooding the car.
“That's odd. The ID checkpoint was supposed to be further down,” she said.
“Type A Security Alert!! Unidentified passengers confirmed... A search of all cars will be conducted! Repeat!! Type A Security Alert!! Unidentified passengers confirmed... A search of all cars will be conducted!” came a computerized voice over the speakers.
“What's happening?” Mai asked, knowing they were about to be in some serious trouble.
“That’s what I wanna know!” Honda said getting up from his seat.
Jessie came over to Yugi and Mai. “We're in trouble, I'll explain later. Hurry! Get to the next car!” she said then ran off to the exit door.
“*bleep*! Someone blew it big time,” Honda grumbled following Jessie and the other members of AVALANCHE into the next car. The next few moments went by in a blur as they raced from car to car to beat the security system as it began locking the car doors, preventing all passengers from leaving. When they reached the caboose, Honda let out a sigh of relief.
“Alright! We’re in the clear!!” he said. Yo!! This way!! Let's go!! We're gonna dive outta here!!”
“Pretty scary huh?” Mai said to the tri-color haired boy.
“Too late to be saying that now. Why'd you come along anyway?” he asked.
“Because…” she began, but was cut off by Honda.
“Hey you two! This ain’t the time to get all lovey-dovey! We’ve got a situation here!” complained the tall brunet, causing Yugi and Mai to blush profusely.
“All right, I’m going to do it!” Mai then jumped off the train.
“You want me to go first?” Yugi asked Honda after Jessie and her two comrades had escaped.
“A leader always stays till the end. Don't worry 'bout me, just go!” Honda said, trying to sound brave. “Yo! Don't go gettin' your spiky-ass hurt! It's only the start of the mission!” he called just as Yugi was about to jump.
A few minutes later, Yugi regrouped with Honda and Mai. “So good so far everything's going as planned. Better not let your guard down till we get to the Sector 5 reactor. The others got everything set up for us. So let’s MOVE it,” Honda said, then started towards their target.
As they headed into the reactor's core, Yugi suddenly collapsed, grabbing his head in pain.

Flasback/Vision
Mai was where they were now, but was several years younger. She was clutching her father lying on the ground, dead.
“Papa... Bakura!? Bakura did this to you didn't he!?” she said recognizing the silver haired man’s Masamune sword sticking from the man’s chest. “Bakura...SOLDIER... mako reactors... Kaiba Corp.... Everything! I hate them all!” The blonde girl then let out a heartbreaking wail as everything went black.

End Flashback/Vision

“Damn man, get a hold of yourself!” Honda said, helping the smaller teen to his feet.
“Are you okay?” asked Mai, deeply concerned for her friend.
“Mai…” Yugi began.
“Hai?”
“It’s nothing. Let’s go,” he said, then starting off again.
After setting the bomb, the three of them made it to the catwalks just outside the reactor’s main entrance only to be surrounded by Kaiba Corp.’s soldiers.
“It’s...a trap...” Yugi said, realizing they had been set up.
Just then, a man in a magenta business suit came out of the reactor. “Goza... Gozaburo Kaiba?!” Honda sputtered, recognizing the current head of Kaiba Corp.
“Why is the President here?” Mai asked.
“So you’re that group of thugs. What was it?” the president said, a smug grin on his mustached face.
“AVALANCHE! And don't ya forget it! And you're Gozaburo Kaiba, right?” Honda said, glaring at the man.
“Long time no see, sir,” Yugi said, flatly.
“Long time no see?” Gozaburo stared at the small teen. “Oh... you. You're the one who quit SOLDIER. I knew had to be one of ours, from the look in your eyes... Tell me, traitor, what was your name?”
“Yugi, sir.”
“Hmph! Forgive me for asking, but I can't be expected to remember all my employees’ names. Unless you were another Bakura that is. Now there was a brilliant success. Perhaps too brilliant.”
“Bakura......?” Yugi asked wondering where he heard that name before.
“Don't give a damn about that stuff! This place's goin' up with a big BANG soon!” Honda said, itching for a fight. “Serves you right too!”
“You are beginning to bore me. I'm a very busy man, so if you'll excuse me... I have a dinner I must attend,” the president stated as a helicopter came hovering nearby and he grabbed hold of the rope ladder dangling from it.
“Dinner!? Don't gimme that! I was just warming up!” Honda yelled.
“You vermin shouldn’t be so disappointed. After all, I did arrange for a playmate for you.” Gozaburo then snapped his fingers, laughing maniacally.
A huge Roboguard appeared ‘ka-sanents later splitting the party, Yugi on one side, Mai nad Honda on the other.
“Meet 'Airbuster', a techno-soldier. Our Weapon Development Department created him. I'm sure the data he'll extract from your dead bodies will be of great use to us in future experiments,” President Kaiba said, grinning. “Now then, if you'll excuse me.” The chopper then started to pull away.
Wait, Mr. President!” Yugi shouted.
“Yo, Yugi! We've gotta do somethin' about this hunka junk!” Honda called as the machine went into battle mode.
“Yugi help!” cried Mai.
Yugi, Honda and Mai fought the Air Buster, Yugi watched impressed with the blonde’s martial arts as he waited for an opening from his side. Shortly after defeating it, parts of the grating where Yugi stood broke off due to the robot’s exploding. Yugi then started to fall, but managed to hang on to a tiny part of the exposed wires.
“The reactor’s gonna blow, c’mon Mai!” Honda said grabbing hold of the blonde as she made an attempt to reach her friend.
“Honda! Can't you do something?” she pleaded.
“Sorry, babe. There’s nothing I can do,” he said, apologetically.
“Yugi! Please don't die! You can't die! There's still so much I want to tell you!” Mai yelled, tears threatening to fall.
“I know, Mai,” Yugi said, trying to be brave.
“Hey, you’re gonna be okay, right?” Honda asked.
“I don't know if I can hold on,” Yugi confessed as he felt his arm going numb. “*bleep* I can't hold on much longer. Honda Hurry!” Yugi yelled.
“Aw c’mon Yug, don't ya go cryin' like a girl now! There ain't nothin' I can do for you buddy. You’ve gotta try for yourself,” the brunet said, feeling extremely frustrated not being able to help his friend.
“Honda...” Yugi nodded.
“Alright, then, later.” Honda then pulled Mai into his arms and started to back away from the gap. Suddenly, the reactor blew, the shockwave causing Yugi to lose his grip completely and fall to the ground far, far below.

<<......You all right? ......Can you hear me?>> came the mysterious voice from before.
>>......Yeah......<< Yugi replied.
<<Back then...... You could get by with just skinned knees......>>
>>What do you mean by 'back then'?<<
<<What about now? Can you get up?>>
>>What do you mean by 'back then'?<< Yugi repeated. >>What about now? Who are you?<<
<<Don't worry about me. You just worry about yourself now.>>
>>I'll give it a try.<<
“Oh my! He moved!” came a woman’s voice.
<<How about now? Take it slow now. Little by little......>>
“Hello, hello?” the woman asked.
>>Who are you?<< Yugi asked, but the voice was silent again.
“Hello, hello!” the woman’s voice came again, more insistent this time.
Groaning, he started to sit up, seeing a dark haired woman in a white dress. “Are you alright? You’re in a church in the Sector 5 slums. The roof suddenly fell on top of me. It really gave me a scare,” she said helping him.
“I came crashing down?” Yugi asked.
“The roof and the flower bed must have broken your fall. You're lucky to be alive,” she replied.
“Flower bed...... is this yours? Sorry about that,” he said, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly.
“That's all right. The flowers here are quite resilient because this is a sacred place. They say you can't grow grass and flowers in Domino. But for some reason, the flowers have no trouble blooming here. I love it here,” the woman said, smiling.
“So, we meet again,” she said after a few ‘ka-sanents of awkward silence. “Don't you remember me do you?” she asked when she didn’t get a reply.
“I remember... You were selling flowers,” Yugi said, remembering buying a flower from this woman.
“Oh! I'm so happy! Thanks for buying a flower,” she said, overjoyed that such a cute boy would remember her. “Say, that crystal in your necklace is materia isn’t it?” she said noticing Yugi’s upside down pyramid. Set in the eye in the middle was a green crystal that seemed to crackle on the inside.
“Hai it is, but it’s nothing valuable. Just a common bolt materia.”
“Mine is special. It's good for absolutely nothing,” she said giggling and bringing a hand to the gold choker she wore. Yugi could see it had a eye in the same style as his at the center and set into it was a milky white materia crystal.
“Good for nothing? You probably just don't know how to use it,” he said intrigued by such a rare crystal.
“No, I do...... it just doesn't do anything. I feel safe having it, though. It was my mother's. Say, I feel like getting to know you a bit better. Do you mind? After all, here we are meeting again, right?”
“Not at all,” he still felt a bit shaken from the fall and he needed to get information how to get back to the Kame Game Shop in Sector 7. So he figured he’d chat with the woman for a while, then ask her for directions.
“Wait here. I've got to check my flowers. It'll just be a minute,” she said picking up a rusted wa tering can. “Just a little longer,” she said when Yugi came over to her, about to ask if he could help. “Oh! Now that you mention it! We don't know each other's names, do we? My name Isis, I’m the local flower girl. Nice to meet you,” she said bowing.
“The name's Yugi. Me? I do a little bit of everything,” he said.
“Oh...... a jack of all trades.”
“Yeah, I do whatever's needed. What's so funny? What are you laughing at?” He scowled when the woman couldn’t help giggling slightly.
“Sorry...... I just...”
Just then a teenaged boy with extrremely spiky platinum blond hair wearing a navy blue suit with the shirt untucked, walked in and sat in one of the rickety pews. Isis blanched, however Yugi failed to notice.
“Say, Yugi. Have you ever been a bodyguard? You DO do everything, right?” she asked.
“Yep, all kinds of work.”
“Then, get me out of here. Take me home,” she pleaded.
“OK, I'll do it... but it'll cost you,” he replied. He was still a mercenary after all.
“Well then, let's see...... How about if I go out with you once?” she said, her sapphire eyes sparkling mischievously.
It was then that Yugi noticed the boy sitting behind them, watching them with an amused smirk on his face. “I don't know who you are, but......” Yugi started, but got a feeling the teen know him from somewhere. “Do you know me?”
“Oh I know you alright,” the boy replied, still smirking.
“Oh yeah...... I know you. That uniform......” Yugi knew the navy blue suit the other boy was wearing was connected to Kaiba Corp., after all he had come in with a group of their guards who were watching from the door.
“Hey babe, this one's pretty weird lookin’!” the blond teen jeered.
“Shut up! You Kaiba Corp. spy!” Yugi spat.
“Marik-sama! Want him taken out?” one the soldiers asked, raising his gun.
“I haven't decided yet,” their boss said, cocking his head slightly.
“Don't fight here please! You'll ruin the flowers!” Isis pleaded. “The exit is back there,” she whispered to Yugi clutching his arm.
Marik looked on as the two made their escape towards the back of the chapel.
“Those were...... mako eyes,” he mused recognizing the tell tale glowing eyes of those who part of SOLDIER “Back to work, back to work. Oh! And don't step on the flowers,” commanded the blond Kaiba Corp. employee, stepping on the woman’s flowers.
“But Marik-sama, you just stepped on them!” one of his henchmen called after him.
“They're all ruined!” said another.
“You're gonna get sent to Hell!” whined the last.
“There they are, up there!” Marik shouted, seeing his prey had fled to the second level.
“Yugi... they’re…” Isis said, trembling.
“I know. Looks like they aren't going to let us go,” Yugi said putting himself between their pursuers and the flower girl.
“What should we do?”
“Then there's only one thing left,” he said, jumping across a large gap in the floor. Isis-san! This way! I'll hold them off,” he said waiting for her at the bottom of another flight of stairs.
“Okay! Make sure they don't catch up!” she said, steeling herself for the jump.
“The Ancient is getting away! Attack! Attack! Attack!” Marik called and the soldiers opened fire on the woman, causing her to miss the jump and falling back down to the basement.
“Isis-san!” Yugi yelled, concerned for his new found friend.
“Think we got ‘em?” Marik asked. “They shouldn't have resisted!”
“Yugi, help me!” Isis called, miraculously unharmed from such a long fall. One of the soldiers was now making his way down the basement stairs.
“Hold on!” Yugi called and dashed up to the attic rafters. Several barrels were stacked and the teen noticed one was placed in a similar location as the soldier after Isis. Pushing it over the edge, he watched as the barrel rolled down the basement stairs and effectively disabled the soldier.
“Thanks, Yugi,” the dark haired woman called as she began following their route once more. She screamed again as a second soldier began his pursuit. Yugi took care of him with another barrel and continued to push barrels off the rafters until Isis could escape safely.
Once they made it to the roof of the church, Isis paused to catch her breath.
“Ha, ha...... They were looking for me again,” she said, glad to get away without a scratch.
“You mean they’ve done this before?” Yugi asked, wondering what Kaiba’s goons would want with a civilian.
“Yes,” Isis said, solemnly.
“Those where the Ghouls.”
“Hmmm…” Isis mused, knowing all too well who and what Marik was.
“The Ghouls are an organization in Kaiba Corp.. They usually look for those suitable for SOLDIER,” her smaller companion explained.
“This violently? I thought they were trying to kidnap me.”
“They're also involved in a lot of dirty stuff on the side. Spying, murder... the usual.”
“They certainly look the part.
“Why were they after you? Do you have any idea?”
“No, not really. I think they believe I have what it takes to be in SOLDIER!” Isis said, keeping her secrets to herself for now. No matter how nice someone was, she couldn’t let anyone know about her past. Kaiba’s spies were practically everywhere.
“Maybe you do. You want to join?” teased Yugi.
“I don't know... But I don't want to get caught by THOSE people!” Isis said, shivering remembering the looks Marik had given her the last time she had run into him.
“Better get a move on then, before that Marik comes back with reinforcements,” Yugi said, jumping to the roof of the neighboring building.
“Wait... Wait, I said! Puff... wheeze... Slow......down... Don't leave me......” Isis called as she followed the former SOLDIER member from roof to roof.
“Funny...... I thought you were cut out to be in SOLDIER?” Yugi teased again.
“Oh! You're terrible! Hey...... Yugi. Were you... ever in SOLDIER?” she asked, just noticing the teen’s eyes glowed with mako energy.
“ ...I used to be. How did you guess?”
“...Your eyes. They have a strange glow.”
“That's the sign of those who have had mako injected into their system... A mark of SOLDIER. But, how did you know about that?”
“......Oh, nothing,” replied Isis, keeping silent once again.
“Nothing...?” he pressed.
“Right, nothing!” Isis gave him a stern look that said, ‘don’t push it’. “Come on, let's go, yojimbo (bodyguard)!”

“I'm, home ‘ka-san,” Isis called once they made it safely to a small cottage with a garden that was actually filled with flowers. “This is Yugi. My bodyguard,” she said when a middle aged woman with graying brown haired came from the kitchen.
“Bodyguard......? Don’t tell me you were attacked again!? Are you all right!? You're not hurt, are you!?” fussed Isis’s mother.
“I'm all right. I had Yugi with me,” reassured the younger woman.
“Thank you, Yugi,” her mother said, coldly, though unnoticed by her daughter as she went back to the kitchen.
“So what are you going to do now?” Isis asked the spiky haired teen.
“Is Sector 7 far from here? I want to go to Mai's game shop.”
“Is Mai...... a friend?”
“Yeah.”
“A girl...friend?”
“Girlfriend? Yeah, sort of,” Yugi replied, blushing.
“Oh, how nice,” Isis said, disappointed. “Well, that's nice. Let's see, Sector 7? I'll show you the way.”
“You gotta be kidding me. Why do you want to put yourself in danger again?”
“It’s not a problem really. These kind of things happen all the time.”
“Well, don't know... getting help from a girl.”
“A girl!! What do you mean by that!?” fumed Isis, hands on her hips. “You expect me to just sit by and listen, after hearing you say something like that!? ‘ka-san, I'm going to Sector 7 w8ith Yugi. I'll be back in a while.”
“But dear...” the woman pleaded, rushing from the kitchen. “I give up. You never listen once you've made up your mind,” she said seeing the determined look on her daughter’s face. “But why wait ‘til tomorrow? It's late.”
“I suppose you’re right, ‘ka-san.”
“Isis, why don’t you show your friend the guestroom?”
“We’ll need to go through Sector 6 to get to Sector 7. Sector 6 is a little dangerous so you'd better get some rest tonight. Oyasumi Yugi,” she said after making sure Yugi was settled in for the night.
“Geez,” he sighed, falling back onto the bed.
<<...seem pretty tired......>> it was that strange voice again.
>>.........!?<<
<<We haven't slept in a bed like this ...in a long time.>>
>>... yeah.<<
<<Not since that time.>>

Flashback/Dream
“My, how you're grown. I'll bet you never have to worry about getting a date,” a blonde woman said as Yugi lay back on his bed.
“Not really,” he replied, blushing.
“I'm worried about you. There are a lot of temptations in the city... I'd feel a lot better if you just settled down and had a nice girlfriend.”
“’Ka-san! I'm a big boy now. I can take care of myself.”
“You should have... an older girlfriend, one who wouldn’t mind taking care of you,” continued Yugi’s mother, not really listening to her son. “I think that would be the perfect type for you.”
“’Ka-san, please stop trying to hook me up. I'm not interested.”

End Flashback/Dream

“Darn! I fell asleep,” Yugi said, quietly getting out of the bed and sneaking down the stairs. “Let’s see, I have to go through Sector 6 to get to Mai’s. Shouldn’t be too hard if I’m by myself.


“Out for a morning jog?” Isis asked, the glare belying the cheery words as she stood by the entrance to Sector 6 and surprising Yugi.
“I couldn’t let you come. Not after you said it was dangerous,” he said in defense.
“Hmph! Can we quit the macho man routine please? You have to go through the slums in Sector 6 to get to Mai's game shop. I'll take you there. Come on!” With that, Isis pulled the smaller teen off toward the Kame Game Shop.
“The gate to Sector 7's over there,” Isis said once they stopped for a pause in an abandoned playground.
“Arigatou Isis-san. I guess this is good-bye. You sure you’re gonna be okay alone?”
“Ai ya! What ever shall I do!?” she replied in mock worry. “Isn't that what a girl would say? Well, I guess you could take me with you, but I’m sure you wouldn’t want a stranger like me in the way.”
“What do you mean ‘in the way’?” he asked, confused.
“Forget it.” She then climbed up on top of a mouse’s head that had a sliding board for a tongue. “Why don’t you come up here, Yugi. You can get better look.” Yugi shrugged his shoulders and climbed up next to her. “What rank were you?”
“Rank?”
“In SOLDIER.”
“Oh! Um…” He searched his memory for several moments, then a flash appeared behind his eyes.
“First Class.”
“Hmm. Just like him.”
“Him?”
“My first boyfriend.”
“Was it serious. Between you two?”
“No. But I did like him.”
“I might know him. What was his name?”
“I rather not talk about it, if you don’t mind,” she said, lowering her head, trying not to let the tears she felt welling up not to fall.
Before Yugi could say anything, the gate to Sector 7 opened and a chocobo driven cart came out. At the back was a blonde woman in a rather skimpy outfit.
“What the?! Mai?!” Yugi said, recognizing her.
“That was Mai? Where was she going? She looked kind of strange...” Isis questioned, keeping the more critical opinions to herself. She then jumped off the slide and started to run after the cart.
“You don’t have to go Isis-san!” Yugi called after following her. “I’ll take it from here.”
However, the dark haired woman just ignored him and continued further into the sleazier parts of Sector 6. Sighing, Yugi followed her, if anything were to happen to her, he’d never forgive himself.


Sakura: Whoo-hoo!!! Another chappie done!!!! Anyhoo, feedback onegai (please)!!!!!